All I want 4 Wintersday(Katana and Wakizashi)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

That’s it…that’s all I want…you teased us…now fulfill the dream of many Samurai/Ninja/Vampire Hunter/Kill Bill/whatever dreamers…:)

Sell the Katana and Wakizashi skins as a set in the Gem Store. Make them reasonably priced…like 200-300 gems for the set…they’re simple…elegant…clean…

Guaranteed to sell like hotcakes.

Pretty please…

Plus it’ll get the annoying kid in the back of the room to shut-up about it…(that would be me…yeah…me)

I do because I can
I can because I want to
I want to because you said I couldn’t

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

But you can’t use a Katana and Wakizashi simultaneously. The Katana is a greatsword. Wakizashi would be longsword. You need a Tanto to go with the Wakizashi in the off hand.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I’d buy this.

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

A — Tanto the dagger
B — Wakizashi would be off-hand
C — Katana is one-handed
D — No-Daishi is a greatsword

Belinda’s Greatsword is a No-Daishi
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Belinda's_Greatsword_

Attachments:

(edited by Game of Bones.8975)

Posted by: Crowley.8761

Crowley.8761

Nodachi is the greatsword

Katana is what we would call a kitten sword because it’s long enough to function as a greatsword and was commonly used two handed as shields were not a major part of samurai techniques.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Properly speaking a Katana should be used with two hands. But I will accept that Belinda’s sword is pretty ridiculous, so probably not a katana. Also, that a katana can be used one handed making it more of a born out of wedlock sword. There isn’t a such thing, though, mechanically, as an offhand sword, it’s just a sword that you can use in your offhand if you have that set, so it’s one or the other, not both. If you don’t then it’s dagger, which is the Tanto.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Nichivo.5046

Nichivo.5046

Properly speaking a Katana should be used with two hands. But I will accept that Belinda’s sword is pretty ridiculous, so probably not a katana. Also, that a katana can be used one handed making it more of a born out of wedlock sword. There isn’t a such thing, though, mechanically, as an offhand sword, it’s just a sword that you can use in your offhand if you have that set, so it’s one or the other, not both. If you don’t then it’s dagger, which is the Tanto.

I’m more of a Rapier, Main-Gauche person myself, but reading your statement would make one think there is not a Japanese equivalent.

The use of Katana, Wakizashi better known as Niten Ichi had it’s beginning in roughly 1604 by Miyamoto Musashi if I recall correctly.

Posted by: Metasynaptic.1093

Metasynaptic.1093

Katana is used in one or two hands. Used with a shortsword, or wakizashi, the swordsman is practising what is called Nito-ryu, or, two swords school.

An aikeido grandmaster came from japan to our local school and spared with our black belts. Much more junior blackbelts were able to easily defeat the grandmaster who was using nito. Nito is much harder to master over the single katana.

Posted by: Nichivo.5046

Nichivo.5046

An aikeido grandmaster came from japan to our local school and spared with our black belts. Much more junior blackbelts were able to easily defeat the grandmaster who was using nito. Nito is much harder to master over the single katana.

You mean Aikido? If so, why is a grappler using sword techniques? Sorry I am older than dirt this makes no sense to me.

I should probably clarify. I know weapon training is a part of Aikido, but it is hardly a focus, like it would be for say a Kendo or Kenjutsu practitioner.

(edited by Nichivo.5046)

Posted by: Metasynaptic.1093

Metasynaptic.1093

Aikido encompasses both grappling techniques and weapons.

Our Aikido school is almost exclusively focused on weapon training.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think these are the closest approximations we have so far:

Tanto
Anton’s Boot Blade or Kenshi’s Wing

Wakizashi or Katana
Ceremonial Sabre or Mordrem Saber (if you don’t mind the colour).

Katana/No-Dashi/Nodachi/etc.
Pretty much only Belinda’s Greatsword as every other greatsword is either too wide, a strange shape or both.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”