Alliances, Not Servers

Alliances, Not Servers

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LaReclusa.3527

LaReclusa.3527

Hello anyone who is reading,

I while ago a dev brought up this up as an idea, I believe, to get rid of servers and have guilds make alliances once again like in GW1. I believe this would benefit WvW in all tiers, PvP, PvE, and PVX guilds and players if it does happen.
Was this just an idea that was voiced by a dev and not happening or an idea in the making still?
I believe it was around the time of megaservers if that helps anyone’s memory.

(edited by LaReclusa.3527)

Alliances, Not Servers

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I don’t recall anything specifically on that. There was a lot of discussion of alliance systems in the Guild Halls CDI, however, and Colin J’s been sounding really excited about whatever the Guild Halls will do. We’ll have to wait for the relevant blog.

Alliances, Not Servers

Posted by: Missy.6803

Missy.6803

I think alliances would be pretty neat, but it would destroy server and any large scale coordination WvW. How would seasons go as well?

~ Scorned Siren ~Tarnished Coast ~
Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP] Co-Leader/WvW Commander
espguild.com

Alliances, Not Servers

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

This was talked about in the Guild Halls CDI, but that wasn’t the focus of the CDI really and was more of a side topic briefly.

A month or so later in the WvW forums there was discussion around the WvW population imbalances and there was some dev involvement in that thread. Alliances bubbled up to the top of his list for how he might try to help the population issue.

However, both discussions were months ago and the subject has either been discarded by the devs or is somewhere in development. My guess is if they do implement it, then it will be done with the expansion; so keep your eyes open for more WvW announcements over the next few months.

Alliances, Not Servers

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

The conversation OP is talking about happened before the Guild Halls CDI.

The idea was, we get rid of the current worlds. You form alliances with other guilds, and then new worlds are created by combining alliances together to form worlds which all have roughly the same population. If an alliance is large enough to form a world all by itself, or at least the majority of it, that world could be named after the alliance.

We would play in those worlds for several weeks in a pre-season using ELO rankings, which are then used to seed the season. When the season is completed we would reset and our alliances be assigned new worlds.

There are a few things that would need to be worked out with this …

• How do you handle people who are in multiple guilds?
  • How about people not in a guild at all?
  • How is the active member count of an alliance determined for population balance purposes?

I don’t think those are insurmountable problems though, and I think in general it’s a good idea.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes