An Approach to Fishing!

An Approach to Fishing!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Robotmoxie.4025

Robotmoxie.4025

I did a little searching, and while I suspect that the topic already exists somewhere, I couldn’t find it. So I apologize for any redundancy between this topic and a topic I couldn’t find, that you might have already read.

Let me start by saying I adore fishing mechanics in MMOs. It was my #1 pastime in World of Warcraft before I quit. Having said that, it would be wrong of me to ask GW2 to be like any other game. I do think that fishing as a gathering skill has its place, however. And I’d like to share with you my vision for it.

My idea for Fishing as a gathering profession is pretty simple, but… hopefully different enough that you’ll enjoy it. You know how we have gathering nodes we can see on the map: rocks for ore, leaves for plants, and logs for wood. Imagine little fish on that map, marking docks.

Docks could be placed along rivers and shorelines all over the world with… well, not what I’d call serious difficulty. You model it, you set up points for it in any map that has major bodies of water (so, virtually every map), you place it, and you assign it to be a fishing node.

From there, you make it “minable” like any other node. You go to the place, you press your activation key, and you Begin Fishing. That’s your basic interaction. What comes next is where things get a little hairier.

My idea is, what if interacting with a fishing node put a bundle in your hand, based on a piece of equipment? A [Fishing Net] or [Crab Pot] or [Flyfishing Rod] or [Hand Harpoon], that slots in next to your other gathering equipment. Based on that piece of equipment, the bundle in your hand would have different functions, and maybe enable you to catch different fish at a node.

For example, you could cast your net in Bloodtide Coast and catch shrimp. (I’ll get into how it could tie into the Cooking profession shortly, don’t worry.) Let’s say that these Shrimp function like some special food, in that you can eat them basically right away, and get a tiny buff. Like +3% Magic Find or “Gain Health on Kill.”

What this would mean is, let’s say you’re level 45, and you’re down in Bloodtide. You don’t have any food on you, you’re not even a Chef, but you stop and fish, and you can buff yourself a little. It’s something extra to do in the zone, that rewards you for participating in its function.

Similarly, let’s say your gathering tool is a crab trap. What if when you recovered a crab with it, it was a living, hostile NPC? So you fight it, and your reward, along with the gray item [Crab Meat], is a nice blue [Crab Claw], which you can use in a Cooking recipe. (Along with some nice butter, garlic, and salt.)

Everyone can gather, and I know how Arenanet likes to gamify their video game, for obvious reasons. In my mind, this would be a really fun way to do it. You choose how you want to fish, and on some level, that lets you determine the kind of loot you receive from fishing. It gives the player a level of agency and choice, which is always nice.

Now, on to cooking. I’m sure we’ve all had an interest at one time or another of how to get Cooking from 400 to 500. Fish, to some, seemed like a great option. And I absolutely agree! However, I don’t think “you start using fish at 401” is very fun for new players, especially the kind that’ll be traveling all over Tyria to explore maps and enjoy the different fishing nodes. For that reason, I present the following idea:

The Surf and Turf Update!

Imagine a patch in which Fishing and the update to Cooking is introduced. Heck, imagine it comes out with HoT or it’s part of a mastery track if that helps you imagine. Distributed throughout your typical Cookbook are new recipes at all levels, making use of different fish that can be found at different places all over the world. (Further encouraging the continued exploration and interaction with Tyria in HoT, of course).

But then you get to 400. As you do. And you see that [Cup of Potato Fries] has been relabeled an Ingredient. In addition, you have a recipe for [Tempura Batter] and some [Trout Filets] you’ve been saving up. Suddenly you can make a [Plate of Fish & Chips]!

And it goes on like that. Turn your [Boiled Shrimp] into a [Plate of Avocado Shrimp Tartare] with the appropriate ingredients. Make yourself a big protein-rich [Platter of Steak & Lobster] for the whole dungeon-running squad. You get the idea.

I really, honestly adore the creativity of the Cooking profession, and of course Fishing seems like the most reasonable way to carry it forward, but the point I want to make most of all is that Fishing can (and I think should!) be a lot of fun for everyone, even the non-Chefs. To me, this whole process would be a pretty cool way of achieving that.

