Additions to Material Storage

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

This is wonderful. For the minor sigils please remove them from the game or make them not drop from salvage or classify them as junk so when you select sell junk they go away.

Classify as junk IF chosen by the player. I still use minor runes and sigils occasionally while leveling. And, there are a couple that turn a profit on the TP. So, classifying them as junk is a great idea (I proposed it myself a couple of years ago), but by choice of the player, not automatically.

Posted by: uropygid.3402

uropygid.3402

list looks great, thank you so much for tackling this project. I’m really excited to see it go live!

Die Historic on the Fury Road [MMFR]
Underground Salad Association [USA]

Posted by: Cerol Brisingr.1893

Cerol Brisingr.1893

• Luck. Since we can promote it through crafting, it needs to be in there. It’s a waste of space until processed and a pain to deal with.

You do know about “Right click -> Consume all”, right? It does not waste too much space and once a stack is big enough, just two clicks and it’s consumed. I’d hate having to go to a bank to finally consume luck I accidentially stored.

The hard part is not consuming it if you’re gathering luck for a crafting recipe. But that is a different story and rather rare.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Spiritwood Dowel

Deldrimor Steel Plated Dowel

What’s the difference between these?

Cooking Staples (new)

Loaf of Bread

Could this be changed to unbound|sellable while we’re at it? It seems strange that it’s account bound.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Lost Biscuit.1058

Lost Biscuit.1058

This is wonderful. For the minor sigils please remove them from the game or make them not drop from salvage or classify them as junk so when you select sell junk they go away.

This ^^ Classify minor sigils are junk so they are easy to get rid of. I’m no game coder, but I feel like that would be the simplest solution.

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

My concern with all of this is as you have said in the past, the space available is limited and you can’t really remove any once they have been added. So while you may be able to fit all these new mats in for now, when the expansion pack hits and inevitably many new crafting mats are added, will they all be able to fit? How about 2-3 expansions down the line? Has there been consideration for the long term implications of this system?

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

Posted by: MarkyMark.7615

MarkyMark.7615

Biggest impact I would LOVE to see on my inventory is the removal of minor sigils and runes from high level blue/green weps/armor. I don’t mean from the game, but just make them cheap to get from vendors in starter areas etc. They are worth virtually nothing, and with the “salvage all” option now it’s a full time job deleting/selling/merchant and and extremely annoying. Thanks for the improvements

Posted by: ZerotheFang.5890

ZerotheFang.5890

pretty much hit everything i need, only one thing may add just a suggestion but the jewelry items that have the Filigree on them could they be added cause some times i do have a tendency to well delete my jewelry making character and they are usually to cheap to resell.

where there is light, shadows lurk and fear reigns.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

If anything, I am looking for cuts to this list, not adds.

Let’s cut then :p

Core Refinements (new)
Jute Patch
Wool Patch
Cotton Patch
Linen Patch
Silk Patch
Gossamer Patch
Damask Patch
Jeweled Damask Patch
Green Wood Dowel
Soft Wood Dowel
Seasoned Wood Dowel
Hard Wood Dowel
Elder Wood Dowel
Ancient Wood Dowel
Spiritwood Dowel
Bronze Plated Dowel
Iron Plated Dowel
Steel Plated Dowel
Darksteel Plated Dowel
Mithril Plated Dowel
Orichalcum Plated Dowel
Jeweled Deldrimor Steel Plated Dowel

Not required ever since we can click through recipes while crafting

Rare Crafting Materials
Bloodstone Shard
Elonian Wine
Eldritch Scoll

Not required because you can buy those singly and right at the MF where you use them.

Ascended Materials
Anthology of Heroes
Augur’s Stones

See above.

Cooking Staples (new)
Baker’s Dry Ingredients
Baker’s Wet Ingredients
Cookie Dough
Dough
Simple Dressing
Candy Corn glaze
Cream Soup Base
Ice cream base
Poultry Stock
Meat Stock
Vegetable Stock
Staple Soup Vegetables
Tomato Sauce
Loaf of Bread
Salt and Pepper
Simple Stew Herbs
Stirfry Spice Mix
Pumpkin Pie Spice
Roux

See comment at the Core Refinement group.

