Am I doing this right?

Am I doing this right?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ScurvyJack.6251

ScurvyJack.6251

So I bought Guild wars 2 maybe 2 years ago….and while the game play and visuals were amazing I just couldn’t get into it, I didn’t see the trinity (healer, tank, dps) and there wasn’t quests leading me everywhere, so I dropped it.

I picked it up again a few days ago and got to lvl 19 and I’m having a blast, I see there are story quests but they are staggered 10,20,30 etc. I’m just playing through zones gathering hearts and such and doing the story quests when I get the appropriate level, is this the correct way of doing things? If so that’s pretty awesome…once I dropped that preconceived notion that the game needs to lead me, the game suddenly opened up and become much more fun, it felt much more natural.

What lvl is the first dungeon/grouped-instance? How do these play out does everyone just tank/dps/geal themselves?

Thanks in advance!

Am I doing this right?

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

There is no “normal” quests with the ! over someone’s head. You find events (quests) as you move thru the world. They pop up and if you leave the area they go away. They are repeatable. Hearts are not repeatable in most of the world.
You get XP from pretty much everything – harvesting, raising a PC or NPC, exploring, doing hearts, doing events, etc. There is no right or wrong way to play. As long as you are having fun that’s all there is.

Am I doing this right?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

If you’re having fun (without hurting the fun of others), you’re doing it right.

I think the first dungeon Story instance is level 30. Might be 35. Each dungeon has a Story path (which tells an ongoing tale of Destiny’s Edge as they go up in level) and several Explorable paths. The Explorables are the story of what happens in that dungeon right after the Story path is done, and any character you have that has done a Story can open the Explorable section of that dungeon. Or a member of your party can open it so you can join without having done Story. They stair-step up in level, so each 5 levels you get access to the next Story/Explorable of that Story in turn. The lowest level dungeon is Ascalon Catacombs in northern Plains of Ashford (Charr starter zone).

The Story paths are generally on the easier side, though you’ll still want a group. Just make sure when you advertise in LFG, if you are pugging, that you will be watching cinematics and not speed running. That way you can experience each path fully.

As to roles, the dungeons were designed to be doable by any mix of professions. Everyone brings something useful to the run; heals are mostly each player’s individual responsibility. Some dungeons do need the party spread out, eg one where four people stand in fire cages fighting off mobs while the fifth opens the next gate. Tanking isn’t a thing until you get into raids, just dps/support (buffs)/cc.

Am I doing this right?

Posted by: Khyan.7039

Khyan.7039

You will only see trinity during raids or sometimes in fractals.

Am I doing this right?

Posted by: ScurvyJack.6251

ScurvyJack.6251

thanks for the answers everyone, should I buy the HoT Expansion? or wait until I’m max lvl?

Am I doing this right?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

thanks for the answers everyone, should I buy the HoT Expansion? or wait until I’m max lvl?

Check https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Is-Heart-of-Thorns-Worth-it/first#post6484358 for a discussion on that very topic

Keep in mind that for the rest of tonight, HoT is half price. As of tomorrow, it’s back to full and the next sale may not be for 3 months, by which time you will very likely be max level and have been so for some time.

Am I doing this right?

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

you’re playing wrong. what you need to do is farm lvl 80 asap (with tomes, the wvw farm map, etc) then farm ascended gear and then farm raids and t4 fractals and tarir multiloot (for gold with which you buy anything you need) until you are in full legendary gear. then you uninstall.

Am I doing this right?

Posted by: GWMO.4785

GWMO.4785

The main thing Anet (developers) separate GW2 from traditional rpgmmo style, is the openworld events that can scale up dynamically. Depending on the involved players at that given moment.

Thus that being said, doing events in openworld map is mainly what you are looking for when you are exploring/leveling. And doing map completion: hearts (quests), poi, vista, hp challenges become more of a side thing, as where other games are “mandatory” for leveling up.

When it comes to endgame content (dungeons etc). These do exists. However depending on how “hardcore” you want to go, there is no real roles in what which class is or should do. Every class can heal/support/damage/tank. Sure one class is better at doing something than a other class. But in the end, it kinda comes down to what class you like most.