Am i the only one that hasn't finished PS?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

…I havent finished the “my personal story” because is boring, even thought i got 3 lvl 80 characters! what about you?

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

(edited by Immensus.9732)

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

I’ve never done Arah story mode, but have done 3 explorable paths.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

I’ll probably never finish it because of Arah.

Immensus.9732

Im not even talking about dungeons, i mean the story, the story quests, the green star on the right top corner!!

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Yeah, that star shows up for the Arah dungeon after you do the other parts of the Orr personal story

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

My first 80 has gotten to Orr, the others are still in the 20’s or not started.

Immensus.9732

Yeah im aware of that, im saying that i find these specific quests very boring because the way that the story is delivered and the cut-scenes are not so good…

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I haven’t finished it and I have eight 80s. Not because its boring though. More that once I get a character to 80 I have other things to do with him/her.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: angelpaladin.7921

angelpaladin.7921

i have 4 or 5 80’s never finished the story. I have tried it just does not feel like its my story. I wanna be the hero not some salad that I meet halfway thought.

Immensus.9732

Yeah i mean i like every aspect of the game but the personal story it seems that is a very rushed job honestly…

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

I have 5 lvl 80 and I finished the story on 4 of them. Working on the 5-th.

Glorious Human Master Race

Posted by: PVStar.3658

PVStar.3658

The race specific stories are fun, after that it’s pretty terrible. I have 3 80s and I’ve only finished on one.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I have 6 Level 80s, and I have not finished my Personal Story. Not because I find it boring, I don’t. I am just waiting for my SO to catch up. I have done Arah Story Mode, (much easier than I imagined…decidedly so), but, of course, it did not count as I have 2 or 3 more Personal Story episodes to finish first.

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

After finishing it on my main I really have no urge to finish it on any alts.

I do up to the end of the racial story then I am just bored cause its the same stuff I’ve seen already. Its kind of a shame.

I also have no interest in completing it since doing Arah is kind of underwhelming. And kind of annoying to find a group every time. :P Haven’t tried since LFG tool got released though.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I have 3 ,80’s 4th almost there.
I do the personal story on all 7 my characters because I enjoy it.
I haven’t finished on one of them- because a 5 man instance sits at the end of my personal story.
The day they make story mode dungeons scalable from 1-5 party I will be all over them

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

I have done all but Arah. I don’t do group dungeons.

Posted by: Esya.3427

Esya.3427

I finished it 8 times, have 2 ready for Zhaitan and more alts coming up . You can call me crazy, but I like to play them (by that I mean the stories).

Posted by: Adventurous Cookie.1658

Adventurous Cookie.1658

Trahearne…..do i need to say more?

Attachments:

Anet, you’re breaking my heart! You’re going down a path I cannot follow!

Posted by: Onisuo.8607

Onisuo.8607

I would have attempted maybe if I wasn’t told I had to do dungeons to complete the story. And it’s not that I don’t like dungeons, I just don’t like doing them without the roles of healer tank in place and refuse to dodge<→die<→resurrect to the end of the run.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i done arah story once, took 1.5 hours.
but my personal story is not ready by then.

after that, i have not done arah again.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

I tried. After they butchered Forgal and gave me the pod pal I quit.
After so many years of MMOs, the combination of that NPC and “oh, look, Zombies” was a bit much to bear.

8 level 80s and a 75. Since the first char I have stopped at LA prior to butchering the only NPCs they managed to create a connection to in the story.

I have not even started the personal lines on 3 of them. The story is just too canned, too trite, and too full of holes and loose ends to care about.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I finished all of it on one character. The rest just go through it until the racial story is over.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

The race specific stories are fun, after that it’s pretty terrible. I have 3 80s and I’ve only finished on one.

This.

The pact story is good played once up until Claw Island, but even then, the pact stories are nowhere near as engaging as the race specific ones.

That infamous picture of the story tree also highlights that as it progresses, the choices offered the player narrow down at every branch until everyone is funnelled into the same resolution.

I understand from a narrative point of view why this was easier to develop, but I can’t help but wonder how much more engaged we would have been if the story structure was inverted, so that everyone started off the same way but gradually diverged as the story progressed.

It would have meant a different story for every alt, and would have felt a lot more personal, as fewer players would have experienced the same story as yours.

