All I want is ONE new dungeon

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pray For Kosmos.5849

Pray For Kosmos.5849

I don’t think it’s too much to ask that after 2 years of no updates we can at least get ONE hardcore dungeon that is not FOTM. Make it really challenging, have great rewards, and new prestigious armor and weapons. Something like UW or FOW from the first game. Come on, already. Who am I kidding? This won’t happen. They will release more easy dungeons that anybody with half a brain can complete, put new skins in the gemstore, and continue to drown this game due to the success in China.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

(edited by Pray For Kosmos.5849)

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

What difference does it make that a difficult dungeon is at FOTM level 50 than a regular dungeon?

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

FOTM have a specific format that doesn’t appeal to everyone.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

What the new path of TA wasn’t a new dungeon?

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Make it really challenging, have great rewards, and new prestigious armor and weapons.

In other world : create exclusive content and skins only for 2-5% of the playerbase.

No thanks. Better spent your development ressources for stuff for the other 95%.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Which is precisely why FOTM is best for this, the majority of the playerbase could do the low level fractals that are easy and the hardcore can attempt to do it on level 50.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Make it similar to FOTM: different scales of difficulties, which increase the rewards.

Make it lengthy and/or place the way points/safe spots in the dungeon so those who can’t beat the dungeon in one go can log in later after doing a part of it and continue from where they left.

Make the boss battles engaging and hard, appropriate to selected scale, for example, the hardest difficulty mixes the elements of both Liadri and Mai Trin.

Just few ideas, but of course none of this is going to happen.

Pray For Kosmos.5849

I would not classify FOTM as difficult content itself. The only thing that makes it difficult is a stupid game mechanic called agony that really has no purpose in any dungeon. Why have agony when you can just have a difficult dungeon? I don’t buy the whole thing, “Errr.. kitten .. kitten .. we need content for 95 percent of the player base.” That’s why you have a normal mode and a HARD mode. And Yes, Hard Mode has better rewards and the prestigious skins. If you can’t beat the dungeon, you don’t deserve them.

Posted by: Spiky.8403

Spiky.8403

Make it really challenging, have great rewards, and new prestigious armor and weapons.

In other world : create exclusive content and skins only for 2-5% of the playerbase.

No thanks. Better spent your development ressources for stuff for the other 95%.

And this, dear players, is why devs create crappy games. Long live casuals!

I would not classify FOTM as difficult content itself. The only thing that makes it difficult is a stupid game mechanic called agony that really has no purpose in any dungeon. Why have agony when you can just have a difficult dungeon? I don’t buy the whole thing, “Errr.. kitten .. kitten .. we need content for 95 percent of the player base.” That’s why you have a normal mode and a HARD mode. And Yes, Hard Mode has better rewards and the prestigious skins. If you can’t beat the dungeon, you don’t deserve them.

Wait, wait… Do you want people to actually do something to gain their rewards? You must be new to this forum.

(edited by Spiky.8403)

Pray For Kosmos.5849

I don’t think we’ll ever see any hard dungeons as long as FOTM is still around. Lets just close this topic.

Vayne.8563

All I want is Anet to make every profession useful and effective in dungeons.

Plus one to this. I think particularly engineers and necros need help in this area.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Death Dungeons.

Upon entering you agree that if you die in this dungeon your character and everything on him will be instantly deleted. Only level 80 characters in ascended quality gear may pass.

If you manage to survive and beat the dungeon you deserve the opportunity to open a chest which most likely will contain an item of masterwork quality but with the chance of a super rare skin.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Pray For Kosmos.5849

No group respawning would be a good start. I’d like to see that. Your entire team wipes? Time to restart the entire dungeon.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

I would like new dungeon too even though im not much of that type of player who likes to do instances.I would like it so that expends PVE content and if dungeon is done well i would do it.I dont like fractials and never done any of them (was just watching brother playing it),so i dont want new dungeon to be part of fractials.I would like new dungeon to look as some dark castle cause those sort of instances this game missing.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Death Dungeons.

