All I want are simple pants...where are they?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

I want a pair of regular pants too. I wonder why they can’t just duplicate something like the Incarnate female pants and cut off the lace and dangly parts. Or just port over the Male version of the Ascalonian light pants. Or some of the female medium pants. I don’t know how all that works though.

Posted by: Mushuchalaka.9437

Mushuchalaka.9437

All my female characters,except for light armor of course, wear some form of pants/leggings with no skirt. I’m also a fan of sleek looking pants on female characters.

Skirts for light are like the trenchcoats for medium armor. Too many.

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

Something like this?

Too bad I can’t use the “look” as wardrobe over my regular gear. But for some reason Anet says that unless you are a (name the weight here) armor wearer, you can’t use it.

So unless it comes in Light and actually looks like that, I am left out in the cold.

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

Actually if you take a look at the “Mini Bandit Bomber” miniature. She is wearing the Country Coat light chest piece together with medium trousers.

Now why can’t we as players mix different armour categories again? Just for looks of course, but why? It is possible, the mini shows it clearly.

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

I’m honestly impressed with how this went from:

“I want more simple pants for the light armor class”

to

“This game is sexist against women because I can’t find enough pants to my liking, regardless if they exist or not (spoiler: they do) in the light armor department”.

I mean if it matters that much to you, maybe consider rolling a medium or a heavy class character with an aesthetic you can accept?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Actually if you take a look at the “Mini Bandit Bomber” miniature. She is wearing the Country Coat light chest piece together with medium trousers.

Now why can’t we as players mix different armour categories again? Just for looks of course, but why? It is possible, the mini shows it clearly.

The miniatures are custom made, not scaled down copies of an original item. They aren’t actually wearing ingame armor but artwork that looks like armor.

Mistake on a miniature showing that they are artwork unrelated to the real thing. The Tybalt miniature. It has a female Charr tail.

Attachments:

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

There are also NPCs who wear a mix of the old town clothes and armour, and of course NPCs in unique clothing we cannot get at all. And NPCs doing things no player character can, like Scholar Mossi (the legendary researcher) who is dual wielding and axe and pistol.

Some of this is understandable – like scholar Mossi, Anet might think it doesn’t make sense in terms of game mechanics to let you use axe/pistol, but there’s no reason someone couldn’t simply hold both and it saves having another NPC to show it off.

But other things are more frustrating – like clothing combinations we can’t have. When I’m in a good mood I tell myself maybe it’s because as soon as you step away from that exact combination – that specific top and leggings on that exact NPC model – you get all kinds of problems with clipping and they don’t think it’d be well received if they allowed us to mix and match armour weights and town clothes/outfits, but only specific ones and which ones they are depends on your character.

When I’m feeling more grumpy I decide they just like having rules.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Mango.1845

Mango.1845

GW1’s armor was much better.

Yes, yes, 100 times yes.

I wish, we had more armors like in GW1 and I don’t know what is so difficult to design some nice pants for the light armored females.

kolompi.1287

The miniatures are custom made, not scaled down copies of an original item. They aren’t actually wearing ingame armor but artwork that looks like armor.

Mistake on a miniature showing that they are artwork unrelated to the real thing. The Tybalt miniature. It has a female Charr tail.

And you believe that they made a whole new miniature wearing the exact same items that are available when all they had to do was to put the things together? It makes no sense at all to put all that work into a mini when you have the assets available.

Just a flesh wound.3589

And you believe that they made a whole new miniature wearing the exact same items that are available when all they had to do was to put the things together? It makes no sense at all to put all that work into a mini when you have the assets available.

Did you see the picture I posted of Tybalt with the female tail? In case you don’t know, Tybalt in game is male and doesn’t have a female tail. A mistake like that on a miniature is pretty good clue they put all the work into a mini when they have the assets available.

ANet may give it to you.

lynspottery.6529

I’m honestly impressed with how this went from:

“I want more simple pants for the light armor class”

to

“This game is sexist against women because I can’t find enough pants to my liking, regardless if they exist or not (spoiler: they do) in the light armor department”.

I mean if it matters that much to you, maybe consider rolling a medium or a heavy class character with an aesthetic you can accept?

I really do not think my posting was sexist. Please to not attribute that view point to me.

lynspottery.6529

I want to send out a huge “thank you” to everyone posting here. I am impressed the thread has actually contributed to the “conversation” for plain pants on light armor female characters.

I have seen all different threads from beta to present day and its the same idea in a continuous line….plain pants for light armor female characters….NOW to get someone at Anet to actually help us achieve this.

