After 350h I still can't decide on my class

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hikuro.9546

Hikuro.9546

Hey guys

I’ve been playing this game for quite a while now. I got every class to 30, my warrior to 80 and a thief to 70.

I don’t have much time to play because of my work and I’d love to focus on one class and get good at it. However picking one class is a really, really tough choice. For some reason I constantly find myself jumping to diffrent classes.

What I’m looking for is a mobile class (addicted to swiftness) thats pretty durable , with ranged AoE and some escape mechanism. I mainly play WvW and I like running with zergs or guild groups.
I really, really hate dying instantly in PvE, be it personal story or dungeons and I died alot on my thief, so I switched to warrior. It’s a great class, tough and powerful but I find it kinda bland in comparison to say, ele or engineer. I just can’t decide!

Ever had a similiar problem? Maybe you guys could recommend me some specific class/weapon combination?

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I jump between all 8, it is not a bad thing.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

At the risk of being unpopular, try a necro. Unless you run a lot of dungeons with speed runners that is.

Necro is great for WvW particularly with marks and such, and has a lot of cute little survival tricks as well. Also very survivable in PvE. But not the most requested profession for dungeons.

But it’s not boring to play at least.

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

You may want to try Ranger. The class has decent survivablity in PvE and WvW with some nice evades with sword, dagger and gs. Lightning reflexes breaks u out of immobilize and does dmg. Signet of the Hunt gives you 25% spd as passive and gives your pet (and yourself, if traited (under marksmanship trait 11)). The axe can bounce between up to 3 enemies so it’s a nice weapon to have for zergs in WvW. The GSs evades on auto attack can keep you alive longer in close range fights in zergs or can help you get away from them with the #3 skill Swoop.

Aside from this suggestion the one big thing that helps me find what class is my main for a good while is PvP. I find the class that I tend to play a lot more than others is one I’ve enjoyed playing in PvP with, it’s also a good way to better get to know your class and other skills and traits they have that you normally wouldn’t use or think of using in PvE and WvW.

Posted by: RainbowSyrup.4130

RainbowSyrup.4130

Norn ranger. Norn Snowleopard Form is great for getting out of trouble quickly, and ranger fits in on your description.

’’I’m sad hanar can’t wear sweaters’’
-Grunt

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

Necro- Doesn’t have mobility and it’s 1200 ranged AOE weapon is boring, Power wells might be good for you but you won’t be super tanky or mobile.

Thief- mobile but limited to 900 range,very little aoe, and can die easily if not built/played right.

Engi- certainly can be tanky and mobile and grenades have long range aoe, ask someone that plays them as I don’t know all the specifics(mine hit 80 and I’ve never played since)

Ele- Can have ranged AOE, mobility, and tankiness(maybe not all in the same build) but requires playing it very well with rotations to get the most out of it.

Mesmer- Good ranged AOE with GS phantasm, not super mobile or tanky. If you like using stealth there is a survivable build that is decent for WvW roaming.

Ranger- Fairly mobile, can be mildly tanky, not a lot of ranged AOE, PETS SUCK.

Warrior- you already know this, they fit your bill but they are boring.

Guardian- Tanky, fairly mobile, limited in long range attacks/aoe. Requires playing well to do really well.

I’ve got all classes to 80 and I like using thief/warrior/mesmer/necro in WvW. In PvE I like using Guardian for dungeons/fractals and warrior for world events.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Sweet Indecision

I play them all, and don’t feel I’m losing anything by doing so.

I understand the desire to want to specialize, but if you really want to do it, you’ll do it naturally, and the profession you specialize in will naturally be the one you play the most. In other words, I don’t think you really need to worry about it, nor do I think anyone else can tell you what you will like the most.

You have already gotten a good idea of how each profession works, although some of them really don’t open up until much later (I’m looking at you, Mesmer). You also have some reasonably specific ideas of what you want to do and how you want to do it, so that narrows things down nicely, and I think you already have a pretty good idea of which professions can do that.

But you may find, as I have, that even if you discover the “perfect class” for you (which for me, it turns out, is apparently Mesmer), it may still not be enough. You may still crave variety, and if so, I hope you won’t feel that by jumping from one character to another you are wasting your time.

As the saying goes, time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: SpyderBite.6274

SpyderBite.6274

I have one of each. I play casually and with the exception of running class quests, usually concentrate on crafting. So, my opinion may be among minority. But, playing every class isn’t a bad idea vs. asking for opinions about which class you’d like to play. You know better than a thousand strangers after all.

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.

Posted by: Tibicia.8315

Tibicia.8315

If you are like me, you may never decide on your class. I have 16 level 80 characters, at least one of each class.

I don’t know how you played your thief, or what kinds of builds you experimented with. Guild zerg builds tend to use use weapons that have slow activation (two handed weapons usually do more damage, but then are slower to activate which requires timing and some patience), so you may not enjoy using a standard zerg build, or even enjoy the usual WvW zerg classes. If I were to consider how the game play feels:

Double-dagger elementalist – Skills cause the character to jump all over the place (sort of feels like a thief to me), can move move across the map quickly when needed, and skill activation is decent. I use mine in dungeons, farming for materials in Orr, WvW, and PvE guild events. With aura activation and the right build, it can be pretty tanky and still put out the DPS. The one thing missing is range. If you must have some range (for taking out siege on towers), add the ice-bow skill (and help a guardian with range, at the same time).