Let me know what you think, if you could! And if any devs are watching, you’re welcome.

(edited by Robotmoxie.4025)

An Approach to Fishing!

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I wouldn’t mind Cooking 400-500 to include fish. I’m sure the Cantha-lovers would adore “sushi” as an item.
We don’t really need a fishing pole, though. Just dive into the water and catch your tuna!

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

An Approach to Fishing!

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

Let me start by saying I adore fishing mechanics in MMOs. It was my #1 pastime in World of Warcraft before I quit.

Sorry but i couldn’t get past that. Fishing was one of the things i hated most about wow. An activity that isn’t designed to be fun. Just a time sink. You realize while you are doing it, it is the equivalent in real life to watch a drinking bird do it’s thing and tap your leg everytime it drinks?

How is that fun or why would anyone want to do it? Please explain!

An Approach to Fishing!

Robotmoxie.4025

Honestly? It was relaxing for me. I didn’t have to be fully engaged, but I could watch the water, get some loot- and sometimes it was fun loot, like an X-pounds trout I could hold in my off-hand slot. I just liked it. I play MMOs to relax, primarily.

However, I do urge you to get past that. What I described in my post is actually nothing at all like Warcraft’s design, because I am specifically interested in the way it could be done that would best suit GW2.

An Approach to Fishing!

Posted by: abbetd.5912

abbetd.5912

Let me start by saying I adore fishing mechanics in MMOs. It was my #1 pastime in World of Warcraft before I quit.

Sorry but i couldn’t get past that. Fishing was one of the things i hated most about wow. An activity that isn’t designed to be fun. Just a time sink. You realize while you are doing it, it is the equivalent in real life to watch a drinking bird do it’s thing and tap your leg everytime it drinks?

The only reason I leveled fishing to 600 in WoW was so I could get the raft to make chasing down evermaw easier. Hated it!

An Approach to Fishing!

Rauderi.8706

Heh, I have a love/hate relationship with WoW-style fishing. I did it way back in Wrath because I mained hunter, and it was the easiest way to feed my pets (when that was still a thing). In my headcanon, my character retired to the Barrens to sit with his tiger and fish all day. =)

But, it’s also a deliberate time-waster. :\ I get how it can be relaxing, though.

I wonder if ANet could make a fishing rod “toy” or bundle. Or maybe even a little stool you can sit on that starts the character fishing. =P

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

An Approach to Fishing!

Robotmoxie.4025

But… what do you guys think of my idea, is why I made this thread. :\

Sorry, I don’t mean to sound so quickly discouraged, I just kinda… poured a fair amount of effort into organizing this whole thing in my post, and it seems like everyone’s hung up on the idea that I enjoyed WoW fishing.

An Approach to Fishing!

Rauderi.8706

Honestly, I’d love to see a return to underwater support. Redesign the skills that didn’t make it to underwater, etc. I was amazed that GW2 had the best underwater experience of any MMO I’d played (even it was still kind of lackluster).

I look at the ambient fish swimming around, and I just want to grab them and bite them. …because Charr. }]:3

I suppose my point is sit-and-fish seems a little passive for the GW2 experience. I could see maybe having large pools of fish and going at it spear-fishing style, where you have to spot-target the fish to get them.

Overall, though, I think the idea has merit, so don’t get discouraged. I’m not sure how broad the devs could make such an idea, but I could see them working in fishing nets, at least.

Many alts; handle it!

An Approach to Fishing!

Posted by: uru.7983

uru.7983

love the idea.

An Approach to Fishing!

Robotmoxie.4025

I was concerned about “sit and fish” myself, which is why I wanted the bundle concept. I mean, you are sitting on the dock, in my idea, but pressing buttons and having a different outcome based on your bundle struck me as more active than just pressing a button and receiving loot. I like your idea about spear fishing- maybe you have a small AoE ring, and that’d be the gathering tool bundle for that style of fishing, where you throw your spear and rope it back in to catch those big fish you see passive in the water.

There’s a lot that can be done. Bare minimum, I just hope I’ve come up with an interesting framework for it.

An Approach to Fishing!

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I’m against fishing in the game mainly because we have underwater combat, and we can get the ingredients for chef by simply diving in the water and hunting fish with your Trident/Spear/Harpoon Gun. It’s a lot more exciting than dangling a rod and waiting for something to bite!

Also, if this does get implemented, why stop at fishing? Why not have other forms of farming, such as sheep shearing for wool scraps? Or goat milking for milk cheese and butter? Or having bee hives for honey? The possibilities are endless!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

An Approach to Fishing!

Robotmoxie.4025

My reason would be that at some point, it becomes too granular. The reason I chose to focus on fishing in particular is because we already have sources of fabric and butter, but fish are more or less missing. I took that as an opportunity to slot in something interesting that I think would be suitable for GW2, rather than… well, try to make underwater combat more rewarding and enjoyable (that’s its own problem that I’m not prepared to approach) or simply lift an idea from Jagex.

An Approach to Fishing!

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

This reminds me of something I came up with in other fishing thread that I believe fits GW2 better than how fishing is in most mmos:

Fishing should work like this:

• Requires talking to an NPC in your race’s starting area to get the character’s first fishing rod.
  • Rod variations with different functionalities are unlocked with all sorts of challenges all over the world, including getting achievements and training masteries. Some rods will have level requirements, while others won’t.
  • There would also be rod skins to override their default looks.
  • Different rods variations and rod skins are selected in the wardrobe.
  • Once a character has unlocked fishing, all unlocked rod skins and all rod variations are available to them as soon as they reach their level requirement.
  • Instead consuming rod uses like the other gathering tools, it uses ‘bait’ gathering tools that have 50 uses that is tradable, and can be crafted with the Cook discipline. Higher tier fishing nodes require higher tier baits.
  • There would be everlasting baits in the gemstore and from ascended level 500 cooking crafting for reasonable prices.
  • To fish, you don’t simply use the node and watch it go. When you use the node, you enter cinematic mode (invulnerable and can’t see other players or their effects so they can’t troll you by getting in the way or pulling enemies on you) and get in first person, and start a mini-game with 5 skills in your skill bar. You have to time the skills to catch the fish… or whatever else is on the hook.
  • Fishing can give fish trophies, fish and other seafood, some jewels, pearls, corals and salvageable items like leather boots, scraps of metal and cloth; and a few types of junk.
  • Sometimes some amphibious sea creatures may spawm instead getting an item drop. The creature will hold the drop and must be defeated to get them. You may find yourself fighting an angry hylek, an infuriated krait, a disoriented quaggan, a skelk, a drake or even a karka. Even more rarely they will be veterans or even elites. However the they are defeated and regardless or anything else they may drop, they will also drop a chest only the fisher can open with the drops from the fish node that were ‘interecepted’ by the creature.
  • You have 3 attempts to catch a fish, but if you get a catch, the node is used up regardless of remaining attempts.
  • Failed attempts give “broken fishing hook” junk items.
  • There would be Fishing Masteries. Among other things, they can increase the number of attempts you get per node from 3 to 5, improve the skills to be more effective, and make some rare or difficult fish easier to find and catch.
  • Different regions will have different fish.
  • There would be one basic fish collection per region, plus a rare collection unlocked with the rewards of each basic collection.
  • Fishing would be added along ascended and legendary cooking.

Hm… yup.. I think that’ll do it.

And a followup.

[…]

As I imagined it working in GW2, it’ll be a minigame in which you don’t wait to click or have to be AFK. It’ll be quicker, so you don’t have to spend more than 5-10 seconds per catch. And you won’t stand all day in one spot. There would be a subsection of the Tyrian Explorer’s Society that manages fishing quotas, so you can’t fish more than once on each spot.