I appreciate all commentary and believe me, I am not bashing anyone, just asking for something I think is a simple request.

CETheLucid.3964

I really do not think my posting was sexist. Please to not attribute that view point to me.

I didn’t say your post was sexist. At least it didn’t begin that way.

You said the devs were being sexist by not having pants catered to your particular tastes, and edited your original post a few mins ago to whitewash your rhetoric.

You started with a simple request and no one could fault you for suggesting more options.

You really should have stuck to the core of that instead of following after posters who want to make it a SJW issue.

It doesn’t help your cause and it makes you look bad.

kolompi.1287

Did you see the picture I posted of Tybalt with the female tail? In case you don’t know, Tybalt in game is male and doesn’t have a female tail. A mistake like that on a miniature is pretty good clue they put all the work into a mini when they have the assets available.

Putting the wrong tail on a mini is a bit different than putting together some clothes. Yes, i can imagine that the person who made the mini put the wrong tail on it. Worse things have happened. Kiel changed her face a couple of times because probably different developers worked on different chapters where she was included.

But making brand new miniature models of some clothes – that already exist – that is a new level of wasting resources.

lynspottery.6529

I didn’t say your post was sexist. At least it didn’t begin that way.

You said the devs were being sexist by not having pants catered to your particular tastes, and edited your original post a few mins ago to whitewash your rhetoric.

You started with a simple request and no one could fault you for suggesting more options.

You really should have stuck to the core of that instead of following after posters who want to make it a SJW issue.

It doesn’t help your cause and it makes you look bad.

I cannot fault your reasoning, but I edited my post after I reread it and realized it did not reflect what I was trying to say. As for the sexism topic, its unfortunate that comes up in any genre. But ignoring it is not a solution either.

However, folks discussing genre and characterization do have a right to state what they think. I don’t always agree but I have to say that, like it or not, it is inherent in the way character gear appears, based upon a certain expectation by the designer, and not the player.

At my age, I just cannot see myself in some of those frilly, fru fru outfits even if my characters appear young. I am over 70 years after all, and I have to laugh at the image of my wrinkled self wearing some of those outfits gets me giggling all the time.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Putting the wrong tail on a mini is a bit different than putting together some clothes. Yes, i can imagine that the person who made the mini put the wrong tail on it. Worse things have happened. Kiel changed her face a couple of times because probably different developers worked on different chapters where she was included.

But making brand new miniature models of some clothes – that already exist – that is a new level of wasting resources.

Putting the wrong tail on a mini shows that minis are made from the ground up and are not scaled down models of ingame NPCs. If they are made from the ground up then they aren’t wearing armor but artwork that looks like armor and in that case can wear any mix the Devs want them to wear as their “armor” has no meshes or seams.

Unless you can come up with some explanation as to how a miniature of a male Charr gained a female tail unless it was made from the ground up, my explanation that when a mini is wearing an apparent mix of armor types it’s because it’s only artwork and not a scale down of a model stands as the correct explanation.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

NPCs are also not constructed the same way as player characters in the first place.

Just a flesh wound.3589

NPCs are also not constructed the same way as player characters in the first place.

Good point. I hadn’t thought of it but I doubt that NPcs are constrained by armor weights, meshes or seams like our chars are. The Devs can mix and match “armor” on NPCs as they wish because it’s only artwork. The only reason not to do so is to maintain a look for the armor weights the same as players, not because the “armor” stops them from doing so.

ANet may give it to you.

videoboy.4162

If we’re lucky, Gaile will take an interest in this topic and something will get done. She’s really good at paying attention to us and passing the message along.

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

I hate the light armour in this, most of it make you look like an ornate stripper and the rest is just ugly. If you could at least have normal (not harem) pants you could make make something ok but I’m not sure they are capable of resisting the urge to attach butt flaps and frills.

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

Yes, that’s why we have bunny ears already....

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

I want to send out a huge “thank you” to everyone posting here. I am impressed the thread has actually contributed to the “conversation” for plain pants on light armor female characters.

I have seen all different threads from beta to present day and its the same idea in a continuous line….plain pants for light armor female characters….NOW to get someone at Anet to actually help us achieve this.

I appreciate all commentary and believe me, I am not bashing anyone, just asking for something I think is a simple request.

I’d personally been asking for this for a few years. Also more revealing male armours. Hasn’t really happened. Very disappointing. I’m on the verge of suggesting we all get our heads together and make some sketches and submit them for kind consideration.

