Am I the only one that is bad at this game ??

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Lasus.3740

Lasus.3740

I have been playing MMOs since they started. I played UO, EQ, Anarchy online, EVE, etc.
However I really suck at this game.

I can usually do the quests that you get from the hearts, but the personal story quests I usually fail. I have tried most of the different classes and get the same results. The guilds that I join are silent and requests for help got unanswered.

I see posts in this forum where people complain about how easy the game is.

Maybe its time I retired from Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

How many hours are you at? At 600 I still die on occasion, and this new living story season is much harder than the personal story.

Posted by: Lasus.3740

Lasus.3740

How many hours are you at? At 600 I still die on occasion, and this new living story season is much harder than the personal story.

I have been playing 3 to 4 hours a day since about the first of march. I just retired so I have the time. Maybe I am just too old for this game.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Maybe you got too used to other MMOs. If you don’t have a lot of experience, it’s rather simple because you don’t think “in this other game it used to work like this, so it’s probably the case in this one”.

I would tell you to play a necro and use minions, but even as the class I love the most, you’re going to regret how useless you are in dungeon. Either play a warrior (which I find really boring) or a thief.
Or a guardian, but I didn’t really enjoy leveling my guardian.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

One way to succeed at PS is to wait until you are a few levels above the recommended level for the instance. Leveling is so fast in this game that doing so isn’t much of a hardship.

Or conversely, use Map chat or the LFG tool to ask others to help you. If I am online and you don’t mind guesting, I would likely be willing to help. =)

Good luck.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Some classes are harder to level than others and the new trait system means you don’t inherently have access to traits that can make all the difference in lower level fights.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Lol. I’m sure you are much younger than I.

Welcome to Tyria. It gets much easier…some say too easy. Haha.

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

You are welcome to join my guild that my friend and I created. We just use it for buffs but don’t mind helping a fellow out and adding to our group of pals to chill, play, and socialize with.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If you want some help and you’re on a US server, whisper me in game. Cador Shrike. I’m retired too. I can help and show you a few things. A lot of it is just learning.

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

I am retired also and had trouble with the personal story on my first characters. Part of the problem was inexperience. I didn’t really know the skills, both for weapons and utilities, for my character. I didn’t pay much attention to boons on the bad guys or conditions they placed on my characters. I didn’t know how to dodge or move very well. I didn’t really need those things to level up in the low areas. Also I was not very bold, afraid to die.

If a particular bad guy is giving you problems, analyze how they are doing that and then figure out which of your skills to use to counter it. You might die a few times in the process, but keep at it. If you can’t figure it out and there is no one on-line to help, google it or look in the wiki here. It’s amazing what helpful hints you can find.

Good luck and have fun.

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

If you want mentoring in Dungeons, there is a dungeon mentoring guild. PM me if you want to learn

Posted by: JasmineLong.6514

JasmineLong.6514

If you want mentoring in Dungeons, there is a dungeon mentoring guild. PM me if you want to learn

Take ivan up on his offer, you will not regret it!!

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

-snip-

You are not alone. 1000+ tickets and I failed to kill Liadri, while others do it naked.

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

Posted by: Mahlatte.4971

Mahlatte.4971

Hey, I’m usually running about on my own, feel free to message me in game if you need a hand.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

I have been playing MMOs since they started. I played UO, EQ, Anarchy online, EVE, etc.
However I really suck at this game.

I can usually do the quests that you get from the hearts, but the personal story quests I usually fail. I have tried most of the different classes and get the same results. The guilds that I join are silent and requests for help got unanswered.

I see posts in this forum where people complain about how easy the game is.

Maybe its time I retired from Guild Wars 2.

It’s not just you. I had trouble with other aspects of the game too. I died a lot in Personal Story, and against Veterans also. Sometimes it’s the terrible A.I. design that makes it harder than it should be, with silly mechanics. Oh, and it might be your gear and traits. Make sure you have them set to deal a lot of damage, so avoid Toughness, Vitality, and Healing stats.

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

• Are you of an appropriate level for the Personal Story mission? Even if you are, some chapters are tougher than others. Don’t be shy about leveling a bit more, and trying again later.
  • Is your gear up to your level? Don’t forget accessories! Most accessories seem to come from Heart vendors, but you can also just buy what you need from the Trading Post. Or craft whatever gear you need. Crafting will also help A LOT with leveling in this game, as you get XP for it.
  • Are you dodging? Sorry if this is insulting, but you mentioned having a lot of experience with previous MMORPGs — and that can actually hinder some people in GW2 if they expect it to play the same way. You cannot just stand there and trade blows with enemies until you win. You need to avoid attacks, and heal yourself liberally.
  • Try different weapons and skills. Maybe the ones in your comfort zone are not the best for the situation.