Upon entering you agree that if you die in this dungeon your character and everything on him will be instantly deleted. Only level 80 characters in ascended quality gear may pass.

If you manage to survive and beat the dungeon you deserve the opportunity to open a chest which most likely will contain an item of masterwork quality but with the chance of a super rare skin.

While I understand (or at least hope) this is sarcasm…. it still creates the desire to drown you for giving them such an idea…

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

It will be a challenge to keep a new dungeon challenging. A solution would be to randomise the abilities of the mobs the composition an synergy of mob groups and the mechanics of boss encounters for each new run. Each run should feel like the first run. Otherwise the challenge will disappear very fast and boring repetition of well-known mechanics will appear.

Arenanet advertised random encounters in dungeons but we can’t see this implementation in a satisfying way so far.

Beldin.5498

And this, dear players, is why devs create crappy games. Long live casuals!

I wonder when you elitsts finally get that you are just a very very small part of the playerbase that only is much more vocal in the forums so that it seems you are so much more.

Heck Turbine finally removed even raids from LotRO finally because after 8 years they decided that it is simply not worth creating content for 2% of the playerbase.

And no .. just because you can click mouse-buttons faster is not a real reason that only you deserve stuff and other not.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Rouven.7409

While I understand (or at least hope) this is sarcasm…. it still creates the desire to drown you for giving them such an idea…

You are right, I didn’t think that through. The gold sink would be too great and silk scraps would go through the roof.

It sounded like a good idea though. I even had special mounts only to be used in those new dungeons …

LanfearShadowflame.3189

You are right, I didn’t think that through. The gold sink would be too great and silk scraps would go through the roof.

It sounded like a good idea though. I even thought of special mounts only to be used in those new dungeons …

Oh how I desire to kill you….

…let me count the ways…..

Beldin.5498

I even had special mounts only to be used in those new dungeons …

What about Open-PvP in those dungeons ? With permadeath. You never know when your friend will sudenly backstab you ..

Special reward for people who survive 100 runs : an ugly cape that clips like hell

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

The same could be said for Dungeons in general….

I’m not opposed to new Dungeons, but it is a HUGE commitment of resources to an area of gameplay that is not frequented by a large segment of the player base. While Dungeon runners are vocal and might have a large presence on these forums, in terms of the general player base, a HUGE segment (upwards of 50% from the last Anet stat release) has never even entered a Dungeon (partially due to the attitude of those that frequent them).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Rouven.7409

What about Open-PvP in those dungeons ? With permadeath. You never know when your friend will sudenly backstab you ..

Special reward for people who survive 100 runs : an ugly cape that clips like hell

So … we do have to go through WvW first to get to the dungeon, right? Our traits could totally change within the dungeon as well, every guardian would be a healer, every elementalist a glass cannon …

Now I don’t want to be too hard, I do hope that the living story will have a dungeon with three paths along the way. Since the whole “meta-achievement” rewards has been changed no one can complain that the skin would be gated behind group content. The great equalizer of “open many chests” will take care of this.

As for the notion of “hardcore content”, I believe that should stay within the personal challenges such as Liadri. (Note that I did not even ever saw her)

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

All I want is Anet to make every profession useful and effective in dungeons.

Found the ranger (or necro lol)

SkiTz.4590

The same could be said for Dungeons in general….

I’m not opposed to new Dungeons, but it is a HUGE commitment of resources to an area of gameplay that is not frequented by a large segment of the player base. While Dungeon runners are vocal and might have a large presence on these forums, in terms of the general player base, a HUGE segment (upwards of 50% from the last Anet stat release) has never even entered a Dungeon (partially due to the attitude of those that frequent them).

