Am I Leveling Right?

Am I Leveling Right?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Hi guys, started playing the game today, and I’ve reached level 14 on my Guardian so far. To level I usually fill the nearby hearts and do the objectives that pop up. I also follow the story-line, but recently I’ll be way below the suggested level for my story-line. Like I was level 13 for what was suggested as level 16 content. Sometimes I’m able to do it, but I can easily get overwhelmed and die a lot. What’s a ‘correct’ way to level for a beginner?

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Am I Leveling Right?

Posted by: Rise.9702

Rise.9702

Hi an welcome to the game.
Just about everything helps you level here.
Let’s see: Hearts, Dynamic events, Vista’s, exploring new places, don’t forget to mine ores or chop tree’s for some stuff and sell it. It’s a good way to make money here and there, craft, revive people, help others on personal storys. I’m like 10 levels above my Personal Story. xkittenep going other things and leveling over it.

I….Keep…going? Why is that censored lol.

You sir are a Scholar and Gentlekitten.

Am I Leveling Right?

Posted by: MrsAngelD.6971

MrsAngelD.6971

Hi mrauls,

Something to think about is that the hearts are just there to guide you to an area, make sure you talk to NPCs as well as these will trigger dynamic events. Where you can earn more xp. I think a lot of people miss that, and it’s easy to do so when you’re used to the old way of questing in MMORPG’s.

The best advice I can give you is to explore everywhere and talk to everyone, you might be surprised by what kind of events you find.

Also welcome to the game!

Am I Leveling Right?

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

My understanding is that leveling is supposed to be a result of doing dynamic events. If you stick around after dynamic events and follow the NPCs or talk to them, it will frequently open up other dynamic events, which can lead to other events…and so on. In the midst of doing these events, you will complete some hearts, which will give you even more experience.

That being said, there’s nothing wrong with doing the hearts to completion while looking for dynamic events. That’s what I do.

Am I Leveling Right?

Posted by: silencer.5028

silencer.5028

If done in sequence without leveling in between your personal story will very quickly out-level you.

Ultimately, you will need to gain 2-3 levels each time you complete a step in the storyline before you are level appropriate for the next step. Do heart quests and dynamic events around the area that the next step points to and are around your level. Heart quest xp/money rewards are not scaled, meaning its best to do them around your level range. Dynamic events scale their rewards, based on both how close to your level they are and what level you are. If you run out of those, move farther or to other zones of the same level range (which I had to do like once I think) and come back to the personal story when you are ready.

It is absolutely normal for it to outlevel though, you are not doing anything “wrong”

Am I Leveling Right?

Posted by: koll.6372

koll.6372

yes you’re playing just fine. There really is no “right” way to level. Also the story goes all the way up to level 80 and is quite long. What i did was do a few story quests then level up clearing the zone…do another story quest etc… until the story moved into another zone. Then i cleared the current zone 100% and then moved on.

Am I Leveling Right?

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

Maybe the filter doesn’t like Ike… or thought you were going to say Ikea.

Pretty much what Rise said.

What you may not know about yet is that there are rewards for completing maps (all Points of Interest and Way Points discovered, Hearts filled, Vistae viewed). These rewards start as almost insignificant for completing a city (it used to be experience, a Transmutation stone and 1 whole copper(woohoo!), but it was changed a couple of weeks ago), all the way up to experience, two exotics, 40 of a high level crafting material and 50 silver (was it 50? I forget) for the level 70+ areas. There is also an achievement for 100% World Completion, but you needn’t worry about it until you’re 80.

Your Personal Story will, fairly consistently, lead you to new areas that are a higher level. Sometimes, they will lead you to completely unnecessary places that are on the other side of the map to your actual destination (I did a Priory quest the other day where I had to go to the Priory. I went to the priory but there was no green marker… it was on the far side of the map. So I went to the marker and entered the instance… which started at the Priory entrance o.0 ). You should be aware that there are also rare occasions where the Story will send you to an area that is much higher level than is required for the quest, like being sent to a level 45-55 area for a level 35 quest, but these are rare and the destination is easy to get to without fighting.

Don’t neglect Crafting, either. Whenever possible you should be gathering crafting materials at every opportunity. The gathering itself provides you with xp, while crafting items provides xp and allows you to make your own gear to use.

So, what does that mean?

Use the Story as a guide. When your Story sends you to a new area, your first instinct may be to just make a beeline for the marker, but doing so will, very quickly, result in quests that are way above your level. Instead, you should be clearing each “region” on the way. Think less about progressing your Story and more about map completion – find the PoI, do the Hearts (make sure to check the Heart vendor when you’re done because some of them are the only source to buy certain things), view the Vista and, while it is not a part of map completion, gather the crafting nodes. While you are doing this, you will also stumble into Events, some of which are much larger than others. As well as getting money and loot from killing things you will also be rewarded with xp, money and Karma on completion (and, on larger Events sometimes a chest full of loot), but some events have a secondary function. When on a map you haven’t yet explored, Events where you are asked to guard someone will almost always lead you to new areas of the map, and they will fairly often start near one WP and end near another making it very easy for you to go back to where you started. You should be doing Events at every opportunity because you need the Karma, money and xp from them, but don’t neglect other things to do on the map.

