Aggro change: A new way to aproach a foe

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pants Are Dangerous.2079

Pants Are Dangerous.2079

Please feel free to move or re-post this thread elsewhere if needed.

In most MMO including Guild Wars 2 the aggro detection range of an foe is the same regardless which the direction the player approaches it. This might be because the foe is at the center of the aggro detection perimeter.

However if said center of perimeter was to be in front of a foe, it’s aggro distance would be shorter behind it.
This would better emulate a foe’s visual detection range as foes that can see would theoretically rely on their sight more than there hearing.
Also it would provide players with the ability to sneak behind a foe to either to avoid combat or attack it.

The Secret World MMO has this implemented. In the very first area you can move behind zombies without being detected or you can sneak attack them. This adds to each fight a layer of preparation and strategy.

I would really like this as I enjoy sneak attacks a lot.

Thank you very much

Attachments:

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

LOL, are you really talking about aggro on the gw2 forums? Also they have issues when you mention other games by name.

Posted by: broFenix.1632

broFenix.1632

Hmmm seems cool, but yeah maybe don’t mention MMO titles :P

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Rhyzom had something similar (probably still does the game has done a pheonix act so many times can never tell).
It adds a layer of complexity to the code however that would need to be build in from the ground. Doubt it could be added afterwards.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I would like this. It also would cause a more realistic environment…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Would this system work along side the existing system ? I ask because some creatures would realistically have more acute hearing than sight.

Posted by: Servanin.5021

Servanin.5021

Most stealth games work like that. It often makes enemies seem kind of kitten y as you walk right up behind them and they don’t see you or hear you, as it wouldn’t be fun if they could hear you slicing a guy’s juggular since you’d never be able to stealth more than a lone enemy.

Since enemies in GW2 do not hear you, it would probably seem like that.

On the flip side its also quite frustrating and difficult to do when they can hear everything, or when there are 3 enemies facing in directions that cover each other.

Posted by: Pants Are Dangerous.2079

Pants Are Dangerous.2079

This was merely a suggestion. I wouldn’t shift the aggro so that players would be able to stand right behind a foe but just a little.

@ Yargesh
I think the difficulty to implement this would depend on the Guild Wars 2 code but yes it would involve some time effort and resources to implement.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Oddly enough, I’m pretty sure something like this is roughly in place. I’ve been able to sneak up on a foe with its back turned. Makes for a sweet Cloak and Dagger crit.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632