In the last few months I’ve been playing some other games, and can say ESO affords the player character some dignity in this respect (whilst having some other armour issues that it needs to attend to). Age of Conan has something of equality when it comes to the armour for both sexes, plus the fantastic vanity tab which is far superior to what GW2 is offering, although it’s an older game with other issues.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I personally love pants. I also love normal shirts, vest and etc. Coats, skirts and dresses are so 1990.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

CETheLucid.3964

I cannot fault your reasoning, but I edited my post after I reread it and realized it did not reflect what I was trying to say.

Everyone makes mistakes. Fair enough.

As for the sexism topic, its unfortunate that comes up in any genre. But ignoring it is not a solution either.

It would be unfortunate if the issue at hand truly was some blatant, undeniable form of sexism. I wouldn’t expect people to ignore it.

But fortunately, that’s not the case.

However, folks discussing genre and characterization do have a right to state what they think. I don’t always agree but I have to say that, like it or not, it is inherent in the way character gear appears, based upon a certain expectation by the designer, and not the player.

Yes, all designs in the game meet a certain expectation by the designers of the game. They follow a theme, loosely.

You picked a light armor class, a mage of some school of magic, which are part and parcel for flowing ornamental clothing (for both female and male) in most fiction.

Even so, pants and non-risque options do exist for the light armor class. Several have been pointed out. Use the wardrobe in your bank to figure out a look for yourself.

At my age, I just cannot see myself in some of those frilly, fru fru outfits even if my characters appear young. I am over 70 years after all, and I have to laugh at the image of my wrinkled self wearing some of those outfits gets me giggling all the time.

I sincerely hope you find what you’re looking for.

If the aesthetic is that important to you, it really might be worthwhile for you to reroll a medium or heavy armor class.

If you’re playing a human female, maybe try out a norn. You can make them look much more mature and tested.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

What I’d love to see if just some plain and simple modern day fashions. Where’s the simple T-shirt and jeans? Maybe a tank top, sweat pants, pants, or leggings? There’s an elegance missing from the game in simplicity.

With this design team, I have no doubt if Jeans or Pants were green lit we’d end up with grungy torn up ones. No, I’m asking for nice clean new looking ones! Sure you can have another torn up set afterwards but, a nice one please???? F asking for “nice” and/or “clean” is like pulling teeth from the art dept.

Of course all the above is for ARMOR SKINS!

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Personally, now that there are outfits that can make light armor chars look like they’re wearing heavy armor and vice versa, I think it’s long past the time for ANet to let go of the tropes: light is robes/dresses. Medium is leather coats and heavy is chainmail. Go ahead and design armor that looks like it belongs to another class. Who cares now? Not I. They should let go of the old rule books and let their imagination run free.

And yes. Some pants for light. It’s not going to kill the game.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Aarean.5398

Aarean.5398

LYN please stop leading people to assume you brought up sexism in this post. You did nothing of the sort and it was AMPA that brough her idiotic feministic ideals into your perfectly reasonable request. Just ignore them. Also please advocate for realistic looking armor sets across the board. I want my main to look like certain authentic medieval infantry.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

You can also see it with the mini preview bug.

Transform into a Mini Toy Golem and then open your mini tab in the hero panel. Compare texture quality Rytlock with revenant Rytlock.

It is possible to see the difference without the bug but scaling them up makes it a lot easier.

I am guessing they started doing this to save memory on client.

lynspottery.6529

Yes, all designs in the game meet a certain expectation by the designers of the game. They follow a theme, loosely.

You picked a light armor class, a mage of some school of magic, which are part and parcel for flowing ornamental clothing (for both female and male) in most fiction.

Even so, pants and non-risque options do exist for the light armor class. Several have been pointed out. Use the wardrobe in your bank to figure out a look for yourself.

This might be how a lot of folks see this, obviously it is your viewpoint as well, however, I do disagree that it is set in stone and cannot be different.

I sincerely hope you find what you’re looking for.

If the aesthetic is that important to you, it really might be worthwhile for you to reroll a medium or heavy armor class.

If you’re playing a human female, maybe try out a norn. You can make them look much more mature and tested.

I should not have to change to a different character type just for the pants. That is totally unacceptable.

Just because I have a human female for my ele, should not restrict my choice of costume garments. The thing I keep trying to point out here is, if you look at the exact same item on all female gear weights, it shows (as the tool tip says) as pants on the heavy and medium, but not on light.

I do believe I make a valid point in this regard.

I do not believe costume clothing should be restricted based upon gear weight worn by any character either. If you are using separate pieces to create a particular look there really should be a broader offering than just what is restricted to light armor according to the developer’s choices.

