Allow custom head-pieces with outfits?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ShadowMageAlpha.7580

ShadowMageAlpha.7580

I know there’s a reason as to why outfits aren’t actually armor-skins. (It has mostly to do with “seams” of each piece of armor-class not matching with other armor-classes, or so I’ve been told.)
However, I can’t imagine there’s TOO much of a difference between the seams around the head, right? (I could be completely wrong about this, and if I am, PLEASE tell me.)

It seems to me (just a casual, non-developer scrub) that it would be fairly “easy” to allow GW2 players to combine head skins with outfits.
As someone pointed out on reddit, this was even how it was in GW1. (But GW1 and GW2 may be different enough to make the systems completely dis-similar.)

Posted by: Meridian.4983

Meridian.4983

That was how it used to be, before the addition of the wardrobe. It was all mix and match. Then…. It wasn’t. Outfits were given their own tab, and we were given transmutation charges instead of stones. I’m sure you can still find the debate thread over that one.

[NA] | BP
Zombie | God | For the Pass!

Posted by: Kityn.8247

Kityn.8247

I would totally buy the new Mad Scientist outfit if my charr could wear her hat with it.

ShadowMageAlpha.7580

I would totally buy the new Mad Scientist outfit if my charr could wear her hat with it.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking.
My Engi’s hair is a bit…dorky looking, so she always wears a wide-brim hat. (I think we need more of those in-game, but that’s another issue.)
I think the outfit would look really good on her, but…the goggles just don’t fit her style.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

My engineer can’t wear outfits because she needs her glasses to see properly.

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

Can’t she use her utility goggles?

ShadowMageAlpha.7580

Do you know how hard it is to get those in prescription lens?!

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

Do you know how hard it is to get those in prescription lens?!

First World Tyria problems :/

Posted by: Sammie.2651

Sammie.2651

I completely agree, this should be a thing. I have outfits but in order to wear them I have to forfeit my bunny ear headpiece.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

One can not peer at people disapprovingly over goggles. You need elegant glasses for that.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

I’m pretty sure they have the ability to do this if they wanted to. Let’s just hope they hear us and decide to allow this. I really would love to use certain other headpieces with outfits. We have so many cute hats in the gem store and you can’t even combine them with the outfits.

Posted by: Crossflip.4390

Crossflip.4390

This would mean customisation, which Anet is clearly against

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

This would mean customisation, which Anet is clearly against

That isn’t the issue.

Outfits are inherently easier to design and implement: a single skin for each gender/race combination (and sometimes a bit less) that doesn’t have to be tested against every other skin, since they work as a single piece.

Opening them up to customizing even one slot (e.g. the headpiece) would change them from being simpler/easier to being close enough to regular armor pieces that they might as well just drop the outfit altogether. In other words, the very thing that makes outfits attractive (from a design point of view) would be lost.

I would love to be able to combine some of the festival headgear with certain outfits (especially the ones that don’t include much over/on the head or neck), but I can’t imagine why this would happen.

I, too, would also like to see more complete armor sets. At the same time, if I am glad to have a choice of 4-8 outfits instead of just one set, especially since I like very few of the pieces in any of the sets available today.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

ShadowMageAlpha.7580

Outfits are inherently easier to design and implement: a single skin for each gender/race combination (and sometimes a bit less) that doesn’t have to be tested against every other skin, since they work as a single piece.

Opening them up to customizing even one slot (e.g. the headpiece) would change them from being simpler/easier to being close enough to regular armor pieces that they might as well just drop the outfit altogether. In other words, the very thing that makes outfits attractive (from a design point of view) would be lost.

I just want to point out that your argument is half-right. (At least from what I understand.)

There’s already pretty much implementation of what I suggest in-game: Aquabreathers.
Apparently, when you enter underwater combat, your head-slot changes to the Aquabreather cosmetic. This shows they they already have the ability to change at least the heads-lot of an outfit, possibly by over-riding something. So outfits don’t really work as a single piece.

Granted, it IS underwater combat, something no one seems to care about (ANet or the playerbase). Additionally, I think all the rebreathers have the same skin, so even if ANet does check rebreathers with the outfits, they only have to check that one skin for everything.

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

Regardless of the coding/technical issues involved, allowing this as a possibility should have been a no-brainer, “goes without kittening saying” decision. That it wasn’t done is breathtaking.

ShadowMageAlpha.7580

Regardless of the coding/technical issues involved, allowing this as a possibility should have been a no-brainer, “goes without kittening saying” decision. That it wasn’t done is breathtaking.

It may simply not have been an idea that came up when they were doing outfits. I’d actually really like to hear from a dev on the subject, but I kinda doubt it’ll happen.

But at any rate, it doesn’t really do any good to take such a presumptuous and haughty attitude. I would greatly prefer that the comments remain positive, rather than… well…that.

Pure Heart.1456

It may simply not have been an idea that came up when they were doing outfits. I’d actually really like to hear from a dev on the subject, but I kinda doubt it’ll happen.

