Amazon.com Recent User Feedback

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Derk.3189

Derk.3189

interesting topic on the WoW forums:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7004697373?page=1

Seems like that whole ‘bridging the gap’ bs got to some people there. I suggest posting in that topic to tell the people the truth about ascended gear. You can use your battlenet account, you don’t need to have purchased wow in order to post there.

Posted by: SoulTrain.2157

SoulTrain.2157

Im loving gw2 other then like some others have said it needs a better way to find a group like a lfg option.

and to anyone who says user reviews aren’t important or dont matter i always look at user reviews. they matter more to me then pro reviews. i’ll take a users review over any review over at gamespots or igns ect… websites anyday. i never even bother to read a pro game reviewers review. and i order from amazon quite often and i always look at the user reviews and i always click on the lowest ratings of an item first to see what the bads are. and if i dont see that many bads ill look at what the goods are and if the goods outweigh the bads i may buy it. but they have to outweigh them alot. and if i see enough bads i may not even bother looking at what the goods are. but every so often ill want an item no matter what anyone says about it.

(edited by SoulTrain.2157)

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

Don’t stop with amazon. hit target.com, walmart.com, gamestop.com and dozens of others. start a movement.

I hate myself for thinking this is a good idea. Poor GW2..

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Posted by: StormGryffen.7638

StormGryffen.7638

You know, having such an anger-attack over gear that is only slightly better than what’s already out makes little sense. The game already has a gear treadmill, now it just also has an endgame.

The most confusing part of all of this complaining has been the idea that if you don’t get to have exactly what you want, you’re going to go onto review sites and try to ruin the game so that no one else has any fun either. You complain about the psychology of selfishness that gear gating represents, but then you choose to break away from the community you purport to defend and try and ruin it for everyone.

I don’t know what’s more difficult to understand – behaving this way over a few optional added features that are a miniscule difference in comparison to what’s already in the game, or making threads about how you’re going to “review bomb” the game and assuming no one’s going to point out to these sites that this is going on.

Posted by: Malefactor.2971

Malefactor.2971

Im loving gw2 other then like some others have said it needs a better way to find a group like a lfg option.

and to anyone who says user reviews aren’t important or dont matter i always look at user reviews. they matter more to me then pro reviews. i’ll take a users review over any review over at gamespots or igns ect… websites anyday. i never even bother to read a pro game reviewers review. and i order from amazon quite often and i always look at the user reviews and i always click on the lowest ratings of an item first to see what the bads are. and if i dont see that many bads ill look at what the goods are and if the goods outweigh the bads i may buy it. but they have to outweigh them alot. and if i see enough bads i may not even bother looking at what the goods are. but every so often ill want an item no matter what anyone says about it.

I view it that neither the “professional” reviews or the user reviews are the least bit trustworthy. The “pro” reviewers have an interest in staying within the developers good graces, and users are anonymous, can range from fanboys of the game or fanboys of another game, paid shills and anything and everything in between. The only opinions I trust for gaming are my own, and people who I’ve been gaming with for a long time that share many of my tastes.

I also don’t put any stock in what developers say to talk up and sell their game, I’ve been playing this genre long enough to know that that’s all it is : talk, PR to sell games. Things can and will change, regardless of the best intentions or big “promises” made, money is what makes the decisions.

Posted by: Hycinthus.6483

Hycinthus.6483

Amazon reviews are actually big deals, most companies realize this. Sure, 4-5 reviews may not mean much right now, but as someone said if it keeps coming it is also a serious problem that must be addressed. Reviews on massively popular and international sites like amazon are the source of word-of-mouth marketing and gossip, so it can definitely dent the sale of a product. You may think Spore or Mass effect 3 still sold millions, but they could’ve sold millions more too had those review bombs didn’t happen.

Reviews have a lot of power so take it seriously. Everyone who are giving 1 is definitely not serious about reviewing.

Smart people will always decide what they want to believe, but trust me there a lot of lazy, ignorant buyers who rely solely on reviews, and the majority of people, who are not in this forum, are probably not as well informed as you about the game.

(edited by Hycinthus.6483)

Posted by: NaughtyProwler.8653

NaughtyProwler.8653

You know, having such an anger-attack over gear that is only slightly better than what’s already out makes little sense. The game already has a gear treadmill, now it just also has an endgame.

The most confusing part of all of this complaining has been the idea that if you don’t get to have exactly what you want, you’re going to go onto review sites and try to ruin the game so that no one else has any fun either. You complain about the psychology of selfishness that gear gating represents, but then you choose to break away from the community you purport to defend and try and ruin it for everyone.

