An idea for Ascended Gears

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: InfernoHero.5687

InfernoHero.5687

I have heard many people complaining about ascended gear crafting. Their reasons for doing so include:

1. Anet promised there would be no gear grinding in Guild Wars 2
2. The gear isn’t worth the work due to the fact that, once you acquire your choice of gear, you are then stuck with the stats. With balance patches happening very frequently, this is a large issue.

I may have a solution to both problems.

Make Ascended gear’s stats equal to exotic, but have the “incentive” of farming for ascended gear be that you are able to change your armor’s stats just like you can with legendary weapons.

A secondary option would be to make legendary armors and accessories that share the property of legendary weapons.

(edited by InfernoHero.5687)

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

I really don’t hear that many people complaining bout ascended. You are one of the few.
The problem is that this isn’t a gear grind. There is not reason whatever to get ascended gear and the benefit is so small it doesn’t matter. The only reason you need to get ascended would be high level fractals. but for the rerst it is totally optional.

If you need ascended to be a good player, you’re not a good player!

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: InfernoHero.5687

InfernoHero.5687

I really don’t hear that many people complaining bout ascended. You are one of the few.
The problem is that this isn’t a gear grind. There is not reason whatever to get ascended gear and the benefit is so small it doesn’t matter. The only reason you need to get ascended would be high level fractals. but for the rerst it is totally optional.

I’m not complaining. Sorry if it came off that way. To be honest, if I wasn’t so busy leveling my third 80, I’d have Ascended on my Warrior.

I’ve got a few guild members that had a discussion on the subject and we came up with (What I thought was) a pretty good idea, so I posted it here.

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

If they did that, people would start leaving the game because there would be “nothing to do” after you got your set. And let’s face it, it’s not like the Living Story is some compelling reason to stick around.

Posted by: Elmo Benchwarmer.3025

Elmo Benchwarmer.3025

Great idea, that is exactly how it should have been in the first place.

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

I just love posting this image in threads like these.

Can’t wait to hear people defend the next tiers telling me how necessary they were to improve the quality of the game.

Attachments:

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Not only will there be more tiers, but you’re going to have to pursue those tiers in order to get cosmetic items as well as stats.

Want the nice version of the backpiece from season two of Living Story? Craft to 600 to make it…

Posted by: nassaya.7109

nassaya.7109

Let me ask you this i love fractals and i love the teamwork with my guildies. But i have hard time to accumulate enough stuff to make armor for my ele and/ or necro. I got 1 staff but that took me 2 weeks to make in my vacation. And after those few months i wasn’t that lucky in lvl 49 no drop what so ever. I wish they did add Some more was to get it i’m not lucky enough for drops and don’t have enough time to make a full set for future increase of fractal level. So in a way it isn’t optional for what i like in this game but lack the time to do so.

Cheers.

Nassaya Shadowheart lvl. 80 Necro
Nassaya Fireheart lvl. 80 Ele
Far Shiverpeaks – Guardians of the Dutch [GOTD]

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

And in another 6 months that statement from Colin will be as old and as out of touch with the current paradigm as the Manifesto

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

I have a great idea. Let’s make a nice back item, best in slot.
You just need:

900 event items (time restricted, account bound)
5g
20 skill points
500 dragonite ore
500 Empyreal Fragments
500 Bloodstone Dust
30 obsidian shards
500 Watchwork Sprockets
15 ascended materials (cloth/leather/steel) worth a fortune and/or time gated
Crafting on 500
Some more crafting stuff

Sounds fun! That is the reward people want for just playing the game and after they played the event they farm their fingers off and enjoy that EVERYTHING worth a dime in this game is restricted by crafting.

God forbid we could have just nice things like http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sclerite_Karka_Shell with proper stats by playing the content. Nope, long live the elitism created in a game that was said to not have an item creep for BiS…

(edited by Kaiyanwan.8521)

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

I don’t know if you would call the people that posted in the 41 page long CDI “the few”. Of course not anybody was against the way ascended gear is implemented currently, but the fact that there was such a long discussion proves, that many people are asking for improvements. But – as always – the more time passes, the less people talk about it.

As I said on various other locations, I like that you have to do some work to get your first set of ascended gear. But after that there should be means to unlock stats (that can be grindy, if they want it). This gives people something to aim for after getting the first set, while still allowing for multiple builds and to some extend alts.
Then there should be a link from ascended to legendary by using fully unlocked ascended gear as a precursors, so that you can cosmetically upgrade ascended weapons. This of course prevents them from adding further tiers above ascended, so they have to make a lasting decision here.

(edited by Ignavia.7420)

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

These backpacks look to have come directly out of the CDI dicussion, with the ability to take the same item and promote it in stages until it gains endgame stats.

Its an experiment, and on the whole I think it’s been a lot better received than the process behind the Dyana/Grenth back pieces. Hideously rare recipes which still called for a vision crystal and 15 bolts of cloth (with NO alternatives for using leather or metal) and demanded 7 of the most expensive lodestones and 50g in the form of Icy runestones.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Guardian.5142

Guardian.5142

These backpacks look to have come directly out of the CDI dicussion, with the ability to take the same item and promote it in stages until it gains endgame stats.

Its an experiment, and on the whole I think it’s been a lot better received than the process behind the Dyana/Grenth back pieces. Hideously rare recipes which still called for a vision crystal and 15 bolts of cloth (with NO alternatives for using leather or metal) and demanded 7 of the most expensive lodestones and 50g in the form of Icy runestones.

Agreed. Dwayna/Grenth felt like it was just for the most wealthy and currently already maxed Ascended. Its certainly worth it for the looks, but the blade back piece allows the folks with first characters who just hit 80 to have something nice they can “grow” into something pretty awesome and customizable later on. I really hope they stick with this model and expand on it with many more color customizable “looks”.

What did ANET do when the sheer mass of the event ZERG was too much for the server to support?
They had to SPAWN MORE OVERFLOWS!

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I just love posting this image in threads like these.

Can’t wait to hear people defend the next tiers telling me how necessary they were to improve the quality of the game.

There’s the quote I’ve been after

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

You have to be joking right?

There have been countless threads on this…. it’s been one of the most hotly debated topics on this forum.

My opinion – can’t be bothered. The reward isn’t worth the work involved.

They need to make the gear drop in dungeons or something, but actually put in a chance that it will drop, not 0.000000000001% which is probably what it’s set to now.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

I loved upgrading my Temporal Blades back piece! It felt like progression and like I was evolving my own piece(which I was). A good way to keep them imo.