Amalgamated Gemstone supply unsustainable

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shovel Face.4512

Shovel Face.4512

So you need 2250 orbs, crest, etc. to craft 250 gemstones needed for a HoT legendary. Now this is not exactly a bad idea, in fact I like its a great idea but the issue is that there is NO reliable way of getting these said orbs, crests, etc. Anet NEEDS to increase the drop rate of these. One way they can do this is buy giving a guarenteed any 1-3 orb or crest from completing a dungeon path.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

It will be interesting to see what happens with this gemstones in the coming weeks/months, now that Anet have said no more legendaries will be coming, why would you need to farm for these, im fairly sure supply is either going to dwindle to nothing, or it will be like other items on the TP where they will sit for months and months before moving as no one will need/want them.

The dungeon/fractal chests is not a bad idea to get more of the crests/orbs etc into the game.

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

Or they can increase the drop rate from the intended source, mining nodes, by adding orbs to Mithril nodes as well as Orichalcum.
I agree for crests being in more chests but orbs should be increased in their usual source. (Normal orbs from mining nodes, freshwater pearls from mussels in Maguuma, Burls from Maguuma tree nodes and Lillies from Jungle plants. These drop rates need fixing regardless of if it is for Amalgamated Gemstones or not.)

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

i actually dont think this is a problem. supply of amalgamated gemstones is also supplemented by mystic forging t5 gems and medallions as well as possible crit chancing off the 10 amalgamated recipe to 25.
also even though the supply of those t5 gems and medallions is also rng ive found the rate to be reasonable enough.

also as long as there is no new sink created for amalgamated gemstones the demand should simmer down after a while

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Shovel Face.4512

Shovel Face.4512

It will be interesting to see what happens with this gemstones in the coming weeks/months, now that Anet have said no more legendaries will be coming, why would you need to farm for these, im fairly sure supply is either going to dwindle to nothing, or it will be like other items on the TP where they will sit for months and months before moving as no one will need/want them.

The dungeon/fractal chests is not a bad idea to get more of the crests/orbs etc into the game.

Although, what shocking to me is despite the new recipie that released in the patch, the gemstones price still remained around the same price (2.5-2.7 G) even tho the recipe made it 100g cheaper to get to 250 gemstones. Smh people.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

There’s no issue with supply since they are not making anymore new legendaries.

Haleydawn.3764

The thing is you need these orbs, pearls and burls whatever for other things than just amalgamated gemstones. So the title is kind of not the problem, and is just a knock-on effect of the real problem :

but the issue is that there is NO reliable way of getting these said orbs, crests, etc.

This, is a problem that needs addressing. Not for Amalgamated Gemstones, but for everything else you craft with these items. It was a bad decision requiring so many gems/crests etc for Amalgamated without adding a reliable way to obtain them in the first place.

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The thing is you need these orbs, pearls and burls whatever for other things than just amalgamated gemstones. So the title is kind of not the problem, and is just a knock-on effect of the real problem :

but the issue is that there is NO reliable way of getting these said orbs, crests, etc.

This, is a problem that needs addressing. Not for Amalgamated Gemstones, but for everything else you craft with these items. It was a bad decision requiring so many gems/crests etc for Amalgamated without adding a reliable way to obtain them in the first place.

Amalgamated gemstones were the largest sink for these items. With no new legendary weapons, demand for them will go down as supply increases. The other recipes that use these items require so few that it’s really a non-issue when it comes to them.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

So you need 2250 orbs, crest, etc. to craft 250 gemstones needed for a HoT legendary. Now this is not exactly a bad idea, in fact I like its a great idea but the issue is that there is NO reliable way of getting these said orbs, crests, etc. Anet NEEDS to increase the drop rate of these. One way they can do this is buy giving a guarenteed any 1-3 orb or crest from completing a dungeon path.

The value of low-priced orbs spiked with the release of a new legendary and the new 10x AmGem recipe. These prices have since leveled off and remain below historical highs.

Therefore, I don’t see a supply/demand issue.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I thought they were indefinitely suspended, not cancelled forever?

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

I thought they were indefinitely suspended, not cancelled forever?

You realize those two phrases are functionally identical right?