As for “outfits,” however, they seem to be a complete look and cannot be separated. If you use a “skin” there are no stats attached to it, therefore, it should not be a problem to keep the exact look regardless what it is chosen to cover up.

CETheLucid.3964

This might be how a lot of folks see this, obviously it is your viewpoint as well, however, I do disagree that it is set in stone and cannot be different.

Okay? I mean I’m not asking for it to be set in stone? I didn’t say anything like that. I hope one day they make something you like.

As it stands though? It is what it is. The look you want doesn’t belong to the armor class you selected.

You can hold out hope for a pair of medium armor inspired pants that you might find acceptable some day down the road.

Or, roll a class with the armor that has the look you want. Do as you will.

lynspottery.6529

Okay? I mean I’m not asking for it to be set in stone? I didn’t say anything like that. I hope one day they make something you like.

As it stands though? It is what it is. The look you want doesn’t belong to the armor class you selected.

You can hold out hope for a pair of medium armor inspired pants that you might find acceptable some day down the road.

Or, roll a class with the armor that has the look you want. Do as you will.

Whoa…did not think I would upset you. I was enjoying the back and forth discussion.

In fact I was obliquely making a bit of fun of the designer’s choices in the meantime.

CETheLucid.3964

Whoa…did not think I would upset you. I was enjoying the back and forth discussion.

In fact I was obliquely making a bit of fun of the designer’s choices in the meantime.

Attachments:

lynspottery.6529

I am aware that the devs’ and designers’ wish to maintain their own vision of various things in those very games they are selling to the public. However, they tend to forget that particular restriction they created when they ask for feedback, and appear silent on the issues when the community offers volumes of suggestions that really won’t break the game.

Posted by: MetalGirl.2370

MetalGirl.2370

Anet said something about them wanting armors to have a specific look to them. But that NO LONGER means anything because of outfits…. warriors can easily have dress now or eles can look heavy with Balthazar outfit, so to still have it limited to one design is RIDICULOUS ! …The only pants-like look for light female is Profane and lets be real, that looks like something a girl would wear in a certain club after midnight. So give us normal pants for female light already and make people happy.
I know the whole thing of armors being in game and oufits on gemstore and I agree with that … so since there are no armors ever almost being added in, then make a simple casual looking outfit – jeans and shirt, very simple … don’t make it have shoulders or unneccesary things like bags, gloves or some accessories all over it… just make it plain and simple.

Mesmerizing

CETheLucid.3964

The only pants-like look for light female is Profane and lets be real, that looks like something a girl would wear in a certain club after midnight..

Alright.

You consider these pants.
But these are NOT pants.

Do I understand you correctly?

Posted by: MetalGirl.2370

MetalGirl.2370

The only pants-like look for light female is Profane and lets be real, that looks like something a girl would wear in a certain club after midnight..

Alright.

But these are NOT pants.

You can obviously see it has skirt around, so does Ascalon, Primitive, one of norn culturals .. and so on and thats why i dont consider it pants… Profane is the only pants-like look that doesnt have skirt around it

Mesmerizing

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

I’ve been searching for light armour pants too, but the best ones belong to medium armour classes. These are the only pants I found for light armour, still has the light feel to it:

Attachments:

gaem not made for mi
===========

Just a flesh wound.3589

Alright.

But these are NOT pants.

The word pants is not a word I would apply to either of those items. One is a skirt with leggings underneath. The other is….. not something I would see being worn in real life except on certain role playing intimate encounters. At that point I expect it has its own technical term to describe it. In game, I would say panties, with leggings and straps.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

I had trouble finding a decent skirt for my girls to the point where I researched how to fake one. I want a real knee length skirt for both asura and human. The best i came up with was the magician leggings which had a dye channel devoted to the legs. I tried to match my character’s skin color. The illusion only works during the day, at night the legs take on a purple hue compared to normal skin.

Attachments:

Little red Lioka

lynspottery.6529

Yea…Anet really does need to address this. It’s long overdue in my opinion.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Yea…Anet really does need to address this. It’s long overdue in my opinion.

and their love for buttcapes? :P

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Yes….pants please. Real…simple…pants.

Not shorts with tights (ascalon performer)

Not pants with a butt cape (priory, conjurer, devout)

Someone suggested student for pants, but that is “skirt and tights” by my standard. Or “pants and butt cape” if you prefer.

I want pants. Just pants.

Like Illustrious, Marauder, or Scout available for medium. (Lookin at just the pants component here)

(GW1 references incoming)
Hell, my ele would even settle for just having her obby armor again. Or my mesmer for her elite rogues.

