Additions to Material Storage

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

There’s a difference. If I want to craft an axe, I need ores. But to get those ores I need to go out in the world to get them (or buy them from the TP, but that goes for about everything, so I’ll ignore that for now).
Now, if I need to craft some nice soup, I need roux. I can stay at my crafting station to craft that roux (provided I have enough of the base materials stored).

Okay. Now compare that not to ore, but to ingots. Don’t you see some similarity now?

Yes. And were they not in the material storage already, and in this given list, I’d probably also be against them being added, for the same reason I think other half-products should not be added. Only base materials (staples). There being only one exception: the half-products that can only be crafted once a day.

Naturally, that would have meant that recipes like Recipe: Gift of the Moon, but also things like Bloodstone Bricks would have been different. So it does make kind of sense to add a few half-products to the list. But I simply see no sense to adding some half-products that will be hardly ever used (again, how often do you craft a T1 or T2 patch/dowel, once you’ve maxed your crafting profession?)

Amalgameted gemstones yes, but don’t really need the doubloon’s but am fine if you do.

Why the gemstones, but not the doubloons? Especially the doubloons should have an inventory slot as they are drops from the game.

You can get Gemstones from the meta events in HoT as drops via event rewards.

I know, but I wondered why Odin didn’t want the doubloons in there, but did want the Gemstones… (I’d like both!)

(edited by LadyRhonwyn.2501)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It turns out we tend to overproduce a lot of the items on Murdock’s list, so allowing them to be stored will make many of us feel less wasteful (and save us some time). So while patches & dowels aren’t strictly “materials”, they are commonly produced refinements that take up room. It will help a lot of people if they are stored.

To measure our current level of waste, I compared the TP values of the tradeable items on LM’s list with the TP value of the components. Generally speaking, the numbers should be ‘close’, since there’s no compelling economic reason to differ (no time gates, no barriers to learn crafting or recipes, etc.) For example, a dowel shouldn’t be drastically more expensive — or cheaper — than the mats used to make it.

And yet, many of these items are much, much cheaper on the TP than their components. The most notable examples are patches, which use up precious leather (and we all know how much of the community views its value). For example, Linen Patches run from 27-33 silver on the TP, but the value of the linen + rugged sections used to craft totals about 1.6 gold, roughly five times as much.

The only reason that happens is that people are constantly making more than they need by mistake & dumping it on the TP (thinking they’d rather get 20 copper on the silver, rather than nothing plus losing an inventory slot).

There’s definitely an economic downside for someone like myself who price shops before crafting, but as we’ve seen, lots of players don’t. That means adding patches to the material storage is going to be a huge QoL for a big subset of players (perhaps even a majority).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

This doesn’t really answer the question.

In the first post, she says doing the work is the easy part. If that’s true, it’s not programmatically hard, the problem is in being allowed to do it.

That’s not what she’s saying.

Generally, writing code to execute a plan isn’t as hard as coming up with the plan and testing it to make sure it only does what you expect (not a bunch of things you don’t expect). Managing data comes with its own headaches as well. Worse, configuring the UI isn’t trivial — it needs to (a) look decent (if not good) and (b) be functional.

Those of us who have trained to run marathons or ride centuries can tell you that the training is what separates out the try-hards — the actual ‘race’ does turn out to be the easy part.

I haven’t taken a stab at answering the OP’s question because it’s tricky to explain to someone unfamiliar with managing data. Here’s a horrid analogy:

You’re lucky enough to inherit land so you could build your own place for you & your spouse. You expect to have two kids and, because you’re close to public transit, you only need room for one car. So to save your money for holidays, for retirement & the kids’ college fun, not to mention rainy day, you build a 3 bedroom with a one-car garage.

Well then your 16-year old knocks up his girlfriend and her parents kick her out, so they come to live with you. Meantime, your spouse’s mom has Alzheimer’s and pop-in-law is getting knee surgery, so they both also come live with you. Your spouse’s job is now on the wrong side of town from the train, so you get a second car (to match your third mortgage to pay for this all).

So sure, you’d love to expand your house to make room for all that life has brought you. But first, you need a plan for where to put the new additions (second story? basement? add rooms? or expand the old ones? start from scratch?). And you need to find a way to play for this all and afford the increased taxes and maintenance costs.

It’s definitely doable; it’s just not as easy as “just make your house bigger” makes it sound.

(Programmers and database managers will be quick to point out the 137 flaws in the above analogy — that’s fine. I’m not trying for a good match, just to point out that “that sounds easy” is only easy to type, not to actually manage.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

There’s a difference. If I want to craft an axe, I need ores. But to get those ores I need to go out in the world to get them (or buy them from the TP, but that goes for about everything, so I’ll ignore that for now).
Now, if I need to craft some nice soup, I need roux. I can stay at my crafting station to craft that roux (provided I have enough of the base materials stored).

Okay. Now compare that not to ore, but to ingots. Don’t you see some similarity now?

Ah thanks, I knew I was forgetting something in my reply. Yes, we already have precedence for base tier crafted mats to be in storage. I’m not against adding the rest of them as well

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Hahah that’s a pretty good analogy. “And in the end, the house caught fire and the car exploded. Some people said it was an act of God, but you knew better: It was all the Client’s fault.”

Posted by: Artemis Hunter.5807

Artemis Hunter.5807

98% of the Scribe items in the list you only craft as you need need so don’t have extras. Only Scribe items taking up my bank slots are drops, like Pristine Feathers, Essences of Elegence, Feldspar Cores, Festive Transoms. and a few bought items I use a lot of like Pruning Spears, Crystalline Bottles.

Other item I didn’t see on the list is Indigo Mushroom which is for a recipe.

It would be nice if Black Lion Claim Tickets and Scraps went to wallet.

Would also be super nice if the dropable/buyable map keys went to a wallet (keyring) that was account wide and could be use automated on clicking a chest with any toon. Things like Bandit Skeleton Key, Zephyrite Lockpick, Exalted Key, Pact Crowbar, Silverwaste Shovel, Vials of Chak Acid, Tarnished Key, Aetherkey, Fractal Encryption Key

I agree it would be nice to see a converter for Essence of Luck, because once you reach 300% magic find and have tons of red lanterns and you guild is done, they just become junk.

Another thought – The unlimited harvesting tools, I know they are gems store items, but an idea covering this. 1) place them in a collection 2) let us select them like we do the miniatures, to choose what one we want on each toon 3) thereby making them account wide instead of having to flip them from toon to toon to toon. Likely a fantasy just in my head but would be so awesome. I have personally have 3 full sets of unlimited tools plus the watchwork one.

(edited by Artemis Hunter.5807)

Posted by: CattivoUomo.7198

CattivoUomo.7198

Anything to help with the battle of the bulge. Thank you. I’d still like to see endless potions going into an apothecary cabinet accessible from anywhere in the game, and also a toy box for all the gem store toys you can get. But, maybe we can hope for that in a future update. Also would like more uses for some of the items like the blade shards and unidentified fossils. Once you’ve made the items they make, there’s not much use left in them, really, yet we still get them.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

There are 6 lumber cores, which I would really, really like included. + Pruning shears.

I understand you’re looking to trim the list, so I propose leaving off these 7 items:

• Unid Fossilized Insect
  • Bottle of Elonian Wine – used in lots of recipes, but purchasable in single quantities as needed.
  • Eldritch Scroll – while used in many recipes, they’re purchased in single quantities as-needed.
  • Bloodstone Shard – only used in three recipes and generally purchased as needed.
  • Anthology of Heroes – only used in three recipes, purchased as needed.
  • Mystic Runestone – only used in four recipes, always in the quantity of 100.
  • Brick of Clay – while I’d like it included, it is only used in four very specialized recipes. With such limited use, it could easily be excluded.

Posted by: Gudy.3607

Gudy.3607

If anything, I am looking for cuts to this list, not adds.

Common Crafting Materials
Core Refinements (new)
Fine Crafting Materials
Gemstones and Jewels
Cooking Staples (new)
Scribing Materials (new)

Those I all agree or have no opinion on.

Rare Crafting Materials
Bloodstone Shard
Elonian Wine
Brick of Clay
Eldritch Scoll
Icy Runestone
Legendary Insights
Mystic Binding Agents
Mystic Crystals
Mystic Forge Stone
Philosopher Stones

Stuff that can only be bought directly from a vendor like Miyani or the Dry Top Vendors should not go into Material Storage, in my opinion. This includes the Crafter’s Backpack Frame which is currently in Storage but should IMO be removed.

Fractal Research Pages
That one acts more like a currency than a crafting material. Shouldn’t it go to the Wallet?

Ascended Materials
Anthology of Heroes
Augur’s Stones
Mystic Runestone

See above for vendor-bought stuff.

I’d also like to see a cleanup of the Ascended Material tab, while you’re at it. The non-existent Xunlai Electrum Ingot makes me cry, and so does the total disorder of the ascended crafted materials. The obsidian-refined materials have a nice order with the raw drop (e.g. Bloodstone Dust) in the top row and the refined material (e.g. Bloodstone Brick) directly below it. Please reorder the crafted materials to follow this as well, as far as possible: Spool of Silk Weaving Thread in the top row with Bolt of Damask below, Spool of Thick Elonian Cord over Elonian Leather Square, Lump of Mithrillium over Deldrimor Steel Ingot, Glob of Elder Spirit Residue over Spiritwood Plank, Crystalline Ore over Crystalline Ingots.

I’d personally like to see the Shards (Shard of Friendship, Shard o’ War, Shard of Endeavor) removed as well, because they are only used for crafting exactly one Legendary each and have otherwise no use.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

I’d personally like to see the Shards (Shard of Friendship, Shard o’ War, Shard of Endeavor) removed as well, because they are only used for crafting exactly one Legendary each and have otherwise no use.

Agree! Can’t see why they were added, you need a total of 290 of them, there’s no need to pre-make them, and it’s really a one time thing! Storage for Mystic Curio is enough.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

love the list, cant wait.

i would love to see lumber cores and related dropped scribing mats added to it.
i would not mind seeing dowels removed as i typically only craft as needed and leave my wood in log or plank form.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

The plan adds way more than I expected!

It also adds more sass than I anticipated. Hee. Thanks, Linsey!

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

Why there aren’t Bloodstone Rubies in the list?

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Why there aren’t Bloodstone Rubies in the list?

Because there’s already a material storage spot for them along with Petrified Wood, Fresh Winterberries, Jade Shards, and Fire Orchid Blossoms.

Unless you meant something else?

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

(edited by Endless Soul.5178)

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

dowels …. drool …. The only reason I do not refine them until they are needed now is because I know I will have to keep them in the bank or my inventory.

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

The refined materials used to craft the grand master marks should definitely fit into material storage. Would be good if the marks did too.

I don’t remember if these were a thing when you first examined what should go in, so it’s easy to see why they were missed.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Menadena.7482

Hmm, given there will be more items with future expansions it is good you are thinking now as to how to decide what is in and out.

Posted by: Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Changing the recipe for the plated dowels to use regular dowels instead of planks would allow you to cut a number of items from the list.

Making patches salvageable (hopefully for a 1:1 salvage ratio) would solve that problem, as well.

The higher priced Mayani items could be cut by allowing Mayani to buy them back for the same price they were sold.

Thanks for your hard work and I’m looking forward to the additions.

Posted by: Mogsterfortytwo.6712

Mogsterfortytwo.6712

• No Instant Repair Canisters, Bank Access Express, Trading Post Express, Merchant Express, Revive Orb. Please just use these.

How about you add a check and if the account has , say a permanent Bank Access or other permanent, it quits dropping them and drops something useful or make them so you can sell them for something instead of just flushing them to make room.
Tomes of knowledge and Black lion Chests please

Cannot agree with this enough. With shared inventory slots I feel winning the basic version when I own a permanent contract feels a lot like getting cheated.