The minigame itself would be like a very short bell choir game with 5 skills instead of 8, and very short songs with 5-15 notes. And fish moves and rod counter-moves instead notes.
When you use the node, you get 7 skills. 1-5 for the minigame, 6 to start, and 0 to leave without using up the node, just in case you notice you brought the wrong rod.
So you can read the descriptions of skills 1-5 before starting with 6. For example, default rod:

• Reel – the usual reel.
  • Release – releases a bit of reel to ease tension.
  • Grip – Hold the rod tight.
  • Fast pull – Pull the rod fast.
  • Strong pull – Pull the rod firmly.

Each skill would have to be used based on what the ‘fish’ (a somewhat blurry shadow in the water) does. For example, a fish could ahve these 5 moves:

• Pause – The fish is tired. Use reel.
  • Pull – The fish is pulling hard away. Use Release so the line doesnt break.
  • Struggle – The fish is fighting in place. Use grip.
  • Jump – The fist jumped out of the water, use Pull Rod to make them skip closer without resistance.
  • Dive – The fish is going down! Use Strong Pull to counter! It’s super effective!

Different fish would have different moves at different timings, making their patterns easier or harder to predict and their movies easier or harder to counter.

Basically, a minigame that you quickly play on fishing spots while exploring the world. No AFK, no sitting around within some area. You fish in one spot, and go find the next one.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

An Approach to Fishing!

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Nothing beats Animal crossing fishing… Dark spots, weather/time based fish (individual sightings if possible, no fighting… Or fishing competition, either way) and tons of fish and reason to fish year around. Make them sell “decent” to vendors so you can relax and fish for some cash rather than spam stupid champions, I’d be a happy camper!

Also work them into legendaries, cooking, and so on. :P

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

An Approach to Fishing!

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I agree with you … in that WoW fishing is horribly tedious for reasons I’ve detailed in other fishing threads.

But you should have gotten past that. At least as I read the OP, the suggestion is to have it take no more effort than tapping any other Tyrian node, other than to make you take a small amount of time to select your tapping tool to customize what the node gives you.

I think the OP has done a good job of turning this into the more active game play GW2 embodies. This is certainly the closest I’ve seen to a fishing system I’d enjoy, though I’ll need to read it more carefully and try to imagine it in action to see what tweaks would improve it.

An Approach to Fishing!

Posted by: suburbanplankton.1079

suburbanplankton.1079

I think it’s a great idea, though I’m a bit torn on the ‘multiple bundle types’ idea. It seems to introduce unnecessary complications. The type of ‘fish’ that is gathered could just as well be determined by the location; you get crabs on a rocky shore, salmon and trout in a river, tuna and sturgeon in deep water.

Overall though, I like the idea quite a bit.

An Approach to Fishing!

Robotmoxie.4025

You know, you’re right, Plankton. And you gave me a super good idea: What if instead of a “fishing rod”/etcetera item, like I detailed in the OP, what if the “Fishing Gathering Tool” is a Tackle Box?

You could take all the different bundle skills I described, and put them on one bundle.

I’m with you on the “determined by location” thing, but I also want to make fishing seem less… random?

Like, okay- I fished a lot in WoW, like I said, and the worst part was being like at Fishing 45 and Cooking 50 and getting a bunch of fish that were either too high-level to cook, or too low-level to grant experience. You know what I mean? That wasn’t fun.

By having different ways to fish, with the Tackle Box, you can sort of… weigh the odds in favor of the kind of catch you want. Within that zone’s available catches, I mean.

What do you think? A [Tackle Box] takes a lot of the bloat out of my original idea for multiple tools, I’d be pretty happy with it.

Also, I say “zone’s available catches” because… well, maybe I’m overthinking it, but it seems like it would be easier (from a development perspective) to assign a loot table per zone instead of per node. Hence the call (within what I’m imagining) for different methods of fishing if you want to get a more specific variety at a node.

An Approach to Fishing!

Posted by: Ankushp.7245

Ankushp.7245

I like the idea fishing should be added into the chief craft. Sounds both fun and relaxing. It can also be turned into a simple mini game.

An Approach to Fishing!

