All dungeons should receive fractal treatment

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

First of course, dungeons will need to be re-polished and some of the harder encounters brought more inline.

Then have fractal like difficulty settings.

Posted by: Vermillion Hawk.9037

Vermillion Hawk.9037

I wouldn’t mind a hard mode, and I have no doubts that there will likely be one, seeing as it was quite prominent and popular in Guild Wars 1 after they added it.

Prepare for gross amounts of misinterpretation from people who only look at the title though.

Grand Master of The Knights Hospitaller [STJ]
Isle of Janthir – Sylvari Mesmer – Alexandre Le Grande

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Please God, no. FotM is bad enough in its player segregation, the last thing we need is for the rest of the dungeons to be like it.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

I wouldn’t mind a hard mode, and I have no doubts that there will likely be one, seeing as it was quite prominent and popular in Guild Wars 1 after they added it.

I’m willing to admit fractal treatment for all dungeons, there is a danger of spreading out the population to thin.

So the difficulty probably shouldn’t go up to 30 like FotM. I’m thinking more like 10. (or 11 for spinal tap jokes)

Posted by: ThatTaffer.7364

ThatTaffer.7364

Hi everyone, first time poster, 2 week old lurker, level 30 Thief (though I may go back to my ranger, since I can fix his hair now!)

This is probably not a bad idea – I can tell you the game often feels dead because, I assume, everyone is doing FotM or something. Spreading the difficulty/rewards to locations in other areas of the game would, I think, spread the population out a bit more, and incentivize lower level players to keep playing during the mid range levels. An active community, or the perception of such, is one of the things that keep MMO’s going.

At least, I know I love it. Seeing other player groups at the edge of my render distance combating MOBs, even just the sounds of fighting in the distance, really ‘make’ the game for me. When map chat blows up, it’s great. Reminds me of online gaming in the late 90’s, when people communicated, chatted, formed e-friendships. Anything to encourage population dispersal would encourage social interaction, which encourages play, which encourages sales, and thus drives in new content.
Everyone would win.

So… that was probably slightly off topic, but there you go.
EDIT (Dispersed WoT)

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

I wouldnt normally post but the amount of threads popping up is silly….

The recent AMA provides a lot of information regarding how Ascended items were never meant to be a FotM exclusive. Expect revamped maps, dungeons and WvW which will bring new and ‘more interesting’ ways to gain Ascended equipment. This will counteract the current trend of deserted maps due to the FotM dungeon.

Summary: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By5N0A9US01BOUVpUkFXVm10Vm8/edit?pli=1

FYI I love the Fractals

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I really like dungeons.

But of the original 8, I already got the tokens gear I wanted from them. And now running them feels like it’s giving me money I don’t really want, but feel obliged to stack in my bank (and they only go to 250, and there’s 9 different types now).

Posted by: carabidus.6214

carabidus.6214

If all dungeons are leveled like FoM, I’m done. Period. The leveling system in FoM has done nothing but polarize players and marginalize the ones who are not level x^10. And without a proper group finder, many (especially newcomers to GW2) will find themselves deadlocked in levels 1-3 indefinitely.

All of the dungeons would benefit from a second look by the devs, but leveling them like FoM is definitely not the way to go.

Posted by: Vermillion Hawk.9037

Vermillion Hawk.9037

If all dungeons are leveled like FoM, I’m done. Period. The leveling system in FoM has done nothing but polarize players and marginalize the ones who are not level x^10. And without a proper group finder, many (especially newcomers to GW2) will find themselves deadlocked in levels 1-3 indefinitely.

All of the dungeons would benefit from a second look by the devs, but leveling them like FoM is definitely not the way to go.

Coincidentally the hard mode feature in Guild Wars 1 was highly praised.

Grand Master of The Knights Hospitaller [STJ]
Isle of Janthir – Sylvari Mesmer – Alexandre Le Grande

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Because it’s been done very differently than FotM fractal levels. And it was very easy to unlock (and the unlock was account-wide).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: ironzerg.3196

ironzerg.3196

They’ve already said they’re doing another pass over the original dungeons to improve the encounters, loot and make them more attractive to players.

They’ve also stated they’re looking at adjusting the Fractals of the Mists to account for the community being fractured by the difficulty levels. I would expect to see a future update that groups FotM according to tiers, instead of single levels.

Posted by: carabidus.6214

carabidus.6214

They want to roll out a “hard mode” for dungeons, then I say go for it. But optionally adjusting the difficulty level of a dungeon is a much different idea than what currently exists in FoM where every character is permanently and irrevocably segregated by a leveling system.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

There is an easy solution to difficulty.

They simply need to make fract difficulty slider into an “difficulty bar”.
Doing a dungeon of your current difficulty level fills that bar by 1/4 (just like now), but doing dungeons of lower difficulty fills it a bit less.
This way it doesn’t matter if a lvl 18 diff guy does a lvl 12 frac as he would still be filling that bar and progress through difficulties.