Amount of "story" coming with HOT?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

As the title says (sorry had to edit title as was too long, it was originally "any idea on the amount of “story” coming with HOT?") – any guess or has Anet made any comments on exactly how much of the story or living story will be part of HOT?

What I mean is, well it be a whole “expansion” worth? By this I mean in GW1 their “expansions” or whatever you prefer to call them were a whole story’s worth but yet I doubt we will be getting that.

Will it be the whole story dealing with Mordremoth or just a bite sized treat until they pick up the LS again? Will it at least be a living story’s season (example 1 or 2) worth? Again I doubt it probably.

I have already bought HOT so this is not why I am asking, just curious is all. Also I am running all my alts through LS 2 now to get them prepared so I am wondering as well how much work I will have to put them all through when HOT does hit lol.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

My original thought was that HoT would wrap up Mordremoth, and then once LS picked up again they’d head in another direction. It seems like a perfect method to me. Use Living Story to introduce us to to a dragon or another large threat, and then an expansion to give us a “big finish” to the storyline once you’ve built it up via normal updates.

But with recent comments by Anet about how HoT would be required for future LS chapters, I’m now doubting that theory. If future LS stuff is going to be taking place in the Jungle, then I dunno if Mordy will be finished in HoT or not. What else could take place in the Jungle besides him?

Paulytnz.7619

My original thought was that HoT would wrap up Mordremoth, and then once LS picked up again they’d head in another direction. It seems like a perfect method to me. Use Living Story to introduce us to to a dragon or another large threat, and then an expansion to give us a “big finish” to the storyline once you’ve built it up via normal updates.

But with recent comments by Anet about how HoT would be required for future LS chapters, I’m now doubting that theory. If future LS stuff is going to be taking place in the Jungle, then I dunno if Mordy will be finished in HoT or not. What else could take place in the Jungle besides him?

Yeah I was of the same thought as you, 1 dragon per expansion. But it just seems they have been dragging the story out for so long now I just doubt it. Yes sure the whole scarlet thing was testing ground but still, they just seem to keep dragging it on, perhaps to just keep us logging in lol?

TBH I would be happy if they DID take care of 1 dragon per expansion. Let us get through them all, and move on to something better. Really, dragons and zombies are just over done (over kill) in games these days. Everywhere you look it’s zombies and/or dragons. Lets move on already!. :P

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I make a prediction that mordy will be the end boss in last wing of the raids coming with hot.
Since they already said this.

*Timeline of the raid story?

After the Heart of Thorns main story, it is the next big challenge in the shadows.*

http://dulfy.net/2015/09/26/gw2-twitchcon-designing-raids-in-heart-of-thorns/

Paulytnz.7619

I make a prediction that mordy will be the end boss in last wing of the raids coming with hot.
Since they already said this.

*Timeline of the raid story?

After the Heart of Thorns main story, it is the next big challenge in the shadows.*

http://dulfy.net/2015/09/26/gw2-twitchcon-designing-raids-in-heart-of-thorns/

Oh dear, this will not end well. if you are correct there will be a lot of QQ on these forums.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

My guess is the story will be around as long as the Eye of the North story.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

My hopes are that we finish Mordremoth, mostly with HoT.

However, as we don`t know the whole nature of the dragons, several things can play out:
- Dead dragons aren`t dead till the dragons energy finds a new host and the place is filled, so we have to fight enemies till that is done.

- We beat the dragon, elect a new dragon, but still have to take care of remnants in the area. Like with Tequatle, some forces just go on rampage and we have to take care of them around the bloodstone for example.

- We dont beat Mordremoth, but get another story explanation why we cant, shifting from purely eldar dragon slaying, to finding a different method. Which means we will suffer another great loss that will change Tyria forever, or we are able to stop Mordremoths advance in some way (either by force or by negotiation)

Paulytnz.7619

My hopes are that we finish Mordremoth, mostly with HoT.

However, as we don`t know the whole nature of the dragons, several things can play out:
- Dead dragons aren`t dead till the dragons energy finds a new host and the place is filled, so we have to fight enemies till that is done.

- We beat the dragon, elect a new dragon, but still have to take care of remnants in the area. Like with Tequatle, some forces just go on rampage and we have to take care of them around the bloodstone for example.

- We dont beat Mordremoth, but get another story explanation why we cant, shifting from purely eldar dragon slaying, to finding a different method. Which means we will suffer another great loss that will change Tyria forever, or we are able to stop Mordremoths advance in some way (either by force or by negotiation)

Interesting thoughts. Negotiating with the dragons, now that could be a game changer. Up to this point we pretty much have thought of them as mindless beings just doing what they like. That or they considered themselves too high up there to even think/care what we do or try to do.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Considering the uproar that would occur if they locked mordy behind a raid or pushed him back to an LS release, I’m fairly confident that the HoT story will conclude with killing/dealing with the dragon (And hopefully it’ll be a better fight than Zhaitan)

The raid, given its position, will likely be a bloodstone related side plot, in the vein of mallyx’s relationship to Abbaddon. A final powerful minion that if not stopped would become as big a threat as the dragon, but a self contained story that can be easily ignored by the rest of the world.

