Aggressive Mods?

Aggressive Mods?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: QSpec.4298

QSpec.4298

This could just be me, but do the Mods seem a tad aggressive?

I have had two posts removed.

One was perhaps warranted (I called someone a troll… well, I said to post a video or I will assume they were trolling).

The other was for making a post on a balance thread adding to the OP. This was removed because it supposedly was off-topic.

I am not upset that moderators are doing their job (I prefer a moderated forum to an unmoderated one). I just worry they may be doing their job a little too thoroughly.

In any case, am I the only one? This could entirely be the case, I freely admit that as well.

Aggressive Mods?

Posted by: nlgray.5846

nlgray.5846

Aggressively doing their jobs… Keep up the good work!

Aggressive Mods?

QSpec.4298

So is that a yes? Or a no?

I don’t recall actively asking for a normative claim on the whole thing.

I merely asked if anyone else has experienced posts being removed that they don’t feel should be removed.

No lie, your post was about as much deviated from my OP as the one I had deleted was.

Aggressive Mods?

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Don’t blame the mods for doing their jobs. If you don’t follow the rules of the site they will take you or your topic down.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Aggressive Mods?

Posted by: ituhata.6830

ituhata.6830

I have had one post removed that was just too short. I have similarly noticed mods remove posts (from others) that lack content. (once saw someone quote me and reply HAHA, that one got removed. He reposted it later and added a comment of his own, that post remains)

I have also noticed my posts removed when entire threads are removed, and to be honest, those threads were troll threads or rigged for flame wars.

So to answer your question, I have noticed a few of my posts go AWOL, but I understand why it happened.

Caelthras – Fort Aspenwood
3rd Flora Artillery Unit

Aggressive Mods?

QSpec.4298

These are the forum rules:

Keep it clean
Keep it civil
Stay on topic
Be responsible
Share your knowledge
Report posts for removal if they violate these standards

I admit that the first might have violated the rule on civility.

I am making the claim that my second post did not violate any of the above (given the organic nature of conversation… more on this in a moment). Yet it was taken down anyway.

For example, I think it would be wrong to remove the second poster’s comments despite his clearly going off topic. Same with you in fact. I merely asked a question which neither of you answered. That said, given the organic nature of conversation, it is important to allow a small amount of deviation from the OP.

Aggressive Mods?

Posted by: lollie.5816

lollie.5816

I’ve reported the mods to Arenanet, hopefully they get investigated. Had one post removed that said “Err this thread is about Orr, not dungeons”, posting to someone who didn’t get the thread topic (the thread was about Orr – https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Frustration-level-is-so-high-it-s-simply-lame/first). What was wrong with that, I don’t understand.

(edited by Moderator)

Aggressive Mods?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I wouldn’t say they’re agressive. Compared to some forums I wouldn’t even call them strict. But then yes they are stricter than some other forums.

As far as I know for most minor infractions there are no consequences other than the post getting deleted, so I just shrug it off and try to remember what they didn’t like for next time.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Aggressive Mods?

Posted by: Campana.9216

Campana.9216

I wouldn’t say they’re agressive. Compared to some forums I wouldn’t even call them strict. But then yes they are stricter than some other forums.

As far as I know for most minor infractions there are no consequences other than the post getting deleted, so I just shrug it off and try to remember what they didn’t like for next time.

Exactly this.

Edit: if you have a big community, and let it run unchecked, then forums can become pretty nasty places to hang out. So for a game this size, with a focus on building community, the level of moderation seems appropriate.

Aggressive Mods?

lollie.5816

The thing is, I don’t get what their brand of issue is, look above at an example of total wtf with a removed post.

Aggressive Mods?

Posted by: Campana.9216

Campana.9216

@lollie mods can make mistakes, misread things, or misclick and remove the wrong post by accident, particularly on a very busy forum. If you think a decision was incorrect, just sent a polite PM to the moderator involved.

Aggressive Mods?

lollie.5816

@lollie mods can make mistakes, misread things, or misclick and remove the wrong post by accident, particularly on a very busy forum. If you think a decision was incorrect, just sent a polite PM to the moderator involved.

