Allow classes to wear any armor skin (except)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eidolonemesis.5640

Eidolonemesis.5640

Whenever I create a new character that can only equip a specific type of armor*:* Light, Medium or Heavy, I always find myself very limited when trying to pull off a particular style. The clothing and physique look I am going for is Seifer from FF8 (check out the attached screenshot), but you cannot completely pull that look off on a Warrior because Warriors do not have access to any Light Coats, and Light-style armor is what I need to complete the look. However, you can ‘Preview’ what Light-style armors look like on a Warrior, yet you cannot wear them. That makes no sense to me…

One can argue that, yes, Warriors should be adorned with a Heavy look to mirror their masculinity and strength that in turn mirrors what they can endure damage-wise as a class, technically, along with every other class where that same argument applies.

Even though that is a good argument to make, this is a video game we are talking about here where that kind of logic/technicality is not really necessary when it comes to the ‘look’ of a class for the sake of mirroring what a class can endure damage-wise.

That is what brings me to Armor Type vs. Armor Style:

Armor Type is just that, the type of armor it is that manages the damage your character can endure whether it be a lot, a decent amount, or a little.

Armor Style is just that, the look of any armor that would not apply the stats otherwise associated with an armor style IF all classes were allowed to wear any style of armor they want.

With the above comparison in mind, why not allow all classes to wear what style of armor they want where only the skin of their armor type is overwritten, not the armor type stats?

In other words (to make an example), if a Warrior is wearing Heavy Armor who is given the ability to wear any style of armor type, that does not mean any Warrior would be allowed to buy and wear Light or Medium Armor. Therefore, the skin of a Heavy Armor (not its stats) would be the only thing affected, that which makes it where a Light or Medium Armor class is still required to buy and unlock Light and Medium Armor skins.

Conclusively, this thread is not suggesting all classes be able to wear what Armor Type they want. This thread is only suggesting all classes be able to wear what Armor Style they want over their Armor Type (a change of skin, not a change of stats).

P.S. If you support the idea in this thread, let me know what you think.

Thank you in advance for looking into this, Anet.
Ryan

Attachments:

(edited by Eidolonemesis.5640)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Perhaps I am missing something but you can put a mail shirt on a warrior in GW2.

Eidolonemesis.5640

Perhaps I am missing something but you can put a mail shirt on a warrior in GW2.

What point are you trying to make in your feedback? Yes, Warriors can wear chainmail shirts (which is not cloth or leather), yet they cannot wear a cloth or leather style coat (just an example), or any Medium-style or Light-style Armor for that matter.

That is the whole point of the thread to broaden character customization fashion-wise. It is currently (and has been for a while) too restricted. Players should not have to be forced to play another class for a particular look they want just because their Armor Type cannot be overwritten by other Armor Styles.

As stated in my OP, this thread is not suggesting all classes be able to wear what Armor Type they want. This thread is only suggesting all classes be able to wear what Armor Style they want over their Armor Type (a change of skin, not a change of stats).

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m confused by your screenshot. Your post says that is the look you are going for, yet the armor looks like Heavy Armor. Maybe I’m just confused.

As to why armor weights can’t be mixed; the different weight pieces don’t all meet in the same place on the character. Thus, there would be either gaps, or overlaps.

Eidolonemesis.5640

I’m confused by your screenshot. Your post says that is the look you are going for, yet the armor looks like Heavy Armor. Maybe I’m just confused.

As to why armor weights can’t be mixed; the different weight pieces don’t all meet in the same place on the character. Thus, there would be either gaps, or overlaps.

I was very clear in my OP. How can my OP be so misunderstood? I specifically stated I was going for an FF8 Seifer look, but that to pull off the look completely I need access to Medium and/or Light Armor Skins I cannot wear, not that I needed or wanted Medium or Light Armor stats.

To put it in simpler terms, I am suggesting that Heavy Armor Skins (or whatever Armor Type your character buys and wears) should be overwritable with Medium and Light Armor Skins to give players a broader selection to look the way they want on any class (instead of rolling a Medium or Light Armor class just to pull off the look you want) where your Heavy, Medium or Light Armor Type/Stats are still intact)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The style/look I am going for is Seifer from FF8 (check out the attached screenshot),

It looks like you can achieve the style/look in the ‘attached screenshot’.

And, the Devs have posted why it’s technically not possible to mix/match armor weights.

Eidolonemesis.5640

The style/look I am going for is Seifer from FF8 (check out the attached screenshot),

And, the Devs have posted why it’s technically not possible to mix/match armor weights.

I am lead to believe you did not read my OP beyond the part you picked out. Physique-wise, yes, I pulled the look off in the face and the body, yet without the right clothing, you are wrong… I did not completely pull off the look due to said reasons in the OP.