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Promote mats, problem solved. ANet are well aware of of what needs to be added. They have an economist for this sort of thing. Currently most gems are worthless. By adding this it was given a use for all gems T5 and T6 more than others granted, but that’s why mat promotion is in the game.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Promote mats, problem solved. ANet are well aware of of what needs to be added. They have an economist for this sort of thing. Currently most gems are worthless. By adding this it was given a use for all gems T5 and T6 more than others granted, but that’s why mat promotion is in the game.

There are at least two problems with that.

1) the forge’s interface is very bad for any sort of bulk operation
2) promoting through more than 1 tier is probably going to cost more/sell for less than just selling the parts

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Gemstones are what I’m working on now to finish the new Shortbow. It’s only going to take a few short decades for me to farm all the orbs and I’ll be done.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

Another grinder complaining about grinding.

Haleydawn.3764

2) promoting through more than 1 tier is probably going to cost more/sell for less than just selling the parts

Your first point is not exactly valid. You don’t promote gemstones reliably in the forge. You use jewelcrafting to do this.

Your second point is correct. Promoting (transmogrifying) t5 to t6 costs roughly the same as if you buy it on the tp. But if you promote from say t3 to t6 It becomes more expensive again.

If you farm the materials yourself you are still stuck with the poor obtainability of which ever tier gemstone plus dust you need to promote them. So this obtainability is across the board really but popular stat items will drive prices. Not everyone would like to just buy everything off the trading post, some people actually like to gather these things themselves.

I can see why people would like the stats Maguuma Lillies and Freshwater Pearls give, especially for WvW. But the price on those are ridiculous.

So again, this is more than just about AmGems.

Kitten.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

If the supply is getting that.bad, then problem 2 will not be a problem. But then maybe there’s not a problem to start with.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Seems this is not a problem

https://www.gw2tp.com/item/68063-amalgamated-gemstone

The supply has gone from 2500 in January to 10,000 today. Price has fallen from a peak of 3.5g down to 2.6g and is continually falling.

Canceling the remaining legendary weapons means demand is now constant while supply is continually increasing. As the people who want a legendary finish up over the next 6 months demand will start to fall and supply will keep rising. I suspect these will be less than 1g each by the end of the year.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The tricky thing about economics is that we tend to react to the current supply/demand, without recognizing that equilibriums change after shocks to the system. Each new legendary spikes demand, which affects supply and prices. That makes it seem like there’s a problem, except:

• Entrepreneurs spot an opportunity to make coin and are willing to put in effort that increases the supply.
  • The vanguard consumers willing to pay premium prices become sated, leaving bargain hunters waiting for a deal.

Rising supply with falling demand leads to price drops and a new equilibrium.

tl;dr High prices and low supply aren’t the only factors that determines whether ANet should make adjustments.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Your first point is not exactly valid. You don’t promote gemstones reliably in the forge. You use jewelcrafting to do this.

Your second point is correct. Promoting (transmogrifying) t5 to t6 costs roughly the same as if you buy it on the tp. But if you promote from say t3 to t6 It becomes more expensive again.

If you farm the materials yourself you are still stuck with the poor obtainability of which ever tier gemstone plus dust you need to promote them. So this obtainability is across the board really but popular stat items will drive prices. Not everyone would like to just buy everything off the trading post, some people actually like to gather these things themselves.

I can see why people would like the stats Maguuma Lillies and Freshwater Pearls give, especially for WvW. But the price on those are ridiculous.

So again, this is more than just about AmGems.

Hmm … DS was pretty nice for the lilies but I rarely see anyone else around when I am running around there gathering. There are also decent amounts of mussel but there are better places for those. Then again I probably wouldn’t be going there either if I didn’t need the crystalline ore and crystalline ore is nearly useless unless you are going for a HoT legendary or stuff from some of the guild vendors. The vendors are gated by guild hall upgrades so that isn’t a very helpful motivator either. There are also two jungle plants that always spawns in the center of Tarir.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Tossing 4 t5 stones forges into Amalgamated a Gemstones at a surprisingly high rate.

The method generates not just the T6 gemstones but the finished Amalgamated Gemstone.

This method is profitable, even though t5 stones now trade at 3x vendor. It’s probably the cheapest method of generating Amalgamated a Gemstones.

So just mine a lot of T5 materials and spend a day at the forge.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.