Allow Trolling in game and forum

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

I think we should be allowed to troll in game and forum.
It makes things so much more interesting.

By trolling I mean non-malicious trolling.

For example, hmm…anyone knows any non-malicious trolling?

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Unless you have a second account to post on, you just eliminated all hope of you successfully trolling….maybe not.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

Trolling is one of the weakest form of humor. It is like sarcasm (which can be rather fun), but with the difference that the person you are talking to does not understand. The only lowest form of humor I can think of is telephonic pranks.

Why don’t you promote in-game puns and witticisms instead?

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

But I don’t like WoW…

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Trolling is one of the weakest form of humor. It is like sarcasm (which can be rather fun), but with the difference that the person you are talking to does not understand. The only lowest form of humor I can think of is telephonic pranks.

Well, that requires thought, intelligence, knowledge.

OP says he would rather troll so…….

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Why are we (including myself) bumping this thread? :O

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

EremiteAngel.9765

Don’t you guys find the game and forum so normal and dead without trolling?

Trolling brings a good laugh to…the troll…

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

This won’t end well….

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

“Trolling” is just an cute word for “Sadism” used by people who don’t know that taking pleasure from causing the suffering of your fellow human beings significantly pre-dates the internet.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Lambent.6375

And it’s already “allowed” in game, in the sense that you can’t get punished for it.

Like telling people (everyone, not just turrets)to come back at 30 or 40 at teq,

Telling people defense and turrets are full when it’s not

Trying to get people to stack in the wrong area

Pushing bloated creepers towards the stack

Basically any little thing they can do to make a teq run fail.

If we can report people for doing these things, please tell me.

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

“Trolling” is just an cute word for “Sadism” used by people who don’t know that taking pleasure from causing the suffering of your fellow human beings significantly pre-dates the internet.

“Suffering”? Really? If you suffer from anything someone says online well…. I can’t say.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Well as long as this thread stays open and unlocked… at least some form of it has been aloud xD

Lambent.6375

“Suffering”? Really? If you suffer from anything someone says online well…. I can’t say.

I think he is speaking of trolling in general, which goes beyond simply saying stuff to people online.

EremiteAngel.9765

guys please keep topic on track.

are there any NON-MALICIOUS trolling that is fun and acceptable?

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

There’s nothing impressive or clever about disrupting the game/forums with offensive comments and destructive behaviour. It’s really pathetic when people go out of their way to provoke and annoy others, then pat themselves on the back for how annoying they were — as if that were an accomplishment of some kind. Wow, acting like a jerk makes people think you are a jerk and they get mad at you… that’s just amazing!

I’m sorry you feel a false sense of power from acting stupid, but no one is impressed. And yes, I am aware that this thread itself is basically a sad troll attempt. Hope you got what you wanted out of it, though I’m sure it will be locked/deleted soon.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

i think trolls remind us not to take ourselves too seriously. The ones that do are often bothered the most by it.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

This video says otherwise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Btw. what’s up with these anti-troll people. In my eyes, trolling is the same as making a joke. It’s like these people never had fun in their lives. I’m on the internet right?

(edited by CoRtex.2157)

Posted by: assasin oates.3018

assasin oates.3018

“By trolling I mean non-malicious trolling.” why suck the fun out of it?

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

You guys got it all wrong! The most widely accepted definition of trollin gis:
“Anyone that does not agree with my point of view, especially of those that include references from peer reviews, industry standard journals, and heavily circulated print encyclopedias.
If you disagree with that, you’re prolly a troll! …and and eat baby seals!! O.o

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I can.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

EremiteAngel.9765

There’s nothing impressive or clever about disrupting the game/forums with offensive comments and destructive behaviour. It’s really pathetic when people go out of their way to provoke and annoy others, then pat themselves on the back for how annoying they were — as if that were an accomplishment of some kind. Wow, acting like a jerk makes people think you are a jerk and they get mad at you… that’s just amazing!

I’m sorry you feel a false sense of power from acting stupid, but no one is impressed. And yes, I am aware that this thread itself is basically a sad troll attempt. Hope you got what you wanted out of it, though I’m sure it will be locked/deleted soon.

I was asking for any non-malicious trolling ways. non-malicious includes not being offensive and destructive.

Posted by: shaman.1938

shaman.1938

non-malicious trolling always ends up becoming toxic .. PERIOD !!

sure it seems funny and amusing BUT sooner or later someone else takes it up maybe against the same person and then that person figures it out and in truth all you are being is bullies picking on the minority ..

IF you want to troll, troll your friends and see how long they remain that way and what happens.

We already have people going to Claw of Jormage and calling out “scrubs” when people fighting go down when trying to kill the wall and the other one is the L2P one that is popping up more and more .. BOTH I consider rude and toxic and grant the person a quick trip to my ignored list .