Now for the constructive part!

How about instead of just checking, it distributes the odds of the disposable version between the others. Example – I have the Permanent BL access and Permanent Merchant (lucky me!); it would be nice if single use versions of those just gave me Bank Access ones instead. If you have all three, just remove them from the table all together or (ideally) replace the chance of them appearing with other common items (such as transmutation charges or dyes) that do not become wasted space at any point.

Another saving would be collection items (items that only have value as part of a collection). These shouldn’t go into material storage; they should be stored directly in collections (rather than filling inventory space) as they have no other point other than to tick a box on an achievement’s progression.

(edited by Mogsterfortytwo.6712)

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I understand the reluctance to add things because you can’t remove them (although why a system of mailing it back to people couldn’t work, like with the removed PvP stuff, is another question). But the posts repeatedly make reference to programming issues with adding things. How was mat storage set up, programmatically speaking, that it is causing issues adding more items?

Perhaps you missed the post by Lindsey where she explained the process, but … find it and read it, just the first post, before you finish with this comment.

Now, having done that, did you notice how there was one item on the list annotated with “<—- the easy part” ? I sure did.

…and it was the “implementation” of this. eg: it’s not technically difficult to put stuff into materials storage, full stop. It’s actually the easiest part of the whole project.

She did identify that some things were more technically difficult to put in there, which is likely down to how they are consumed in the game — as an example, crafting can consume from materials storage, right? If an item is used by an NPC, the code that manages that interaction needs to be able to consume from materials storage; that isn’t necessarily free, nor is it necessarily easy to implement.

That only hits a subset of things that have, effectively, “dual use”, in the game though.

Menadena.7482

(Programmers and database managers will be quick to point out the 137 flaws in the above analogy — that’s fine. I’m not trying for a good match, just to point out that “that sounds easy” is only easy to type, not to actually manage.)

Generally I phrase it as someone in another field knows as much about what it will take to do something in mine (programming) as I do in theirs (assuming I have no experience in it). Also the sooner I have the COMPLETE picture of what they want for an end product (not how they want to do it or just what they want now) the better as a perfectly valid response to a limited answer may make it harder to add in the pieces to get to the final step.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

To those suggesting ways to redesign the crafting and use of various materials in order to reduce the need for bank storage of same, I feel ya. I agree. But that’s completely outside the project described by Linsey.

She’s finding ways to fit item stacks into an existing system, working under various constraints of said system, and has asked our input into which items have the highest priority for players. I’m loving the constructive suggestions I’ve seen on changing How Things Work and wishing like heck I’d thought of some of them. Maybe they could move to their own feedback thread? It’s valuable stuff but it’s a step beyond the current scope as best I can tell from Linsey’s posts. So it’s a distraction from what she’s actually able to do.

I believe rearranging the game’s economy is a bigger deal than just moving stuff from bags to material bank slots.

Posted by: Artixera.5107

Artixera.5107

Personally i don’t see any reason to add the core refinements, if they make them into patches etc, i’d assume they’re gonna use them, why store it?

I would love for the 3 Fine Crafting mats to be addedl those take up inventory slots

For the Rare craft mats, i don’t understand the Miyani items, they’re typically also used when you’re buying them so why store them? fractal pages, chak eggs and such would be nice however

For ascended materials, a defenetively yes on the +1’s infusions and the vision crystals

For gemstones yes, would be great to store those

For cooking i got no idea what the items even are xD (i don’t cook >:D)

Scribing materials makes no sense to me either, when you buy scribe mats you typically create the decoration at the same time, so why store such items?

Maybe i just don’t handle the items described as much as other people do so i don’t understand why it would be convenient to have them in a material storage, but some of it seems unreasonable and some seems absolutely lovely to have!

Hope the feedback is usefull =]

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I understand the reluctance to add things because you can’t remove them (although why a system of mailing it back to people couldn’t work, like with the removed PvP stuff, is another question). But the posts repeatedly make reference to programming issues with adding things. How was mat storage set up, programmatically speaking, that it is causing issues adding more items?

