Addons?!

Addons?!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eviscera.9703

Eviscera.9703

This is something i’ve really missed in the game. Addons makes the gameplay so much easier and enjoyable! For example… an addon that tells you when your important skills (Heal, Stealth etc) finishes from cooldown. It could be a Message popping up above your character like: ‘’Heal skill ready!’’ or ‘’Low on initiative’’ etc.
This isn’t really a major issue, because Anet have more important things to take care of. But it would make me and probably many others really happy if this was implented. Having this mechanic would make the gameplay so much more enjoyable, especially for elementalists.

Maybe Anet already made a statement? Whats your thougts about this?

Addons?!

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

So you want add ons that act as a crutch? Make it easier for you to manage your cooldowns?

Really?

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Addons?!

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

This is kind of a dead horse topic already, but….

Anet has already stated they won’t allow addon support. And in my own opinion, I don’t really care either way. Addons in WoW played the game for you. I’d hate to see that here.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Addons?!

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

the combat mode mod is the only thing that I would remotely find appropriate.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Addons?!

Posted by: peterpat.8196

peterpat.8196

ArenaNet said from the beginning on, we should play the game, not the User Interface. So it will never(?) be combat-supporting addons, that are telling you “Heal skill ready” or “Low on initiative”.
On the other hand, some not-combat improvements/ addons would be nice. Since there are just few options to customize things. (E.g. Guild-mate logged in/ a clock with seconds/ something was sold on the TP/ whatever just few players would like to have and would spend their own time to get it).

Addons?!

Eviscera.9703

@Vorch is probably right, the game isn’t really that complicated but small Addons would still be useful in combat.

@SpyderArachnid Yea, i played WoW also and the addons went abit overboard there. But i’m talking about small addons that won’t really effect anything in the game.

@SteepledHat Yes.

Addons?!

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Addons makes the gameplay so much easier

Exactly why I dislike AddOns, and I love how ArenaNet do not want them in their game.

Addons?!

Posted by: jwburks.9735

jwburks.9735

I don’t know about you, but I remember playing a certain game for years called Warhammer Online. That game didn’t have many restrictions in the add-on department, so eventually a certain one called “Nerfed Buttons” got popular, well at least it did to a few so-called top players. Essentially, you could set this thing up to play the game using only 1 button. That one button changed depending on the situation. Somehow this was totally fine with the devs at Mythic. Not so fine with everyone else getting their face crushed in by kids who were pressing one button over and over. That’s literal face-rolling. :-/

So now everyone has to play pretty much by the same rules as the next person, on equal ground. We have a total of 1-5 weapon moves, and 6-0 utility keys. Tell me what an add-on would be needed for, exactly? Is this a DPS meter thing?

We heard . . . we listened . . . we ignored.

Addons?!

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

there is an option you can activate in the option panel that shows you the exact cooldown of your skill so you can know exactly when a skill will be available. i have it on and helps me a lot, check it out

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Addons?!

Eviscera.9703

I don’t know about you, but I remember playing a certain game for years called Warhammer Online. That game didn’t have many restrictions in the add-on department, so eventually a certain one called “Nerfed Buttons” got popular, well at least it did to a few so-called top players. Essentially, you could set this thing up to play the game using only 1 button. That one button changed depending on the situation. Somehow this was totally fine with the devs at Mythic. Not so fine with everyone else getting their face crushed in by kids who were pressing one button over and over. That’s literal face-rolling. :-/

So now everyone has to play pretty much by the same rules as the next person, on equal ground. We have a total of 1-5 weapon moves, and 6-0 utility keys. Tell me what an add-on would be needed for, exactly? Is this a DPS meter thing?

You’re talking like it’s going to destroy Gw2. I’m talking about SMALL Addons like a cooldown message for the most important skills like the Healing skill and Elite skills. It’s not going to be a 1 button smash contest <.<….

Addons?!

Posted by: jwburks.9735

jwburks.9735

You’re talking like it’s going to destroy Gw2. I’m talking about SMALL Addons like a cooldown message for the most important skills like the Healing skill and Elite skills. It’s not going to be a 1 button smash contest <.<….

So you want them to enable add-on authoring just for this one thing? Why not ask them to put it into the game, in the ideas forum?

We heard . . . we listened . . . we ignored.

Addons?!

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

Anet has already stated they won’t allow addon support. And in my own opinion, I don’t really care either way. Addons in WoW played the game for you. I’d hate to see that here.

Incorrect. If they played the game for you then the addon would be banned. All the addons did was add or condense information on your screen to make it easier to see or add UI features that the programmers didn’t bother adding or didn’t have time to. Not a single addon played the game for you.

The real reason AreanaNet won’t allow addons is because it takes a lot of manpower time to program the API and test it. This being a free to play game doesn’t bring in the money like other subscription based games.

I personally believe that a simple addon system that allows you to customize the UI layout of the game would help it a lot.

ArenaNet said from the beginning on, we should play the game, not the User Interface. So it will never(?) be combat-supporting addons, that are telling you “Heal skill ready” or “Low on initiative”.
On the other hand, some not-combat improvements/ addons would be nice. Since there are just few options to customize things. (E.g. Guild-mate logged in/ a clock with seconds/ something was sold on the TP/ whatever just few players would like to have and would spend their own time to get it).

Hell if they just allowed me to move my current target’s health bar frame to the bottom of the screen also give me a kitten better pet frame I would be happy. I can’t even see what buffs/debuffs my pet has without targeting it.

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

(edited by krojack.4920)

Addons?!

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

you already have third party software help, which are autotargettting and tab target.

I took an arrow to the knee

Addons?!

krojack.4920

Exactly why I dislike AddOns, and I love how ArenaNet do not want them in their game.

It’s all because YOU don’t like it even though you don’t have to use them. The whole “I don’t like them so you shouldn’t use them either” excuse.

Addons?!

Eviscera.9703

you already have third party software help, which are autotargettting and tab target.

I use them and i love it. I would like to see more options in the game menu that people can chose to Enable or disable, An example would be Cooldown messages that pop up above your character when certain skills are ready.

Addons?!

SpyderArachnid.5619

Incorrect. If they played the game for you then the addon would be banned. All the addons did was add or condense information on your screen to make it easier to see or add UI features that the programmers didn’t bother adding or didn’t have time to. Not a single addon played the game for you.

There is tons of addons in WoW that play the game for you. Just look at Healbot, DBM, that addon that flashes what skills to click at certain times (can never remember the name), XPerl, Gatherer, Auctioner, etc.

All these addons do things for you that you used to do normally. DBM? Don’t need to figure anything out in boss fights anymore. This addon tells you exactly what is coming and when to move and what to do. Healbot? Easy to click bars that do all your healing for you so you don’t have to hotkey and bind everything yourself. Auctioner? Shop from the AH without going to the AH, catch deals before anyone can, etc. Gatherer? No more searching for nodes anymore. Just download the data from the site and it shows you everything on your map. There is even addons that reveal the entire map for you before you even discover it.

Point is, there is tons of addons that do things for you that you would normally have to do yourself. These so called “ease of access” addons actually play WoW for you basically to the point you don’t even have to try anymore.

Those are the kinds of things that we don’t need in GW2. I don’t mind cosmetic addons like something to pretty up your UI. Sure go for it, more power to you. But when addons start doing things for you that require no thinking for yourself, then it’s gone too far.

Addons?!

krojack.4920

There is tons of addons in WoW that play the game for you. Just look at Healbot, DBM, that addon that flashes what skills to click at certain times (can never remember the name), XPerl, Gatherer, Auctioner, etc.

All these addons do things for you that you used to do normally. DBM? Don’t need to figure anything out in boss fights anymore. This addon tells you exactly what is coming and when to move and what to do. Healbot? Easy to click bars that do all your healing for you so you don’t have to hotkey and bind everything yourself. Auctioner? Shop from the AH without going to the AH, catch deals before anyone can, etc. Gatherer? No more searching for nodes anymore. Just download the data from the site and it shows you everything on your map. There is even addons that reveal the entire map for you before you even discover it.

Point is, there is tons of addons that do things for you that you would normally have to do yourself. These so called “ease of access” addons actually play WoW for you basically to the point you don’t even have to try anymore.

Those are the kinds of things that we don’t need in GW2. I don’t mind cosmetic addons like something to pretty up your UI. Sure go for it, more power to you. But when addons start doing things for you that require no thinking for yourself, then it’s gone too far.

Again they are not PLAYING the game for you. They are nothing but information timers. If they played the game for you then you could just walk away from your computer and let them play. They will not move you out of fire, they will not heal you, they will not post auctions for you, they will not mine or herb nodes for you.

Addons?!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The problem is once developers allow 3rd party add-ons it gets very difficult for them to regular those add-ons.

You might only want small tooltips and other minor changes, but someone else will want DPS meters and auto-heal and auto-consume for food and they’ll make it and put it in the game, and from what I’ve heard of other games it quickly reaches the point where it’s just not practical for people to play without these things whether they want to or not because it gives such a big advantage and everyone else expects you to have it.

The simplest way to avoid that is to keep it to 1st (and maybe 2nd) party development. If you want something in the game you can ask for it in the Suggestions section, and if other people agree Anet will consider it but they can still keep the door closed to game-breaking additions.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Addons?!

SpyderArachnid.5619

Again they are not PLAYING the game for you. They are nothing but information timers. If they played the game for you then you could just walk away from your computer and let them play. They will not move you out of fire, they will not heal you, they will not post auctions for you, they will not mine or herb nodes for you.

Thus why I said they are “basically” playing the game for you. If you like, I can reword it to “telling” you how to play the game. It’s an expression, that pretty much everyone understands. Apparently not you though.

My point still stands. They make the game easy mode. You don’t have to think for yourself anymore cause your addons do that for you. They tell you everything you need to know and what to do. All you have to do is follow orders like a good little user. Cause no one likes a player who doesn’t use addons. Especially in raids.

Addons?!

Posted by: Alf.9137

Alf.9137

I support ANets take on this – No addons, please!

:)

Happy adventuring.

Addons?!

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

I remember healing AV in wow using healbot (which wasnt a bot actually) and not even looking at the actual game play. Blah. Gross. But I did like bartender which allowed the rearranging of skills which was usefull if you were a clicker. I like the fewer skills in gw2 which has made it alot easier to get into hotkeys so I dont see how addons would make this game better. If other players are using macros and addons it forces everyine else to do the same to remain competitive.

Addons?!

krojack.4920

My point still stands. They make the game easy mode. You don’t have to think for yourself anymore cause your addons do that for you. They tell you everything you need to know and what to do. All you have to do is follow orders like a good little user. Cause no one likes a player who doesn’t use addons. Especially in raids.

Combat addons in this game would be irrelevant because it doesn’t extend beyond 5 man dungeons. There are countless other addons that would make this game better. Primarily UI enhancements such as better player, party, pet & target frames. A gear switcher kinda like the armor and town cloths switcher only one that allows you to save sets. A better chat addon for heaven sake. I get whispers from people and miss then half the time. I would like to set a custom sound when someone whispers me.

Like I said in some other post, they need to improve little things or let the player base do it. I can’t stand my pet frame. I can’t even see what buffs/debuffs my pet has without having to target it.

This game’s UI about as bad as Star Wars: TOR when it first came out. It just looks prettier graphic wise.

Addons?!

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

It’s all because YOU don’t like it even though you don’t have to use them. The whole “I don’t like them so you shouldn’t use them either” excuse.

Ah, the old ‘’I like them so they should be allowed but just because you don’t like it you don’t have to use them’’ excuse.

Exactly like the whole flying mount thing in World of Warcraft, ’’Don’t use it if you don’t like it.’’

You should learn how to play the game without making it easier for yourself with AddOns that aren’t needed. Yes, I’m telling you how to play your own game, because AddOns are just uneeded. That’s why we got people abusing meters, or people abusing macros that makes you do several things with just 1 button press.

(edited by Farzo.8410)

Addons?!

krojack.4920

Ah, the old ‘’I like them so they should be allowed but just because you don’t like it you don’t have to use them’’ excuse.

Exactly like the whole flying mount thing in World of Warcraft, ’’Don’t use it if you don’t like it.’’

You should learn how to play the game without making it easier for yourself with AddOns that aren’t needed. Yes, I’m telling you how to play your own game, because AddOns are just uneeded. That’s why we got people abusing meters, or people abusing macros that makes you do several things with just 1 button press.

