Again, ANet built up too much hype...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Wow. Why are people always so negative? It hasn’t even arrived yet (the actual changes) and people are already whining about it. Why do people play a game that they find such faults with? I sure wouldn’t. I’d go play a game that I enjoyed and forget about the one I didn’t (I’ve done that with several of them).

Because they kept saying big feature patch (in addition to needing the extra time since the last patch), which when they said that, everyone assumes actual features, not the mostly minor changes (wardrobe, and possibly trait rework, is/are the only FEATURE being added). Unless the Solid Foundation and Facilitating Friendly Play (1,2, and 3) have actual meat to them (which I doubt, at least for solid foundation, which will probably just be the changes to starting tutorial/beginning levels that China got), this whole feature build will be over hyped.

Guess I was wrong in my prediction, todays is the merge between pvp and pve.
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pvp-reward-tracks-and-gear-unification/

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Posted by: sonicwhip.9052

sonicwhip.9052

Wow. Why are people always so negative? It hasn’t even arrived yet (the actual changes) and people are already whining about it. Why do people play a game that they find such faults with? I sure wouldn’t. I’d go play a game that I enjoyed and forget about the one I didn’t (I’ve done that with several of them).

Because they kept saying big feature patch (in addition to needing the extra time since the last patch), which when they said that, everyone assumes actual features, not the mostly minor changes (wardrobe, and possibly trait rework, is/are the only FEATURE being added). Unless the Solid Foundation and Facilitating Friendly Play (1,2, and 3) have actual meat to them (which I doubt, at least for solid foundation, which will probably just be the changes to starting tutorial/beginning levels that China got), this whole feature build will be over hyped.

Yea there is a huge difference between a feature and a quality of life improvement.
A feature would be something new that we can do in the game like housing or a new class or something.
What we are getting is largely just QoL.

Posted by: Calys Teneb.7015

Calys Teneb.7015

Yea there is a huge difference between a feature and a quality of life improvement.
A feature would be something new that we can do in the game like housing or a new class or something.
What we are getting is largely just QoL.

Adding to a game is done through content patches. That’s Guild Housing, new characters, new skills. Feature patches update quality of life for already existing content. This is how it’s done throughout the software industry.

ArenaNet led into this last month to caution players that expectations of Guild Housing, new classes, etc, would not be done in this feature patch.

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

So long as the “Friendly play 1 2 3” posts aren’t about limiting what you can do at each level like it is in the China client, I can’t complain.

A bit sad about the dye changes because I have so few of them, but other than that, eh.
The PvP changes will be great for a lot of people. Personally I’m not a sucker for rewards, so it makes no difference for me, but a lot of people will enjoy it and PvP will be more active. That could be good for people who complain about WvW queues… when there’s a big queue they could go PvP a bit and still have their time be worth something.

Speaking of rewards, my biggest wish is Anet would stop making the game a candy shop, and make the game more fun to play. Can you imagine playing sonic the hedgehog for rewards? You played it for fun, not rewards.
There is already so much candy in the game. When everyone has shinny rewards, how can you make it even more rewarding? I can imagine them making it so you can wear 5 back pieces at once: one behind your head, one on each shoulder, one on your back, and one behind your bum!

What I really wanted was for open-world content to be more populated. Wardrobe won’t do this, all you have to do is waypoint in, go to heart npc, get your skin, waypoint out. Traits won’t do this, it doesn’t apply to old characters.

I’m sad they are making lower level areas even easier. It’s already too boring, and that’s saying something since I play solo.

I want open-world to be end game content: challenging fights that require skill (not number stats), events that require group/guild coordination, different events depending on time of day, automatic grouping and un-grouping with people doing events with you (so you can see health and status effects), etc.

Maybe Friendly Play will implement these changes, but I’m not keeping my hopes up.

You don’t even have a LFG tab for open world content (the map you’re on), only for living story!

Posted by: Tashiro Kurosawa.7481

Tashiro Kurosawa.7481

I want open-world to be end game content: challenging fights that require skill (not number stats), events that require group/guild coordination, different events depending on time of day, automatic grouping and un-grouping with people doing events with you (so you can see health and status effects), etc.