“Here are some notes on how we chose what:

• No “components” has been my go to up til now but you will notice there are a bunch of things here that might be called “component”. The ways I softened but did not eliminate this rule is two fold: 1) allow a second tier of refinement like dowels and patches which are used cross discipline, 2) allow a number of scribing and cooking components that feel very core to the disciple and are used over and over throughout but did not have OTHER components in their ingredients which are also being added to storage (eg no herbed stocks because base stocks go in).

• No Inscriptions and Insignias. I just felt that there were too many and there were more important things that crafters were more likely to be holding on to for longer.

• No sigils and runes. I believe there are WAY better solutions to this problem.

• No legendary gifts. Too many. Too niche.

• No Piles of Silky Sand. Just consume them, geez.

No SAB Baubles and Bubble Baubles. I spoke with the SAB designers and this is a technical limitation with how that stuff all works in SAB.

• No WvW Blueprints. I spoke with the WvW designers and they felt that this would create a bad user experience for players who legit use blueprints.

No Black Lion stuff. There is a combination of technical issues and a lack of desire for those to work that way.

• No Boosters, Tonics, Foods (general food consumables not the core cooking ingredients), utility buff, and potions. Just no. Seriously. There are way too many and there is a whole host of reasons why you just get a no.

• No Instant Repair Canisters, Bank Access Express, Trading Post Express, Merchant Express, Revive Orb. Please just use these.

EDIT: This was partially cut off.

• No Luck. Just no.

• No trophy items that make specific decorations etc for the guild hall. Too many. Too niche.

• No keys. There are better solutions for keys that we have not yet had time to pursue and I want to leave room for us to do those things instead."

…Lindsey lists 2 sets of items that have “technical difficulties”… Black lion items and SAB items… I see no repeated pattern of her saying what you stated in your bolded comment.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Wonderly.1324

Wonderly.1324

Hey Lindsey! Great list! And thanks for putting in all the hard work (twice).

I think Golden Fractal Relics should be added to the list for the same reason that chak eggs and reclaimed metal plats and unid fossils are on the list.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t mind if you eliminated everything from cooking materials and scribing and dowels because the player has the option to make (or not make) those in single unit increments. Even if it’s used cross profession and a player has different crafting professions and different characters (as I do), they can still craft the needed quantity and store it in the bank, to be used directly from the bank, on character swap.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Well Linsey has mentioned twice now something about a cap on how many items can be in mat storage before that code needs a major overhaul, so that’s a limitation they have to work around. And don’t forget that they are most likely going to be adding more items to it with the next expansion and LWS4, so making a list that adds the most requested items while still leaving room for future additions was important.

And on Reddit, she had a very curious reply to one question. She said here https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/6gd2iy/update_to_linsey_murdocks_material_storage_side/dit1jbc/?context=1

Ya know what? I would LOVE to. It would give me great pleasure to be able to move items from one bucket to another, but sadly, that is FOREVER forbidden. The tech can’t handle it appropriately and it makes me very sad, but this is one of those things we just have to accept. Once an item exists in storage, it cannot be removed and cannot be moved from one bucket to another.

I don’t know why this is the case, but it is. So it seems that the difficulty lies not in the programming, but in deciding what is important enough to add to mat storage, since there is limited space in there short of a much larger revamp, and once something is added it cannot ever be removed from mat storage (again though, for reasons we don’t know). This is likely where the difficult work came in.

Posted by: Fifth.8169

Fifth.8169

Essence of Elegance — also the stuff for crafting guild armor/weapons i.e Tenebrous Crystal. also stuff like glass mug and empty keg would be good

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Essence of Elegance — also the stuff for crafting guild armor/weapons i.e Tenebrous Crystal. also stuff like glass mug and empty keg would be good

Pretty sure Tenebrous Crystal, and such, are already on the list. =)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Pretty sure Tenebrous Crystal, and such, are already on the list. =)

Also I’m not sure why anyone would make more kegs or mugs than they need. Either donate them to a guild as you make them or sell them for teh moniez! They aren’t an ingredient in anything, are they?