Neither of these are constructive as they don’t HELP in anyway AND i am sure the person saying them THINKS they are funny but the person on the other end probably doesn’t.

it is grade school behavior and I believe the game is MUCH better with a friendlier and more helpful community.

also the forums aren’t dead JUST not spammed with messages and MAYBE this is because unlike the other games people are playing rather than “trolling” the forums?

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I was asking for any non-malicious trolling ways. non-malicious includes not being offensive and destructive.

Then I have no idea what you are talking about, and it seems no one so far has been able to provide an example of it. Trolling, by definition, is malicious, offensive, and destructive. It serves to cause others annoyance and grief, for the purposes of someone else’s amusement. At best, it derails otherwise productive conversations, turning them into embittered arguments — and at worst, causes serious emotional harm, even to criminal degrees.

Maybe what you are talking about is just joking around, acting silly, or pulling a harmless prank on someone you know will be able to appreciate and understand your sense of humour. But “trolling” does not just refer to a good-natured practical joke. It is pretty much always done at someone else’s expense, where one side of the exchange is legitimately angered, hurt, or defamed in some way, while the other side derives enjoyment from the victimization of others. A troll is only considered “successful” once they have actively deceived or frustrated some unknowing participant. And no, the person who is doing the offending doesn’t get to decide whether of not their words/actions are “offensive” or not. You do not get to say “Lighten up, I’m just trolling” and get off the hook. That’s like punching someone in the face and saying “You don’t get to feel injured by that, it was just a fake troll punch.” And often, such admissions of trolling are not made with remorse or apologies, or explanations that it was all a joke and meant no offense. It’s usually just more insults hurled at the offended party.

Maybe you made an unfortunate word choice here, I don’t know. But if what you are talking about is truly harmless and understood to be so by everyone, then why do you even need to ask that it be “allowed” in the game or forums?

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

This is a fun topic. Personally I don’t think you can troll without being malicious from what I understand of trolling. The problem happens when people don’t know how to do anything else but troll which happens 99% of times. Since some people are not used to get laughs they don’t know what else to do and to keep the sense of “part of the group” they just troll over and over again bringing nothing new and thats when it turns from just trash talking/playing the dozens to harassment. Im sure every athlete or competitive player knows how to trash talk but they also understand when to stop. Children or immature people don’t and thats the big difference.

Personally I enjoy playing the dozens with friends because it keeps you quick and helps you think fast but there is an understand between everyone involved that that is what is going on and even then there are times where we get into fights because we are basically insulting each other lol! Its one of those things that you got to be mature and smart so it doesn’t turn into something ugly. Even then 25% of the time it turns ugly so yeah there you go. Personally I wouldn’t recommend it.

Disclaimer: kids don’t try this at home.

Necromancer Main

(edited by Zoso.8279)

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Ah yes the “I enjoy being a vicious little prat so I should be allowed to be a vicious little prat” argument.

No.

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Trolling is simply saying something with the purpose of getting a reaction out of people. There’s nothing else to it. It doesn’t have to be malicious.

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

The definition of the word answers your question.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trolling

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

TS don’t understand what trolling means. Other mmorpgs are “less friendly” because of game politics and GW2 has lesser game politics compare to other mmorpgs. With less game politic, people tend to troll less since it is quite pointless.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Just a flesh wound.3589

The reason why trolling isn’t allowed on the forums is because it’s not constructive. It’s destructive to the debate and the intent of threads. Trolling derails the threads so that people who want to discuss something get sidetracked into arguments with the troller.

It’s like trying to have a discussion with a bunch of people with one person standing there shooting spitwads.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Answer : No thanks.

Posted by: Kury.8210

Kury.8210

Always thought of trolling as pushing/fearing someone off a ledge, or in other games putting them under as much cc as I possibly can before running away so my skills can cool down for more fun.

Trolling on forums? Eh, most trolling is an attempt to ruin someone’s day. Only reason to do it is if someone’s being a prick. (Surprised. Thought that’d be filtered.)

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

Trolling on the forums is not allowed, the mods are keen on making their visitors sick to death with them.

Trolling in-game depends on how many players complain. A couple years ago a dev said that it’s OK for players to build useless siege, but last month a dev now says this is a bannable offense for anyone caught doing it.

Basically you cannot have fun the way you want in this game, you can only have the fun Anet want you to have.

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Trolling on the forums is not allowed, the mods are keen on making their visitors sick to death with them.

Trolling in-game depends on how many players complain. A couple years ago a dev said that it’s OK for players to build useless siege, but last month a dev now says this is a bannable offense for anyone caught doing it.

Basically you cannot have fun the way you want in this game, you can only have the fun Anet want you to have.

You’d be surprised how easy it is to determine between ignorance and malice, especially when you’re an impartial party looking from outside rather than from within.

Orochimaru, thank you for that lesson on trolling, fun, and the intents of Anet. You seem like a real trustworthy guy who knows what they’re talking about.