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

One problem I see with fishing is that mining, logging, and harvesting can be done on any map—fishing technically can’t be done on every map. Fishing requires a source of water— and maps without sources of water typically mean adding sources of water and populating with underwater creatures, structures, etc. On existing maps with little water, that would mean the fishing nodes would be effectively limited to possibly small areas. I’m pretty sure that conflicts with the overall goal of making gathering spread out throughout a map.

An Approach to Fishing!

MithranArkanere.8957

One problem I see with fishing is that mining, logging, and harvesting can be done on any map—fishing technically can’t be done on every map. Fishing requires a source of water— and maps without sources of water typically mean adding sources of water and populating with underwater creatures, structures, etc. On existing maps with little water, that would mean the fishing nodes would be effectively limited to possibly small areas. I’m pretty sure that conflicts with the overall goal of making gathering spread out throughout a map.

Not really.

If you look at the new maps, although they do have metal and wood nodes, their harvesting nodes are completely different an unique.

Fishing nodes would be basically a new type of ‘harvesting’ node for food with some extras. And so some maps would have different fishing nodes, or even none at all. The same way only Southsun has passifloras and only the Maguuma Wastes have cacti.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

An Approach to Fishing!

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

Honestly I think you’re trying too hard OP. You’ve made a well though out concept that could work but I have to ask what is the point? This almost feels like a solution looking for a problem to fix.

If you want mats, you can already get them by just killing the fish and food items are so easily acquired through the TP that this seems like a needlessly elaborate way of getting them. From what I’ve observed, the people that use food keep stacks of it on hand and the amount of time someone might run out unexpectedly is small.

I think a better way to approach fishing is through a cosmetic change and/or toys. Think of all the costume brawl toys you can get that give you different skills to use. Instead of being a brawl weapon it would be a fishing tool. Instead of long term buffs that food gives you, it could grant a few seconds of a “silly” buff similar to candy corn. This uses already established mechanics and doesn’t involve massive dev work for a new UI, new objects, new mechanics, etc.

An Approach to Fishing!

Posted by: ArrogantHero.4965

ArrogantHero.4965

I was a little surprised that GW2 didn’t have fishing. Im sure the RPers wouldn’t mind having it.

An Approach to Fishing!

Robotmoxie.4025

Torsailr, I intentionally looked at currently existing designs (bundles, gathering nodes, simple loot tables) when designing this. There is no “new UI” or “new mechanics” involved. The only new object is a model for a dock, which could just as easily be a little flag, or some repurposed weapon model like a spear, marking the location where you can fish.

If you’re asking what the point is, the point is that I like fishing, I like GW2, and I thought it would be fun to play by GW2’s design rules and see if I could make a version of “fishing in MMOs” appropriate for the game.

I can see where you’re coming from, but at the same time, “the fish are already there” really doesn’t feel right to me. They’re white mobs, or neutral mobs at most. Low in population. And unlike crafting nodes, which every player gets their own copy of, people would fight over living NPCs if they were treated like crafting nodes.

I was having fun, thinking of a way to integrate a totally new form of gathering into the 1-80 player experience. That’s what I was doing. Just… having fun. I’ve got six or seven level 80 characters, and at this point I just blaze through zones so that I don’t have to travel slowly for Living Story stuff. So I wanted to think, “if I’m a player who has reasons to explore, be it map completion or PvE leveling, can a form of gathering bring something enjoyable to my gameplay?”

I tried to make a system that would make the answer to that question “yes,” because it wouldn’t be worthy of announcement- imagine, for a moment, a world where ArenaNet would adopt an idea like mine, and announce it as part of a patch- if it was Just Another Form of Gathering. If it was “approach node and just press F,” nobody would feel very strongly about it as something new added to the game. It would just be the vehicle for getting from 400-500 Chef. I just figured players would enjoy something that was a little more than that.

An Approach to Fishing!

Posted by: Battledoll.1803

Battledoll.1803

Great idea, I love it, although I don’t like fishing in real world. May be tossing in a chance to fish up treasure (like, e.g. a precursor)? That would be nice XD

An Approach to Fishing!

Robotmoxie.4025

I was talking with a friend about that yesterday, and came up with an idea for that “chance to fish up treasure” -or at least something special/more rare than the typical bait.

