Am i the only one that hasn't finished PS?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

i finished it to get the annoying green text out of the corner of my screen.

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

i finished it to get the annoying green text out of the corner of my screen.

Is fun that many of us thats the reason they finished itXD

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

I finished it once and since then I’ve leveled 2 more alts to 80, have 2 more around 40 and I’ve only gone up to Claw Island in the PS on one alt.

As others have said, the racial stories are not bad and can be entertaining (I liked the asura ones and I intend to finish those off sometime) but the ones after Claw Island are just not engaging. And I’m not just taking about Trahaerne.

I’m talking about the overall design and balance. Some of the PS missions are easy enough but then there are radical jumps in difficulty where mechanics repeatedly killed my character in an attempt to be ‘challenging’ which only end up making the mission tedious and destroying what little drama there might have been.

Remember in Star Wars when Luke Skywalker was going down the DeathStar trench and how his ship kept getting blown up and he had to run back to the rebel base to try it over and over again? Of course you don’t because that’s a terrible way to present a story.

(Specifically I’m thinking of one boss that spam-spawned large numbers of veteran spiders – I think it was the Risen Spider Lord but looking at the wiki now it reads that he spawns low level spiders making me think perhaps they fixed this horribly designed encounter much as they fixed Arah. )

As it stands, I’m not going back to do any part of my PS until I have all my characters at 80 and equipped with exotics. I want to plow through the bloody mobs in the mission that are nothing but roadblocks stopping me from seeing the story. I want an Easy mode on my PS so I can enjoy the story. I have no interest in the rewards of the mission (which are mediocre even if I did them with a level appropriate character), for me the story is the WHOLE point to doing to the mission and anything that interferes with a well-done presentation of that story is not at all welcome.

ArenaNet has partly learned this lesson and they are focusing on presentation when they do dramatic bits of the storyline. They did an excellent job in the balance during the events of the Queen Jubilee and Scarlet’s first appearance IMO. And they are leaving challenging content to less story-dependent activities, like Tequatl and the Tower of Nightmares. They were already doing much the same with the separation of the Story mode vs Explorer mode in dungeons, but this concept never made it into the PS for some reason.

I don’t understand is why difficulty settings are never used in MMOs for solo-content. We’ve seen this mechanic in single player games for years and GW2 already has a scaling system. There could corresponded rewards or titles if players chose to do the story on harder mode and players who just want to see the story can be allowed to do that.

They still gate some of the storylines behind difficult content, like the Aetherblade, but I hope they will fully embrace the idea that storylines and lore are something that every character, down to the most casual, should be able to experience. Achievements and titles are meant for the hardcore players, the story should be something every person playing GW2 should share.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

(edited by DoctorOverlord.8620)

Immensus.9732

I dont know why but i feel this thread hasnt finished yet so ill bring it back, Anet needs to know that PS needs some improvements

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Trahearne…..do i need to say more?

By linking to the quoted post and looking at the attachments, you will have officially completed GW2’s personal story.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

What’s ‘personal’ about having to try and find 4 other people to do story mode dungeon at the end of the personal story.

Never finished it on any toon (had 18 level 80’s), closest i got was when i decided to complete it, got to the ‘go do a dungeon story mode in your pERSONAL story’ and gave up. try finding a party for it…

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

They should have known that nobody would want to do the story mode Arah for new players a few months down the road. Terrible rewards and a waste of time.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I’ve done up until about lvl 70 or so, haven’t felt like going back afterwards. The story’s bland, tedious and generally unrewarding. I do like the cultural part at the beginning though. It really ought to end there, everything after lvl 30 feels like filler.

Personal Stories don’t really have a place in an MMO, I find. It’d take far too much effort to make ‘em feel worthwhile. The god I was favoured by, my ’quest’, alignment and origin story…none of these things have any real impact on my open world experiences. It’d be nice if they did, but that sense of immersion based on each character’s place in the world largely depends on my interaction with other players anyway.

Posted by: The Meat Wagon.7194

The Meat Wagon.7194

I did it once but never again. My impression was that gw2 doesn’t really have a story.

Immensus.9732

I did it once but never again. My impression was that gw2 doesn’t really have a story.

Yeah thats the impression that the game gives you indeed and is sad because in fact it has one of the most interesting “game lore” especially if you play Gw1 or search it in wiki you`ll see that it has so good story but it hasnt been delivered properly in gw2

Posted by: Caosaur.3871

Caosaur.3871

Finished it on my first 80, didn’t bother with the other 3.

Unlike GW1, GW2’s story just falls apart after the racial bit. I can remember most of GW1’s story but not much of GW2. It’s just that boring and forgettable.

Being a cancerous roamer on TC.

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

Just realized that I have been playing for a year and never seen the end of the personal story lol

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

With all the fuss about immersive personal stories that are customised to you, I just don’t feel it. Not finished my personal story. I love GW2 as a game, and I refuse to make this another whiney post but I do feel the personal story is lacking.

I believe this is because:

In GW1 you don’t know the whole story from the start. As you play out the story you explore the game, plots unfold and there are twists with the characters that you meet.

in GW2 the whole story is just preparing to fight Zhaitan. Theres nothing interesting or exciting about playing through it and its just more of a task to get it done.

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast