Am I the only one who wouldnt like new races?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Smoothy.1085

Smoothy.1085

I dont really know why i wouldnt like it but i think it would be better to keep the races that are available now but expand their lore and storyline. also the possibility of having a very good soulbound geared character and then suddenly want to play the new race doesnt sound good either. i would prefer them to add new content/new storyline for an area instead of creating a new starting city/zone and storyline ofr a new race, cuz that would only affect the players that would play the new race. any opinions? :/

(edited by Smoothy.1085)

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

I don’t see why it would be necessary not to add anything to current races if new ones are created at some point. And not wanting them to add new races because you’d prefer them to your old one is just… I’m not even sure there’s a term…

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Return of Deldrimor dwarfs sounds awfuly cool, whats wrong with that?

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

no your not alone i dont want new races either, i would rather time spent making new races and everything that comes with it (starter area, personal story, making the armour fit because Charr already have enough clipping issues, etc) be spent on the races already ingame.

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

I would rather them work on a new profession and flesh out the current races more.

Race specific engineer equipment.

More race based clothing and spell effects.

Maybe even race specific character animations for weapon attacks.

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Engineers should have different equipment skins I agree, and maybe even based on race, but certainly not limited by race if that’s what you’re implying. Even actual racial weapons aren’t limited by race (armour is a whole different can of worms however, and even with the generic ones it’s easy to see how much trouble they have making it work on some races).

Posted by: Blackwolfe.5649

Blackwolfe.5649

Dont races already have race specific animations for certain weapons? Im pretty sure my two asura handle their weapons differently than any other races of the same classes.

Colin Johansen casts – Working As Intended
Colin Johansen hits you for 239407889 damage
Game over

Posted by: Graey.4967

Graey.4967

Why couldn’t we have both? I mean what if they had a patch that contained both a new race with lore etc as well as updating the lore, armor, issues, gear, story etc for the other races. Personally if I was running this game i would have a post of future things like the guy rebooting FF14. So people can kind of speculate and at least get a sliver of an idea where the game is going.

Posted by: Olfinbedwere.5049

Olfinbedwere.5049

I want a Skritt character pretty badly. I bet they’d sell more than a few character slot expansions if they add new races. I’b buy another one for a Centaur.

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

I would rather they add a ton of new racially themed armor/weapons to the game before they add another race. From level 1 stuff to level 80 stuff.

After that, they can add a new race or two.

I personally already don’t play anything but human because the armor drops/rewards are all “human” in design. If I want non-human designs, I gotta grind it out. #lame

I can’t imagine myself even caring if Skritt were made playable (my personal favorite non-playable) if they started out wearing… human armor.

PS: And yes, I would so play a Skritt and yell “Shiny!” then train a massive gathering of things to go get it. /evil_grin

Posted by: Vim.7318

Vim.7318

I wouldn’t mind new races or classes. If I wasn’t levelling alts then I probably would struggle to find things that interested me.

Posted by: Smoothy.1085

Smoothy.1085

I dont know, the thought of having more races like skritt/centaur/tengu/quaggan.. the sight of seeing players all like them just looks kinda weird to me :/

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

I would love to see dwarves (stone form or not) as playable in the future. Ugly tengu? No way. Not that they were likely anyway. Humans are already the most popular race and most people just aren’t gonna identify with a face that looks like a bird-rat that got pulled through a ringer. Don’t take it personally if you’re one of those people who want tengu to be playable: I’m just expressing my opinion about it. You don’t have to agree with it. Love your tengu and have a nice day.

The obstacle is the path.

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

I’d rather they get rid of the existing ones and go back to the Guild Wars 1 all-human glory days, if I’m honest.

That ship has sort of sailed, though, so if there are going to be non-human races, I’d rather keep seeing new ones, because then there might be one or two that I actually like. I’d rather play a Skritt than a Charr, Asura, Norn, or Sylvari, really.

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

Skritt are too dumb when not in groups and Quaggans are just too passive when not berserking.
The stone Dwarves cannot breed so in lore sense there are very few of them left.

That’s why it’ll likely be Tengu next.
They are smart enough, ready for a fight, wear armor, wield weapons and have a humanoid enough shape.
I’d prefer Largos tbh.

Either way I believe that most people like having more choices so you are likely in the minority.

Benight[Edge]

Posted by: Esorono.1039

Esorono.1039

I’m looking forward to play a Tengu, and really they are all I care about for future updates. New zones, storylines, armor/weapons, Holiday events, professions, and other races will barely phase me compared to the excitement I would get from playing a tengu.

Playable Tengu please!

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Dont races already have race specific animations for certain weapons? Im pretty sure my two asura handle their weapons differently than any other races of the same classes.

charr and asuras have different animations. Humans, norn and sylvari share the same ones however.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

If any,i would like to see Dwarves return,im not really interested to see people as skritts,tengus or polar bears running around..

