An Open Letter to the Orders of Tyria.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

To the Generals of the Orders of Tyria, I come to you with great regret, that I have grave suspicions that Marshall Trahearne is in fact in league with the minions of Zhaitan, and is deceiving the Orders of Tyria.

My suspicions began at Claw Island, the largest incursion of Orrian undead in recent history. While Trahearne claimed to be there to warn the Lionguard of the impending attack, I could not help notice he took no active part in the combat. A self professed necromancer, he made little attempt to destroy the undead, or provide minions – instead preferring to watch his fellow man die and reap their souls as is the Necromancer’s way.

While it is true that he “attacked” the undead, the eerie bolts of darkness he threw appeared to have no effect at all, and the undead ignored his presence entirely.

But the most truly kitten ing evidence came recently during the ambush at the ruins of Fort Rankor. Again, while Trehearne was present the Orrians launched a massive incursion, headed by a lich no less, deep into the Shiverpeaks.

I observed early on that there was a bone wall behind the fort, a structure that by Trahearne’s own words some days earlier, implied the presence of a lich, and therefore a field commander to direct the Orrians. Despite this observation Trehearne insisted on treating the incursion as mere random undead and to push ahead against the hordes. Upon rescuing a second squad from the caves (and with some casualties), we retreated to safety via the path of original ingress.

However Trahearne insisted we return to the caves, despite the area being full of hostile undead, and exit via a different entrance. Upon reaching the second entrance, and exposing the civilian team and their cargo to significant danger Trehearne expressed “shock” that the exit was barred by a bone wall and there might be a Lich present – something I already ascertained before we even rescued the scholars. Whereupon we were ambushed and Trehearne ordered us to once again, leave via the main entrance.

The close proximity of hostiles meant area-effect arcane fire was extremely effective in destroying massed groupings of them, however, whenever we had a kill zone established, Trehearne would utilise what appeared to be a mesmer spell (despite his “necromancer” training) to deflect the enemies away from our fire and spare their un-lives.

Eventually we exited for a second time, back through our original path – only now, finding ourselves ambushed by a Lich and his entourage. Trahearne traded some weak insults but promptly ran away and was not seen for the remainder of the engagement. Despite the odds stacked against us, we were able to destroy the ambush force and the commanding Lich. Whereupon Trahearne was welcomed with open arms by the survivors who heralded his “excellent leadership”.

Field Marshall Trehearne is at the very least, a woefully incompetent leader. But I believe the reality is far more sinister; his attempts to save Orrian lives, his personal experience amongst the Orrians, his persistent attempts to lead our forces into ambushes, his mesmer abilities and the way he commands unwarranted respect from those around me, leads me to suspect he in fact an Orrian mesmer seeking to destroy the Orders of Tyria from within and may even be controlling the minds of his operatives. It’s plausible, that he even used mind control to establish his dominance the pact in the first place, his leadership or tactical credentials do not appear to be adequate for the task.

- Warmaster Zizi, Vigil 1st Support Division.

(You have to admit, it’s not a good sign where the main character is so aggressively bad at his job, that you’re not sure if they’re setting up for a plot twist, or if he is simply badly written)

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

(edited by Ryuujin.8236)

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

Please no more Sylvari super villains.

(but I like your letter. In fact I would have liked this twist for LS1 over Scarlet any day.)

Posted by: Alex.9567

Alex.9567

Please no more Sylvari super villains.

(but I like your letter. In fact I would have liked this twist for LS1 over Scarlet any day.)

This.
would’ve been a great way to resolve the Trahearne fiasco, although it wouldve taken some real balls to try push another story with trahearne, imagine the potential flop that couldnve been if they got it wrong, guess thats why they chose to steer away from it.

Posted by: Saylu.8271

Saylu.8271

He is too apathetic to make a good super villian. However, I never like him. I want Trahearne to die of a tragic death in a future expansion so that he can get out of the big picture.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I started liking Trahearne a bit more after finally doing the sylvari storyline, because I was finally given a proper introduction to him.