But hindsight is twenty-twenty as they say.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

I have 3 lvl 80"s, the last one just this week.

I completed the PS on my first 2 but probably won’t on my 3rd.
Arah story mode is long but not that difficult. If you skip the cutscenes, it goes much quicker and is far easier than the exp paths. The most difficult part is finding 4 other players to do it with you!

If you select a different race and faction each time, then the first PS bits are at least different from each other, but yes, overall it is boring, terribly written and very anti-climatic. Also the final rewards are dreadful for what you have to put up with.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Actually, thinking further on the structure of the personal story, that picture also highlights a particular development practise.
They have quite obviously front-loaded the personal story, assuming that most players will never see the end.
It’s very common to do this in the game industry, and whilst it’s not a practise I condone, from a business perspective I can understand it.
Why bother wasting resources on content most players will never see?

You can see this throughout the game, with starter areas frequently being more engaging than mid to late game areas.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

Did it once with my main, after almost 4 months and because basically a friend “forced” me to do it… Most boring storyline ever…. No wait, Living Story’s even worse.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Done it once, never again.

Posted by: Lexy.3912

Lexy.3912

I’ve finished it entirely on 4 of my 7 80s and intend to finish it on the others as well, plus any future alts. It is good experience whilst you’re levelling and I find it helps to open up a variety of maps so once a character is 80 I have a reasonable map completion. Whilst I hate every single mission with Trahearne, I like all the other bits and I really enjoy doing the Arah story with guildies who are also at that stage but I have also successfuly pugged it before.

My GW2 Project 365 – building a picture of a year in Tyria
The #GW2Project365 on Twitter
Proudly representing The Legion of Honour [XIII] on Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Yocchan.8902

Yocchan.8902

I never go past Claw Island myself after playing it on my main (who is still at some lvl 70+ Orr mission since almost a year back, I simply couldn’t bother any more). I really enjoy the racial part though, it has many different options and nice bits of lore: Caudecus, Malyck and the infinity ball are some examples. The order-of-choice part is quite fun as well imo.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

My main character has been level 80 for months and I haven’t finished the story.

In my case it’s not even that I don’t like doing it. It’s having to go to the location that put me off. I stopped doing my sylvari’s story for ages after I got fed up with being sent to Kessex Hills, back to the Grove to watch one cut scene, back to Kessex, back to the Grove for another cut scene…. And having to keep going to Orr is even worse. I know I can use waypoints but then it feels like a waste of money when I play for 2 minutes and have to go somewhere else, either to continue the story or because I want to do something different.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

…thats hasnt finished the “my personal story” because is boring, even thought i got 3 lvl 80 characters?

LOL 8 Lv80’s none has finished their PS, my main is close to the end being in the high 70’s in the PS progression, probably will finish it on this toon but the others, doubtful unless Anet attaches some sort of reward for completion to make it worth the effort.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

…thats hasnt finished the “my personal story” because is boring, even thought i got 3 lvl 80 characters?

Exactly the same here. I keep thinking i’ll do a part when it’s part of the dailies…but i don’t. Part of the issue for me is that if i have to leave the game before the instance is over then i’m either stuck in it or have to do i all over again. They ARE boring to me. It would at least be nice to know how long each instance might take so i can judge if i might have enough time to complete it.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

I have finished it on one of my characters, just out of curiosity..

I found the story in Guild Wars 1 more captivating than the one in GW2.
I remember staring at my screen with tears in my eyes when Rurik’s head was bashed in by the Stone Summit.. However, when the dragon was messing on Claw Island and all that, I couldn’t be kitten d whether or not Trahearne would die or not..

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

Posted by: saintange.5816

saintange.5816

the personal story is what hooked me up with the game! actually when i first bought the game until i reached lvl 80, gw2 was pretty much like an RPG for me as all i was doing was personal story and leveling up in order to reach the next phase of the personal story.

I really dived into the story and grew attached to some of the characters that you meet during the journey, actually it was only when i completed the personal story that i started using GW2 as an MMO lo.

Now i can’t wait for the personal story to be extended.

Chandiell-Chronomancer

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

All 8 of my characters are at level 80 and none have completed the storyline, I was extremely disappointed in the story line once we met up with trahearne. So currently they are all at level 60+ in their storylines.