I think you nailed the ‘you can’t please everyone’ point. I don’t mind the odd ‘group event’, but overall, I want a game that a casual player can get through by himself. I don’t want to have to team up with a bunch of people to get through the game. I want to be able to explore the region, enjoy it, and not have to worry about being slaughtered because I’m not a ‘serious’ player. I’ve not beat The Sunless since he got amped. I’ve ignored the giant doom plants. The amount of effort needed to beat those makes them uninteresting. I like the Shadow Behemoth. I like the Shatterer. Jormag’s champion is borderline for me – it is almost too much work for what I get, but I’ll do it from time to time, but my interest in it is minimal. The Shatterer, I’m willing to jump to when I hear it’s up (though I kind of wish he were a bit more mobile … like he’d turn one way or the other to face the clustered groups).

Day/Night based events? That, I like. (The White Woman in Queensdale is a good example). But no, I’d really rather not be forced into groups to get through the game. I don’t mind the odd, incidental get together, but I’m not interested in mandatory get togethers.

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

There’s a fairly significant difference between “content” and “features”, especially when it pertains to games.

Arena.net has not at any point announced anything pertaining to a “content” patch.

Yes, and there is a significant difference between “features” & “quality of life”. The problem is when they make a “feature” patch & it’s fixing systems that were awful to begin with & adding a few traits, they’re being disingenuous.

I LIKE all these changes, but I’m not impressed by them. The Wardrobe is totally NOT impressive. Its essentially the current MMO standard for cosmetics but with a cost attached. Status Quo + cost is not to be praised. That’s what you expect from MMOs. They fix their mistakes.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

Posted by: Xomic.5792

Xomic.5792

Yeah, I think it’s rather…. foolhardy, on Anet’s part, to pump this stuff. Most Developers put these sorts of quality of life stuff in their patches along side stuff like adding content and stuff.

Posted by: Feycat.4370

Feycat.4370

I’m surprised that they think this will stop the flood of players leaving for ESO.

Or that we needed to wait five+ months for these changes.

Why would anyone leave for TESO? That game is terrible – played a couple open beta weekends and never saw such a “meh, been there, done that,” game in my life. And I played SWTOR :P And the only game with worse animations is Secret World.

I can’t see TESO holding anyone’s attention very long.

Game enjoyment increases as time spent on the forums decreases.

Posted by: SirMorgenStar.6721

SirMorgenStar.6721

It feels more like a tweak/fix patch than a feature patch.

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

@ OP If you quit, can I has gear and moneyz?

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

A.Net is disseminating information about upcoming changes. That is NOT hype and they are excited about it. What is wrong with that?

To the OP, go and enjoy ESO but it is a shell of an MMO and not that good of a one. I played in the beta and found it boring, bland and not fun at all. I felt like I was playing a console FPS but with swords and magic (with the same amount of disconnect from the game).

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

There where several posts on forums here just before the small details where released that absolutely no information was being given. They then posted several short summaries of what they are doing to the game and it becomes overhyped? Interesting.

DarksunG.9537

A.Net is disseminating information about upcoming changes. That is NOT hype and they are excited about it. What is wrong with that?

Just calling a QoL Patch a Feature Patch is over-hype. Fans need to just admit how much Anet over-hypes everything. I don’t know why I should be excited about having less content & features in 1.5 years in GW2 than in 1 year of GW1 with 3x the manpower.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Just calling a QoL Patch a Feature Patch is over-hype.

Alright, fine. Anet can remove the wardrobe, stat changes outside of cities, and every other feature in the update.
fea·ture
?f?CH?r
noun
1. a distinctive attribute or aspect of something.

Quality of life
Quality of life (QOL) is the general well-being of individuals and societies.

Quite mixing definitions in an attempt to garner support for arguments. YES the update has QoL improvements in it. YES there are features being added as well. Features that are tied to a QoL improvement does not equate not being a feature themselves.

DarksunG.9537

Quite mixing definitions in an attempt to garner support for arguments.

Talk about mixing definitions. You’re using a dictionary definition that basically covers everything in existence as a game definition that is far different. The Wardrobe is a revamp of the current awful system, it makes using cosmetics easier & better, but it’s not a whole new feature. Based on your definition fixing bugs would be a feature.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

Posted by: sonicwhip.9052

sonicwhip.9052

To the OP, go and enjoy ESO but it is a shell of an MMO and not that good of a one. I played in the beta and found it boring, bland and not fun at all. I felt like I was playing a console FPS but with swords and magic (with the same amount of disconnect from the game).