However… it also brought it to my attention that EVERYBODY knows him, and it seems they all owe him a favor or two. Order of Whispers, Vigil, Priory, and even the largos, they all know and respect him for various adventures and feats he’s done in his past. He’s also trained up to be a powerful necromancer, AND traveled Orr (before the Pact was there to help, don’t forget) to study it and the dragon until he’s considered THE expert on it.

All in 25 years of life? While also helping the sylvari race get going as one of the firstborn? Nope, I don’t buy it.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Ryuujin.8236

He’s also trained up to be a powerful necromancer, AND traveled Orr (before the Pact was there to help, don’t forget) to study it and the dragon until he’s considered THE expert on it.

Let’s not forget that once he gets his “sword of legend”, he also starts using Mesmer and Guardian skills, which seems to make him Tyria first triple-class character (exceeding even the dual class ascended of GW1)

Edit: On closer inspection his post-upgrade skill set has it’s own skill list, they just happen to look exactly like other class skills. ie. “Twlight Crash” is identical to “Illusory Wave”, “Maelstrom Strike” is identical to “Whirling Wrath”.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

(edited by Ryuujin.8236)

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

All in 25 years of life? While also helping the sylvari race get going as one of the firstborn? Nope, I don’t buy it.

Considering that Sylvari are born as able-bodied adults, 25 years does sound pretty plausible.
I mean, how long did it take our characters to become strong enough to bring the battle to Zhaitan? One year?

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Great letter, OP.
Also agree with Prophet – it would have been much better than Scarlet.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

Let’s not forget that once he gets his “sword of legend”, he also starts using Mesmer and Guardian skills, which seems to make him Tyria first triple-class character (exceeding even the dual class ascended of GW1)

Edit: On closer inspection his post-upgrade skill set has it’s own skill list, they just happen to look exactly like other class skills. ie. “Twlight Crash” is identical to “Illusory Wave”, “Maelstrom Strike” is identical to “Whirling Wrath”.

I had a similar experience with Caladbolg’s interactions. When he first got that sword, I thought the same. “He’s using skills from outside his profession?” Even just having a Necro with a Greatsword felt off. But after playing the personal story where I got Caladbolg for fight, I like that he could do that. It’s the sword’s power, and anyone can do that.

I think that’s one of the problems with the personal story. It seems like the story expects the player to have gone through specific personal story sections despite those sections being optional.

Posted by: James Mourne.2093

James Mourne.2093

Very interesting, though I believe you have just spoiled my current story mission as those walls of bone sound quite familiar.

I would also like to put this in before the plot twist is revealed that Trahearne is not just controlling the Pact, but that the entire plot of the game and all the actions that occur after you meet him is, in reality, just a powerful mesmer’s illusion he has spun around you to manipulate you into helping him save Tyria from forces only he can even begin to comprehend.

It explains so much!

Ryuujin.8236

But after playing the personal story where I got Caladbolg for fight, I like that he could do that. It’s the sword’s power, and anyone can do that.

I wasn’t even aware you could obtain the weapon :o – it appears the game puts far too many assumptions on the player character being a sylvari, as all the stuff about Treesus and the mystical sword Saladbowl appear to come out of nowhere if you’re any other race.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

I wasn’t even aware you could obtain the weapon :o – it appears the game puts far too many assumptions on the player character being a sylvari, as all the stuff about Treesus and the mystical sword Saladbowl appear to come out of nowhere if you’re any other race.

It’s even stricter than that… I think only Vigil sylvari actually get to use it. At a minimum, the wiki implies that. The sword is mentioned to all sylvari though.

(edited by Fenrina.2954)

Posted by: Nightingale.8364

Nightingale.8364

I think someone need cookies..here i have a few…

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

It’s even stricter than that… I think only Vigil sylvari actually get to use it. At a minimum, the wiki implies that. The sword is mentioned to all sylvari though.

Nope, it depends on the Order-based choices you make. If you do the final mission of that leg with the Vigil, you use the sword, but that still does not prevent you from choosing to join the Priory or Whispers.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I finally understand, before we fight back to reclaim claw island, Trahearne is so easy to take over the pact leadership where he should refuse because he is no general….

This is all clear to me now.