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

this game is harder for older (not all) people cause combat is tooo fast

thats why everything in open wold get zerged – everyone jsut has to spam biggest aoe

but solo content you need fast reactions to dodge or interupt important things and to chain your skills

trie spvp – and you understand very fast what im talking bout
everyone just spams as fast as possible everything cause game is to fast to react in the right way or can bring some strategic thinking
sure there are some youngsters with fast reactions and they love this fastpaced game cause they have an big advantage over other players but at the end its bad design

thats reason why noone is watching guildwars 2 at livestreams – cause noone see or understand whats going on

so – no you are not bad at the game

Posted by: Amnariel.3659

Amnariel.3659

If you are so bad at PvE don’t go to PvP you’ll end up deleting the game.

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

and isn´t this sad?

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

You gotta watch the animation of mobs and youll know when to dodge. Also you need to be aware of the mechanics of the game, as in if your about to die leave a mob at low hp so all you do is kill it when your down and rally off of it. Also using a good build helps a lot too, you should look up builds. You may be running a build that makes no sense or isn’t good enough.

Posted by: Amnariel.3659

Amnariel.3659

and isn´t this sad?

Yes it is and they want GW2 to be E-sports game…Until there’s classes who can defeat other classes without taking more than 10% of their health as damage no chances.(I say no classes cuz will be flame war,we all know them)

But be intopic as many said keep your eye on the npc animations but sometimes they lie or just bugged like AC spider when doing her web attack if you dodge wrong he turns around instant and get you caught even if you dodged in the good time then the poison field and dead.

Try to not fight higher level npcs than you and elites or champions even less until you know the proper mechanics and which spell what do.

In dungeons just learn the patterns and stacking spots in rest will be okey or just get around 7-8k achi points and they accept you even if you never seen a dungeon before :-)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

This video was made back during beta, and I still believe that someone who is used to other MMO’s rather than more action-oriented games will find it helpful.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

A well timed dodge is the best way to avoid damage. Don’t expect to be able to tank and spank. Armor and regen doesn’t help as much and self heals only heal a bit and has long recharge times. This game uses a bit more tactics when soloing than other MMOs.

Keep your gear within 10 levels of your actual level. At 80 you should be sporting level 80 rares at least.

Don’t stay zoomed in on your character if you are having problems, pulling the camera back and up a bit may give you a better view around you so you don’t back into or otherwise draw aggro from additional critters.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

Some classes are harder to level than others and the new trait system means you don’t inherently have access to traits that can make all the difference in lower level fights.

I disagree. IMO traits do not really sway fights til you have enough to make a real difference in your chosen stat preferences. Which to me is Not Lower level.

I Played before and after the 4/15 patch, and I have to be honest. As much as I Liked having trait points to play with…. The 10 to 30 levels do not feel much difference from before the patch. The trait points themselves make little difference.

It isn’t until you slot at 36 to 60 or so that traits really matter. Then again, maybe 36 to 60 is the new " lower level"?

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

At 2000 hours played I still manage to forget to swap weapons and thus spam weapon skills for the wrong weaponset.

Most of us do stupid crap often, so no need to worry.

And some personal story parts are unusually more rough than others. The difficulty varies widely and can throw inexperienced players off.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

I disagree. IMO traits do not really sway fights til you have enough to make a real difference in your chosen stat preferences. Which to me is Not Lower level.

I Played before and after the 4/15 patch, and I have to be honest. As much as I Liked having trait points to play with…. The 10 to 30 levels do not feel much difference from before the patch. The trait points themselves make little difference.

It isn’t until you slot at 36 to 60 or so that traits really matter. Then again, maybe 36 to 60 is the new " lower level"?

With the new trait system anything below 80 is the new “lower level”.

I haven’t stated a new character since Apr 14 so all my characters have their traits grandfathered in and even so with the threshold for each tier pushed back I noticed how much more painful it is to level a character. Leveling my third mesmer (she was in her 20s or 30s when this new trait system got implemented) was so much less fun than the first 2. On my second mesmer I couldn’t wait until level 40 so I could get clones when she dodged (a very important mechanic for my play style). On my third mesmer I had to wait until she was in her 60s somewhere. Since I understand how to play mesmer it wasn’t painful leveling her but definitely not as much fun.

I have heard of people with new characters that need to unlock their traits playing traitless until 80. They put their trait points into the first minor trait of each trait line and don’t bother with the rest while leveling.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Well, the adept traits are cheap enough for anyone, but yea you may be better off living off minor traits for quite a while. Ranges can for example, grab the wilderness survival minor trait for more endurance regen, guardians should grab vigorous precision, and thieves should grab the acrobatics minor trait (swiftness on dodge). Engies can make good use of speedy kits, and the minor is decent too.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)