LS2 will start the churn toward the next major foe, be that another dragon or something else.

Personally I’m hoping they’ll skip over the dragons for the next big story and visit some previously unseen areas of tyria, or visit some old mysteries (Who built the Eye of the North? Why? What is its true purpose? Is it a weapon to fight dragons? A cosmic library? A day spa for the gods? Just a mechanism to hand out skins with no real purpose? A Teleportation Device? I want to know!)

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Considering the uproar that would occur if they locked mordy behind a raid or pushed him back to an LS release, I’m fairly confident that the HoT story will conclude with killing/dealing with the dragon (And hopefully it’ll be a better fight than Zhaitan)

The raid, given its position, will likely be a bloodstone related side plot, in the vein of mallyx’s relationship to Abbaddon. A final powerful minion that if not stopped would become as big a threat as the dragon, but a self contained story that can be easily ignored by the rest of the world.

LS2 will start the churn toward the next major foe, be that another dragon or something else.

Personally I’m hoping they’ll skip over the dragons for the next big story and visit some previously unseen areas of tyria, or visit some old mysteries (Who built the Eye of the North? Why? What is its true purpose? Is it a weapon to fight dragons? A cosmic library? A day spa for the gods? Just a mechanism to hand out skins with no real purpose? A Teleportation Device? I want to know!)

Are you really sure there will be a big uproar if it is hidden behind a raid?

In my opinion the uproar will be big, if they don`t give us a satisfying reason to why we don`t kill the dragon.

Hiding it behind a raid or an group instance, if the fight is asking for it, would actually be fitting as this is still an MMO, which is a social thing.
The recent change to Zaithans fight is most likely contributed to the fact that they wanted as many people to be on the same page when HoT.

Sure it would be a bait and switch, however it is still reasonable, as they can`t just design content for solo players.

Narrative however that is another thing.

If they are able to play eveything out till we enter the enemies layer and kill/calm/stop it, then everything would be alright.

If however the story at the end feels unfinished, or even worse is being shifted to the next installment of the LS, then, i guess, more people will be upset.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Considering how much people complained about Zhaitan being a dungeon when the rest of the PS was solo instances? Yeah. I mean they Did make that path soloable for story integrity.

I would personally be cool with it being part of a raid, but Anet seems to have made the decision that personal story should be soloable from start to finish. If you put a dragon on the box, and tell people the expansion is about a dragon… people kinda want to fight the dragon.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Atharian.7092

Atharian.7092

I will not be thrilled if the story ends up being a part of a raid or something. Why? Sometimes I like to read dialogue, watch the cutscenes, etc. I’d like to do that the first time at least. In raids or dungeons though, its rush rush rush, skip skip skip.

Posted by: paintpixie.7398

paintpixie.7398

I’m hoping it will be a nice hunk of story.
And not click through conversations like LW…
I hope it’s well-done. That’s what I would expect from an expansion.
Only time will tell, though, I guess. ; P

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

Hoping it turns out like this.

I will not be thrilled if the story ends up being a part of a raid or something. Why? Sometimes I like to read dialogue, watch the cutscenes, etc. I’d like to do that the first time at least. In raids or dungeons though, its rush rush rush, skip skip skip.

Yeah, that’s my biggest gripe with dungeons and why I wish all the story modes of the dungeons would be solo-able, while the explorable paths stay as they are with (usually) requiring a full 5-man team.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m pretty sure Leah (and co.) stated the Raid stories were side-stories, and were not required (lore-wise).

This makes me doubt the story of Mordremoth’s death (or however he/it is dealt with) would be found there.

Paulytnz.7619

I’m pretty sure Leah (and co.) stated the Raid stories were side-stories, and were not required (lore-wise).

This makes me doubt the story of Mordremoth’s death (or however he/it is dealt with) would be found there.

Yeah I am on the same page here. The purpose of the raids is for the hardcore’s to get their challenge. We know that the hardcore’s are a minority here and the uproar would be far worse than the HOT pre-purchase without that extra char slot.

Seems like a few people expect/want Mordy to be dealt with in the Expansion. This is pretty much why I asked as I don’t remember Anet eluding at any way, shape or form to the exact purpose/amount of story that the expansion will indeed bring. Most of the hoopla has been about all of the other features coming with it. So maybe now we can get an inkling of that, please anet? I am not asking for an spoilers, good golly no! Just something. :P