I also did not find ESO to be very fun but because of the name and franchise alone it will still get an initial rush of players and fans of the elder scrolls series.

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

Repair costs, account-bound dyes, PvE skin locker, anywhere trait resets, etc are issues that have been heavily discussed since beta and always rejected by Anet. Now China is coming and they all get fixed? Not a single mention of something like ‘thanks for your loyalty playing GW2, here are the changes you’ve called for’, no all we get is “With the China launch coming up, there is no better time than now for us to improve the economy of the game.”

Added FEATURES would be things like additional weapon options (even just existing weapons transposed to off-hand/main-hand/another class), new zones, new skills, new class/race?

This patch is simply a QoL improvement that takes some of the annoyance out of the game. We’ve already fought/worked around/dealt with these issues for 1.5 years. We’ve already got skins on all our characters.

There is nothing in this patch that gives me a goal to work towards, or a reward to look forward to. If anything – it speeds up my completion so I can tick off a few last remaining pieces and quit the game…

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Repair costs, account-bound dyes, PvE skin locker, anywhere trait resets, etc are issues that have been heavily discussed since beta and always rejected by Anet. Now China is coming and they all get fixed? Not a single mention of something like ‘thanks for your loyalty playing GW2, here are the changes you’ve called for’, no all we get is “With the China launch coming up, there is no better time than now for us to improve the economy of the game.”

Added FEATURES would be things like additional weapon options (even just existing weapons transposed to off-hand/main-hand/another class), new zones, new skills, new class/race?

This patch is simply a QoL improvement that takes some of the annoyance out of the game. We’ve already fought/worked around/dealt with these issues for 1.5 years. We’ve already got skins on all our characters.

There is nothing in this patch that gives me a goal to work towards, or a reward to look forward to. If anything – it speeds up my completion so I can tick off a few last remaining pieces and quit the game…

Exactly, it adds nothing for the long time players. It’s just dumbing down the game and putting expensive options in a new coat.
“Quitting the game” however is such a redundant statement to make. As the game has no subscription fee, you can just put it aside until something new and interesting gets added.

That’s what I’ve been doing at least.
I’ll be excited when something changes for me. These “features” don’t.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Added FEATURES would be things like additional weapon options (even just existing weapons transposed to off-hand/main-hand/another class), <-CONTENT
new zones, <-CONTENT
new skills, <-CONTENT
new class/race?<-CONTENT

Do people really not see the pattern here? Granted, if people are this willfully blind, I suppose there’s no point in this thread. People will just believe what they want even if it’s wrong.

Evans.6347

Added FEATURES would be things like additional weapon options (even just existing weapons transposed to off-hand/main-hand/another class), <-CONTENT
new zones, <-CONTENT
new skills, <-CONTENT
new class/race?<-CONTENT

Do people really not see the pattern here? Granted, if people are this willfully blind, I suppose there’s no point in this thread. People will just believe what they want even if it’s wrong.

It’s all interpretation Aidan. You can call it whatever you want, the end result will still be the same. We get to wait for almost a month filled with little information trickles, hyping up what will be a completely unmemorable update after a couple of days.

Sure, some people will love it, but really it adds very, very little to do to the game, and that is arguably what long time players are interested in.

It’s all nice and dandy that we can use a new spiffy menu to blow out our cash on looks, but what’s the point if there is nothing to do after we do so?

And thus I find 2 weeks of advertising for these changes quite over-hyping.

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

new zones, <-CONTENT
new skills, <-CONTENT
new class/race?<-CONTENT

It’s all interpretation Aidan. You can call it whatever you want, the end result will still be the same. We get to wait for almost a month filled with little information trickles, hyping up what will be a completely unmemorable update after a couple of days.

Sure, some people will love it, but really it adds very, very little to do to the game, and that is arguably what long time players are interested in.

It’s all nice and dandy that we can use a new spiffy menu to blow out our cash on looks, but what’s the point if there is nothing to do after we do so?

And thus I find 2 weeks of advertising for these changes quite over-hyping.

