An Alt-O-Holic's Request

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: archive.8406

archive.8406

Hello!

As the title implies, I have a problem with alts – I have oodles of them, but I just can’t seem to quit when it comes to being inspired to create/design new characters. It’s getting to the point where I am going to be hitting that cap with the new set I have in mind – but here’s where my greatest obstacle materializes. When I create new characters, I do so in sets, and each set consists of one of each profession.

Currently, from what I gather, the cap for character slots sits at 69 (70 in some odd occasions for people who picked up HoT), which leaves me with a gap in a final set for each profession. This leaves me either 6 slots left (where I am sitting at right now with 64 slots: 7 sets + 1 farm/throwaway slot), or 3 slots off the 8th set.

My question is: There has been increases in the max you can reach throughout the years, will there be plans to expand this sometime in the near future? I am itching to make my final set, but I don’t want to start what I might not be able to finish.

Thank you for any response! And is anyone else facing this issue? I feel like it’s a pretty weird one to have, but I’d be curious and interested to hear from other alt-addicts!

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

Posted by: Fivona.5061

Fivona.5061

64 Character ? What ?

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Yah I have 70 characters and I sometimes want to make new ones but can’t because capped.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I predict the cap will likely be raised when the next expansion comes out. It’s not a foregone conclusion, but I’d bet a few gems on it at least.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

waitwaitwait
800 gems a slot
65 bought
52000 gems (best discount was 40%) > 31200 gems.
So you paid anywhere between 31200 and 52000 gems for 65 character slots
duuuuuuuuuuuuude

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

archive.8406

What can I say, I have a passion for character creation + fashion wars. When I started playing, I bought a lot of slots through gold conversion – I remember buying my first character slot for… 2g roughly, if I remember correctly?

But yes, I fully admit that I have no control over this! I am hoping for a slot increase in the coming expansion though, while secretly hoping they will not let me reach a full 9 sets >_>.

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Two words for the OP:
Second account.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

There’s always people who exaggerate. Oh, the excessiveness of humankind. Where doest thou lead us? Take a chill pill and delete some of your chars, really. I am sure you have some you didn’t see or remember for ages anyways.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve never understood why they didn’t keep it to a multiple of 9 so people can have sets of each profession, or a multiple of 5 for sets of each race (I’m not sure which is more common).

I’ve also seen some people suggest 90 should be the cap, so it’s possible to make 1 of each race/gender/profession combination.

There’s always people who exaggerate. Oh, the excessiveness of humankind. Where doest thou lead us? Take a chill pill and delete some of your chars, really. I am sure you have some you didn’t see or remember for ages anyways.

There are definitely people who have purchased the maximum number of character slots. That’s how we were able to find out there was a maximum, at first people thought it might be infinite.

And like someone else mentioned early on gold – gem prices were much cheaper so a character slot was about 2g. Of course 2g was harder to come by at launch, but it was still pretty easy to get character slots with gold if you prioritised it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

Posted by: Captain Prinny.6492

Captain Prinny.6492

I can undersign this, I may have “just” 40 Slots (I threw everything at Gems the first months and went bagslot-/bankslot-/charslot-crazy) but still find they could increase caps.

Especially banktabs as nearly everything is Accbound.

I only have 40 characters on main account because I HAVE a second (and third) account. Upgraded old GW1 accounts to GW2 when GW2 was down to 10€. But it isn’t the same, as because of sharing stuff (acc bound/ masteries/ story progress / Skins /BLC Keys and Skins etc)…

Oh and please give us Ascended bags (22 slots) and Legendary Bags (25 Slots) with the new Expansion…..that would be ascended crafting and legendary crafting I would subscribe 101% too :-)

(edited by Captain Prinny.6492)

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

waitwaitwait
800 gems a slot
65 bought
duuuuuuuuuuuuude

Well game has been out almost 5 years. That’s under 1000 gems a month in char slots which seems pretty reasonable if you think about it.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

Two words for the OP:
Second account.

I concur. There are several benefits to having a second account and even to “starting fresh” again.

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I’ve never understood why they didn’t keep it to a multiple of 9 so people can have sets of each profession, or a multiple of 5 for sets of each race (I’m not sure which is more common).