Posted by: highlandish.9784

highlandish.9784

i would also love to see infinite stacking, instead of the default of 250

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

i would also love to see infinite stacking, instead of the default of 250

Stack amounts are stored as 8 bit unsigned ints. Nothing to be done there.

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

Sorry to hear about that data loss, but I must say reading this post was a bright spot in my day! Looking forward to seeing these additions in production.

Posted by: Mal.1670

Mal.1670

This is fantastic, gonna save so much bank space

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

Well, at least it will be happening. Sad that I destroyed nearly 3000 blade shards because it looked like we weren’t going to get any relief. I’ve also destroyed at least 3 stacks each of the crystals from the guild hall.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Goddess Lexy.7148

Goddess Lexy.7148

First off, awesome list and ty for doing all this work… twice.

Anywho, I didn’t see it mentioned (maybe it was), but is there maybe a place for tomes of knowledge or perhaps a consume all option that can be added to it? I ask because I have over 4 stacks and I know there are plenty of other people that have lots more!

Thanks for all your time and effort into this stuff ^.^

Game on.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

First off, awesome list and ty for doing all this work… twice.

Anywho, I didn’t see it mentioned (maybe it was), but is there maybe a place for tomes of knowledge or perhaps a consume all option that can be added to it? I ask because I have over 4 stacks and I know there are plenty of other people that have lots more!

Thanks for all your time and effort into this stuff ^.^

Game on.

They’ve pretty much said that for Tomes and XP scrolls, “just use them”. So they’re not likely to be added. A Consume All option for Tomes would be nice though! (And a Consume All option for all alcohol too. Seriously, that achievement is just a RSI lawsuit waiting to happen…)

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

I have a guild bank tab full of cooking supplies that thank you for this list. Just today I bought the bundle of 10 philosopher stones to attune 2 rings and have the other 8 PS taking up a bank tab, 1 spirit shard was valuable back in the day, those bad boys aren’t getting deleted, NO SIR!

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

Just out of curiosity though, if something can’t be deposited and isn’t stackable (like salvage kits, mining tools or ascended rings of the same type), how hard is it to make them stackable?

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

Posted by: hgkmaxymus.9321

hgkmaxymus.9321

Love this list and would applaud if even half of these items made the final version.

As far as things to cut, I would question the need for space for stuff you buy from Miyani (eldritch scroll, philosopher stones, etc). Given that those items are only used in the mystic forge, having them purchasable right next to the forge makes them easy enough to get to as is.

Just my input though. Maybe someone had a good reason for including them.

They were very popular suggestions and the way I figure it is that you can often be left with extras or be holding on to them for a long time before use. Those are the lowest priority items and I would cut them first if I find myself in an absolute NEED to cut anything. Right now, I am OK with shipping this list as is.

Thank you! I often find myself with extras since we have to buy them in a pre-determined amount. If you have to cut it later, maybe change the npc to sell less of them somehow… :/ (don’t know how, since it’s 1 spirit shard to get 1 bundle)

This is MADNESS!!!

Posted by: deadman.1762

deadman.1762

I would add:
- scribing materials that you get often from normal activities : harvesting (lumber cores, feldspar core and jungle grass seeds) + very common mob loot (Strategic defense Map of the Mists (got a real lot of those from just playing WvW once in a while) & pristine feather)
- all grandmaster marks (but not the junk used to create them as those won’t be used elsewhere) Well, it is much more logical to have those than your fractal pages…

I would remove:
- all dowels except the mithril one (only because it is very often used, the others will use lots of slots and be always empty for most players…)
- Unid Fossilized Insect has no place there as it has no use outside being a single vendor currency (on the same map it is found)
- items bought from the mystic forge vendor are probably not needed except those you can’t buy one at a time (mystic crystals and philosopher stones)
- from the current list, I’d really remove all items linked to a single precursor (the now 3 shards of XXX) as the “mystic curios” does the main job for all of them and the currency component is very easy to get on many maps