In the spirit of fishing skills being able to sway the odds toward one kind of loot or another, we came up with this layout for the Tackle Box Bundle:

1. Rod and Reel – Channeled (3 sec) – Standard Fishing Equipment [Loot: Standard Fish Types]
  2. Hooked Net – Channeled (3 sec) – Area Fishing Equipment [Loot: Multiple Small Fish/Crustaceans]
  3. Rope Spear – Channeled (3 sec- Throw is 1 sec, Retrieve is 2) – Powerful Fishing Equipment [Loot: Nonstandard/Large Fish Types]
  4. Crab Pot – Channeled (3 sec) – Special Fishing Equipment [Loot: Large Crustaceans]
  5. Glowing Bait – Charges: 10 – Buff (Duration: 5 Min) [Effect- Improve chances of catching rare fish with other Fishing skills]

You’ll notice that Glowing Bait has “charges.” Currently, my friend and I settled on them resetting at the same time everything else resets. Pretty unique for a skill, which is definitely something I’d worry about. The alternative is a five minute cooldown, or having it shave multiple stacks of durability off of the Tackle Box gathering tool. Which are both ideas to consider.

So in the example skill provided, the “charges” would allow for a combined 50 minutes of rare catches every day, not including the time it takes to travel from one spent node to the next. Goodness knows the system wouldn’t ask for anybody to stand in the same place for five whole minutes. That would be tedious.

Currently, I’m puzzling over the distribution of rare drops. Would it be more appropriate to receive a rare fish like getting a Malachite Pebble when mining Copper, for example, or should getting a rare fish replace the standard drop?

An Approach to Fishing!

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

There is a Fishing Rod data mined from the current last Patch as an item among other stuff, that will be coming somwehen in an other patch in the future.

There has also been already a fidshing rod in teh game fro mbegin on in the game as an environmental item, that you could find in one of those snowy norn region maps, but it provided no skills and locked your weapon skills to ? when holding it..

So when i found that thign in the past, i already had the impression, that ANet has had already from begin on the intention to give us Fishing, but due to havign to rush out the game due to NCSofts pressure, so that it could have been released in 2012 for the so advertisement important “year of the dragon”, that wa back in 2012, ANet had to remove alot of planned content, so that they were able to release the game in 2012, which is also the reason, why we still have until today no polymock, have no Bar brawls and no other of the announced racial town activities, that should make towns to very populated attractivities, that you want to keep visiting permanently every now and then…. cough

Heres that info:

DON’T CLICK IT IF YOU DON’T WANT TO BE SPOILED
http://dulfy.net/2015/03/31/gw2-upcoming-items-from-march-31-patch/
And that the item Code:

[&C0cXAAA=]

I seriously hope, that they have to do with Cooking Rank 500 and that we need to do some fishign to get certain (not all, but just some are enough) materials, that would be required for the new cooking recipes to make Cooking 500 with some new quality recipes kitten far we have only fine and masterwork recipes, but no rare, exotic or ascended/legendary cooking recipes, when Anet could make them so easily by recycling some older cooking recipes, but just giving them alot longer durations like 3-6hours (naturally lesser than 12, so that the gem store item, that expands duration to 12hours doesnt become obsolete)
Or through addign new unique effects that weren’t there before like Slayer Effects, that increase damage and reduce damage from specific targets or something, that increases your maximum Endurance, so that peopel can dodge more oftenly, before running out of endurance makingm it say max 4 dodges instead of 2.

Im pretty sure, anet can come up with quite soem useful new effects for higher quality food for Cooking 500 with new cooking recipes including variosu kinds of seafood materials like various eatable fishes, crabs, shells and so on …

If it ends up like a super fun activity in itself, like the Breath of Fire Serries Fishing Activity, then it can be only awesome. But Anet could get also very good inspiration fro mthe Dark Cloud 2/Chronicle Fishing Gameplay in regard of gameplay mechanis/ lures ect. and the angling mechanics to make the result beign alot of fun to play, rather than standign around just only somewhere pressing skill buttons 1-5 randomly and hoping, that you reel in something good at the end based from RNG, what would be boring or lettign it end up like the other material collecting jobs where you need just to press once F and watch ,how you automatically collect in some random fishes..

please NOT this way thx

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

An Approach to Fishing!