Scribing Materials (new)
Lump of Glass
Linen Supply Sack
Green Wood Pulp
Soft Wood Pulp
Seasoned Wood Pulp
Hard Wood Pulp
Elder Wood Pulp
Ancient Wood Pulp
Copper Nib
Silver Nib
Gold Nib
Platinum Nib
Mithril Nib
Orichalcum Nib
Glittering Blotting Powder
Shimmering Blotting Powder
Radiant Blotting Powder
Luminous Blotting Powder
Incandescent Blotting Powder
Crystalline Blotting Powder
Coarse Paper
Rough Paper
Fine Paper
Smooth Paper
Quality Paper
Premium Paper
Extra Coarse Sandpaper
Coarse Sandpaper
Medium Sandpaper
Fine Sandpaper
Superfine Sandpaper
Ultrafine Sandpaper
Simple Scribing Kit
Basic Scribing Kit
Fine Scribing Kit
Journeyman’s Scribing Kit
Master Scribing Kit
Grandmaster Scribing Kit
Simple Finishing Kit
Basic Finishing Kit
Fine Finishing Kit
Journeyman’s Finishing Kit
Master’s Finishing Kit
Grandmaster Finishing Kit
Badges of Tribute
Coarse Book Cover
Rough Book Cover
Fine Book Cover
Smooth Book Cover
Quality Book Cover
Premium Book Cover

See above comment

Why doesn’t this:

No Instant Repair Canisters, Bank Access Express, Trading Post Express, Merchant Express, Revive Orb. Please just use these.

also counts for:

• No “components” has been my go to up til now but you will notice there are a bunch of things here that might be called “component”. The ways I softened but did not eliminate this rule is two fold: 1) allow a second tier of refinement like dowels and patches which are used cross discipline, 2) allow a number of scribing and cooking components that feel very core to the disciple and are used over and over throughout but did not have OTHER components in their ingredients which are also being added to storage (eg no herbed stocks because base stocks go in).

I’d say: if you craft 250 roux’s: use them! Otherwise, don’t even craft them until you want to use them. Same goes for the items you can buy from the MF attendant: don’t buy them (they’re next to the MF anyway) unless you want to buy them. Which is rarely enough, for the majority of people.

Posted by: Shiera.3152

Shiera.3152

I like all of these additions; and I would like to add my +1 for the following things

• Legendary Collection items (most notable Indigo Mushrooms and the Drops of Indigo Mushroom Milk)
  • Augur’s Stones
  • Grandmasters marks
  • The base materials for Grandmaster Marks (e.g. Vabbian Silk), since if the standard materials (e.g. Spiritwood) makes the list for storage then why not these?
  • Writs & Tomes of Knowledge

I’d also like to suggest Aetherkey pieces.
I know many will say that they belong on a keyring, but:

1. They are not keys, just pieces, and
  2. People have been wanting a keyring for a while now, it still hasn’t happened, and removing them from mat storage in case a keyring is added doesn’t sound too hard.

I would also like to add to the suggestion of Essences of Luck (all 5 tiers)
The ‘just use them’ argument only applies to players that have not maxed their MF, for those of us that have, using them is just a waste, whereas saving them is useful because it allows me to save them for use in for example guild hall upgrades.
I get more essences of luck that every other item on your list combined and I always have four inv spaces used on every char I use just to keep the luck they accrue, being able to clear out those four spaces on every char by depositing it would be a massive boost.

The new Legendary Weapon Tributes
Until I have refined them into Shards I often have up to several hundred of these lying around clogging up my inventory.
(Since I tend to buy all the ones that I would need for the current step in one go, as I presume most people do)

Fractal Research Pages
These definitely need to be included in mat storage.

A simple Vabbian who mainly does World Boss tours. I go by Shiera or Arisais.
I used to like to scout in WvW before the participation changes.
Also a Skritt-like hoarder of shinies.

Posted by: Cronos.6532

Cronos.6532

I’d also like to suggest Aetherkey pieces.
I know many will say that they belong on a keyring, but:

1. They are not keys, just pieces, and
  2. People have been wanting a keyring for a while now, it still hasn’t happened, and removing them from mat storage in case a keyring is added doesn’t sound too hard.