Some very simple short skirts would be appreciated too. Like the mesmer monument. Or the ele kurzick 1.5k. No frilly tights or stockings. Just the skirt.

Please? Please? Pretty please?!

(All armor mentioned are from the human female character perspective)

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Ampa.2749

Ampa.2749

I’m a 66 year old grandfather (’ampa) with two daughters. I try to be sensitive to gender issues, including female role models. When my youngest daughter (now 26) was leveling her first character, she asked me why all the low level armor left her character half undressed. Good question.

When I was leveling my Mesmer, I felt like half the time all I could see was her rear end in my face.

I understand that GW2 is a fantasy game centered about combat. But as I survey the available clothing, I see male clothing as “rugged and tough” but female clothing as “sexual.” Sorry, that’s just me. And that perceived gender bias is the meaning of the word “sexist.”

Guardian, Engineer, Elementalist, Mesmer, Thief, Necro

lynspottery.6529

I’m a 66 year old grandfather (’ampa) with two daughters. I try to be sensitive to gender issues, including female role models. When my youngest daughter (now 26) was leveling her first character, she asked me why all the low level armor left her character half undressed. Good question.

When I was leveling my Mesmer, I felt like half the time all I could see was her rear end in my face.

I understand that GW2 is a fantasy game centered about combat. But as I survey the available clothing, I see male clothing as “rugged and tough” but female clothing as “sexual.” Sorry, that’s just me. And that perceived gender bias is the meaning of the word “sexist.”

Thank you Ampa. You have expressed it very eloquently. I’m an over 70 female player and really have not liked the light armor I see offered when my medium or heavy armor females can get really nice looking gear.

All I want is to be able to use the same “look” on my light armor wearer without having to see garters w/stockings, extra mini-skirts, lace encrusted tights (you get the idea here). After all, its not like the item is not available in the game at all, just restricted and that makes absolutely no sense.

CETheLucid.3964

The word pants is not a word I would apply to either of those items.

OK.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Female cloths are crap. Clearly the target demographic is 14-18 year old males.

I gave up long ago and just bought a Jungle Explorer Outfit.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Jungle_Explorer_Outfit

I don’t believe that the cause of girl gamers is served by this sexist bias. Just my opinion.

I’m pretty confident that target demographic has jack all to do with it. Someone in the art department (or someone who hands down orders to the art department) has an obsession with buttcapes.

There’s nothing particularly sexist about creating different styles based on gender. Most, if not all, societies do it and it’s not always a matter of fully-clothed versus skimpy.

If you think GW2 light armors are targeted toward young males, go look at TERA for a dose of perspective. Most of the time, the closest GW2 armor comes to “skimpy” is some belly or sideboob showing. And there are plenty of super-easy-to-unlock light armors that cover every inch of skin.

The issue is the distinct lack of variation in style. Somewhere along the line, somebody decided “this is the style each armor is going to follow for gender and armor class” and they’ve stuck with it, with very few exceptions. So light armor has 99% buttcapes, medium has 99% trenchcoats, etc. For a mix and match system, it gets very repetitive.

Or words to that effect.

videoboy.4162

Maybe we’ll luck out and one of the designers will see the demand and make us a pair of pants. =)

lynspottery.6529

The lack of diversity in clothing, regardless of armor class (light, medium or heavy) seems to be the norm in GW2. I did a search for things that I wanted to see available as a costume item to cover up the real armor my ele is wearing, and there is very little.

If I can get a decent look to my armor on my Ranger and on my Revenant, I see no reason why I can’t get the same for my elementalist. Just does not make sense.

lynspottery.6529

Maybe we’ll luck out and one of the designers will see the demand and make us a pair of pants. =)

Actually, they would not have to make them at all….there are plenty in the game, they just need to change the restrictions on them to allow light armor wearers to be able to use them.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Actually, they would not have to make them at all….there are plenty in the game, they just need to change the restrictions on them to allow light armor wearers to be able to use them.

They have said before that the reason that they can’t have mixing and matching across armor weights was because the 3 types of armor are “fundamentally incompatible.” From what they’ve said the problem seems to be dye channels that don’t match on the UI an each of the 3 weights have seams in different places. Heavy chests for example have seams at the waist. Medium chests have a seam further down. It’s probably really buggy, or even impossible, to try to get a piece with a seam on the legs to transmute to a place on the wardrobe UI that’s designed for a seam at the waist, and vice versa.

ANet may give it to you.