I don’t know what’s more difficult to understand – behaving this way over a few optional added features that are a miniscule difference in comparison to what’s already in the game, or making threads about how you’re going to “review bomb” the game and assuming no one’s going to point out to these sites that this is going on.

I bet when you go to Subway and someone puts Mayo on your sub, but you totally asked for Ranch (NOT known as mayo!) you are just like “whatever brah, I can dig it” and go on your way.

Well you know what? Sometimes I don’t want mayo. I want ranch. The sandwich said “Chicken Bacon Ranch” not “Chicken Bacon Mayo”, so why give me the mayo Subway lady? I did not ask for the mayo friend. I even said “hold the mustard”, but I got the mustard too. So now I got me some Chicken Bacon Mayo and Mustard. This is just not the sandwich I ordered friend.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

I bet when you go to Subway and someone puts Mayo on your sub, but you totally asked for Ranch (NOT known as mayo!) you are just like “whatever brah, I can dig it” and go on your way.

Well you know what? Sometimes I don’t want mayo. I want ranch. The sandwich said “Chicken Bacon Ranch” not “Chicken Bacon Mayo”, so why give me the mayo Subway lady? I did not ask for the mayo friend. I even said “hold the mustard”, but I got the mustard too. So now I got me some Chicken Bacon Mayo and Mustard. This is just not the sandwich I ordered friend.

Terrible analogy.

Better would be that they gave you a Chicken Bacon Ranch, and then later came back to your table with Chocolate Chip Cookies and gave them to you for free on top of what you ordered saying “We have added free Chocolate Chip Cookies to all Chicken Bacon ranch orders. Enjoy!”

Perhaps you don’t like Chocolate Chip Cookies, but they are IN ADDITION to exactly what you payed for. Eat them or don’t. Your choice.

This is new content. You bought the old content. Old content is still there and you are quite welcome to play it…

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

(edited by Kumu Honua.2751)

StormGryffen.7638

So, in this analogy, you’re the kind of person who, upon receiving the wrong condiment, screams bloody murder for 6 days in ordered to ruin everyone else’s meal and then, when thrown out of the establishment after a great deal of patience is afforded you by the staff for your complaining, you organize an effort to put Subway out of business dishonestly?

No. You are not that person. No one is. So why try to be that way?

NaughtyProwler.8653

So, in this analogy, you’re the kind of person who, upon receiving the wrong condiment, screams bloody murder for 6 days in ordered to ruin everyone else’s meal and then, when thrown out of the establishment after a great deal of patience is afforded you by the staff for your complaining, you organize an effort to put Subway out of business dishonestly?

Maybe that was a bad analogy. I’ll try again.

So maybe I go to the grocery store instead, and I want buy a papaya. So I buy one that looks pristine, like mint condition man. This thing is a beacon of hope for my future snacking needs.

Later on I get home, and I crack open that papaya. But guess what friend, that papaya is rotten to the core in the inside. That thing smells like death too. I can’t snack on this papaya. That thing will give me nasty guts. So I take it back to the store, but they won’t take it back right? They say, it’s my fault, because I misunderstood the label that said “Papayas fresh brought in last night”. But if they were brought in last night, how could they be rotten already? I just don’t know. How could it be rotten? Impossible. I just don’t believe it.

NaughtyProwler.8653

Terrible analogy.

Better would be that they gave you a Chicken Bacon Ranch, and then later came back to your table with Chocolate Chip Cookies and gave them to you for free on top of what you ordered saying “We have added free Chocolate Chip Cookies to all Chicken Bacon ranch orders. Enjoy!”

Perhaps you don’t like Chocolate Chip Cookies, but they are IN ADDITION to exactly what you payed for. Eat them or don’t. Your choice.

This is new content. You bought the old content. Old content is still there and you are quite welcome to play it…

I think I made a better analogy. Sry!

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

I want to be avenged for being wronged. Try some math, these aren’t optional.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Kumu Honua.2751

So maybe I go to the grocery store instead, and I want buy a papaya. So I buy one that looks pristine, like mint condition man. This thing is a beacon of hope for my future snacking needs.

Later on I get home, and I crack open that papaya. But guess what friend, that papaya is rotten to the core in the inside. That thing smells like death too. I can’t snack on this papaya. That thing will give me nasty guts. So I take it back to the store, but they won’t take it back right? They say, it’s my fault, because I misunderstood the label that said “Papayas fresh brought in last night”. But if they were brought in last night, how could they be rotten already? I just don’t know. How could it be rotten? Impossible. I just don’t believe it.