Robotmoxie.4025

The point is to create a new Gathering ability, not a new Activity.

If I wanted to create a new Activity, then a Fishing activity would be based on the current infrastructure of costume brawls and minigames.

However, this is a form of gameplay intended to introduce a steady flow of new items to the game’s economy, in a similar fashion as Mining, Harvesting, and Logging. I appreciate your enthusiasm for Activities, but it was never my intention to design one.

My intention, to reiterate, was to create- as the topic’s title suggests- an approach to fishing which aligns with current ingame conventions for gathering.

If you wanted to add tiered materials like a standard crafting discipline, that’d be about six or seven items. But because the discipline we’re most likely to work with is Chef, more than a dozen items wouldn’t be a stretch.

The system as it’s currently imagined allows for a thematically appropriate approach to Fishing as a means of gathering resources. More complicated than Mining or Logging, but less complicated than a Costume Brawl. The idea is to reach a sweet spot where it’s interesting enough to enjoy, but not many times more complex than the other Gathering systems it would work alongside.

I appreciate your insights and your description of what kind of fishing system you’d like, but I feel like it’s worth saying again that the design detailed in this thread isn’t meant to be a minigame. Just a slightly more nuanced form of Gathering, to make the act of Fishing not seem like a chore, if it were to become a Gathering skill.

An Approach to Fishing!

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

You know, Fishing can be simply both at the same time, or???

An Activity, that simply rewards you in the end with Cooking Materials.

If ANet would just implement Fishing in the same borign lame way like chopping trees, mining ore and collecting herbs, it would be such a wasted opportunity to make out of fishing something better, that makes alot more fun and could be more complex and depthful how it should be, rather than just pressing F only and watching, how you receive 3 randoms fishes within 2 seconds.

Thats all what I said. Fishing can simply be both mechanics at the same time.
A source of materials, whiel also beign at the same time a funny and complex activitiy, that simply doesn’t work like all the other Activities that are more like Achievement Minigame.

Fishing would be an activity, thats no Achievement Minigame, but more a Material Minigame with just a more fun and complex mechanism behind of it, than just pressing once for lazy people only F and watching you get your materials without actually done anything for the materials, as it requires no skills.

I think people should do something more for theoretically beign able to create with the materials they receive later the best buff items of the game than just pressing F only to get what they need.

PS: other pluss side of my suggestion is, in my way Fishing could be also a nice Gold Sink at the same time, wen players need to buy various kinds of lures to be able to catch the stuff they want

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

An Approach to Fishing!

Posted by: Pockethole.5031

Pockethole.5031

I support but… I dont know if GW2 will make it true.
WHY DID YOU HAVE TO REMIND ME OF WOW FISHING?
Now… should I redownload it… or what… omg… argh… sigh… gosh!!!!!!!! if only there was no subscription!

An Approach to Fishing!

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

well they DID datamine a fishing pole recently…

An Approach to Fishing!

MithranArkanere.8957

The point is to create a new Gathering ability, not a new Activity.

[…]

There’s no reason why you can’t have both. If just you want new nodes, I’d much rather have cloth an leather ones.

But many people would agree that fishing would be more fun if it was a little bit more than getting to a node and pressing F.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

An Approach to Fishing!

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

I wasn’t a huge fan of fishing in WoW, but it was nice as an option. I did really like fishing in Rift though. A couple of main differences is that in Rift, you had the chance to fish up artifacts. Collecting these artifacts would fill out a collection that rewarded you various prizes. This would be so simple to add in for GW fishing, because they have the collections already in place. There were also daily turn ins. Not just one fishing daily, but each zone had a daily turn in and you could pick your reward – i think it was food or housing item. And of course you could just use the fish for cooking too. Or to craft different lures that boosts chances to fish up specific items. If they implemented fishing, I would really like to see it incorporate a lot of the Rift ideas.