Its because Dungs suck and are 100% not worth it and have been this way for a long time. This is why vast majority of the playerbase doesn’t do them. Look at the PUGs in the LFG tool. Hardly anyone. Anet doesn’t care about them anymore , just like sPvP and its lack of new game modes, everything else has been shoved aside for LS+gemstore because thats the only thing that will make anet money. targeting dungs/pvp or whatever else is not going to get players to buy more gems, which is anets top focus. Gems.
All anyone does them for is daily gold run. Not for those terrible skins requiring tokens. No one repeatadley farms a dung path more than once a day.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Which is precisely why FOTM is best for this, the majority of the playerbase could do the low level fractals that are easy and the hardcore can attempt to do it on level 50.

FotM is terrible because of the lack of rewards. The fact that I can do AFK dungeons like CoF/AC and get the same rewards for it is insulting.

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

partially due to the attitude of those that frequent them

Partially due to the huge step up in difficulty and game knowledge requirement. Open world teaches you almost nothing about the things that you should and sometimes need to use in instanced content. One word and you will get the picture.
Bearbow.

ps: Extra credits made a great episode about toxicity and what is the reason so called “elitists” are get mad or outright rude against the others. Worthwhile to check it out.
But a short tl;dr.
“Casuals” don’t care. Literally. It’s just a game for them. They sit down, smash buttons, have fun. Done.
On the other hand “elitists” are invested in the game. Both by time, emotionally, whatever. They love the game. And they get frustrated when someone else (“casuals”) just don’t give a skritt about the game nor them and they “playhowtheywant” and things just simply go wrong. I hope you got the point. Watch the whole vid, it’s a bit more complicated than that.

Its because Dungs suck and are 100% not worth it and have been this way for a long time.

Well, you know man, it’s just your opinion, would you so kind and elaborate this?

All anyone does them for is daily gold run. Not for those terrible skins requiring tokens. No one repeatadley farms a dung path more than once a day.

Because ANet nerfed it so it worth to run once a day for the guaranteed end reward … ?

SkiTz.4590

Partially due to the huge step up in difficulty and game knowledge requirement. Open world teaches you almost nothing about the things that you should and sometimes need to use in instanced content. One word and you will get the picture.
Bearbow.

ps: Extra credits made a great episode about toxicity and what is the reason so called “elitists” are get mad or outright rude against the others. Worthwhile to check it out.
But a short tl;dr.
“Casuals” don’t care. Literally. It’s just a game for them. They sit down, smash buttons, have fun. Done.
On the other hand “elitists” are invested in the game. Both by time, emotionally, whatever. They love the game. And they get frustrated when someone else (“casuals”) just don’t give a skritt about the game nor them and they “playhowtheywant” and things just simply go wrong. I hope you got the point. Watch the whole vid, it’s a bit more complicated than that.

Its because Dungs suck and are 100% not worth it and have been this way for a long time.

Well, you know man, it’s just your opinion, would you so kind and elaborate this?

Because ANet nerfed it so it worth to run once a day for the guaranteed end reward … ?

Opinion? No its a fact. Go look on the LFG tool and tell me how many PUGs you see doing dungs lol. Every MMO i’ve played usually had a solid number of PUGs for dungs. GW2 doesn’t even have hard dungs. Most are short and simple. But they are just so bad and absolutely worthless because the rewards have been abysmall for the longest time and there has hardly even been any serious updates to dung. Dungs are very much dead content in this game. Theres more people doing spvp, fracs, wvw, open world pve than there are ppl wanting to do dungs….

Vayne.8563

Bearbow.

But a short tl;dr.

Opinion? No its a fact. Go look on the LFG tool and tell me how many PUGs you see doing dungs lol. Every MMO i’ve played usually had a solid number of PUGs for dungs. GW2 doesn’t even have hard dungs. Most are short and simple. But they are just so bad and absolutely worthless because the rewards have been abysmall for the longest time and there has hardly even been any serious updates to dung. Dungs are very much dead content in this game. Theres more people doing spvp, fracs, wvw, open world pve than there are ppl wanting to do dungs….