Key ring or equivalent is coming soon. Pieces are like sand, just use them and make the keys. Opening Aether chests isn’t worth it nowadays anyway

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
etherealguardians.com

Posted by: Gaesesagai.9421

Gaesesagai.9421

• No sigils and runes. I believe there are WAY better solutions to this problem.

The list looks great. Looking forward to it.

As for the sigils/runes, personally I would like a salvage-o-matic type of thing, like the two we already have for equipement and working in a similar way (option to salvage all sigils/runes of materwork/rare quality and manual only for exotic quality). I would buy these from the gemstore in a second. It’s not a necessity, but it’s definetly a convenient way to not get drowned in sigils/runes while out and about and salvaging.

Cheers!

Posted by: Sister Saxifrage.7361

Sister Saxifrage.7361

Reading this list has watered my crops, cleared my skin, and ascended my soul to a higher plane of existence. I wait in joyous faith for this frabjous day.

Posted by: Mantheren.5428

Mantheren.5428

Awesome list, looking forward to it.

I too would also really like the lumber cores, feldspar cores, pristine feathers and jungle grass seeds to make the list.

Posted by: anasazus.9407

anasazus.9407

I like the list as is. A question, though I know you mentioned the Bank access, merchant, BL trader and so forth as not being added to collectibles and I do agree. I wonder about a rework for the Revive Orb & Repair Canisters. My suggestion is to see if they can be added to the “Wallet”. While not exactly currency neither are Transmutation Charges. If there is no Technical limitation this would be nice. Revive Orbs already function from defeated screen so adding them to the Wallet would just make it more accessible account-wide and open up a bag slot. I was thinking of the Repair Canisters functioning similar to Transmutation Charges but displayed on the “Equipment” tab instead of “Wardrobe”. Just wanted to ask, no rush.

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

I’m seeing a lot of suggestions to put luck in storage. What we really need for luck is an eater or some craftable items for when people are maxed out, rather than storage. Storing luck when you have nothing to use it for isn’t very helpful (although if we do get things we ca craft from it then I suppose it then does actually need to be in storage).

Posted by: BoothbyTCD.2407

BoothbyTCD.2407

I love you. You are doing the work of the righteous.

Posted by: Yakez.7561

Yakez.7561

Revive orb to the wallet is a great idea!
Ending up hoarding them up. And missing them when they are needed, like once a week.

Gemstones, chack eggs, metal plates are huge..

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Very Awesome work indeed! Thank you for this. However having said that I am going to be a pain and suggest a few more items if I may, sorry. Please also ignore if someone else has mentioned them before me. So here they are:

General
Zinc Ore
Nickel Ore
Bauxite Ore

Being these are easily obtained (simply from mining) they are easily come by and as such should have their own spots in the bank and be able to be sent back to the bank. I would be VERY surprised if no one has mentioned these before I.

An additional Idea as to Structure – Fine Mats
I have one more request that I think is something you guys may have overlooked the last time you added things to the collection tab. That being for the Fine Materials set we now have 6 lines instead of the original 5. What this means is you guys could move the tier 6 mats (bones/bloods/fangs etc) from the side and place them in the bottom line so they can be all nice and neatly inline with the other tiers above them.

What I mean is, looking at the list top to bottom we would see tier1-6 mats looking all nice and neat and the other misc items to this section can be off to the side where the tier 6 used to be. Please my OCD begs you for this lmao.

Okay that’s all I have to say I think, but once again thanks for this! Especially the Doubloons, I have been waiting 5 years and hanging on to them for this lol!

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

Thank you for your work on this. Your effort is appreciated greatly!

Here are some notes on how we chose what:
• No SAB Baubles and Bubble Baubles. I spoke with the SAB designers and this is a
technical limitation with how that stuff all works in SAB.

I would think this would be better put in the account wallet than crafting storage. Maybe who ever is in charge of the account wallet needs to break it up into categories like crafting storage. Things like Core , Map currencies, Special Events/Holidays, etc.