This just isn’t true. It’s not a call it what you like thing.

Anet was markedly clear about what was in the feature patch, as OPPOSED to content. They said they wanted features to be released separately from content, so nothing in this release could have been content. No new zones, no new weapons. Features, that’s it. And that’s what they’ve given us. It’s what I expected and presumably I read the same things you did.

The other stuff will come with the living story (which they also said). We’ll be fighting a new dragon (which people asked for), in a new zone (which people asked for), when that content is released.

But it won’t be released as part of a feature patch, because it’s not a feature.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

In the end, the thing that people can not deny is:

This “Big Feature Patch” offers very little for existing players. Most of the changes are a result of the China release. Some minor QoL changes like a wardrobe, accountbound dyes (should have been like this from day one) and the loss of the laughable repair fee.

The new trait system would have been good if it was part of the release, but now? Who cares? They reworked it for the China release, and now they just put it in the Western version too, even though it makes litte sense. It punishes new players and give old players an edge. How does this make any sense?

The only thing big about this feature patch is the way, ANet has announced it. Calling it big was one reason for the hype. They should have called it a minor upgrades to some game systems.

But ANet tends to suffer backlashes from their own marketing constantly and they seem to not learn from it.

What stays is a bad taste in the mouth, disappointed players, and happy developers of other online games.

Thank you ANet for the “Big Troll Patch”!

GG

Evans.6347

Well, my opinion is that they should spend less time advertising their wonderful “features”, most of which should have been implemented ages ago, and instead entice people with “content”.

Instead we consistently got little to no information on each and every LS update, and now we get 2 bloody weeks of “OMG guys, we’re going to do so much completely new and totally never mentioned before changes for you!!!”

So yes, “yay” we’re getting QoL changes. Never again will I have to sit in front of my screens for hours trying to figure out what rune X would do if I add it to my armor along with rune Y. Such troublesome times we’ve had indeed.

But that’s just my opinion, one apparently a lot of people share, but also a lot of people don’t.

Nage.1520

This “Big Feature Patch” offers very little for existing players. Most of the changes are a result of the China release. Some minor QoL changes like a wardrobe, accountbound dyes (should have been like this from day one) and the loss of the laughable repair fee.

The new trait system would have been good if it was part of the release, but now? Who cares? They reworked it for the China release, and now they just put it in the Western version too, even though it makes litte sense. It punishes new players and give old players an edge. How does this make any sense?

The only thing big about this feature patch is the way, ANet has announced it. Calling it big was one reason for the hype. They should have called it a minor upgrades to some game systems.

But ANet tends to suffer backlashes from their own marketing constantly and they seem to not learn from it.

What stays is a bad taste in the mouth, disappointed players, and happy developers of other online games.

GG

I couldn’t disagree more. New traits, changes to rune sets and changes to sigils including being able to use two on two handed weapons is pretty big. We have no clue what this will do to the meta.

And you know whether they’re making it for China and we got it too is completely 100% irrelevant. What’s relevant is that we got it. It doesn’t matter that in your opinion things should have been in since launch. They weren’t and now they are.

You don’t like and haven’t liked this game for a long time. So when a patch comes out that doesn’t change the features you like you say its’ s a small patch. There’s nothing at all small about this patch.

And we don’t even know everything about it yet.

Nage.1520

Well, my opinion is that they should spend less time advertising their wonderful “features”, most of which should have been implemented ages ago, and instead entice people with “content”.

Instead we consistently got little to no information on each and every LS update, and now we get 2 bloody weeks of “OMG guys, we’re going to do so much completely new and totally never mentioned before changes for you!!!”

So yes, “yay” we’re getting QoL changes. Never again will I have to sit in front of my screens for hours trying to figure out what rune X would do if I add it to my armor along with rune Y. Such troublesome times we’ve had indeed.

But that’s just my opinion, one apparently a lot of people share, but also a lot of people don’t.

I guess you don’t consider the living story content.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I always thought it was only quality of life features, and I was surprised that people are upset for not getting legendary crafting.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Too little too late, I fear.

QoL mainly, and adjustments, that will only target new players?

“Target” is a good word here. Expecially the trait acquisition and dye unlock changes are going to hit new players hard.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Kaiyanwan.8521

GG

I couldn’t disagree more. New traits, changes to rune sets and changes to sigils including being able to use two on two handed weapons is pretty big. We have no clue what this will do to the meta.