This isn’t WoW. Which means you don’t have to wait for a monk or a healer to do dungeons. Which means groups fill fast.

If the dungeon scene is as dead as you say, why is it that on the rare ocassions I use the LFG tool, my dungeon groups fill in minutes.

The reason there’s no dungeons in the dungeon groups is because they fill so fast. Anyone who doesn’t believe it should try it.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Ooo, make it so they can’t stack and as an added bonus, can’t use melee weapons. Better yet, no traditional weapons. Environment weapons only. Let’s see who throws who under the bus so that they don’t die first.

evil chuckle

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Would prefer to get new paths without having old good paths being removed at the same time. RIP TAFU and RIP Vevina :<

Also its not exactly a dungeon designed for replayability with its unskippable cutscenes and excessively long dialogue and time gating. Why havent they, at the very least, changed the cutscenes to be skippable yet?

Vayne.8563

Would prefer to get new paths without having old good paths being removed at the same time. RIP TAFU and RIP Vevina :<

Also its not exactly a dungeon designed for replayability with its unskippable cutscenes and excessively long dialogue and time gating. Why havent they, at the very least, changed the cutscenes to be skippable yet?

They’re not that long or that bad, the cut scenes. You wanted a new dungeon, it’s a new dungeon. It’s longer and harder than the other dungeons.

And the dungeon path they removed was one people hardly ever did. I know this because people in my guild needed that path for dungeon master and it took them forever to get it.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

This isn’t WoW. Which means you don’t have to wait for a monk or a healer to do dungeons. Which means groups fill fast.

If the dungeon scene is as dead as you say, why is it that on the rare occasions I use the LFG tool, my dungeon groups fill in minutes.

If you observe the LFG interface, the groups that one can see for a while are those asking for specific requirements. The fact that “anything goes” groups fill fast is a testament to the fact that there are players who want to do dungeons who don’t meet those requirements but who don’t want to start their own groups. It is not necessarily proof that there are huge numbers of players doing dungeons, especially when your sample size is small (“…on the rare occasions…”). On those rare occasions, you might have gotten the only 4 people who want to do that dungeon right then, or there could be umpty-seven people just waiting for someone to start a group.

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

It would be nice if they occasionally catered to the other side of the spectrum with difficult rewarding content as OP suggested.

If they did it right I’d pay for it, just saying.

Vayne.8563

If the dungeon scene is as dead as you say, why is it that on the rare occasions I use the LFG tool, my dungeon groups fill in minutes.

If you observe the LFG interface, the groups that one can see for a while are those asking for specific requirements. The fact that “anything goes” groups fill fast is a testament to the fact that there are players who want to do dungeons who don’t meet those requirements but who don’t want to start their own groups. It is not necessarily proof that there are huge numbers of players doing dungeons, especially when your sample size is small (“…on the rare occasions…”). On those rare occasions, you might have gotten the only 4 people who want to do that dungeon right then, or there could be umpty-seven people just waiting for someone to start a group.

I’ve always maintained that there are far more anything goes players than people looking for specific requirements. Minmaxers are not and never were the majority of the player base.

I’ve also maintained that even in popular games, not everyone runs dungeons.

But I know people who pug dungeons all the time, who never wait for groups. My sample size is a lot bigger, because I have a big enough guild and talk to enough people.

Like I said, if you don’t believe me, test it.

Posted by: Phoenixlin.8624

Phoenixlin.8624

Here comes the “minority” caller. Even if so-called playerbase is %49, you are minority and your arguments/suggestions/feedbacks are invalid.

Beldin.5498

Here comes the “minority” caller. Even if so-called playerbase is %49, you are minority and your arguments/suggestions/feedbacks are invalid.

Really ? Nothing better ? Maybe call me a “Fanboi” or “Hater” .. or something like that ?