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

Your list is fine. I reviewed my bank and my mule toons, I do have some things I would like to raise as an appeal. Please…..please…….make a slot for:

1. Tomes of Knowledge. I don’t want to consume them all because I want to save them until I know I need spirit shards, but can retain them to insta level a new toon if I want to.

2. Rare Crests (Rabid, Shaman, Soldiers, etc.) These work the same way as orbs for making amalgamated gemstones and should store where orbs store currently

3. I am drowning in Luck. I am maxed out so consuming it is a waste. I save it for the new year thing for guild hall deco so I need a mega place to hold it. Or you need to come up with a trader where I can turn it into something useful. If no mega slot, I’d take a slot and then also a thingy to consume it (like Mawdrey)

4. I may have missed it on your list. Unidentified Dye and Boxes of Fun need a slot. These are truly crafting items and They are very slow to get while you are saving them up for high level crafting.

With these additions, I think we’d have everything we need. Thanks so much, this update to storage is so very much needed!

I also would like Luck to be store-able.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

Awesome list Linsey, would love to see most of those make it to the game.

Things like lumber cores and other scribing materials that drop out in the world I feel would make a good addition, if something had to be sacrificed to get them my experience of the cooking profession (no idea if im in the minority or not) has been that I only craft exactly what I needed for what I’m making.

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: StarryNights.8952

StarryNights.8952

Add Tomes of knowledge please!

“Better never means better for everyone….It always means worse, for some.”
-The Handmaid’s Tale

(edited by StarryNights.8952)

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Exactly what are you suggesting to change in their functionality? Because I can’t see any effective change, just a rename to potion

Currently, writs of experience can’t be used on lv80 characters.

Which was probably done so people couldn’t insta-level their core masteries when HoT launched, but it’s probably redundant now. Any established account is going to either have their core masteries maxed out by now or be limited by mastery points rather than by experience, and any new account isn’t going to have that stockpile. Just make it grant a set amount of experience and have done with it, I think.

Mind you, that isn’t the current topic, but it probably is tangentially relevant.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Posted by: Oogo.4083

Oogo.4083

how about "Bottle of Airship Oil and “Indigo Mushroom”

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

For those asking for slots for specialty legendary collection things like bauxite ore, I’d like to ask, why do you need it after the legendary is done? I mean yeah, I also am loathe to just throw out anything — I’m still building up Henge seeds now that I’ve completed the druid backpack and holding on in case ANet has a reason for them to exist beyond the druid collection — but still. I think it would be better to ask that the things stop dropping once you have exhausted your need for them than that they get a storage slot with all the technical difficulty involved just so you can throw them out less often.

It sounds like the mushroom things actually can be used in an ongoing recipe, so those might make sense to get a slot. Yet on the whole the legendary collection items exist only to inch you along towards making your once per account item and the issue lies in still getting them when you can never use them for anything again.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

how about "Bottle of Airship Oil and “Indigo Mushroom”

Airship oil already goes into storage. If yours isn’t, you have a maxed stack in the mats bank already.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

-lots of stuff-

The core refinements and core cooking/scribing materials are being added because in the former case, they are used across disciplines, are beneficial to create in bulk and use on-demand later rather than go through the hassle of hunting down/clicking through recipes to get the needed lesser components (Most components are used in the final step of a finished good. Those are excluded. Components for the early steps of multistep recipes are definitely worth putting in the Material Storage, since it can be a while between crafting them in bulk and then crafting a final good with them.

Taking your Roux for example – There are dozens of foods that use Roux as an ingredient in an early step. So, it’s far less of a hassle to make a few stacks of that Roux at the start of the month, and then draw on it on-demand to cook whatever you’re making with it, replenishing it in bulk whenever you get low. No planning out exactly how much you need, then suddenly having to click 3-5 items deep in a recipe because you unexpectedly run out or need more than you initially planned.

While I wouldn’t mind seeing the Anthology of Heroes, Eldritch Scroll, Bloodstone Shard, and other high-end Mystic Forge materials being removed since they’re generally purchased on-demand upon reaching the forge, the Augur’s Stones require you to buy them at Miyani, then run all the way back to the crafting stations to use them, and a manual insertion at the bank. Just putting it in Material Storage removes a few hassles there.

