Allow us to download gw2.dat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: NickChabby.8907

NickChabby.8907

Everything is in the title.

We shouldn’t have to download a 20 gb file everytime something goes wrong with our computer, forcing us to start clean. My internet connection won’t take that and I can’t imagine new players joining. During beta, the file was just 12 gb. It’s now above 20.

So, my suggestions:

1- Allow us to download an up-to-date gw2.dat file in two .rar parts or something

2- Update your gw2 installer or something

This is just ridiculous, the game keeps getting bigger with every update. It will eventually become a nightmare for new players.

Thank you.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I back up my gw2.dat file for exactly this reason. Maybe you should too if you constantly have trouble getting it patched.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

You could always just back up the .dat file on your harddrive. Just copy and paste it somewhere.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Everything is in the title.

We shouldn’t have to download a 20 gb file everytime something goes wrong with our computer, forcing us to start clean. My internet connection won’t take that and I can’t imagine new players joining. During beta, the file was just 12 gb. It’s now above 20.

So, my suggestions:

1- Allow us to download an up-to-date gw2.dat file in two .rar parts or something

2- Update your gw2 installer or something

This is just ridiculous, the game keeps getting bigger with every update. It will eventually become a nightmare for new players.

Thank you.

That 20gb file IS the entirety of the guild wars 2 game file. That’s what you’re downloading every time.

Behellagh.1468

Well that and gw2.exe.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

If your system is that unstable, make a backup of the .dat and .exe, once per week or so.

I for one prefer the current incremental updates and don’t want to download a 20Gb file split in two big files in some archaic, proprietary compression scheme.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

What is going on with your computer?

Also small bit of praise here: 20 GB is pretty small when it comes to MMOs these days. It’s not like GW2 is lacking in sound and textures, it’s just much better managed.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Eleia.3291

Eleia.3291

So let me get this straight. Your solution to having to download the gw2.dat is downloading the gw2.dat?

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

That’s brilliant? Why didn’t Arenanet think of that?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

So let me get this straight. Your solution to having to download the gw2.dat is downloading the gw2.dat?

Nobel Prize level logic right there….Kudos!

(You are aware that it’s a file….on your computer….that you can COPY anytime you like….for free…without downloading it again….just saying).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Downloading OP plz nerf kthnxbye

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The file was smaller during the beta because only part of the game was available. Most of the zones were inaccessible and therefore not included in the download.

Also I don’t understand how downloading 2 files is any better than downloading 1. I assume you know this already since you’ve apparently done it a lot but you can stop and start the download any time you like and it will resume from where you left off. The percentage complete will go back to 0 but the number of files and the size of the download will be lower, reflecting how much you’ve already got. Splitting it into two separate downloads wouldn’t make it any smaller so it seems like it’d just be extra hassle.

Also as other people have said you can make a backup of the .dat either on your computer or an external drive or anywhere you want that’s got enough space. Then you just need to copy it across instead of downloading it again.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Behellagh.1468

I think the point being is gw2.exe doesn’t download as fast on high speed broadband as say torrenting the latest Transformers movie so the OP is looking for an FTP source of the dat file, thinking that it’ll be faster instead of realizing that it’ll be just as fast because that’s the share of the total bandwidth NCSOFT/ANet is paying for, devoted to patching.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Keep a copy of it somewhere.

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

I was thinking the same thing – short-circuited me for half a day trying to think that through.

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

I think the point being is gw2.exe doesn’t download as fast on high speed broadband as say torrenting the latest Transformers movie so the OP is looking for an FTP source of the dat file, thinking that it’ll be faster instead of realizing that it’ll be just as fast because that’s the share of the total bandwidth NCSOFT/ANet is paying for, devoted to patching.

has taken me between 1.75 and 2 hours, IIRC, when I’ve had to do it… and that’s over wifi with its inefficiency. 25 megabits is a pretty respectable throttle (assuming it’s anet who throttles and not my wifi). Haven’t tried wired before.

And if so – changing the protocol to ftp’s not going to change whether they throttle the download or not – still have bandwidth=money to deal with. Heck, I haven’t run wireshark to see – it might be ftp for all i know, given its ability to resume in progress if interrupted.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

has taken me between 1.75 and 2 hours, IIRC, when I’ve had to do it… and that’s over wifi with its inefficiency. 25 megabits is a pretty respectable throttle (assuming it’s anet who throttles and not my wifi). Haven’t tried wired before.

And if so – changing the protocol to ftp’s not going to change whether they throttle the download or not – still have bandwidth=money to deal with. Heck, I haven’t run wireshark to see – it might be ftp for all i know, given its ability to resume in progress if interrupted.

If it’s 802.11g then you are probably hitting the maximum speed the wireless can give you.

HTTP is less messy to to work with if they are going to use a standard protocol(and it is using port 80). Standard FTP requires two ports. It also depends on how granular the resume function happens to be. If it is at the file level then it is very easy regardless of protocol. Rsync would be even nicer since that lets you download just the part of a file that has changed.