Phoenixlin.8624

I don’t need something better. If our precious mods hadn’t removed the related topic from the forum, I would paste your message as an example of your kind of players.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

They’re not that long or that bad, the cut scenes. You wanted a new dungeon, it’s a new dungeon. It’s longer and harder than the other dungeons.

Lol. Not that bad? Take a look at this. A 15 minute run and total time spent waiting for cutscenes and dialogues was 4minutes and 21 seconds. And thats not including the timegated puzzles. Thats almost a third of the dungeon spent sitting around listening to dialogues you have potentially heard 100 times before.

And the dungeon path they removed was one people hardly ever did. I know this because people in my guild needed that path for dungeon master and it took them forever to get it.

It was commonly done until they bugged last last boss. In which case they only needed to fix the spiders so they despawned on wipe or reduced the amount considerably. The rest of the path was fine. It was actually my favourite path and had one of the best bosses in the game (Vevina). It was a really well designed path, it had puzzle mechanics which werent overly timegated and boring even when replayed 100 times and the bosses and trash mobs were interesting. And even while the last boss was bugged so it was unforgiving, it was a good skill check for coordinated groups.

The low popularity of a path is not an excuse to remove content, especially when the low popularity was due to a recent bug that they could of very easily fixed. There was also no reason why they couldnt of just added Aetherpath as a 4th path to the dungeon. Its actually really depressing knowing that I can never go back and enjoy TAFU ever again.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

what’s wrong with an easier dungeon, does it always have to appeal to hardcore players?
the current dungeons already suck because of this mentality, we really don’t need even more dungeons with HM in mind.

MastaNeenja.1537

what’s wrong with an easier dungeon, does it always have to appeal to hardcore players?
the current dungeons already suck because of this mentality, we really don’t need even more dungeons with HM in mind.

Except that dungeons are supposed to be difficult to begin with.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dungeon

… and an explorable mode, a more difficult mode which requires more co-ordination to play through and is unlocked after completing story mode.

Phoenixlin.8624

All dungeons are easy enough anyways as long as you don’t define easy as “staying like a stone and pressing only button 1 to kill everything”.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Sorry bud, that is not fact. Why don’t you log in one of these days, create your own LFG for let’s say “AC p1 all welcome”, tell me it’s dead then. Your group will fill in under 1min guaranteed. Faster than any other MMO I’ve ever played.

Just because you look at LFG and see very little groups posted doesn’t mean that groups haven’t been started and filled constantly before and after you checked.

I’ve never had a problem filling a PUG group. Ever.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Sorry bud, that is not fact. Why don’t you log in one of these days, create your own LFG for let’s say “AC p1 all welcome”, tell me it’s dead then. Your group will fill in under 1min guaranteed. Faster than any other MMO I’ve ever played.

Just because you look at LFG and see very little groups posted doesn’t mean that groups haven’t been started and filled constantly before and after you checked.

I’ve never had a problem filling a PUG group. Ever.

Weeeeeell, it might take a little longer during certain hours of the day. 6am sunday mornings for me tend to be a little slow when it comes to finding groups, for example. Outside those select few time periods though, you’re very correct that the vast majority of laid back pug groups fill extremely quickly.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

… and an explorable mode, a more difficult mode which requires more co-ordination to play through and is unlocked after completing story mode.

read your own post, it clearly states explorable, never did it state “story mode”.
also, it also states co-ordination, we only have underground races……

MastaNeenja.1537

read your own post, it clearly states explorable, never did it state “story mode”.
also, it also states co-ordination, we only have underground races……

Oh, ah ha good one.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Death Dungeons.

Even these could be farmed. Although leveling your lost character back to 80 would be a pain.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I think a lot of things in GW2 were ‘supposed to be (x)’, but the reality is the game has evolved into something that might be a bit different from what the developers intended for and promised to us, yet here we stand. Dungeons have become semi casual and accessible now, and I don’t think that is a bad thing. There’s not much else going on in the PvE side of things after all. Imagine how this game’s population could have dwindled if dungeons were still a pain in the kitten.