But at any rate, it doesn’t really do any good to take such a presumptuous and haughty attitude. I would greatly prefer that the comments remain positive, rather than… well…that.

I don’t understand how this idea could not have come up during discussion on outfit implementation. The game designer knows that people love customization, love mix and match, love colours, yet what is implemented is an outfit system that does not allow mix and match, has no interchangeable head-piece, and has limited colour channels. Weapons can not be dyed either, even in part.

Frankly, I’m miffed at the lack of real armour pieces, and miffed at the outfit limitations. I’m expressing my dissatisfaction in a non-offensive manner albeit in necessarily negative tones, and the developers should know about it if they want to increase gamer satisfaction.

ShadowMageAlpha.7580

Frankly, I’m miffed at the lack of real armour pieces, and miffed at the outfit limitations. I’m expressing my dissatisfaction in a non-offensive manner albeit in necessarily negative tones, and the developers should know about it if they want to increase gamer satisfaction.

Fair enough comment I suppose. I think there’s probably good reasons why they do and don’t do certain things, but they don’t do the best job of explaining their thought processes.
Of course, if they took the time to explain every little thing, there potentially be “too much” info, maybe even detracting from development in some way. (Of course, it could also potentially improve it via player feedback.)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t understand how this idea could not have come up during discussion on outfit implementation. The game designer knows that people love customization, love mix and match, love colours, yet what is implemented is an outfit system that does not allow mix and match, has no interchangeable head-piece, and has limited colour channels. Weapons can not be dyed either, even in part.

Well before GW2 was announced, the designers decided not to allow weapons to be dyed — apparently, it saved them a huge amount of coding and made it easier to modify existing skins. In essence, they are partly able to release new BL skins often because of this.

Similarly, the entire point of outfits is that they are not very customizable. Again, that’s a design decision that allows them to release a greater number of skins.

Some players feel that there is sufficient customization in being able to change outfits, while many feel as you do that mixing and matching (and dyeing) are ‘better’ options.

In the end, it’s one of those cost:benefit analyses that won’t make everyone happy.

• More options = fewer pieces, since each piece needs to be designed with that in mind.
  • Fewer options = more pieces, since e.g. outfits can stand on their own.

I’m not suggesting that you have to agree that ANet mad a ‘good’ choice. I merely ask that you see the decision from their point of view, specifically that they had a good reason for non-dyeable weapons and have a good reason for releasing outfits through the gem shop.

I’m also not altogether sure how ANet can tell what the “best” mix of options would be for the community. There are clearly people passionate about more mix|match, while plenty like having more overall skins to choose from, with more frequent updates. For those who hate outfits, there is probably no good mix.

Posted by: Ultimaistanza.4793

Ultimaistanza.4793

I feel like they’ll eventually do this actually. I mean, there’s already the option to hide your outfit’s head piece, so it doesn’t seem like a huge inconvenience to design it so it displays your armor piece instead. Also, GW1 had a system similar to this where your outfit was composed of a head slot (for just the head piece) and a body slot (for all the other parts). With this, you were able to display one or both slots, while displaying your normal armor skin(s) for whichever slot you chose to hide.

In any case, I would actually get the Crystal Nomad outfit and Arcane outfit if I could use the head without the body.

ShadowMageAlpha.7580

In any case, I would actually get the Crystal Nomad outfit and Arcane outfit if I could use the head without the body.

There are MANY outfits I’d get if I could only switch out the hat-slot. I’d probably blow about $50 on cosmetics if they changed it to this.

Pure Heart.1456

Well before GW2 was announced, the designers decided not to allow weapons to be dyed — apparently, it saved them a huge amount of coding and made it easier to modify existing skins. In essence, they are partly able to release new BL skins often because of this.

Similarly, the entire point of outfits is that they are not very customizable. Again, that’s a design decision that allows them to release a greater number of skins.

Some players feel that there is sufficient customization in being able to change outfits, while many feel as you do that mixing and matching (and dyeing) are ‘better’ options.

In the end, it’s one of those cost:benefit analyses that won’t make everyone happy.

• More options = fewer pieces, since each piece needs to be designed with that in mind.

I’m not suggesting that you have to agree that ANet mad a ‘good’ choice. I merely ask that you see the decision from their point of view, specifically that they had a good reason for non-dyeable weapons and have a good reason for releasing outfits through the gem shop.

I’m also not altogether sure how ANet can tell what the “best” mix of options would be for the community. There are clearly people passionate about more mix|match, while plenty like having more overall skins to choose from, with more frequent updates. For those who hate outfits, there is probably no good mix.

How many times have they “modified existing skins”? Like never. That they release new BL weapons skins is fine, but if they’re just copying and pasting from previous models (which it certainly looks like they are) the results are uninspired, and reek of sameness. Dye channels on weapons ain’t that hard, I don’t buy the “convenience” line on this one.

I very much understand the need to be thrifty with all relevant resources, but if one chooses to design around aesthetics, that’s where your resources should go.