Posted by: Vegeta.2563

Vegeta.2563

Core Refinements (new)
Jute Patch
Wool Patch
Cotton Patch
Linen Patch
Silk Patch
Gossamer Patch
Damask Patch
Jeweled Damask Patch
Green Wood Dowel
Soft Wood Dowel
Seasoned Wood Dowel
Hard Wood Dowel
Elder Wood Dowel
Ancient Wood Dowel
Spiritwood Dowel
Bronze Plated Dowel
Iron Plated Dowel
Steel Plated Dowel
Darksteel Plated Dowel
Mithril Plated Dowel
Orichalcum Plated Dowel
Jeweled Deldrimor Steel Plated Dowel

Cooking Staples (new)
Baker’s Dry Ingredients
Baker’s Wet Ingredients
Cookie Dough
Dough
Simple Dressing
Candy Corn glaze
Cream Soup Base
Ice cream base
Poultry Stock
Meat Stock
Vegetable Stock
Staple Soup Vegetables
Tomato Sauce
Loaf of Bread
Salt and Pepper
Simple Stew Herbs
Stirfry Spice Mix
Pumpkin Pie Spice
Roux

Scribing Materials (new)
Lump of Glass
Linen Supply Sack
Green Wood Pulp
Soft Wood Pulp
Seasoned Wood Pulp
Hard Wood Pulp
Elder Wood Pulp
Ancient Wood Pulp
Copper Nib
Silver Nib
Gold Nib
Platinum Nib
Mithril Nib
Orichalcum Nib
Glittering Blotting Powder
Shimmering Blotting Powder
Radiant Blotting Powder
Luminous Blotting Powder
Incandescent Blotting Powder
Crystalline Blotting Powder
Coarse Paper
Rough Paper
Fine Paper
Smooth Paper
Quality Paper
Premium Paper
Extra Coarse Sandpaper
Coarse Sandpaper
Medium Sandpaper
Fine Sandpaper
Superfine Sandpaper
Ultrafine Sandpaper
Simple Scribing Kit
Basic Scribing Kit
Fine Scribing Kit
Journeyman’s Scribing Kit
Master Scribing Kit
Grandmaster Scribing Kit
Simple Finishing Kit
Basic Finishing Kit
Fine Finishing Kit
Journeyman’s Finishing Kit
Master’s Finishing Kit
Grandmaster Finishing Kit
Badges of Tribute
Coarse Book Cover
Rough Book Cover
Fine Book Cover
Smooth Book Cover
Quality Book Cover
Premium Book Cover

See above comment

Why doesn’t this:

No Instant Repair Canisters, Bank Access Express, Trading Post Express, Merchant Express, Revive Orb. Please just use these.

also counts for:

• No “components” has been my go to up til now but you will notice there are a bunch of things here that might be called “component”. The ways I softened but did not eliminate this rule is two fold: 1) allow a second tier of refinement like dowels and patches which are used cross discipline, 2) allow a number of scribing and cooking components that feel very core to the disciple and are used over and over throughout but did not have OTHER components in their ingredients which are also being added to storage (eg no herbed stocks because base stocks go in).

I’d say: if you craft 250 roux’s: use them! Otherwise, don’t even craft them until you want to use them. Same goes for the items you can buy from the MF attendant: don’t buy them (they’re next to the MF anyway) unless you want to buy them. Which is rarely enough, for the majority of people.

I don’t agree to these needing to stay out. Like Damask Patches. Sometimes I need multiple, and I only have enough material to craft one at a time, since it’s timegated, and there it sits in my inventory. Same goes for other Patches or Dowels. Or cooking Baker’s Wet or Dry Ingredients, or even Loafs of Bread. Everyone that cooks knows you make a lot of those, so making some ahead of time saves time later on. Less room this crap takes up the happier I am.

Also like things in Scribing.. “Lump of Glass” which is a component to make other things, so that needs to go in. The only things that should be left out is the final product. Things that can’t be used to craft further.

What I do agree with is that stuff like Bloodstone Shard or Eldritch Scroll, or any expensive items via spirit shards that you are going to use right away don’t need to be on the list.