Attachments:

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

The same basically goes for Blizzard. And used to go for SOE/Verant/EA-Origin . . .

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

No. Trolling is inherently malicious – that’s the whole idea.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

There’s a few small ways to ‘troll’ people in-game that aren’t too offensive.

There’s been a couple jokers dropping the aviator’s memory box on anything lots of people need to use – The bank or TP, bandit chests in SW etc. Probably a good laugh for them, caused a bit of raging though. Mesmers sometimes do something similar with the portal.

Of course, even those minor inconveniences can drive some players up a wall.

Just a flesh wound.3589

There’s been a couple jokers dropping the aviator’s memory box on anything lots of people need to use – The bank or TP, bandit chests in SW etc. Probably a good laugh for them, caused a bit of raging though. Mesmers sometimes do something similar with the portal.

Yeah, I know. I’ve seen people drop items such as merchants on top of meta boss chests as well as on top of other services such as a trading post or bank. The ones on top of a trading post/bank are ignorable as there are other places to go and those services aren’t limited in time. Dropping one on top of a boss chest is another thing and one of the reasons why trolling is considered essentially malicious in nature.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

You know this is a troll thread right?

Posted by: particlepinata.9865

particlepinata.9865

Not agreed. All Trolls should be banished into oblivion :-p

(edited by particlepinata.9865)

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Trolling, from what I understand, is making a joke at somebody else’s expense. You laugh at their misfortune, which the troll has a fundamental part in creating.
E.g. Using a speed buff on a person on the last jump of a JP so they miscalculate and fall to their death.

“Schadenfreude” is similar, but there is no troll. The misfortune comes from the environment/without any direct cause.
E.g. Watching somebody fall on the last jump of a JP.

And then, there are still jokes. It’s quite possible to make a joke without putting somebody else down or making them feel bad. I also think it’s ok to make a joke where somebody is the punchline, providing you have a good relationship with the person. Making a joke at a random person’s expense is dangerous territory. If you’re trying to be entertaining, why would you risk upsetting another person?

Anyway, if you say something that could be construded as verbal abuse (joking or not) in game/on the forums, action could be taken against you. I’ve heard about people getting a suspension for “joking around in map chat with a friend”- because other players thought it was a personal attack, they reported it. Just be careful and keep it clean.

Posted by: ardasica.4531

ardasica.4531

A small group of us trolled the forums non-maliciously a while back. We basically started with rangers being OP (this was right before they updated the ranger) and went to how hard it was to fight bearbows. ANet even joined in it for a bit as I recall. There were a few that picked up on it being a troll because I mean at that point it was far too ridiculous to not be a troll.
Then we had the ones that thought we were serious and kept coming back. So it is possible and if done right, nothing bad happens.

SF
OTR

Posted by: ardasica.4531

ardasica.4531

Wow, it was further back than I realized. So about a year ago:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Ranger-Pets-Overpowered/first

SF
OTR

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

A small group of us trolled the forums non-maliciously a while back. We basically started with rangers being OP (this was right before they updated the ranger) and went to how hard it was to fight bearbows. ANet even joined in it for a bit as I recall. There were a few that picked up on it being a troll because I mean at that point it was far too ridiculous to not be a troll.
Then we had the ones that thought we were serious and kept coming back. So it is possible and if done right, nothing bad happens.

Except the previous time the similar thread happened, it ended up in extensive ranger nerfs. Because someone did take it seriously.

Call me old-fashion, but I would rather have fun with someone than make fun of him.

Basically, this.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

Yeah, I know. I’ve seen people drop items such as merchants on top of meta boss chests as well as on top of other services such as a trading post or bank. The ones on top of a trading post/bank are ignorable as there are other places to go and those services aren’t limited in time. Dropping one on top of a boss chest is another thing and one of the reasons why trolling is considered essentially malicious in nature.

just click on the edge of the chest press f =win? or do they drop several on a row so it is unclickable?

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

just click on the edge of the chest press f =win? or do they drop several on a row so it is unclickable?

You can’t drop multiple too close to each other it gives an error. Yes clicking on the Trade post npc or the chest will give you the prompt you want. I guess it does confuse some people.

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

Trolling cant be anything but malicious. Frankly, it’s just a small step short of being cyber-bullying.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Says a lot about Anet’s policy on trolling that this thread still exists.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

It’ll be gone by Monday. Weekends and Sundays especially, generally get these threads when there is almost no mod presence as people are at home and not working

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

well some of us believe that those who try to pass themselves off as gods deserve to be reminded that they aren’t. Call it trolling if you like.
important thing to note is that trolling can only exist if you take it seriously. If it bothers you that much (which seems to be the general consensus among this thread), ignore it.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Call me old-fashion, but I would rather have fun with someone than make fun of him.

I guess I’m old fashioned too.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.