Posted by: Zoe.8310

Zoe.8310

ArenaNet, please look into wearing custom head skins with Outfits

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I continue to forever wish for this.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Tiefsee.3647

Tiefsee.3647

Maybe sell a “mode designer transmutation” that allows me to transmutate the headpiece of my outfits, that way we can getthe headpiece we want and A-Net gets a new top seller, win-win

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

My Revenant is forever sad that she can’t wear her eye covers with any of my outfits
Minus the crystal arbiter, but that still wouldn’t be the same.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Doggie.3184

My Revenant is forever sad that she can’t wear her eye covers with any of my outfits
Minus the crystal arbiter, but that still wouldn’t be the same.

My Daredevil can’t wear his Devil Horns with Bandit Sniper outfit. Causes me a deep inner sadness.

Zoe.8310

Other things like the hats, glasses, and ears…. oh how I wish I could pair those with outfits

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

My Necro can’t wear her Demon Masque with an outfit. Her face is….. nekid.

/shudders

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Doggie.3184

/shudders

I absolutely love the skull facepaint mask on my Sylvari Necro. Being unable to use it with Outfits is why I don’t wear them on him. Wish I could just tattoo it to his face. XD

…or just make life easy and gimme my custom head-piece with outfits.

Zoe.8310

/shudders

I absolutely love the skull facepaint mask on my Sylvari Necro. Being unable to use it with Outfits is why I don’t wear them on him. Wish I could just tattoo it to his face. XD

…or just make life easy and gimme my custom head-piece with outfits.

Just think of how many more Hats and Outfits they would sell in the Black Lion store if they fixed this issue

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

/shudders

Heh, same problem for mine. I view the demon masque as part of her face! in fact one of the reasons I picked the face I did is because it looked good with it.

Maybe sell a “mode designer transmutation” that allows me to transmutate the headpiece of my outfits, that way we can getthe headpiece we want and A-Net gets a new top seller, win-win

Oh god no. Adding a new cash shop item for something like that which should already fall under the existing transmutation charges is really pushing it, especially if it exits to be used on another cash shop bought item.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

Zoe.8310

Given that you can already Hide the head portion of an outfit tells me that showing the head skin of something else should be relatively easy

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

This AND hiding outfit shoulder parts would make outfits AWESOME.

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

That too, since giant pauldrons are an instant no go for me but I would guess that would be harder to do

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

Zoe.8310

That too, since giant pauldrons are and instant no go for me but I would guess that would be harder to do

I agree – that seems much harder to do, and would break the convention of the outfit in the first place.

However, you can already hide the headpiece… so just let me see my armor headpiece

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

While we’re at this, can we please have dyes bound to the outfit like it works with actual armor instead of to the menu?

The ability to swap looks on the go is made rather pointless if I have to stop and redo my dye scheme every time. It’s made even worse when the people making the outfits seem to have no standard with how their materials work.

I have to use the darkest dyes available to make the Sniper outfit not look like a blown out neon mess. The same dyes make other outfits look so dark, details become hard to make out.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Zoe.8310

While we’re at this, can we please have dyes bound to the outfit like it works with actual armor instead of to the menu?

The ability to swap looks on the go is made rather pointless if I have to stop and redo my dye scheme every time. It’s made even worse when the people making the outfits seem to have no standard with how their materials work.

I have to use the darkest dyes available to make the Sniper outfit not look like a blown out neon mess. The same dyes make other outfits look so dark, details become hard to make out.

Oh, that would be nice to have them bound to outfit, hadn’t even thought of that

Zoe.8310

With that Lunatic Outfit on sale, man I wish I could steal that head skin for other uses

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Given that you can already Hide the head portion of an outfit tells me that showing the head skin of something else should be relatively easy

It’s sweet that you think that changing the mechanics of outfits would be “easy”.

Again, the entire point of outfits is that they are a cheap way to produce a new look. Anything that increases that cost by more than 5% defeats their chief advantage.

I’m not saying it can’t be done, just that it seems very unlikely to change in the near future. If ANet is going to spend on art resources, it seems more likely they’d dedicate that to legendary weapons and even new weapon|armor skins for LS3.

Zoe.8310

It’s sweet that you think that changing the mechanics of outfits would be “easy”.

Again, the entire point of outfits is that they are a cheap way to produce a new look. Anything that increases that cost by more than 5% defeats their chief advantage.

I’m not saying it can’t be done, just that it seems very unlikely to change in the near future. If ANet is going to spend on art resources, it seems more likely they’d dedicate that to legendary weapons and even new weapon|armor skins for LS3.

By “easy” of course I mean relative to the skills of the devs. As a game dev myself, I made that choice of words. It should be a task that wouldn’t take much change because they already have the head portion separated, and we know this because you can toggle it on and off already. Now, the rest of the outfit is another story, which is why turning off gloves or shoulders would be very difficult, probably impossible.

But, as stated before, head portion is already a completely separate mesh, and other custom head pieces are separate mesh. So, overall, not a monumental task to add this. It wouldn’t take any artists, just a UI dev, maybe one gameplay dev.