Macros would only do 1 thing but you could program in conditions and depending on those conditions it would do something.

One of my most used macros, Sheep/Re-sheep.

If my target wasn’t sheeped:
- It would focus it then sheep it.
If I had a focused target and it wasn’t dead it would re-sheep it.
If I had a focused target and it was dead it would remove the focus.

I used very few combat mods. Most of my mods just made my UI pretty.

In the end, if you think mods make the game to easy they you simply don’t have to use them. Yes this excuse is valid.

Again my whole argument here is if ArenaNet displayed all the information we need on the screen then I’m fine with how the game is. As it is now they don’t display everything that SHOULD BE.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Still-lacking-important-features/first#post1231947

Addons?!

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Lol, ANet does not want addons to make the game easier for you. They want you to learn how to play with what you have. Select the option to see cooldown timer on your skills and you’re set, “heal skill ready!” haha… really?

This is what WoW and its addons have done, and I’m an avid player of that game.. it’s just sad.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Addons?!

Posted by: Jknifer.6803

Jknifer.6803

Yeah nerf buttons was way over the top, the way it could react to certain situations; been cc’d? – instant stun break, behind enemy? – use backstab, health at 25% use 3 pots at once, etc. It made terrible players way better than they should be. Actually every time I think about returning to warhammer online I think of that mod and it turns me off the game entirely. I wouldnt be suprised if that mod was a huge reason people left that game.

Addons?!

Posted by: Slyder.9215

Slyder.9215

I agree with the sentiment of not having mods play the game for you. But for the most part, I also like addons that are more “quality of life” in nature.

UI tweaks and resizing, having access to more information on one screen (like money, time of day) – things of that nature. Even ones that change the UI skin altogether (imagine playing with a steampunk UI skin, or something nature inspired).

Even while playing WoW, I made it a point to never use Mods like DPS and Threat meters, ones that show cooldowns, or whatever the heck else raiding guilds there required. Which is probably the reason why I skipped raiding in WoW altogether. I want to be judged more by how good my playing skills are, not by what mods I use or whether or not I can put out exactly X amount of DPS in Y amount of time.

Wrenchy Mcboomboom
Engineer

Addons?!

Posted by: domxnik.1453

domxnik.1453

This game does not need addons.

Anvixy- 80 Ranger

Addons?!

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

You aren’t injured and you don’t need crutches. Learn to play. No need to enable bad players.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Addons?!

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

I’m absolutely against addons that help, such as the ones you say. All that has to do with combat … no, please no.
However, I’m absolutely for UI/quality of life addons, they should be allowed.
Because when you like your game, you like to personnalize it to enjoy it even more and spend so much more time.
How can you spend much time when you don’t like the UI ?
Also, regarding how slow priority quality of life features are, it would be in the interest of everyone to allow them :
1) Anet can drop them and focus on other things
2) Member develop addons community needs, it comes faster and players are happy.

Who would not want to customize UI (resize, prettier move etc …) ? Who would not want an addon to save/load builds, skills and armor sets ?
I think none can honestly say they would not want that.

Addons?!

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

Always makes me chuckle the “we should play the game, not the User Interface”.
That is the one reason I`d want addons.
Stop UI shizz popping up mid screen at stupid times….

I tend to do WvWs without UI on most of the time because of these, constant shields popping up etc.
Having to pop-up UI just to see if player in distance is friendly/enemy is a pain, but it stops the UI spam fest.

Attachments:

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

Addons?!

Posted by: AwwGee.5628

AwwGee.5628

Open the gates to one and you open the gates to all.

Is it so hard to keep track of a heal cooldown? And initiative has 3 dodges at max (traited thief) and 2 for all other classes.

Stop UI shizz popping up mid screen at stupid times….

I tend to do WvWs without UI on most of the time because of these, constant shields popping up etc.

What UI pops during WvW? All I see here are overflow notifications. The pvp ones don’t matter, they pop when you die and go away soon, or when the game ends.

Addons?!

Posted by: Straylight.7408

Straylight.7408

I want to play Guild Wars 2, not Addon-Manager.

Addons?!

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I want addon for switching my weapon layout with a click of a button rather than dragging each one out of hero tab. its annoying when I simply want to play and have fun.
Same with skill layouts.

also want addon to manage event popups.
addon in WvW to manage looting when it pops up.

also addon to manage bags and auto salvage.