Furthermore, the Devs CAN make it where the stats of Heavy Armor are intact even if a Heavy armor were overwritten with a Medium or Light Armor Skin.

Are you telling me it is possible for the Devs make it where a Medium or Light Armor Skin can be overwritten with another Medium or Light Armor Skin, but not the other way around like I am suggesting? Link source, please, because I do not believe that at all.

This thread is not about mixing/matching Armor Weights; this thread is about mixing/matching Armor Skins between Armor Weights (big difference) where the stats of Heavy, Medium and Light Armors are still intact.

EDIT I updated my OP to read, “The clothing and physique look I am going for is Seifer from FF8 (check out the attached screenshot),” since it was not obvious enough regarding what I am trying to get across in my suggestion.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

The seams don’t match up. For example, the heavy armor chest seam is at the waist. The medium armor chest seam is further down, since most are a coat that extends to the ankle. Trying to fit a skin that goes to the ankle onto a template that cuts off at the waist isn’t going to work, and vice versa.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I am lead to believe you did not read my OP beyond the part you picked out. Physique-wise, yes, I pulled the look off in the face and the body, yet without the right clothing, you are wrong… I did not completely pull off the look due to said reasons in the OP.

Furthermore, the Devs CAN make it where the stats of Heavy Armor are intact even if a Heavy armor were overwritten with a Medium or Light Armor Skin. So you are telling me it is possible for the Devs make it where a Medium or Light Armor Skin can be overwritten with another Medium or Light Armor Skin, but not the other way around like I am suggesting? Link source, please, because I do not believe that at all.

You are not reading what Inculptatus is saying.

He is saying that he feels that the look in your screenshot matches heavy armor more than it matches medium or light armor.

And he is NOT referring to the stats.

He is referring to people choosing light armor skin for shoulders and heavy armor skin for chest and the clipping issues that would result from that. The current armor sets are not designed to be interchanged between armor types. Therefore it would be way too much work to make them be able to do so.

And since new heavy, medium, and light armor has to work well with existing ones, there will never be heavy, medium, or light armor that would work while being mixed.

That’s what Inculpatus’ saying.

Eidolonemesis.5640

Not sure why when I submitted my latest comment there was a double post made… Sorry.

Eidolonemesis.5640

Seera.5916:
You are not reading what Inculptatus is saying.

He is saying that he feels that the look in your screenshot matches heavy armor more than it matches medium or light armor.

Eidolonemesis.5640:
I did read what Inculpatus is saying, and what you claim he said is not what he said whatsoever, but if it was what he was saying it was poorly worded/expressed.

Inculpatus cedo.9234:

Eidolonemesis.5640:
Where in that statement do you get the impression he said Heavy Armor looks better than the Medium and/or Light Armor I need to wear a long Coat instead? Seifer’s clothing is not a Heavy-armor look. Therefore, I did not pull off the look all the way…

Seera.5916:
And he is NOT referring to the stats.

When Inculpatus said, “And, the Devs have posted why it’s technically not possible to mix/match armor weights.”

The above quoted suggests he is talking about the stats/weights associated with Heavy, Medium and Light Armors, to which he missed the entire point of my OP, and so did you, apparently.

Seera.5916: He is referring to people choosing light armor skin for shoulders and heavy armor skin for chest and the clipping issues that would result from that. The current armor sets are not designed to be interchanged between armor types. Therefore it would be way too much work to make them be able to do so.

Eidolonemesis.5640:
There would be NO clipping issues, etc… The same code that is implemented in the game to change the skin of a Heavy Armor to another Heavy Armor skin would also apply to the suggestion I making where players can change the skin of a Heavy Armor into a Medium or Light Armor skin. In other words, soon as the overwrite is made, the whole structure of the Heavy Armor skin your character HAD would be erased and replaced with a Medium or Light Armor skin the way it would look when you ‘Preview’ a Medium or Light Armor on a Warrior who otherwise wears Heavy Armor.

The concept is not that hard to comprehend.

Furthermore, Anet says A LOT of things are not possible, for example, gliding being a thing in all of Tyria (except Storylines and PvP and GvG) because the HoT areas were made with different tools. At least, it was something along those lines (I paraphrased). Therefore, how is this suggestion I am making SO impossible? It smells like another excuse, to me, because it is possible.

Oh. and I am still waiting for somebody to link me a thread where Anet says what I am talking about is not possible…

Seera.5916:
And since new heavy, medium, and light armor has to work well with existing ones, there will never be heavy, medium, or light armor that would work while being mixed.

That’s what Inculpatus’ saying.

Eidolonemesis.5640:
Again. Cite a source that specifically says what I am talking about is not possible (with valid reasons within that thread included as well).

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They’ve said long ago that design decisions made when the game was being developed means that they are unable to have mix and match styles without a major revision of all the armor in game.