And you know whether they’re making it for China and we got it too is completely 100% irrelevant. What’s relevant is that we got it. It doesn’t matter that in your opinion things should have been in since launch. They weren’t and now they are.

You don’t like and haven’t liked this game for a long time. So when a patch comes out that doesn’t change the features you like you say its’ s a small patch. There’s nothing at all small about this patch.

The first few new trait after 18 monthes is a big thing? One per trait line? It is nearly as impressive as all those new skills we got…

Not being able to use two sigils in 2h weapons was an oversight that has been a topic on the forums since beta. What is this going to change? And the runes, they now give you less freedom for your build. The meta was melee DPS in PvE, the meta will be melee DPS in PvE. PvP meta won’t change either even though I do not care for PvP anymore.

And you got one thing wrong, I actually like the game itself, just the fact that it has not evolved over the last 18 monthes is really frustrating. This game is going nowhere.

Nage.1520

GG

The first few new trait after 18 monthes is a big thing? One per trait line? It is nearly as impressive as all those new skills we got…

Not being able to use two sigils in 2h weapons was an oversight that has been a topic on the forums since beta. What is this going to change? And the runes, they now give you less freedom for your build. The meta was melee DPS in PvE, the meta will be melee DPS in PvE. PvP meta won’t change either even though I do not care for PvP anymore.

And you got one thing wrong, I actually like the game itself, just the fact that it has not evolved over the last 18 monthes is really frustrating. This game is going nowhere.

It’s not just a few new traits. It’s a few new traits and a skill balance and bug fixes. If you don’t think it will change the meta in PvP and WvW…well, I don’t know what to say but it will. Opening up new builds is always exciting. It won’t affect new players as much but it’ll be welcome for someone like me.

It’s a big update because of the amount of stuff changing. You change 2 little things and it’s not big. You change a hundred little things and it is.

I think people, in general, underestimate how much work goes into a patch like this.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

I’m surprised that they think this will stop the flood of players leaving for ESO.

When did they say that?

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Kaiyanwan.8521

I think people, in general, underestimate how much work goes into a patch like this.

People just do not care how much work goes into patches like this. Why would they. They care about themselves and what the product has to offer. That is how the economy works.

People do not get excited about bug fixes or balancing, they are expected. A hundred minor fixes or QoL changes are still just a hundred minor changes. Nothing big about that.

I have a hard time to see any meta changes incoming for PvP. It will still be all about condition bunkering. Maybe some new toys for some classes, but still, no meta change.

People are tired of the “wait and see” mantra, they want something to really look forward to. Those features are not sufficient in this matter.

Posted by: BurntheBeliever.3098

BurntheBeliever.3098

People need to chill. It’s not GW2’s last patch ever. More will come. This just needed to come first. The great thing about a buy to play model is you aren’t forced to play if you don’t want to. Go play ESO for a month and come back to GW2 (if it even takes you that long).

Posted by: Soja.5918

Soja.5918

I have to lmao @ anyone convincing themselves that ESO poses any kind of threat to anything in GW2.

The game is a hot mess. It’s not fun. You can have all the endgame content you want but when it plays the way it does—janky, lifeless and unsatisfactory—it is worthless. The systems are derivative and uncreative, magic is a joke, and it’s all the worst parts of Skyrim minus mods, plus a thousand idiots. Aesthetics are nothing to write home about, either the game looks and performs like something out of the bottom shelf in 2006. About the only good thing I have to say about it is its writing was somewhat compelling, though not compelling enough to make me suffer through a bad game to experience it while paying for the privilege on a monthly basis.

ESO is a terrible heap and I wouldn’t pay full price for the box, let alone a recurring $15 subscription plus potential cash shop purchases. Zenimax is in for a rude awakening.

Final Fantasy XIV, on the other hand, is a game that’s gaining steam in spite of its sub fee. While I don’t think it poses a threat to GW2’s demographic either, ANet could certainly take a cue or two about how to write story exposition and dialogue from Yoshida’s team at Square Enix.

The Crystal Desert beckons us. Ascension awaits us.