I’ve also seen some people suggest 90 should be the cap, so it’s possible to make 1 of each race/gender/profession combination.

A multiple of 45 would make sense to accommodate the various ways of designing new characters. Sure, the game only has 2 genders now but plan for the future …

Anyway, I have 15 characters. Each race and armor class. That means some professions have 2 characters and some 1, however there will ALWAYS be some professions you like more than others.

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Two words for the OP:
Second account.

I concur. There are several benefits to having a second account and even to “starting fresh” again.

Beyond login rewards and a scratch pad for trying out ideas?

I keep a client with my second account’s credentials in a virtual machine. When dayend is coming up I launch it and collect whatever is the reward.

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

Posted by: seacanari.4583

seacanari.4583

As a fellow alt-a-holic I approve of the cap being raised even though I’m probably going to never reach it. (My guildies and especially my husband have capped me at 27 characters until I can prove I can get map completion on all of them and I’m keeping my word)

I’m an ingame cosplayer so getting ideas all the time is killing me.

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

archive.8406

I don’t mind being patient about this, but I am looking forward to news about this in the near future hopefully. If not, I suppose I will have to potentially pick up another account – and I’ll have to weight the pros and cons of doing so. I would still prefer to keep everything on one account, for me… getting a new account just means I could have even more space for characters, and that has proven to be a dangerous thing!

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

I have no idea how you come up with so many character names… if I had that many character slots I’m fairly sure about 50% of my play time would have been spent staring at the character naming screen, with another 20% for the rest of the character creation process.

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

Posted by: Mercure.5689

Mercure.5689

Two words for the OP:
Second account.

He also plays this game for “Fashion Wars” however, as he has stated in an earlier post. A new account would also mean he has no access to his old wardrobe, so I’m not sure that’s a solution to his issue.

But yes, there are definitely some benefits to having a second account, such as the daily login rewards. There are also some drawbacks though (such as having to buy infinite tools again (account-bound), no access to the wardrobe of your other account etc.), so whether it is a solution or not depends on the player.

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

Posted by: Bjarkov.9751

Bjarkov.9751

Can totally get what you’re saying man, I also enjoy making alts a lot, I just have the small problem that whenever I make an alt I need to have them be in the best gear possible (Just ascended) and have world completion on them. As mentioned previously in other comments, they will like raise the character cap with the new expansion, which hopefully shouldn’t be that long.

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

Posted by: Eulefant.9624

Eulefant.9624

Altoholic too.
Have 69 slots, then the gemstore icon was removed.

Made most (60 or so) with in game gold.

I would love to make more, I have concidered a second account but I simply have too many goodies on my account (skins, outfits, gliders, minis, etc) and I dont want to start all over again with that.

Would love to see a raise in number :-)

I now work on world completes, at 25 currently.

I mostly play while logged in for work, late shifts from home on standby, so solo mapping and levelling is my game.

Then ofcourse there’s the rebuilding of old 80s when a new map comes out, sent 40+ to complete Draconis now

Good to see I am not the only one with the altoholism bug.

A few ideas:
Tiles for character selection screen
Sortable character selection screen
A nice title on getting 69, like “Altoholic”
and last but not least

more character slots
I promise to mainly make asura …. they use less diskspace :-)

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

archive.8406

I would love to have a title like that for reaching the cap!

At the moment, I am working on getting all of my characters at least geared from raids, and a set or two for high level fractals (all ascended), it’s nice to have flexibility to play all sorts roles for PvE (PvP and WvW is another goal too).

I have my next set all designed up with names picked out, which always gets me super excited, but I keep holding off because I won’t be able to make them all on my one account. I’m keeping my fingers cross for a slot increase in the near future – I’m good with anything that puts my above 72+!

90 is the perfect number though, even if it means I’ll end up making more asura ;_;.

Also, another alt-o-holic request: MORE face & hair options!

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

waitwaitwait
800 gems a slot
65 bought
duuuuuuuuuuuuude

or farmed the gold for them ; ))))

An Alt-O-Holic's Request

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Much like theres a cap in bag expansions, shared slots, bank expanders etc. Anet for w/e wont remove/increase this cap and let us just buy more.

Same with magic find cap ;-;