Just stop with the analogies.

You took home that Papaya. Opened it up and enjoyed it for months. Now they have given you a free orange on top of the Papaya you already enjoyed and you hate oranges.

Just stop it.

Posted by: Araushnee.1852

Araushnee.1852

Seems like that whole ‘bridging the gap’ bs got to some people there. I suggest posting in that topic to tell the people the truth about ascended gear. You can use your battlenet account, you don’t need to have purchased wow in order to post there.

Nice read. Sad, but nice read.

Gamer Gal

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

To be fair, those people DO exist. I once met someone at a gaming convention who had a blast pretty much standing two booths down from Wizards of the Coast stopping people to make up all kinds of things trying to disrupt their business. He moved constantly, so people couldn’t pinpoint him but he was always in the dealer’s room spending ten minutes talking about how D&D 3.5 was a sign of the end times and how the recent release of the Dragonlance Campaign Guide was also a sign the original IP holders had sold out. (Amusingly, Margaret Weis was there.)

On the other hand, I came with a bunch of people who decided it would be hilarious to troll the HECK out of the creator of Cynnabar.

So. Yes, people exist who get dissatisfied and proceed to make attempts to tank a business they don’t like.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Regrets of Sini.6083

Regrets of Sini.6083

So now this is not simply design problem, it is full-blown PR problem as well. Well, whoever decided to monetize on ascended gear will have to think twice next time.

NaughtyProwler.8653

You took home that Papaya. Opened it up and enjoyed it for months. Now they have given you a free orange on top of the Papaya you already enjoyed and you hate oranges.

Just stop it.

But that papaya was supposed to be the papaya to end all papayas. I didn’t ask for an orange, I’m actually allergic to oranges! Papayas are the only thing that my tummy can handle.

Posted by: Satya.1543

Satya.1543

An anology that would make more sense in this case is getting a bag of yellow papaya’s, and getting home, finding a red one in with all the green ones, and suddenly going out and slandering the store to everyone you know.

Edit: And all of this talk of Subway and papaya’s made me hungry,

(edited by Satya.1543)

Treeline.3865

Just stop it.

Actually it’s more like I bought an ASUS laptop. Then I used it for 3 months until the seller takes away my ASUS and gives me a MacBook instead. And then I’m like NOPE.

NaughtyProwler.8653

An anology that would make more sense in this case is getting a bag of yellow papaya’s, and getting home, finding a red one in with all the green ones, and suddenly going out and slandering the store to everyone you know.

How do I leave with yellow papayas and come home with only green and red ones? Did someone steal my yellow ones? That ain’t nice at all man.

Kumu Honua.2751

Just stop it.

But that papaya was supposed to be the papaya to end all papayas. I didn’t ask for an orange, I’m actually allergic to oranges! Papayas are the only thing that my tummy can handle.

The orange is an optional component to your purchase. You can do whatever you like with it. You can throw it in the trash for all you like.

Please keep it up. They only get sillier with time.

Satya.1543

How do I leave with yellow papayas and come home with only green and red ones? Did someone steal my yellow ones? That ain’t nice at all man.

Gold Famers, man. They steal anything.

NaughtyProwler.8653

Just stop it.

The orange is an optional component to your purchase. You can do whatever you like with it. You can throw it in the trash for all you like.

But my original papaya went rotten when you threw that orange into the mix. How can I enjoy my papaya when that orange contaminated it and made it spoil man. How? It’s rotten. My tummy hurts now because of it. The orange is still there, sure, but I can’t eat that orange! It’s bad for me.

Treeline.3865

It’s like you are silly. But then 3 months after someone rustles your jimmies. You are no longer silly, you are frustrated with the jimmies.

Kumu Honua.2751

No no no. The original papaya was perfect for you. You enjoyed it for MONTHS. If it was rotten you would have never enjoyed it in the first place and taken it back immediately for a refund.

Satya.1543

Man. Why must Subway be closed now. I’m hungry.

Derk.3189

No no no. The original papaya was perfect for you. You enjoyed it for MONTHS. If it was rotten you would have never enjoyed it in the first place and taken it back immediately for a refund.

Yeah but now the papaya has given you AIDS. Whether or not you choose to acknowledge it, its there.

This is the correct analogy.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Well, this topic has derailed nicely.

Kumu Honua.2751

Yeah but now the papaya has given you AIDS. Whether or not you choose to acknowledge it, its there.

Fine, lets go with this silliness.

It’s your choice to partake of the AIDS. You can still eat the papaya without getting AIDS if you so choose.