Keirlann Aurion – Ranger – Chieftain of the Ace Guard [AceG]

Posted by: Krumbotor.9064

Krumbotor.9064

Yes Anet always builds up a lot of hype around things that should have been in the game since release. Yes I am also annoyed by those self-congratulatory announcements. If they just cut out the parts where they sing their own praises, the announcements would reduce to a couple of concise sentences. But you have this stuff with every company in every industry. It is called marketing. They have to do it.
So just crossread their announcements or go to one of the various GW2 fansites, where the announcements are published, stripped of the marketing part.

“But unfortunately this is the real world, not some fantasy land” Winni Asuran Offspring

Evans.6347

I guess you don’t consider the living story content.

Considering I specifically mentioned the Living Story as content for which we hardly got any information beforehand, i’m just going to assume you didn’t really bother reading/comprehending my post.

Also, in calling the LS “content” I was already very generous towards it.

It’s a big update because of the amount of stuff changing. You change 2 little things and it’s not big. You change a hundred little things and it is.

Like Kaiyanwan said, it doesn’t mean diddle-squat how much work goes into their patch. A consumer couldn’t care less how much work it took to make a product, a consumer only cares about the quality of said good and wants it as soon as possible.

(edited by Evans.6347)

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Since the people who are posting feedback here are pretty much the same who have been spreading negative attitude for the last months on the forums, it could hardly be taken seriously.

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

Don’t worry.

ESO will stop the ‘flood of players’ leaving for ESO.

This^

Posted by: kapebolec.1295

kapebolec.1295

SaltyDave.7346 great, agree with you!
I just want the Ladder for sPvP. I want to get it. You promised it. And I want to get my ladder. Normal ladder. Like in LoL or SC2. Leagues & divisions & ratings. It works for WoW, it works for LoL, it works for SC2.
Do it, arena.net.

(edited by kapebolec.1295)

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

To be honest, I’m not surprised that “these fixes”, which de facto should be introduced with every single update on a on-going basis, are now dubbed by ANet a “feature patch” – after all, the game was better balanced when it premiered than it is now, 2 years after the premiere.

GJ, ANet. I’m immersing into ESO until GW2 releases something worthy of “Guild Wars” franchise.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Nage.1520

People just do not care how much work goes into patches like this. Why would they. They care about themselves and what the product has to offer. That is how the economy works.

People do not get excited about bug fixes or balancing, they are expected. A hundred minor fixes or QoL changes are still just a hundred minor changes. Nothing big about that.

I have a hard time to see any meta changes incoming for PvP. It will still be all about condition bunkering. Maybe some new toys for some classes, but still, no meta change.

People are tired of the “wait and see” mantra, they want something to really look forward to. Those features are not sufficient in this matter.

I disagree with your entire premise. Some people don’t care about how much work something is, and some people do care.

It comes down to what’s big and what’s not big. I understood basically what was going to be in this patch. I judge how big the patch is based on the amount of work that went into it. It’s that simple.

Anet didn’t tell us housing was coming out. They didn’t say that we’d get new dungeons. In fact, they specifically said this wasn’t a content patch at all. So I expected no new content, no guild missions, nothing like that.

They’re redone core aspects of the game what will make my experience playing this game better than any dungeon they could have added.

I have no idea if the balance patch will make my game better or not. However, the restructuring of a game, long overdue as it is, takes a lot of work and I’m happy that it’s done.

It should have been done a long time ago…but it’s still going to vastly improve the game for me. To me that’s what it’s all about.

Kaiyanwan.8521

With all due respect, this feature patch will hardly bring anyone back to the game, let alone make them leave another one.
The result of these changes is too marginal to have any impact at all. You said you like the game and you like the changes, which is great. What ANet has to do though is convince those people who stopped playing, that it is a good idea to come back.
The new player train for the West is long gone with the game not offering a new boxed expansion.

My first comment stays true: Too little, too late.