Clearing the map on your way to the next Story quest will usually get you the xp to be at least the “correct” level for that quest. In some areas you will actually level beyond what is required (but don’t worry, you will be down-leveled when you start the quest). If you do this for every area the Story sends you to (except Lornar’s Pass, which is so huge you’ll be begging to get out of there long before you’re finished), you will always be at least the appropriate level for your Story.

You don’t need to be obssessively methodical about this because you can always go back to a map and finish it later. It is in your best interests, however, to do a map when you are at the appropriate level to do it because the rewards are designed for characters of that level.

Oh, one more reason to do map completion. You will need a total of 3 GOLD to unlock all of your Traits. Completing maps as you go will guarantee you have most of that money to buy those upgrades when the time comes, without you even thinking about it.

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

Am I Leveling Right?

Posted by: Blitz.2853

Blitz.2853

There is no right way to level, you just do what you feel is comfortable.

Every account lvl 80

Am I Leveling Right?

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Dynamic events are one the best ways to level, however, you have to go to one the zerg servers that are doing well in Wv3 if you want those. Not only is there more players to adventure with, you also get great perks to all exp gains via realm buffs if the server is dominating.

If you go to a low pop server or one like mine where everyone bailed; dynamic events will not even spawn. I ran around kessex hills for 3 hours last night and not one event spawned. None. All there was in that zone was bots.

On topic, best to hop zones. Do all the 1-15 zone hearts then move onto the 15-25s and clear those out, etc. It is not possible to progress doing single zones unless there is a large amount of players triggering events.

Am I Leveling Right?

Posted by: maina.5389

maina.5389

Hi guys, started playing the game today, and I’ve reached level 14 on my Guardian so far. To level I usually fill the nearby hearts and do the objectives that pop up. I also follow the story-line, but recently I’ll be way below the suggested level for my story-line. Like I was level 13 for what was suggested as level 16 content. Sometimes I’m able to do it, but I can easily get overwhelmed and die a lot. What’s a ‘correct’ way to level for a beginner?

Don’t be that guy that leveled via the forum.

Play the game.

Am I Leveling Right?

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

The level of the story-line quest is the level you should be if you’re going to solo the quests. If the next segment of the story is higher than you are, take a break from the story quest and do something else until you’re the right level.

As far as good ways to level, there’s posts above that talk about it. Here’s the list of what’ll level you up, roughly from best yield to worst.
World V World
Dynamic events
gathering/crafting
exploring
renown hearts (but doing the hearts will help with explore and finding dynamic events)

The story quests keep going one every couple levels all the way to 80. If you do them at the “right” level, you may get quest rewards that are useful to you. But you can wait and start them at 80 if you’d rather… it’s all up to you.

Am I Leveling Right?

Posted by: ShadowBlaze.2573

ShadowBlaze.2573

You can always go to other races’ starting area via Lion’s Arch using asura gates.

Am I Leveling Right?

Posted by: Echo.7634

Echo.7634

Agreed. There is no “right” way to level.

As you do the hearts I would suggest participating in the dynamic events (DE’s). The DE’s offer XP, coin, and karma as rewards. They also count toward the heart completions in most instances.

Map completion. The Vistas and points of intrest are worth XP. IF you 100% a map you get bonus materials, items and coin.

Gathering. You get more xp from gathering resource nodes than you do from mob kills. If you opt to craft you will have resources you need. If you opt to sell the materials then you will have plenty of coin.

Killing yellow mobs. Kill EVERYTHING as you go. The longer a mob lives in the world the more bonus XP its worth. Generally most people run past yellow mobs since they are non-agressive. They are also (not always) worth a TON of bonus xp. Sometimes 2 – 3 times a normal kill.

Crafting. IT is possible (but exceedingly spendy) to level by doing nothing but crafting.

Personal story. The quests for it are genaerlly worth a LOT of xp.

Dungeons. Do the story mode when you can. They will generally net you about a level or so.

Dungeons. Explorer modes*. Explorer modes are worth a lot of xp as well at tokens that you can use for gear. Its HARD to get groups for explorer modes “on level” for a couple reasons.
1. gear. It DOES make a difference. When leveling your probably in blue or green gear.
2. A lot of people do them at 80 and want to get it done fast. Your mileage may very.

WvW (World vs Wrold ) CAN be worth some pretty good XP. You get xp by completing the WvW objectives. Below level 30 you will not have access to all your skills and will be more hindrance than help. Gear also makes a BIG difference. A level 80 in full exotics will destroy you very abruptly.
If you do go the WvW its certainly a lot of fun. At 35 is a good launch point since you can at least clad yourself in head to toe Rare (yellow) gear. You also have access to most of your skills which will help significantly.

Genaerlly speaking. Run around, enjoy the game. Don’t focus on leveling. It will come.