Source (page 18).
When we started looking at bringing more of the clothing back into armor with mix and match styles there are some fundamental incompatible things between weight classes. (part of how we set up every armor to allow many dye channels and styles per piece). There really is no way at this point over six years since we started development to make absolutely everything work together.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Eidolonemesis.5640

They’ve said long ago that design decisions made when the game was being developed means that they are unable to have mix and match styles without a major revision of all the armor in game.

Source (page 18).
When we started looking at bringing more of the clothing back into armor with mix and match styles there are some fundamental incompatible things between weight classes. (part of how we set up every armor to allow many dye channels and styles per piece). There really is no way at this point over six years since we started development to make absolutely everything work together.

Thank you for the source, but even still, I cannot help firmly believing that poor explanation is nothing more than an elaborate excuse (among others Anet makes) to not broaden armor skin wearability between all classes.

That concludes this thread, I suppose… Thank you, everyone, for your feedback.

Posted by: Necrotic.7820

Necrotic.7820

The whole post from Curtis Johnson:

We do understand and sincerely apologize that there are creative combinations of town clothes that will not exist anymore. Many have asked why remove town clothes as a concept. It boils down to we believe better armor skinning and the outfit system is something we can add more options to more often and will produce a better supported RP game for everyone with more variety in the future. In short, a healthier game.

To expand more on what I mean by better support, It helps if you think of town clothes as a 4th weight class of armor. Clothing was meant to offer visual options that break the class roles, however we were never completely happy with the way it was isolated from the rest of the game and still felt largely the same. Many pieces could have easily been mistaken for light or medium armor. In many ways it was more akin to building an alt character because town-clothes and armor were so separated. Additionally, every time we added something to town-clothes, it didn’t really help someone building their light, medium, or heavy look. And there was no way to add combat gear fairly without creating 3 versions on the back end (light, medium, and heavy). As a customization platform and sustainable expansion design it left a lot to be desired.

When we started looking at bringing more of the clothing back into armor with mix and match styles there are some fundamental incompatible things between weight classes. (part of how we set up every armor to allow many dye channels and styles per piece).. There really is no way at this point over six years since we started development to make absolutely everything work together. So we needed something new to continue to grow in the future.

Outfits give us a way to create highly stylized looks that aren’t constrained to armor slots or weight class. In addition to armor skins that are easier and cheaper to collect across characters and the account dye system we do believe the options across a players whole account are much more attractive now. You’ll see more outfits coming out this summer and additions to the game more often usable by your characters. We try not to allow too much ‘hoarder’ design where we just keep stacking more and more options on leaving lots of unsupported things hanging around. Yes, we do have to give up some of our current closet space and clothing to fit the new wardrobe in. Again, apologies for that.

As always we ask you to try out the new system of customization and see what’s available to you. I think many people will be surprised by how many pieces have become armor compatible. We hope the benefits to the outfit system and wardrobe in terms of future support and additions will be clear, and you can look forward to more new outfits coming very soon.

Imagine that…Town Clothes were a Fourth armor class…just like so many new players have asked for who aren’t aware that they ever existed.

The system that replaced Town Clothes was deemed better by them because it simplified what was originally a complex system that would have required time and effort to create new assets for…in other words, more money to pay people to design the things going into it. Okay, I get it…cutting costs.

“So we needed something new to continue to grow in the future.” = They needed something they could capitalize on that required minimal effort to maximize profit.

Where are these new cheaper and easier to collect armor skins? Without purchasing HoT you got a total of One new armor set.

I haven’t spent any real money in the gem store since they removed Town Clothes.

(edited by Necrotic.7820)

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Why couldn’t town clothes just be transformed into outfits instead of potions? We can’t really mix and match them now, anyway.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

She never alluded to any stats. Only that Armor weights can not be mixed.

When stated, in the OP, to refer to the screenshot, as an example of the look OP wished to achieve, it seemed that the look displayed in the screenshot was possible in-game.

If some other look is desired, one would think a different example would have been shown in the screenshot. As I stated in my first post, perhaps I was confused by the picture. I guess I still am; if that is not the look/style that is desired, I’m not sure what the sentence that refers one to said screenshot means to convey.

Regardless, as the Devs have stated, mixing armor weights (nothing to do with stats) is not possible (or, if one feels they are not being truthful, then not forthcoming, as far as has been stated at this time).

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

What point are you trying to make in your feedback? Yes, Warriors can wear chainmail shirts (which is not cloth or leather), yet they cannot wear a cloth or leather style coat (just an example), or any Medium-style or Light-style Armor for that matter.

That is the whole point of the thread to broaden character customization fashion-wise. It is currently (and has been for a while) too restricted. Players should not have to be forced to play another class for a particular look they want just because their Armor Type cannot be overwritten by other Armor Styles.

