Alternate way to level alts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dware.4259

Dware.4259

leveling my first 80 (shelved Ranger) was fun, now not so much, there just isnt enough people around at oddball hours to do events and the same areas/hearts is extremley boring to me, been there, done that sort of thing.

I think we def need a alternate way of leveling alts up, places to grind mobs out instead of running around the world doing stuff we already did.

Posted by: SimianChaos.3219

SimianChaos.3219

Go do different areas. And if you did all of them on one character, well shame on you. Go exploring, unless you already did that too. Craft things! Or did you do all that as well?

If you’ve already done everything there is to do and don’t want to do it again on a different character (which will play differently, unless it’s the same profession and you’re leveling it in the same way) then my only advice for you is stop devouring content like it’s going to go away. Slow down, smell the roses, read the random things that are scattered about, and take your time. Otherwise this same issue you’re having will occur no matter what video game you play.

Posted by: Bluestone.7106

Bluestone.7106

I have 100% world completion on 2 characters and am now working on a third. Playing the different classes makes me approach the hearts and events with different tactics and it makes it feel new for me. Plus each time I seem to get faster at it.

Do you WvW? you could try leveling in WvW.

My homeworld is Blackgate.
I am a GW2 player in New Zealand.
Check me out on the GW2 wiki.

Posted by: Ianervan.3415

Ianervan.3415

He asked for alternative, possibly faster way of leveling. Leveling in WvW is at the very least 5x slower than in PvE.

Unemployed people should not receive any social benefits if they are already working in an MMO.

Posted by: jamescowhen.1562

jamescowhen.1562

Just craft your way up, with 15g you can probably craft 2 professions to 400 give ~40 levels

Posted by: Ravnodaus.5130

Ravnodaus.5130

2 crafts wont give you 40 levels. Will it? That seems much… meh, whatever.

Try leveling by only gathering nodes. >.>
Or… By WvW, or try leveling in a different area… or by exploring or… many options, you can even go a full burst/mobility spec and use food/xp booster + killstreak booster and grind mobs for xp… it’s really pretty effctive for a while.

Why grind dungeons? Only relevant content…
Why? Gives needed gear…
Why do you need this gear? To do dungeons… duh.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Level up to 35 using story and world completion.

Once 35, level using explorable dungeons and WvW. This will allow you to level (80% of a level per dungeon run approx), gain money, and earn badges. If you get bored, you can always explore or use the money earned to craft (10 levels per expertise from 1-400)

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: ostracize.8316

ostracize.8316

Level up by ONLY resurrecting NPCs who get killed by wolves.

Posted by: Assassinin.4963

Assassinin.4963

Since you are just enquiring about alt way of leveling up and not the efficiency of such alt method, I have a suggestion.

It is known that sometimes, you get a dynamic event completion reward for doing NOTHING. Yes, I do get that from time to time. So this is verified.

Park your char at some high occurrence dynamic event region and let such dynamic event completion level up your char. How’s that for alt?

Posted by: Bluestone.7106

Bluestone.7106

He asked for alternative, possibly faster way of leveling. Leveling in WvW is at the very least 5x slower than in PvE.

His OP said nothing about being faster, only alternative TYVM.

My homeworld is Blackgate.
I am a GW2 player in New Zealand.
Check me out on the GW2 wiki.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

anyway, the alt problem is as old as MMORPG. As people stay longer at maximum level than in the leveling process, games usually do not have many alternate areas for lower levels. In all fairness, GW2 allready offers a lot more variety than many other games where you repeat exactly the same stuff over and over. WvW was allready brought up as an alternative as long as you do not worry about the actual leveling speed, maybe we get some minigames in the future like Polymock – in a game that gives xp for farming ressource nodes, it doesn´t seem strange to get xp for such activities.

[edit by mod] removed quoted troll post [/edit]

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: roqoco.4053

roqoco.4053

His OP said nothing about being faster, only alternative TYVM.

Yeah – Levelling up slower is an advantage, because you get to play the game enjoyably for longer. It astonishes me that all these posters with nothing to do haven’t appreciated that. You have to laugh when someone says they’ve levelled up their characters by crafting and now have nothing to do. errrm….. wonder why that is.

Ravnodaus.5130

and this is the reason why parents shouldn´t have their children unwatched at the computer.

Yeah, not really. It isn’t an outburst, or childish display per se, it is an act of blatant defiance. You may disagree with what I wrote, or why I wrote it. I’m totally cool with that actually. I really wouldn’t care if you were even more direct with your insult.

That is kind of my point, my post was deleted, yes wasn’t inherently wrong in any way, shape, or form. It was complementary to the writer of the post I quoted even. There was nothing lewd, nothing denigratory, or inappropriate in any way. Yet it was censored by unceremonious deletion?

I take the issue too serious, I know that. But in reality the issue of free speech is very dear to me, I’ve served in the armed forces, lost friends in battle… risked my own, all for the sake of freedoms. And I watch them get kitten away by every day people, sliding further into a state of blind obedience.

So, yeah, I’m pretty prone to react strongly. I know it is their forum, and they quite frankly have every right to delete my post. But deleting a completely harmless post is overbearing, unnecessary, and quite frankly offensive to me. If it ends up being a deal breaker, so be it. I’ve sacrificed far more for less.