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

Just like Lynne above me, I have 8 level 80s and have never once finished the personal story. I have several in the 70-79 area of the story quests, but having heard that the last step is both time consuming, tedious and incredibly disappointing, I’ve avoided it like the plague.

Wouldn’t it be nice if the story itself were compelling enough to push the player toward finishing?

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

Posted by: Plagueis.9672

Plagueis.9672

I full think they put in an on/off switch for this quest. I am still working on mine with my 1st character but I no intention of doing again and honestly I looking at the green blob on the map or the little green arrows in LA telling me to go do the quest….

X_X “I won’t! I won’t! You can’t make me!!!!”

Posted by: Yocchan.8902

Yocchan.8902

I full think they put in an on/off switch for this quest. I am still working on mine with my 1st character but I no intention of doing again and honestly I looking at the green blob on the map or the little green arrows in LA telling me to go do the quest….

X_X “I won’t! I won’t! You can’t make me!!!!”

I agree. It’s definitely in the way as well, especially for people with smaller monitors.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I finished it with my first character. My second character became my Main so i now with him i’m at Arah waiting on a 5th Guildmate to reach it so we can do a Guild party to complete the story (second time for me, first time for the others). I completed 1 try for each racial mission and vigil/priory/whisper order, and that’s all. He was a pain for my Second Character and most of these quest were just boring. TBH this is the case with most MMO so this is not a big deal. Still there is no reason for giving us boring quest to do, SWTOR quest were super engaging.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

I have three 80s and not one has finished their story. Got my first 80 a couple weeks after release and just never done Arah. Now even if I wanted to there is no one doing it so I just keep doing LS.

Posted by: jayvux.4128

jayvux.4128

Problem is, I can’t shake off the feeling that I am merely a mercenary while the NPC is the hero.

GM of Leaders [LEAD]
Server: Darkhaven (fb.com/groups/guildwars2darkhaven)
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheJayvux

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

Problem is, I can’t shake off the feeling that I am merely a mercenary while the NPC is the hero.

Yeah, that’s why everyone hates Trahearne. In the sylvari storyline it’s a little bit of a different vibe, it comes across like you’re just helping each other fulfill your wild hunts. For other races, it’s meh.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

Yeah, that’s why everyone hates Trahearne. In the sylvari storyline it’s a little bit of a different vibe, it comes across like you’re just helping each other fulfill your wild hunts. For other races, it’s meh.

I really don’t know how I managed it but on my Sylvari ranger, Trahearne was playing second fiddle to me. He was barely there for the storyline and my ranger got the pale tree’s sword and all the glory.

My Sylvari thief was completely the opposite. I felt as if I were Trahearne’s footstool or pet cat or something. Emotionally, It was very unrewarding.

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

In my opinion, the first 20-30 levels of the story were good, then awful til Orr. I thought Orr was ok. And then finally, the Arah storymode dungeon was awful and an absolutely embarrassing way to ‘end’ a game as big as this.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

Posted by: Hrithmus.2583

Hrithmus.2583

They should have done the story mode like they did SWTOR. The game sucks but the way they made the story and how each person can interact was amazing. I finished my main story only once. Never again.

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

I finished the main story once. CBA to repeat it

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

I like the personal story as well. Still haven’t finished it, but close at 76. I work on it now and then, but see no need to rush through it.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I have 6 characters. I’ve finished the PS on exactly none of them.

A couple of them are on the level 70 missions. 2 are at the 50 missions. The others are on their 30 missions.

I liked PS in the initial stages in the cultural areas. But after that it just got kind of meh. And honestly, I even in the early stages I prefer just running around the world doing map completion and such than running through PS quests. Also, finding out that you need to do a dungeon to finish the final portion was kind of a buzzkill too. I don’t have anything against dungeons specifically, but it doesn’t really feel like it fits with the personal story.

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Finished it on my main (and enjoyed), can’t seem to finish it on my alts…mostly get stuck at ’don’t want to do claw Island again’ ^^°

Dungeons feel weird storywise because they are concerned with a completely different story branch (getting Destiny’s Edge back together)

Polka will never die

Posted by: Treehugga.2398

Treehugga.2398

6 level 80s and 2 level 30s. No one has finished the personal story. My first character has done about 4 story things in Orr…so somewhat close. I did them cause I accidentally ran past them while doing temples and figured I might want a change of pace. Regretted it almost every time.