I tried – you can’t pm mods, had to send an email to Arenanet.

Aggressive Mods?

lollie.5816

You’d think they’d remove the posts of the guy I replied to, talking about the OP slitting his wrists if he tried dungeons…

Aggressive Mods?

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

Some of the stuff deleted shouldn’t be. I’ve had a couple of those. I think they just flat delete anything that someone flags, without looking at it.

They also move threads, but the PMs about the moves don’t say which thread it was that was moved.

I sent an email to their forum email address listing my complaints.

Aggressive Mods?

QSpec.4298

@Hikeroar

That’s kind of the conclusion I came to as well.

I also sent an email. Has anyone received a response?

Aggressive Mods?

Posted by: Gawna.6519

Gawna.6519

I haven’t really noticed the mods being too aggressive. Some things are a judgement call and not everyone will read them the same way. I come from DDO where the forum mods are just out of control and will give you infraction points for anything and everything.

Gawna . Gawnaball . Gawnapewpew . Gawnapick . Mamadapolis
NSFW : Dragonbrand

Aggressive Mods?

Posted by: Delacroix.8594

Delacroix.8594

No idea, sometimes I don’t understand why the lock threads or remove posts. I got one of my posts removed and I wasn’t allowed to post on that thread anymore, saying that my post wasn’t contributing to the topic. The topic basically was: “Zomg dis is da b3st gam3 3va, anyon3 who disagr33s is a hat3r!.” Nothing else, nothing constructive about it, wasn’t contributing at all other than causing problems, but I suppose that since it was pro-GW2 it was allowed to remain open.

Aggressive Mods?

Posted by: Vzur.7123

Vzur.7123

I had a post removed for making a joke, that if Quaggans weren’t given proper furniture, I’d quit.. I thought it was an obvious joke, but guess that didn’t matter. No threats of quitting allowed.

Aggressive Mods?

Posted by: Gao Gao.4973

Gao Gao.4973

they are pretty aggressive, but it’s for the best. go check out other MMO forums, and you’ll see what i mean.

Baiyun – Necromancer
Member of Talons [BT]
Fort Aspenwood

Aggressive Mods?

Posted by: BlueprintLFE.2358

BlueprintLFE.2358

Yes, I’m almost afraid to post now, as half of he things I have posted have been infracted, (I have never been infracted on any other forums I have ever been on) as I’m usually not looking for an Internet fight.

I was infracted for telling people that were raging at arena net in a thread, (saying they were comparing being burned to death the same as doing dungeons) my infracted post was “this is a video game, if it is making you that angry take a break”

I don’t even want to post half the time now because I’m just expecting to get infracted.

USMC 1st Battalion 10th Marines
Guardian-Blueprinted, Warrior- Grizzilli
[JCM] Guild: Ehmry Bay WvW

Aggressive Mods?

Posted by: BlueprintLFE.2358

BlueprintLFE.2358

Yes, I don’t even want to post now, as half of he things I have posted have been infracted, (I have never been infracted on any other forums I have ever been on) as I’m usually not looking for an Internet fight, or interested in Internet tough guys.

I was infracted for telling people that were raging at arena net in a thread, (saying they were comparing being burned to death the same as doing dungeons) my infracted post was “this is a video game, if it is making you that angry take a break”

I don’t even want to post half the time now because I’m just expecting to get infracted.

USMC 1st Battalion 10th Marines
Guardian-Blueprinted, Warrior- Grizzilli
[JCM] Guild: Ehmry Bay WvW

(edited by BlueprintLFE.2358)

Aggressive Mods?

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

I think that the real issue is that not everyone is infracted for the things some people are singled out for, so we get an idea that certain behaviors are acceptable. For example, I was infracted for posting a video of teleporting botters. A lot of people post videos accusing others here and suffer no infractions.

Aggressive Mods?

Posted by: Moderator

Hey guys, this thread, while civil, is off topic for this subforum. If you have concerns about the moderation, please send an email to forums@arena.net.