However I do hope Lumber Cores get put on that list. As they are currently, as soon as I get one I instant sell it on the TP as they have no use for me. It’s more annoying then anything.

As far as Marks to Crests, those really need a spot as there are a ton of those.

Mark (level 20)
Talisman (level 35)
Seal (level 50)
Medallion (level 65)
Crest (level 80)

There are 5 of each type. That’s 25 total.

This Guild Is Fire [PRUF]

(edited by Vegeta.2563)

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Support to add: Lumber Cores and the like. They drop from gathering and you can need to save them for a while.

Suggest to remove: Things bought from Miyani singularly (rather than bulk), and used only in the MF.

Complicated, so suggestion for different sollution:
I don’t see the need for Dowels, as they are made one at a time, and there’s no reason to make in bulk (unlike cooking). But Patches do need, as they are made five at a time, so in excess in every crafting but exotic. (Full set of MW uses 6, Rare uses 12)
Symmetry then asks both to be added.

Suggestion: Slash the Patch recepie to only produce one patch for 1/5 of the current materials. That puts it on equal footing with the Dowels, and much easier to just make what you need when you need it. With that change, neither Patches or Dowels need slots.

Posted by: Rabbi.5681

Rabbi.5681

Ok folks, here is where we are at with this material storage side project that I originally outlined here

Thanks for this great work, and I look forward to the result. One thing I’d like to ask is to please be proactive with adding content from the next expansion to material storage as well. Thanks!

Boogiepop Void.6473

Can we clean up some of the weirdly arranged lines? Like the T6 mats being off to the side instead of at the bottom of their respective rows?

While we are talking about things that need more uses: Airship Oil, Auric Dust, and Leyline sparks. These have so few uses that 99% of it that appears gets destroyed. Half of opening event chests in HoT maps is repeatedly destroying all of this to clear space. At least with barbed throns and leaf fossils you can sell them for little money.

(edited by Boogiepop Void.6473)

Boogiepop Void.6473

I understand the reluctance to add things because you can’t remove them (although why a system of mailing it back to people couldn’t work, like with the removed PvP stuff, is another question). But the posts repeatedly make reference to programming issues with adding things. How was mat storage set up, programmatically speaking, that it is causing issues adding more items?

Daddicus.6128

For Chef: I used to keep exactly one of many of the components in my bank, so when I wanted to use discovery, I could see all of the possibilities. I got rid of them when I ran out of bank space, and when I stopped needing most of them because I was done leveling most of my chefs. But, many people are still leveling chef.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

For what it’s worth, the list looks great to me. I don’t support any of the tweaks offered above. Just because it stacks and accumulates, doesn’t mean it belongs in material storage — I think the items you’ve chosen keep that balance.

Yea, I don’t get this either. About half of the items mentioned in the previous thread had absolutely nothing to do with crafting, so they have no place in mat storage.

Core Refinements (new)

Cooking Staples (new)

Scribing Materials (new)

See above comment

I disagree with you. These items are essentially base tier mats for these professions due to how many recipes use them. Its not as if they are used in 1 or 2 recipes and that’s it, they are used in almost everything you could want to craft. In light of that, your argument is very similar to saying

If you gather 250 mithril ore, use them! Otherwise don’t gather it till you want to use it. It doesn’t need to go in mat storage.

Because both mithril ore and these items are used in a huge number of recipes in their respective disciplines. Even though these are crafted, they are essentially base tier ingredients/materials for these disciplines, and should be treated the same as the other base tier ingredients/materials.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I disagree with you. These items are essentially base tier mats for these professions due to how many recipes use them. Its not as if they are used in 1 or 2 recipes and that’s it, they are used in almost everything you could want to craft. In light of that, your argument is very similar to saying

If you gather 250 mithril ore, use them! Otherwise don’t gather it till you want to use it. It doesn’t need to go in mat storage.

Because both mithril ore and these items are used in a huge number of recipes in their respective disciplines. Even though these are crafted, they are essentially base tier ingredients/materials for these disciplines, and should be treated the same as the other base tier ingredients/materials.

