An Alternative to the “New” character system

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

Summary Since ANet likes the idea of gradually introducing new players so that they can better understand the core workings of the game, let us differentiate between new players and new characters.

New Player: A new player buys the game, they are completely lost so the intention was to ‘KISS’ the onboarding process so that it was much more understandable. The Learning Curve was altered from steep to shallow to facilitate an ease into the system. Ok, I get that and maybe that is a good thing. After leveling 5 L80s, I honestly had no problem with the game mechanics, as you just learned as you go. But I guess enough people in their focus groups did have an issue, thus the new system.

New Character: Now unlike the New Player, the New Character has to be broken up into 2 separate groups.

1. New Character for a New Player
  2. New Character for an Experienced Player

So a new character for a new player may need the gentle hand holding as described above; however, a new character for someone who has already been through the system does not need or probably want that same kind of tender loving care.

Proposal: If you want to keep the gentle, quantitative easing into the game for brand new players, as you wish. Not my cup of tea but so be it.
But, for players who have:

• Already leveled a character to 80
  • Have been actively playing for a stipulated period of time
  • Have X number of Achievement points
  • Or, just want the ‘Beginner’ system turned off

I think it is best to put these people back to the old system of leveling.

Conclusion: Forcing a Highschool Senior to repeat Kindergarden just because she moved to a new school, seems somewhat… counterproductive.

Reflection: A few months ago I bought a character slot for key farming. Not sure if it is true, but I hear that opportunity has been curtailed. As it turned out I did not like to repeat that process over and over so no biggy. So now I have an unused open character slot. I could use this slot to level up a new alt but alas, I possess no desire to fill it.

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

Simple option: remove the new character changes once the account has a character that has reached level 80 (or even level 60 tbh).

You don’t need your hand held once you’ve leveled one character

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

I wouldn’t want to see this current tutorial even the first time.

Completely optional, fine. I don’t care. But I would not want to see it if I was starting the game now.

edit: I want to add, I might even go through a tutorial out of curiosity on a later/temporary character but generally I like my freedom. :/

let the sky fall

(edited by Traced.3495)

Posted by: Galespark.7835

Galespark.7835

I agree that this should be optional, at least to people who already have some experience, but preferably to everyone. Had you allowed me to choose systems when I created my first character, the possibility of choosing this extremely level-gated tutorial would not even have entered my mind. As it is now I really pity new players that will not know the awesome feeling of freedom I had when I started.

Also kudos to the very constructive suggestion in the midst of a forum outrage, I hope it gets considered.

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

As they think one has to unlock nearly everything in this game nowadays, it would be at least a big relief if they would just let us unlock the ‘experienced leveling mode’ as soon as our first character has reached level 80.

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

As I recall from GW1, after completing character creation, Kormir gave me the option to “Take the Shortcut” and skip the whole Tutorial process as I deemed that “I am confident in my abilities.”

Now in GW2 terms, when I first come barreling out of Divinity’s Reach, I could Talk to Corporal Beirne and either:

• Continue in the Tutorial mode/New system
    Corporal Beirne: Everybody get to the inn! We can protect you at the inn!
  • Or leave the tutorial instance and enter Queensdale proper via Original system.
    Corporal Beirne: Ah, thank the Six. The Hero of Shaemore has arrived!