No one is making you get the AIDS. That’s an option available to you however if you would like.

StormGryffen.7638

Your analogy is wrong. 3 months later the Papaya gave you AIDS is what this is equivalent to. You bought a Papaya, you never asked for the AIDS.

This is a public service announcement. You can’t get AIDS from papayas. Probably. Paid for by The Papaya Society for a Better Tyria.

(edited by StormGryffen.7638)

Posted by: Zeke Minus.5720

Zeke Minus.5720

I’m sorry, but this person seems to be misinformed.

They’ve said they’re just adding a step between Exotic and Legendary, and I’d like to wager the armor progression will eventually be Common, Fine, Masterwork, Rare, Exotic, Ascended, and Legendary for both armor and weapons. The statement I linked explicitly says that they will not be adding any more item rarity tiers after these.

I’m assuming they’re going to keep adding armor sets to each rarity, but I’d trust their word that they don’t plan to keep releasing rarity tiers once they have all of the planned ones in place.

I can see how this may be misconstrued as “breaking their promise,” but that’s simply not true. They have always had Legendary-grade items in-game. It’d be reasonable to assume that they plan to add Legendary-grade armor sets as well.

Will people complain? Absolutely.

The only point people should begin to worry is when they start to go beyond Legendary.

Kumu Honua.2751

My job here is done. Up up and AWAY!

NaughtyProwler.8653

But I didn’t know an orange would go and contaminate my papaya. The grocery store man assured me “this is how the papaya is going to be, we ain’t like that other grocery store down the block always throwing oranges in with their papayas”. If I would have known that he still put an orange, hidden away in my bag of papayas, boy oh boy I would not have bought papayas from that grocery store man, no siree not at all!

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

It’s your choice to partake of the AIDS. You can still eat the papaya without getting AIDS if you so choose.

No one is making you get the AIDS. That’s an option available to you however if you would like.

I seem to be lost. Which way to the Guild Wars 2 forums?

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

My job here is done. Up up and AWAY!

More people like you are needed good sir or madam.

Kumu Honua.2751

But I didn’t know an orange would go and contaminate my papaya. The grocery store man assured me “this is how the papaya is going to be, we ain’t like that other grocery store down the block always throwing oranges in with their papayas”. If I would have known that he still put an orange, hidden away in my bag of papayas, boy oh boy I would not have bought papayas from that grocery store man, no siree not at all!

Oh no. That orange wasn’t in with the papaya my good man. They specifically came to your home later and gave you the orange. Your papaya is still exactly how it was. Only now you also have an orange.

Satya.1543

Your analogy is wrong. 3 months later the Papaya gave you AIDS is what this is equivalent to. You bought a Papaya, you never asked for the AIDS.

This is a public service announcement. You can’t get AIDS from papayas. Probably. Paid for by The Papaya Society of Tyria.

That’s it, everyone stop this silliness!
The whole premise is silly and it’s very badly written. I’m the senior officer here and I haven’t had a funny line yet. So I’m stopping it.
This thread is over!

Derk.3189

YOU ATE THE KITTEN PAPAYA ALREADY. We already bought Guild Wars 2. Now they’ve shoved AIDS in our face. We can ignore it all we like, its still THERE.

Satya.1543

YOU ATE THE KITTEN PAPAYA ALREADY. We already bought Guild Wars 2. Now they’ve shoved AIDS in our face. We can ignore it all we like, its still THERE.

That poor kitten.

Kumu Honua.2751

Yep. The Aids is still there. Yet fortunately for you in this crazy mixed up universe of comparing games to Subway and Papayas and Aids…..you can choose to ignore the Aids because it’s optional.

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

“….exaggerating much? The Amazon rating is still pretty good despite the pathetic attempts to review-bomb it. You made it sound like the game suddenly had a 1.0 Metacritic or something, but it’s actually just 30-40 people review-bombing it on Amazon. That’s….really not that big a deal.”

I don’t remember you being able to change your review after posting it.

3 months, how many of THOSE were purchased before the 3 month mark where ANet said “screw y’all” and the reviews subsequently posted?

On a side note for the orange statement.

If you bought a paypaya, brought it home, put it in your fridge, and the seller came in and smashed an orange INTO said paypaya destroying it.

Yes you’d be pissed. This is what this is, something we did not want wrecked something we wanted.

(edited by GADefence.5634)

Derk.3189

No its not optional. Can I choose to update my game and remove every existence of Ascended gear on it? No. Even if I don’t choose to use ascended gear, the exist of it has implications in the world I play the game in. Whether it is that I have to wvw against ascended opponents or simply be accepted in a group that requires you to have ascended gear.