Addons?!

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

If a feature is seriously needed to improve the enjoyment of the game, then that feature should be integrated into the game itself by anet. There’s no need for an addon.

Addons?!

krojack.4920

I would like to know how the following addons would “enable bad players”

A bag addon
– Something like ArkInventory. That thing is the best ever at helping you keep your bags organized. Don’t even tell me to buy the special bags. I got some and it’s not even close to being the same.

A chat addon
– Prat 3.0. The beauty in customizing your chat windows is awesome. Setting up notification rules with sounds when someone says a word or your name. Having a custom sound when someone whispered you.

Unit Frame Addon
– Pitbull allowed you to move and change the appearance of your health, your targets and pets frame. You can put then where ever you want on the screen. That’s just a drop in the bucket however they did nothing that wasn’t already on the screen so they gave no advantage.

I find myself getting a headache going from my targets health frame at the top to my health frame at the bottom all the time in GW2. I want to move my targets frame to the bottom near mine AND I want to add buffs/debuffs to my pets frame.

<sarcasm >

On dear God, those make the game TO EASY! Can’t allow those addons!

</sarcasm >

Addons?!

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

I would like to know how the following addons would “enable bad players”

A bag addon
– Something like ArkInventory. That thing is the best ever at helping you keep your bags organized. Don’t even tell me to buy the special bags. I got some and it’s not even close to being the same.

A chat addon
– Prat 3.0. The beauty in customizing your chat windows is awesome. Setting up notification rules with sounds when someone says a word or your name. Having a custom sound when someone whispered you.

Unit Frame Addon
– Pitbull allowed you to move and change the appearance of your health, your targets and pets frame. You can put then where ever you want on the screen. That’s just a drop in the bucket however they did nothing that wasn’t already on the screen so they gave no advantage.

^ So much this. I agree 100%. We need more personnalisation and handy tools such as this, definitely. Also would add something like Outfitter for armor sets management.

Addons?!

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

GW 1 had much better customization than this one. I can agree on moving enemy and pet bars to be next to your own.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Addons?!

Posted by: vesta.3170

vesta.3170

I know this is a two month old post but…

I would like a few non-combat mods and a few combat stat gatherers. I would like to be able to record a fight and see what skill was done at what time, how much damage it did or if it missed. I know you can review the numbers in the combat log, but i want something more detailed and in a nice interface.

UI addons i dont care about.

Trading post alerts would be nice.

A top DPS meter would be good. It doesn’t help you fight better. It lets you know who is pulling their weight. If you want to make this a competitive esport well here is your answer.

I would like to see Anet create an addon forum on the root forum page. Here people would be able to post ideas for addons, but instead of third parties creating addons Anet would make what they see fit an in-game feature.

Addons?!

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

Addons in WoW can’t “play the game for you” The API is heavily regulated so that most interactions require a hardware event to occur. The only time it did anything of the sort was when Healbot could choose the correct spell so all you had to do was left click on a player’s name, and that was nearly a decade ago.

There’s a lot of great stuff addons allow for. Imagine how much smoother crafting would be if you queue the items you want to craft, and then uses GW2Spidy to buy everything you need off the TP?

Or, take the custom soundtrack feature. You have almost no means available to you to refine how it actually works. Battle songs cut off abruptly Ambient music isn’t zone specific. Addon authors could fix things like that that aren’t worth developer time.

As for “playing the UI”, we already have to do that if we’re not a GS warrior. Elementalists have four attunements with cooldowns to remember. Mesmers have three pets with health bars that only show up on their nameplates, and no indication of whether their next clone might destroy a phantasm. This isn’t Gears of War, folks, MMORPGs need detailed feedback.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Addons?!

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Always makes me chuckle the “we should play the game, not the User Interface”.
That is the one reason I`d want addons.
Stop UI kittenz popping up mid screekittentupid times….

Having to pop-up UI just to see if player in distance is friendly/enemy is a pain, but it stops the UI spam fest.

All the transit ones could be fixed, unsure about the others that are much larger, by remembering where we last moved that window to, as well as from session to session.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Addons?!