You do not convince people to return by just putting some make-up on to cover the age.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Funny, I’ve read quite a few posts about people coming back because of this Feature patch. I guess we all see/read what we find interesting, though. /shrug

Kaiyanwan.8521

Funny, I’ve read quite a few posts about people coming back because of this Feature patch. I guess we all see/read what we find interesting, though. /shrug

Without any real new content, how long do you think people will be entertained by checking out their new wardrobe?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I have no data determining whether they will be ‘entertained’ or not. I am guessing you don’t either. I suppose, if they are interested enough to come back, they may stay for awhile. Maybe not. Only ArenaNet has the metrics to be able to tell. =)

The point was, you claimed hardly anyone would come back. I merely pointed out I have seen several posts disputing that. More than I have seen about people leaving because of this forthcoming patch, though I have seen two, I think, stating that.

Again, who but ArenaNet really knows? =) People claim all kinds of bunk on here, like the ones that said they would be without internet for 2 and a half years, and stopped playing a year ago. Yet, they still post quite often, and comment on how they play this content or that. Lol. It’s the internet. =P

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

With all due respect, this feature patch will hardly bring anyone back to the game, let alone make them leave another one.

A guy from my guild who hasn’t been on since FF14 launch, has been logging on in the past week.

Also saw someone commanding in WvW who hasn’t been on in a very long time either, when asked, he said he’s been playing FF14 till now.

Either people got bored of FF14, or they like the changes being made here.

Either way your fallacious blanket statement is a blatant crock of crap.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

Nage.1520

The result of these changes is too marginal to have any impact at all. You said you like the game and you like the changes, which is great. What ANet has to do though is convince those people who stopped playing, that it is a good idea to come back.
The new player train for the West is long gone with the game not offering a new boxed expansion.

My first comment stays true: Too little, too late.

You do not convince people to return by just putting some make-up on to cover the age.

Who said this feature was going to get people back to the game. In another thread I posted that those that left will probably not come back for this and those that are here probably won’t leave because of it. So I’m not sure where you’re getting that from.

There’s a far cry from saying we have a big patch coming to this patch will bring people back to the game, or stop people from leaving the game. This patch is “fixing” some stuff in the game that has since launch been missing/broken. For many people who play the game and aren’t leaving, and there are a lot of us, that’s a boon. For the incoming Chinese players, I suspect we’ll see millions of them, that’s another boon.

You seem to think that if an update doesn’t bring people back to the game there’s something wrong with it. You don’t like this game. You haven’t liked it for a long time. You can look at your post history and see that there’s much about this game that doesn’t do it for you. Nothing wrong with that.

But then, if a patch doesn’t change the game to make it more like the game you like, of course you’ll be disappointed with the patch. Because it’s not improving for you a game that you already disliked.

That doesn’t make it a bad patch. That makes it a good patch to a game you personally don’t like.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

People didn’t really pay attention did they?
ArenaNet did say multiple times, that what we would get in this patch is what would otherwise have been spread out among the Living Story patches earlier this year.

I would say they did make it very clear that they were not going to release an expansion or anything along those lines.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: mjhungness.8059

mjhungness.8059

I bought the game. I’ve spent real money in the gem store when I felt like it. Everything else has been for free. I’m not going to be critical of anything they throw at me. When the game gets boring and something better comes along, I’ll leave, like I did WoW, LOTRO, CoH, DCUO, CO, and the original GW. I’m looking forward to the update but I’m not agonizing over potential lost. As for TESO, I have a brother doing the beta and I’m not worried – the crowd that leaves for TESO probably never really “got” GW2.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

I bought the game. I’ve spent real money in the gem store when I felt like it. Everything else has been for free. I’m not going to be critical of anything they throw at me. When the game gets boring and something better comes along, I’ll leave, like I did WoW, LOTRO, CoH, DCUO, CO, and the original GW. I’m looking forward to the update but I’m not agonizing over potential lost. As for TESO, I have a brother doing the beta and I’m not worried – the crowd that leaves for TESO probably never really “got” GW2.

Guess our gw2 guild, which consisted of 150 peeps during the first 6 months of the game ( and for the past months has had only around 10 active members, including me ), is different. 112 guys got an imperial edition after participating in the beta.

Who knows, what’s certain is that GW2’s been a huge disappointment so far, with regards to the execution of the idea of the LS.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Via release, GW2 was far superior in poplarity than ESO, it got better recieved by the majority, it got better recieve by the media and it quickly became the most commercially successful MMO since 2004’s WoW. ESO won’t change any of that, neither will it become close to those milestones and if you really believe they will, be ready for some disappointments.