Ignorance isn’t bliss.

NaughtyProwler.8653

Oh no. That orange wasn’t in with the papaya my good man. They specifically came to your home later and gave you the orange. Your papaya is still exactly how it was. Only now you also have an orange.

That orange contaminated my papaya. Don’t matter how it got there. Someone could even have put it there by mistake with no harm intended. Maybe even a good samaritan-type. But that don’t make my papaya any less contaminated. That papaya is now so contaminated it gives me the kittenie-jeebies.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

Thats not cool at all. Lambasting a game on a retail site because of a patch you didnt approve of? The game was $60. And I am sure most of you got your $60 worth of entertainment.

Posting reviews with malicious intent like this messes with peoples livelihoods. Those programmers, engineers, designers, and testers have wives and husbands and kids. And out of sheer vindictiveness you are trying to take food of their tables for what? A hope of a roll back on a patch that in all liklihood was implemented from pressure by a publisher and investors?

That is petty. Especially near the holiday season. I have never been more disappointed and embarrassed to be part of a community than I am now.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Kumu Honua.2751

Nope. Your papaya is EXACTLY how it was before. Only now there is an orange there.

You never have to touch that orange. You can just stare at it with contempt while all the rest of the papaya buyers munch on the orange contentedly.

Treeline.3865

“….exaggerating much? The Amazon rating is still pretty good despite the pathetic attempts to review-bomb it. You made it sound like the game suddenly had a 1.0 Metacritic or something, but it’s actually just 30-40 people review-bombing it on Amazon. That’s….really not that big a deal.”

… Does it seem like it is over? Do you think, now that it was announced on forums there could be more reviews coming?

NaughtyProwler.8653

Nope. Your papaya is EXACTLY how it was before. Only now there is an orange there.

You never have to touch that orange. You can just stare at it with contempt while all the rest of the papaya buyers munch on the orange contentedly.

No it’s not. The papaya is contaminated. Why don’t you get that it’s contaminated? There is even a big ole WHMIS warning on it that says “don’t eat me!” because it has one of those Biohazardous symbols on it. This is definitely not the same papaya.

Posted by: dalendria.3762

dalendria.3762

Just read some of the comments. This is even more sad. Now WOW players are making fun of Arenanet for changing its design philosophy.

I think some people do not understand how strongly Arenanet’s leadership have stated their position against “gear stat progression.” I will not post it here but Mike O’Brien, Arena President, has made some strong statements just barely stopping short of saying MMOs with gear stat progression are not fun, are grindy and not doing it right.

Now he and the others who took that position look well…….. {fill in the blank} cause I do not want another infraction.

I feel really bad this has happened. I really loved this game and its original design. I was looking forward to seeing all the ways they were going to expand on the horizontal progression approach. Now this game is going down a “laughing stock” path.

Revolution has turned into Devolution.

Can you feel it? HOT HOT HOT

(edited by dalendria.3762)

Posted by: jamasont.4653

jamasont.4653

LOL, +1. Though I think it’ll go over their heads.

Satya.1543

Before I get back to actually playing the game and having fun, I just gotta say, this whole siutation reminds me of something I read, and saved, about a certain image board.

“Ok, Gonna explain something about /tg/ to you all, and nerds in general.

Nerds are some of the most opinionated people on the planet. Why? Because most of them have a head for trivia, and recall many disparate facts about several different topics. They always seem to know something about everything.

Herein lies the problem. This makes them think they know more than they do. How do I know this? I catch myself doing it too. I catch my friends doing it. It’s rampant on this board.

Why is this relevant? Well it means that nerds become very opinionated due to always correcting people that know less than they do. The issue is that then they run into people that know more than they do, and look kitten because most of them are used to being the ‘font’ of all rightness, and it butthurts them to no end that they are being shown up. Brains are supposed to be their forte, after all.

What this leads to is a bunch of howler monkeys wearing glasses sharing a board with one another, all used to being right all the time, and all used to being the smartest guy in the room (in their own mind, anyway). Clash is inevitable. And thus, we have /tg/, where we bicker and hate and can’t stop because we’re wired to be right. We’re wired to be Alpha Nerd.

Therefore, we can’t agree on anything, ever, as a whole. So we’ll never be able to self-moderate into an acceptable compromise, because each kitten here, myself included, thinks this is ‘my /tg/’. So we have to have our hands held by the mods/janitors.

And that’s /tg/ in a nutshell."