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

only race i want to play as but can’t are the kodan. i wuv me some kodan.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I’d only dread a new race if a new class didn’t come with it. I don’t want to have to create a profession I already have just to play a new race, or delete an alt I already have of that profession to make one. Like if they add Tengu and Ritualist at same time it’d be great

I honestly hope Dwarves never return. That bit of lore needs to stay as is. >.<

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Cerulean.5142

Cerulean.5142

I dont mind the idea of new races but think it should be with an expansion. Maybe at the 6 month or 1 year mark and only if they give them at least zones from 1-40.

Posted by: Draco Aurum.7520

Draco Aurum.7520

Return of Deldrimor dwarfs sounds awfuly cool, whats wrong with that?

This x1000!
I always wanted to play a Dwarf in GW1, it would be awesome if they had a whole expansion dedicated to the return of the Dwarves and making them a playable race!

Posted by: fancy dagger feast.7520

fancy dagger feast.7520

This is just my thought but i don’t think A-net owes us a new race this early into the game. Many of there people who have been asking for a new race have not even finished the story lines of all the races already.

I don’t think Anet needs to create a new race until they decide to sell a boxed expansion. with that being said Dwarves, Centaur and Tengu would be cool to see in the game

Being that this game is less than 3 months old i dont think they need to put out a new race but once a year. however extended lore and answered question about the exsisting races would be nice and fun to learn

BrunoBRS.5178

dwarves are all dead. good riddance.

the few that aren’t dead have been rocks for the past 250 years, so they’re a dead race, just waiting for erosion to do its job.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

The only new races I wouldn’t be a fan of are more bipedal plantigrade humanoids. That includes such popular races like Dwarfs and Undead. I’d like to see it being kept on the level of strangeness the Charr and Asura exhibit. Tengu are digitigrade birdmen, Naga/The Forgotten don’t even have legs (and one has four arms). The non-human characteristics of races like that are all interesting enough on their own to warrant creating a playable race out of them. You can give a race of goo blobs a rich and full history, culture and traditions, but that doesn’t make them appealing to a large enough audience. Human-like races that at least share some basic similarities with what we as human instinctively recognize as being familiar, like the face and the statue(with the torso being more important in this recognition process than the lower extremities), is a prerequisite for a lion share of people to even consider playing them for 100s of hours. You can pull of a completely inhuman protagonist in something like a platformer or point and click adventure, but an MMORPG? Mhh, I’m finding that unlikely.

Posted by: Venirto.4208

Venirto.4208

Tengu are coming to the game.
Dwarfs would be awesome and I want them to be added in the future expansion.
Skritts? I don’t see how they could be the playable race.
Quaggans! They would fit much more than Skritts, that’s for sure.
Kodan are similar to the Norns, however I wouldn’t mind them to by playable.

fancy dagger feast.7520

I am pretty sure Anet have given the “minor race” title to races such as the skritt quaggans, kodan and the dredge.

I am also pretty possitive they have said the minor races will not become playable but i could be wrong.

With that being said you have to look back into GW1 lore to think of races or creatures which would be candidates for Playable-Race status.

I think Anet have liked the idea of Tengu as a playable race hence why the dominion of winds is sectioned off (for their racial town).

other then that I have no solid evidence that points to one race of the next.

BrunoBRS.5178

^ norns can’t wear armor and wield weapons in their bear form, nor are they polar bears in bear form.

kodan > norn

fancy dagger feast.7520

True i think Kodan look cool as bleep but its just not gonna be a playable to close to the norn

Posted by: Schurge.5194

Schurge.5194

I’d rather have new classes because I don’t really like any of them.

Well, I like the Necromancer but it can’t burst and I’m a MDPS player.

Champion Phantom
We are not friends.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Where is the love for Hylek?

Posted by: KeeVasha.5874

KeeVasha.5874

Oh Dwarves.. cool!
But I can’t remember if GW1 had them or not.. been to long playing that game. Suggestion though if the Devs do .. do this. Please for the love of god, don’t put beards on the females, unless there is an option to turn that off LOL

Never seperate the life you lead.. from the ‘words’ you speak

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

Quaggans and Hyleks!

Caedmon.6798

dwarves are all dead. good riddance.

the few that aren’t dead have been rocks for the past 250 years, so they’re a dead race, just waiting for erosion to do its job.

Yeah,it’s a game,where everything can happen.For all you know zhaitans forces are trying to find the spell that would get the dwarves out of stone so they can make an undead horde out of them,and from wich we have to save the dwarves and in return the dwarves inhabit tyria again and become a playable race.

BrunoBRS.5178

^ that would be the world’s worst retcon. i’m so glad you’re not writing the script.

BrunoBRS.5178

True i think Kodan look cool as bleep but its just not gonna be a playable to close to the norn

how are they even remotely close to each other? one is a race of tall, shapeshifting humanoids that worship the spirits of the wild. they can temporarily change to a bestial form to aid themselves.

the other is a race of armored polar bears that believe in a holy entity called koda and in the balance, live on iceberg ships, and can’t shapeshift.

saying the kodan are similar to the norn is like saying the charr are similar to the norn. and norns are already human reskins, going by your logic.