I didn’t really check the cooking or scribing ones (it is so unfun to use, you only craft there when you want to level it or if you really really need a specific food/item for your guild) It would be way better to have a rework of the crafting system so that it crafts automatically all the subcomponents if all the base materials are available in storage (even if it doesn’t detail what is missing – that part is probably too much work programming wise, more than the feature). If you are told it is not a feature on a not too distant expansion then I guess, your list is the minimum… (probably that no player wants to go the hassle of checking every item there like you did so you are the most competent person to know what is best to make those 2 disciplines bearable)

Posted by: Raven.1524

Raven.1524

I loled:
“No Piles of Silky Sand. Just consume them, geez.”

:D

Posted by: darkfiremew.5937

darkfiremew.5937

You are my hero, LinseyMurdock, for taking the time and making that list. As an on again off again crafter, there are a lot of materials that I need for a short while, but then I have to sell or destroy them until I realize that I need them for the next profession. This update, if you manage to actually implement it, will save me a lot of bag space across all of my account. I hope that the agony resist items are for all of their numbers, but that is wishful thinking on my part. Thank you again for your hard work and I can hardly wait to see this beautiful quality of life change be implemented in the game and good luck with all of your projects.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

You are my hero, LinseyMurdock, for taking the time and making that list. As an on again off again crafter, there are a lot of materials that I need for a short while, but then I have to sell or destroy them until I realize that I need them for the next profession. This update, if you manage to actually implement it, will save me a lot of bag space across all of my account. I hope that the agony resist items are for all of their numbers, but that is wishful thinking on my part. Thank you again for your hard work and I can hardly wait to see this beautiful quality of life change be implemented in the game and good luck with all of your projects.

You do know you can just upgrade them to +9 at the fractal vendor right? went from 1½ characters full of stuff to 3 for slots in one doing that.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Thank you, this will be a very nice QoL and is much appreciated.

Here is also hoping that the currencies are able to find their ways into the wallet and a future key chain.

From gamer to gamer: We lovez you long time.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: Kalendraf.9521

Kalendraf.9521

Regarding all intermediate crafting items (refined materials, cooking, scribing), was any thought given to revamping crafting as a whole to instead support direct mat to final item crafting, once a recipe is unlocked?

To support incremental discovery and different crafting levels, having a range of intermediate items makes sense. However, once a character has learned the recipe for crafting of an item, I suspect many players would prefer to be able to just grab the needed raw materials and directly craft the item. The time for that crafting step could be setup to include all the time that would be needed to make individual items. (e.g. If an item needs 20 intermediate items which would require 1 sec each to craft, make direct material to item crafting take 20 seconds). Incorporating that type of feature would greatly reduce the need to craft and store intermediate items.

Since the final item might require more than 4 components, the UI panel for direct mat to item crafting would possibly need to be changed. The guild panel for upgrades allows for many items to be listed, and that might serve as a possible template for how this could be implemented.

HoD – [CV] Charter Vanguard

(edited by Kalendraf.9521)

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Thanks for taking this up Linsey!

I would love to see all of these in storage, but if I had to choose which items to eliminate from your long list, these are what I would choose to NOT make it into storage.

Core Refinements (new) All of these are items that are regularly crafted and with the exception of the ascended items and items crafted with ascended mats, are relatively cheap to make and sell. I would leave them out.
Jute Patch
Wool Patch
Cotton Patch
Linen Patch
Silk Patch
Gossamer Patch
Damask Patch
Jeweled Damask Patch
Green Wood Dowel
Soft Wood Dowel
Seasoned Wood Dowel
Hard Wood Dowel
Elder Wood Dowel
Ancient Wood Dowel
Spiritwood Dowel
Bronze Plated Dowel
Iron Plated Dowel
Steel Plated Dowel
Darksteel Plated Dowel
Mithril Plated Dowel
Orichalcum Plated Dowel
Deldrimor Steel Plated Dowel
Jeweled Deldrimor Steel Plated Dowel

Rare Crafting Materials The ones I left below can be eliminated IMO because those that you buy for the MF, you usually know mostly what you need and can buy exact amounts. You don’t have to have them in storage. Others are things you manufacture or can spend easily enough. All a very situational and don’t need to be included IMO.
Bloodstone Shard
Elonian Wine
Brick of Clay
Eldritch Scoll
Fractal Research Pages
Icy Runestone
Legendary Insights
Mystic Binding Agents
Mystic Crystals
Philosopher Stones

Ascended Materials Same as rare crafting mats above
Anthology of Heroes
Augur’s Stones
Lesser Vision Crystal
Vision Crystal
Gemstones and Jewels

Cooking Staples (new) These you can make exactly what you need or close to it. Other than accidental over production of these, I don’t see a need to store them. Just make what you can use and you wont have to store them.
Baker’s Dry Ingredients
Baker’s Wet Ingredients
Cookie Dough
Dough
Simple Dressing
Candy Corn glaze
Cream Soup Base
Ice cream base
Poultry Stock
Meat Stock
Vegetable Stock
Staple Soup Vegetables
Tomato Sauce
Loaf of Bread
Salt and Pepper
Simple Stew Herbs
Stirfry Spice Mix
Pumpkin Pie Spice
Roux

Posted by: Lillis.9473

Lillis.9473

Very nice job and I appreciate all the work. As for what can be trimmed:

I think any of the direct currency type items can be excluded, such as unidentified insects, though it would be nice if they stacked. For Chak eggs and such, could we still spend them if they were in material storage or would we need to retrieve them first? That would make a big difference in preference.

Miyani stuff can be bought as needed. I see no need to stockpile this. At most I have a couple of things sitting around due to denominators.

While I would love to dump all of these intermediate crafting materials into storage, I would prefer if we could just go to the highest level we need and have it calculate all the way down through the tiers to determine how many we could make. Face it, we will get plenty new doodads and mats and currencies in the future. How big is this bank going to get? Make the intermediate materials relevant for leveling crafting, then leave them behind.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Thanks for taking this up Linsey!

I would love to see all of these in storage, but if I had to choose which items to eliminate from your long list, these are what I would choose to NOT make it into storage.

Rare Crafting Materials The ones I left below can be eliminated IMO because those that you buy for the MF, you usually know mostly what you need and can buy exact amounts. You don’t have to have them in storage. Others are things you manufacture or can spend easily enough. All a very situational and don’t need to be included IMO.
Mystic Crystals
Philosopher Stones

These two you cannot buy exact amounts (which is why I left them out of my list).

Ascended Materials Same as rare crafting mats above
Lesser Vision Crystal
Vision Crystal
Gemstones and Jewels

Lesser and normal Vision Crystals are drops from some achievements, and from bags. You cannot control getting them. Same for gemstones and jewels.

All the others, I couldn’t agree more with you.

Posted by: Peter Panda.5629

Peter Panda.5629

I see a lot of people advocating for cutting mystic Mystic Crystals and Philospher Stones, so I have to chime in and defend their position on the list. If you want to cut, cut elsewhere, please. Crystals and Philospher Stones always, ALWAYS leave leftovers.
Anything that’s account bound and easily creates leftovers should absolutely remain on the list. It’s a very exhaustive list and certainly has omissible items, but Crystals and Stones are not one of them. In fact, they’re most certainly on my top 10.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

I see a lot of people advocating for cutting mystic Mystic Crystals and Philospher Stones, so I have to chime in and defend their position on the list. If you want to cut, cut elsewhere, please. Crystals and Philospher Stones always, ALWAYS leave leftovers.
Anything that’s account bound and easily creates leftovers should absolutely remain on the list. It’s a very exhaustive list and certainly has omissible items, but Crystals and Stones are not one of them. In fact, they’re most certainly on my top 10.

Fully agree!

Stuff that is
1) Bought from Miyani
2) in ones rather than bundles, and
3) Only MF
can be cut.