We certainly don’t need another Arah or high level fractal-type experience. Both exist, and are sorely under utilized due to their demanding nature, and attitudes within the dungeon community. We’d be better off with another normal level 80 dungeon. Somewhere between HotW and CoE in terms of difficulty (challenging, but something you could see yourself repeating a couple times a week for a few months).

What would work best for everyone involved is a means of tuning the difficulty of existing content for higher rewards, not entirely new content that is unplayable for the vast majority.

MastaNeenja.1537

I think a lot of things in GW2 were ‘supposed to be (x)’, but the reality is the game has evolved into something that might be a bit different from what the developers intended for and promised to us, yet here we stand. Dungeons have become semi casual and accessible now, and I don’t think that is a bad thing. There’s not much else going on in the PvE side of things after all. Imagine how this game’s population could have dwindled if dungeons were still a pain in the kitten.

We certainly don’t need another Arah or high level fractal-type experience. Both exist, and are sorely under utilized due to their demanding nature, and attitudes within the dungeon community. We’d be better off with another normal level 80 dungeon. Somewhere between HotW and CoE in terms of difficulty (challenging, but something you could see yourself repeating a couple times a week for a few months).

What would work best for everyone involved is a means of tuning the difficulty of existing content for higher rewards, not entirely new content that is unplayable for the vast majority.

I agree that dungeons aren’t as hard as they were say at launch because plenty of veteran players are around to help new comers, but I disagree that Fractals and Arah aren’t being ran enough and this is all the challenging content dungeon runners need. Fractals would be ran more however most player’s banks are full of rings that we don’t want to get rid of just yet. Better rewards for time spent is what I am suggesting for Fractals. Also let’s not forget we still haven’t got our Fractal Leader board.

Dungeons are supposed to be hard, hence the request for more challenging dungeons. Arah isn’t even all that difficult either if you have a team of experienced players. I am not even suggesting the players are running meta. Dungeons were never intended to be a walk in the park though some are much easier to run than others. Many I can do now in my sleep but I struggled with at launch, I think that’s the case for many dungeon runners at this point. We want something new for us.

They are giving plenty of updates to the LS open world PVE crowd and we have the same 8 dungeons we had since launch, that we continue to run. I don’t think it’s asking too much for a few brand new more difficult dungeons. Dungeons is one of the few things that haven’t changed for the most part they are pretty straightforward more difficult content for coordinated groups.

Not all content should be created in some cookie cutter way to suit every kind of player. For example LS is not something I particularly care much about, nor is SPVP. But I don’t complain when these game features get updated. I also understand that dungeons are not for everyone but the non dungeon running crowd has had plenty to do as of late and I’m just sitting here playing the mode of the game that I enjoy the most that hasn’t had a major addition to it since Fractals which came out a few months after launch.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’ve always maintained that there are far more anything goes players than people looking for specific requirements. Minmaxers are not and never were the majority of the player base.

I’ve also maintained that even in popular games, not everyone runs dungeons.

But I know people who pug dungeons all the time, who never wait for groups. My sample size is a lot bigger, because I have a big enough guild and talk to enough people.

Like I said, if you don’t believe me, test it.

I didn’t challenge the assertions that you get into groups quickly on the rare instances you try to do so. I did challenge that you can conclude there are tons of people using LFG when all you’ve got is a small sample size. That said, I don’t think the LFG is dead, nor do I think that there are scads of players just waiting for an anything goes group to post. As is often the case, reality is probably somewhere between the extremes on the continuum.

Posted by: ThanatosAngel.8024

ThanatosAngel.8024

It would be great if we could get a Wizard’s Tower dungeon in Kessex Hills. I would have expected it to come already by now within the last two years.