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

per your user agreement:

f: Additional License Restrictions — You acknowledge You will not directly or indirectly:

reverse engineer, translate, adapt, disassemble, decompile, or reduce to any human-perceivable form, any Software or parts thereof;
copy, distribute or reproduce any Service, Content, Software, or parts thereof;
modify, or create a derivative work of or based on, any Service, Content, Software, or parts thereof; and/or
sell, sub-license, rent, lease, grant a security interest in, borrow, lend, loan, network or engage in any activity that could in any way transfer or provide others access to any Service, Content, Software, or parts thereof, including but not limited to any serial code number, access key or the like.

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Addons?!

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

per your user agreement:

f: Additional License Restrictions — You acknowledge You will not directly or indirectly:

reverse engineer, translate, adapt, disassemble, decompile, or reduce to any human-perceivable form, any Software or parts thereof;
copy, distribute or reproduce any Service, Content, Software, or parts thereof;
modify, or create a derivative work of or based on, any Service, Content, Software, or parts thereof; and/or
sell, sub-license, rent, lease, grant a security interest in, borrow, lend, loan, network or engage in any activity that could in any way transfer or provide others access to any Service, Content, Software, or parts thereof, including but not limited to any serial code number, access key or the like.

Ty for sharing this, Krosslite. Now we know AreneNet will not allow addons in their game which is a good thing.

Addons?!

Posted by: Acidicore.3264

Acidicore.3264

While addons for other games are absolutely necessary, because of the wide variety of things going on all at once, and yes they can be a crutch, sometimes they are helpful in managing and monitoring each other without the use of vent, especially in a pug. That being said, if it’s such a burden, you could easily create a mumble to better manage your group, and there’s big bold lettering over your abilities telling you exactly what’s going on.

I played several MMO’s, and when you have every single spell, plus macros on your bar, and addon will help in tracking specific times, but here you really don’t have to, because a good chunk is visual queues and having knowledge of what you’ve done and are going to do. This is due to the more active nature of combat, rather than setting everything up in a queue.

And personally, I prefer the cleaner, clutter free approach, though modifying specific parts of the ui (like in GW1) would be nice, it’s absolutely fine the way it is. I cannot go back to seeing the game through a window.

Attachments:

Addons?!

Posted by: Darkwolf.6291

Darkwolf.6291

As a former WoW player, I love addons. Primarily because I can’t stand the default WoW UI. It’s horrible.

That said, I do not want ANet to implement addons here. The default UI is acceptable and functional (triple-head monitor bugs notwithstanding) and puts everyone on the same playing field. I would much rather ANet just add stuff to the default UI rather than spend effort providing a UI mod API.

That all said, if I had my way, I’d dearly love a way to turn off the Living Story and SAB prompters on the objective tracker. Oh, and a way to make the objective tracker allow you to open more than four items at once (i’ve got 1440 vertical resolution, so it’s ridiculous only being allowed to use the top quarter of the right side for it). Other than that, it’s quite adequate.

And with cooldown trackers… There’s really not enough cooldowns in this game to worry about needing such a thing. Just use the default. It’s good enough.

Addons?!

Posted by: AliceKaye.1903

AliceKaye.1903

I absolutely hate AddOns. I love that this game doesn’t allow them. I’m coming back to GW2 from WoW and I have to say, that I spent a large portion of WoW contending with AddOns that didn’t work right, LUA errors left and right. It really cut into my play time, but you simply are kitten without them.

So glad I don’t have to worry about that here.

Arcanist Norri | Ceirynn | Darbii | Emlyn | Nyssi | Teltiu
Alice Kaye’s Twitter

Addons?!

Posted by: Rash.6514

Rash.6514

I am so against that idea I should probably stop here.

Addons?!

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

You’re not forced to use addons in WoW, you know.

To the degree that there are successful raiders and arena contenders that don’t.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Addons?!

Posted by: Finaldeath.1059

Finaldeath.1059

The biggest issue with addons, imo, is that groups/guilds start requiring them if you want to run with them. But there isn’t really a need for them in this game, the only thing i really used addons for in wow are ones that change up the ui making it easier to locate your countless skills and in lotro i only use ones that change the skin of the ui. With the fairly minimal ui and few skills, there isn’t really a need for addons.