As stated in my OP, this thread is not suggesting all classes be able to wear what Armor Type they want. This thread is only suggesting all classes be able to wear what Armor Style they want over their Armor Type (a change of skin, not a change of stats).

You referenced the image as the look you are going for. It was the only visual reference you provided. The screen shot shows chain armor. Chain armor is already an option in GW2.

If the image provided, and referenced as the desired look, was not in fact what you desired, why did you include it, and why refer to it as your desired look?

Posting an image of what you are not trying to achieve while stating that it is what you are seeking seems like an odd choice and generally counterproductive.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

OP assumes everyone knows how Seifer looks. Only with that knowledge you can see the image shows an INCOMPLETE Seifer outfit, made with heavy armor pieces, but lacking the last fundamental item, wich you couldn’t find in the heavy skins available.

IMO, if you want to make a Seifer lookalike you should have made a mid armor character, probably a thief (sord+pistol, do you see?)

“So we needed something new to continue to grow in the future.” = They needed something they could capitalize on that required minimal effort to maximize profit.

Where are these new cheaper and easier to collect armor skins? Without purchasing HoT you got a total of One new armor set.

I think they weren’t refering to new armor skins, but plainly and shamelessly to outfits.

“Making separate pieces that look the same in every armor weight tier is too hard, so we will make full body, fixed skins instead. Instead of giving you pieces to mix and match, we hope you can be happy just looking the same as anyone else that use it. We will also stop selling separate pieces, so if you really want to try something new, you better buy these new outfits. They will not help you be more creative or unique, but they are more detailed, and cheap! Buy!”

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: traviswrdunbar.4780

traviswrdunbar.4780

Given the nature of the gunblade of FF8 being a single-handed weapon, it’s more akin to a pistol than a rifle, as well as being a sword. Pistol and sword together, you get either mesmer (light armor) or thief (medium armor).

I’d go with a thief for Seifer Almasy. He may have dreamed of being a knight, but he really fell short, I’d say. Nor was Seifer wearing that much armor. He was literally just wearing a long jacket over a sleeveless shirt.

If you really want to go warrior with it, that is of course your choice, but I think its wrong for the character you’re trying to capture.

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

I would LOVE for this to be implemented, and I don’t know the code behind the skins but It would improve the QOL of the ppl that like Fashion Wars.

(edited by Jhoul.6923)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

A lot of people have asked for the ability to mix and match across the weight tiers. Maybe, eventually, they’ll look at redoing the mesh system which they use for designing armor; however, I highly doubt it.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

I would LOVE for this to be implemented, and I don’t know the code behind the skins but It would improve the QOL of the ppl that like Fashion Wars.

It wont. It’s going to take a massive overhaul of quite a lot in the game. Lots of dev-hours, basically zero boosted income from it. That alone is going to be a prime motivator for it to never happen.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

When Inculpatus said, “And, the Devs have posted why it’s technically not possible to mix/match armor weights.”

The above quoted suggests he is talking about the stats/weights associated with Heavy, Medium and Light Armors, to which he missed the entire point of my OP, and so did you, apparently.

No. Incapultus was talking about the three distinct armor TYPES, which are designated by their “weight” (heavy, medium, light). Stats are not being discussed when someone is talking about the armor types, at least when they’re being discussed in terms of fashion.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Posted by: Carrion.8249

Carrion.8249

Conclusively, this thread is not suggesting all classes be able to wear what Armor Type they want. This thread is only suggesting all classes be able to wear what Armor Style they want over their Armor Type (a change of skin, not a change of stats).

P.S. If you support the idea in this thread, let me know what you think.

Thank you in advance for looking into this, Anet.
Ryan

Quick question. Do you PvP at all?

Posted by: asket.7926

asket.7926

Only a small thought on this topic that is probably of interest for many players:

Would it be easier doable for (one of/all) those armor pieces of which the visibility can be toggled (head, shoulders, gloves)?
That would probably already add a lot of interesting skin variations, while the main items would remain in accordance with the respective character class to allow the identification of profession types (light, medium, heavy) based on armor class.

I guess Anet could even make this type of transmutation across armor-weights quite profitable for them through the requirement of special transmutation stones that can be only purchased in gem store for quite some gems…

(edited by asket.7926)

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

Seifer imo would be more of a ranger, he uses a long sword but not a great-sword
Rangers wear coats
Squall would be more of a warrior, even though they are trained similar
Just name your pet after a GF
Seifers coat is greyish/tan, you can pull it off with rangers easily.

Ps: my ele is named Sorceress Rinoa and FF 8 is the best

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I get that pieces of different weights won’t fit together, but what about an option to wear a full armour set from a different weight class? Maybe a option on the hero panel to choose which weight the toon wears? Simpler to program and no clipping issues. Not full mix and match but still offers a lot more variety. And my ele would love a trench coat.

Posted by: Moderator

Locking this up to avoid further necroposting