Engineer – Capable of excellent running speed, some skills are decently fast, nice DPS, and of course you have range and AoE. There is even some limited invisibilty. Engineer is surprsingly versatile. You may have fun experimenting with this class.

Mesmer has some skills that also feel a bit like thief game-play. Running speed could make you nuts, though. There are skills you ckittene for speed, but then you lose elsewhere. I suspect most people use long-sword for one of the weapon sets (faster activation on this two-handed weapon than with other classes), and then the other weapon set depends on the build. Some skills provide nice WvW zerg support (I don’t love the zerg builds, though, so rarely use my mesmer for that purpose unless a commander specifically requests it).

Axe Ranger (with various off-hands for different situations) – Doesn’t really jump all over the place, but you can easily build them to be very survivable, they are capable of OK running speed, and the main axe skill bounces off of things like the thief short bow. You will either love or hate pets. I use my axe ranger a lot for gathering materials in Orr, PvE events, dungeon runs, and occasionally in WvW. Rangers have some combo skills useful to zergs, but sadly I rarely see rangers actually using them, so understand why this class gets little respect when it comes to zerg play.

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

I don’t think you should worry about choosing a class. I use different classes for different content. Necro in WvW, Warrior and Engineer for dungeons, Mesmer for Fractals and sPvP, etc. I think multi-classing makes you better, not worse, at the game, especially for PvP scenarios.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

Only one level 80? Personally, I have not really enjoyed any class except for the first one I played/leveled before hitting 80. Get to 80, gear up, and then you can really compare the classes. Trying to decide while leveling is going to be tough because you are missing so much information. Gear and traits are important for the experience.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

first mmo that i like all of the classes. Ranger and Ele are my faves, but I like them all. Trust me, 350 hours in and no fave class is the best problem to have.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Anmida.4058

Anmida.4058

After 4700 hours and 17 alts, I would like to say multiclassing and alt-making, casual or lifeless such as mine, is what will bring new breaths of life to the game.
Your power is like a TIDAL WAVE!

Posted by: sadatoni.6524

sadatoni.6524

At 1,621 hours, I like them all. Warrior is my least favorite. Current favorite is thief. Next would be guardian, ele and necro.

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I use 6/8 classes regularly. I dont play my Guardian (first 80) or my necro ever

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

“What I’m looking for is a mobile class (addicted to swiftness) thats pretty durable , with ranged AoE and some escape mechanism. " – this says engi to me, especially for wvw. Nades, speedy kits, stealth-blasts and rocketboots. Condi built engis are naturally pretty tanky as well.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

Posted by: kristof.7182

kristof.7182

Omg, same here.
I’ve this problem since headstart and I’m still waiting for ritualist/dervish (or scythe weapon).

Posted by: Lue.6538

Lue.6538

Hey guys

I’ve been playing this game for quite a while now. I got every class to 30, my warrior to 80 and a thief to 70.

I don’t have much time to play because of my work and I’d love to focus on one class and get good at it. However picking one class is a really, really tough choice. For some reason I constantly find myself jumping to diffrent classes.

What I’m looking for is a mobile class (addicted to swiftness) thats pretty durable , with ranged AoE and some escape mechanism. I mainly play WvW and I like running with zergs or guild groups.
I really, really hate dying instantly in PvE, be it personal story or dungeons and I died alot on my thief, so I switched to warrior. It’s a great class, tough and powerful but I find it kinda bland in comparison to say, ele or engineer. I just can’t decide!

Ever had a similiar problem? Maybe you guys could recommend me some specific class/weapon combination?

D/D elementalist, build it for cantrips and start killing stuff. Once you hit 80 with it you’ll be fairly durable since the elementalist favors a celestial armor over the standard assassins/zerker/valkyrie. You’ll have plenty of swiftness availible to you: Swiching to Lightning attunement, Water Skill#4(Frost Aura) and Lightning Skill#3(Shocking Aura).
As you’ll want 2 points in lightning for the D/D Ele, you’ll also end up with a passive movementspeed bonus while attuned to lightning thanks to Zephyr’s Speed.

Personally however I’ve built my characters towards different areas of the game.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

If you want ranged aoe and mobility, you want ele. If you want durability too though… You’re gonna have to learn to dodge lol.

Seriously though, learn to use the ele’s defensive cooldowns at the right times and you should be just as hard to kill as a warrior. Ele is the king of ranged aoe + mobility.

Posted by: Mityr.1320

Mityr.1320

Or do what i do, play a class depending on content:
WvW – guardian or ele
spvp – i like mesmer
Pve – warrior most or everything else can do

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Hey guys

Ele sounds like the class for you. They’re top notch for AoE in WvW and they have a lot of good mobility.

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

warrior seems like the right fit for you. that gs is very mobile. You want ranged attacks, sure! riffle or lb. You want durable for wvw zerg, no one will turn away a warrior in a zerg, unless he’s really terrible, and is a rally bait.

pve wise, you won’t die a lot even if you don’t know what to do, or if you are full squishy, trait+ armor zerker.

I say stick with warrior. If you enjoy it.

Posted by: Shelter.9720

Shelter.9720

Don’t worry too much about it. Took me 1.5 years to decide then I just made them all , lol.