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

I would personally find it ideal if they added one more race, and 4 more classes – 2 Soldiers, 1 Adventurer, 1 Scholar. That way I could have 2 of every race, one male and one female, and have an even split of 2 characters of each gender in all 3 armor types. Also I could have at least one of each armor type in each Order, and an extra of whichever armor type seems most appropriate to that Order – so 2 Vigil Soldiers, 2 Whispers Adventurers, 2 Priory Scholars, and 1 each of the other two armor types in each Order. That would satisfy my ridiculous craving for symmetry perfectly (even if I’d probably have to reroll at least 2 of my current 8 characters to make it all match up).

Here are my thoughts on why various races may or may not be likely future additions.

OFFICIALLY CONSIDERED A “LESSER” RACE
These races aren’t culturally or technologically advanced enough to play in the same league as current PC races. If your 40-50 Order arc lets you work with a race, they will probably never become PCs. Possibilities exist for more advanced enclaves of these races being added in future content though, so this isn’t an absolute certainty. The fact that we interact non-violently with them more than any other non-PC races is also a big mark in their favor. This includes:
- Hylek
- Ogres
- Skritt
- Grawl
- Quaggan

RACE HAS BODY TYPE INCOMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT EQUIPMENT.
Whatever races come, it seems very likely they will have the same Weapon and Armor slots as all current races. This isn’t certain though – Centaurs were apparently attempted early in design, but they weren’t satisfied with their underwater movement animations. Still, that was long enough ago that they may not have settled on the head/shoulder/shirt/gloves/pants/shoes armor plan, and may have just had head/body equipment or something.
- Ettins (two heads)
- Krait (no legs)
- Naga (no legs)
- Forgotten (no legs, extra arms)
- Centaurs (too many shoe slots, not enough pant slots)

RACE HAS MOVEMENT TYPE THAT WOULD TRIVIALIZE EXISTING CONTENT
Pretty much, nobody gets to fly unless everybody gets to fly.
- Harpies
- Mursaat
- Seers
- Dredge (burrowing also counts)

RACE’S STORY REVOLVES AROUND BEING IN IRREVERSIBLE DECLINE
Yeah, Humans are supposed to be on the ropes right now, but the assumption is that they can overcome their obstacles and climb back to the top. Likewise for Norn and Asura, chased out of their homelands. Some races have narratives entirely wrapped around the glories of past ages that they can never reclaim, and those will probably never be player characters unless the story takes a massive unexpected twist.
- Dwarves
- Jotun
- Ghosts

RACE HAS SHOWN NO EVIDENCE OF CULTURE
If it’s got the right body shape, it doesn’t matter if it’s also pretty much feral, or exists only as a thrall of some greater entity. Theories about the Sylvari do leave room open for draconic minions escaping servitude, however.
- Trolls
- Steam Ogres
- Imps
- Minotaurs
- Golems
- Icebrood
- Destroyers
- Branded
- Risen
- Elementals

RACE SEEMS LIKE A VIABLE CANDIDATE TO BECOME PLAYER CHARACTERS
So who’s left? Correct me if I missed anyone, but these are the survivors. Some of them don’t seem too likely though, for reasons I’ll note.
- Tengu (all but assured, allegedly were planned but not ready by launch)
- Kodan (unlikely due to similarities to Norn and lack of customization options, but not impossible)
- Largos (Something of an enigma… their big goofy wings/fins seem like an odd choice for PCs though, and would get in the way of a lot of animations and armor.)

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Caedmon.6798

^ that would be the world’s worst retcon. i’m so glad you’re not writing the script.

Since you claimed they were dead and turned into stone so it would be impossible for them to return.I just gave you a simple example that it would be very possible,That you’re glad im not the writer isnt of my concern.It’s an example.

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

O boy i would love to be a Mursaat Ele!
But Mursaat Thief will be kinda funny. Leaping here and there lol!
Wait a minute Mursaat are casters. Sry my bad :P

BrunoBRS.5178

snip

nice summary, though plenty of the ones you mentioned wouldn’t be races to begin with (destroyers? lol). the flying races you mentioned could be handled by them only hovering, not actually flying (think of how tonics that turn you into flying creatures works), but none of them are viable for other reasons.

as for the kodan, they are as similar to the norn as the norn are to humans.

Posted by: Cousland.2187

Cousland.2187

No, you’re not the only one who wouldn’t like new races being added into this game. I’d much rather have ArenaNet flesh out the current races as the majority of players play as humans.

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

A new race isn’t something that bad. But will mix up the story I supose. New profission is good for me.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Wasselin.1235

Wasselin.1235

I agree. I don’t want new races or new professions. If they keep the number of races and professions small they can really build those up to be really awesome.

“Please find my dear friends… Dead or Alive” -redmakoto

Posted by: Fidjit.4162

Fidjit.4162

I would rather they add more Asura and Sylvari themed zones. I play Asura and really feel like the odd guy out compared to Humans, Norn and Charr.