There’s a difference. If I want to craft an axe, I need ores. But to get those ores I need to go out in the world to get them (or buy them from the TP, but that goes for about everything, so I’ll ignore that for now).
Now, if I need to craft some nice soup, I need roux. I can stay at my crafting station to craft that roux (provided I have enough of the base materials stored). I would agree with them if the crafting change hadn’t been applied some time ago (the one that lets you craft sub-sub-sub recipes by going deeper into the tree)

The one ingredient that doesn’t fit that is the kind that is only available from local merchants (think the staples such as salt). But as you buy them in packets of 10, you’d be stuck with 9 of them if you only needed 1.

And saying that it helps with discovery while leveling the crafting, then why not add everything? I know soups that you craft at lvl200 which are also an ingredient for a lvl400 recipe. And ask yourself, how often do you craft a T1 dowel once you’ve leveled the profession?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I was thinking about the “It’s difficult to remove Material Storage tabs/spaces”, and I thought about the Miniatures storage tabs/spaces which have been/are removed.

I’m not sure what was meant by ‘difficult to remove’.

(If this gets merged, it would be somewhat off-topic to the merged thread, but on topic to the thread: Programmatically hard to change Mat Storage.)

Edit: missed the ‘m’

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t really get the need for Dowels and other base refined materials, but I’m not against them being added….as long as those items don’t prevent future items being added as needed as the game progresses in time.

Posted by: Vision.9074

Vision.9074

I have been, as all of us have, waiting for your update for a long time. It was pretty heartbreaking to hear what had happened with your data. It is good to see there is a strong list of additions and reorganization going into your update. No matter what the outcome, everyone should be happy you’ve taken the time to address a large QoL item.

After reading through your list and the comments and suggestions of others, I just wanted to share my feedback.

General
Someone posted in regards to deciding what makes the list now and what that means for the future. I think this is the most useful comment (one I’m sure you’ve discussed). Adding some things while precluding others now may make sense but as time goes on and more items are added, what happens to Mat Storage and how items are selected for viability? As you and other people have pointed out, Mat Storage is not the answer for everything. The LS map ‘currencies’ have proven that there is a fundamental change in how items behave: they are multi-currency and recipe ingredients in one. How do you sort something like that long-term? I believe from a long-term perspective, classifying them as materials is correct as eventually the currency requirement for existing players will eventually become null making them not valid for the “key ring.” As design philosophies change, so are the requirements to manage classification and handling of all of them.

Overfeeding Items
I’ve seen comments on various items that should or shouldn’t be added based on accumulation rate. I would definitely say that items that are dropped (fed) to players are higher priority items than chosen/bought items. I concur with the people that elect several of the MF items to be removed from the list. There is always a split in how people play the game, even from a crafting level. Some people get everything at once and others accumulate over time. Personally, I am a bit of both. The items I would like to see added are the scribing cores and the similar items that are dropped and fed to us. This also applies to Collection specific items. These, however, are more suited to be addressed in the post-acquisition state of the collection rather than by Mat Storage. Simply removing the drops after you’ve achieved the goal is the right way to address these items.

Luck is probably the only other niche that is worth commenting on here. Not having achieved max luck, I am still in the consumer state unless specifically needed for recipes but afterward these are crafting materials only and I believe strongly worth replacing a few of the other items on the list. I would also say that the ability to salvage essences for lower tiers is something worth adding since obtaining a Legendary Essence after maxing out means delete or bank slot.

Marks to Crests
I agree with the comments that Crests are effectively gems at this point in the game cycle, suiting probably 90% of usage to achieve Amalgamated Gemstones only and are fine candidates to be adding to the Mat Storage based on this. I do want to make a much larger suggestion about the entire square gem set: remove them or make them more useful. Without mapping everything side-by-side I can’t tell if they overlap with gemstones entirely as far as attributes go. The lower tiers cannot be promoted and at the rate they drop (or don’t drop) in-game, I feel removing them may be the best solution. The other solution would be to promote them work functionally like gemstones holistically, including Mat Storage. They are a weird niche in the game that doesn’t to seem have any consistency.

All of the work is appreciated! I definitely appreciate the “should” versus “can” attitude on vetting items.