Edit: Oh, and to contribute, level up doing the same lowbie zone event with a fast repeat timer over and over again. It annoys the other low level people when a higher level is doing them, as they are entirely too powerful even after being “down scaled”.

Why? Gives needed gear…

(edited by Ravnodaus.5130)

Posted by: xLiveLucidx.5071

xLiveLucidx.5071

“Quote” button not working so here’s some good ole fashion Copy & paste for you.

Ravnodaus.5130

“2 crafts wont give you 40 levels. Will it? That seems much… meh, whatever.”

You do know the first person to reach level 80 in the live version of the game did it all by crafting right? It’s the fastest (but most expensive) way to level.

Ravnodaus.5130

“Quote” button not working so here’s some good ole fashion Copy & paste for you.

Ravnodaus.5130

“2 crafts wont give you 40 levels. Will it? That seems much… meh, whatever.”

You do know the first person to reach level 80 in the live version of the game did it all by crafting right? It’s the fastest (but most expensive) way to level.

Yes, I do know that. But I’m pretty sure they did it by leveling more than 2 crafts. I’m highly skeptical that 1 craft from 1-400 will give you 20 levels.

Why? Gives needed gear…

Posted by: Sahriah.3792

Sahriah.3792

It doesnt. 1 craft to 400 = 10 levels. 8 crafts to 400 = 80 lvls. Thats how he did it

Posted by: saurus.8290

saurus.8290

Just craft your way up, with 15g you can probably craft 2 professions to 400 give ~40 levels

rising crafting from 1-400 give 10 lvls

if you want to lvl to 80 you need to max all craftings

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

Yeah, crafting from 0 to 400 gives 10 levels.

And it doesn’t matter at what level you start, it will ALWAYS add 10 levels.

If you start at 5, you will be 15 when you hit 400.
If you start at 42, you will be 52 when you hit 400.
If you start at 70, you will be 80 when you hit 400.

This is because each crafting XP that you get, gets you a PERCENTAGE of the leveling XP.

If you receive 100 crafting XP you will get like 1% of the leveling XP that you need for your next level.

If you receive 100 crafting XP when you are level 70, that 1% will be much more compared to the 1% when you are level 5, because it will be 1% of the XP that you need to level from 70 to 71 instead of 1% of the XP that you need to level from 5 to 6.

That’s why I would never level an alt from 0 to 80 with pure crafting. It would be easier to level it manually to 20. Leveling from 0 to 20 goes fast AND you avoid having to do all 8 crafts. you only need to do 6 so you can avoid the 2 most expensive crafts (apperently, cooking and jewelery).

Or you can craft all 8 to level 350, the levels 350 to 400 are by far the most expensive.

Bottom line: you save alot of money when you level to 20 manually.

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

Posted by: Dyno.9467

Dyno.9467

If your not enjoying leveling an alt, why are you doing it?
You cant be enjoying playing the game if you feel like that

“And now, to destroy you”

Asura – Desolation

Posted by: brickforlife.1364

brickforlife.1364

The problems is you can’t have alternate areas because once they get explored, it’s back to the same problem.

Play it differently, dps first time, conditions the next, tanky the next, support..etc. Usually spices it up for me. For all I care, I’m playing a tanky thief.

Join
[BEAR] www.gw2bear.com
[DATE] www.tyriadating.com

Posted by: Dware.4259

Dware.4259

Dyno leveling is incredibly boring to me in any MMO.

I play GW2 for WvW mainly and some PvP on the side.

I never understood the PvE solo types, i can play Skyrim for that kind of stuff.

I really just want to grind some mobs and be done with it

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

You can level a character to 80 by:

• Exploring the world without looking at the map, and only do events that you stumble upon. In other words; let the game guide your direction. Be sure to have a lot of inventory space before you start.
  • Only playing dynamic events and puzzles. Some dynamic events have very long chains, and some puzzles are very well hidden. See if you can find them all!
  • Only playing your personal story and dungeons, and then level up with crafting in between. You’ll need a lot of mats, though.
  • Grabbing a couple of friends/guildies and have them make alts as well, then only level those characters up together.
  • Only playing Worlds PvP, from level 2 to 80.
80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

(edited by Kasama.8941)

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

Ianervan.34158

Putting aside that he asked for an alternative (because he was bored), not the fastest method, is that sometimes WvW is pretty fast, especially if liek theOP you play at "oddball hours2 and happen to be on a server that is very strong in those OP hours, you get a ton of XP/Karma if your world is zerging the map, far more than trying to do PvE when zones are virtually empty.

Posted by: Rise.9702

Rise.9702

Lmfaoooo. I had to laugh at this I’m sorry because something similar happened to me. Friggin’ strict but anyway yeah, the best way I know is probably Crafting like others said, and do some DE’s. Start out on new starters area’s. I don’t think I can re-play this game on an alt even after doing a 100% and I can’t even do that because it gets a lil tiresome.

[edit by mod] removed quoted troll post [/edit]

You sir are a Scholar and Gentlekitten.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: zerospin.8604

zerospin.8604

Level up by building rams in WvW. Solid, hard work. You may even finish before you’re 80 yourself!

Posted by: Arforyon.1746

Arforyon.1746

Actually, leveling through world pvp can be a lot faster than pve. That’s how i am leveling my alt. Now it depends on what you are doing there. For example, capturing supply camps, towers and keeps will give way more experience in a shorter time frame.

[Maguuma]
Thoros Myr – Level 80 Guardian