Boogiepop Void.6473

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Ms Murdock did say that they are “technically limited” in how much they can put in material storage. I don’t recall seeing an explanation past that, other than its very time consuming to make changes (which is one of the reasons why it’s taking months for this update).

Anyone knows how ANet decides?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

There’s a difference. If I want to craft an axe, I need ores. But to get those ores I need to go out in the world to get them (or buy them from the TP, but that goes for about everything, so I’ll ignore that for now).
Now, if I need to craft some nice soup, I need roux. I can stay at my crafting station to craft that roux (provided I have enough of the base materials stored).

Okay. Now compare that not to ore, but to ingots. Don’t you see some similarity now?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Daddicus.6128

Ms Murdock did say that they are “technically limited” in how much they can put in material storage. I don’t recall seeing an explanation past that, other than its very time consuming to make changes (which is one of the reasons why it’s taking months for this update).

Anyone knows how ANet decides?

One of the big problems with writing a game engine is that it’s impossible to see the future. As time goes on, the limits nobody ever thought could matter begin to matter quite a bit. And, usually, for reasons completely unrelated the to the item they might want to change.

However, I applaud your question. One thing ANet does NOT do well is communicate with the players. If they told us the real reasons, we would most likely be a lot more patient.

Posted by: cadmiumgreen.8712

cadmiumgreen.8712

12. Experience data loss, resetting progress back to step 7, thus undoing all the hard parts I just did
13. Experience crushing demoralization and wallow in sadness for days while numerous people try to help recover work. This is why you should never save your docs locally and nowhere else.
14. Acceptance of lost data and thorough avoidance of redoing work while advancing through stages of grief

Data loss sucks, and I don’t know your infosec/IA plan, but do you guys not do nightly offsite backups or was there a backup failure? O_O I mean, I can see full revolt in the art department if a server failed and several days of paintings were lost in the mist. They’d come for your CIO armed with styluses and cintiqs, thirsty for blood, demanding revisions to your BC/DRP.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

For piles of silky sand, that some people have mentioned, I have a better solution: give us the ability to consume less than 10 of them, with lower odds of obtaining items. For example, consuming 3 would have 30% chance of giving us an item, and 7 would be 70%. Then add in a Consume All option, if there isn’t one already, and the issue will be fixed.

Piles of Sand need a QoL improvement, not storage space.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

This doesn’t really answer the question.

In the first post, she says doing the work is the easy part. If that’s true, it’s not programmatically hard, the problem is in being allowed to do it.

Posted by: Jayshua.5068

Jayshua.5068

I really don’t understand the Lumber cores not being on the Scribe list!

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

One reason might be that the data type being stored doesn’t easily exceed the current limit, or that some place else in their database → server → player client communication pipeline, there is an assumption about the limited material storage size that is not easily changed.

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

Amalgameted gemstones yes, but don’t really need the doubloon’s but am fine if you do.

Why the gemstones, but not the doubloons? Especially the doubloons should have an inventory slot as they are drops from the game.

You can get Gemstones from the meta events in HoT as drops via event rewards.

Now, if I need to craft some nice soup, I need roux. I can stay at my crafting station to craft that roux (provided I have enough of the base materials stored).

Okay. Now compare that not to ore, but to ingots. Don’t you see some similarity now?

Nailed it. I might be in the minority, but if I’m not then adding base components into the mat storage is great.

First, people who play GW2 and want to craft might use up all their mats to craft a bunch of the components. Say, you craft 90 Roux. You discover a bunch of soup but don’t have any more mats. You decide to continue crafting later, but you can’t deposit the roux! Should you sell it or destroy it? Or maybe you could just deposit it to use it later.

Same for dowels. Crafting should IMO be noob-friendly and not too offputting, so attracting an even larger playerbase by allowing better accessibility via mat storage is the best option.

I would say keep everything but the high-end items, namely the expensive Miyani vendor items (Bloodstone Shard, Eldritch Scroll come to mind – who would ever get to 250 stacks??)

Also for the Salt and Pepper component, I have gotten them from chests in the Troll’s Revenge JP, and couldn’t deposit them.

(edited by Abelisk.4527)