Ancestral Outfit and outfits

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Syrpharon.7491

Syrpharon.7491

With the introduction of the new Ancestral Outfit (that I haven’t got and probably won’t get) the problem of Outfit management is more present than ever.

On most of the races it looks good, but me, and other users on the forum, don’t like that it can’t be mixed with other armor pieces.

Now this brings the old problem alive. Some users here are happy with the new Outfit system, but it is indeed a step back.
While we can use outfits in combat now, we can’t mix them with other armor pieces or manage the single pieces. We can’t even mix different outfits together.
Personally, I don’t see what’s the problem in making it usable in combat, but selectable in its individual parts.

Now this problem may not seem a problem at all to some, or may not look urgent to others, but this is just an outfit, and many others will come, and this matter will surely arise again until it will be solved.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I guess there are some limitations to mixing and matching Outfits vs. regular gear. I’m not a Dev, so I don’t know how all that works. Not seeing a problem doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Maybe they will find a way to make it work in the future. =)

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Given these three options:

1) Mix and match, usable in combat
2) Mix and match, not usable in combat
3) Single style, usable in combat

…EVERYBODY would pick #1. That’s not an option we have, though.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Only because it isn’t given to us. It’s surely possible though, regardless of vague claims we’ve heard.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I just don’t understand why the existing town clothes didn’t get converted to outfits….even if they were randomly given extra pieces to make it a full outfit. At least he default town clothes should have been an outfit!

Mix & Match I’m happy to give up if it means usable in combat.

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Only because it isn’t given to us. It’s surely possible though, regardless of vague claims we’ve heard.

In the software world, we have a saying. “We can do anything you want, it’s just a matter of time and money.”

ArenaNet determined the resource requirements – whatever they are, and it’s not necessary to know for you to understand this point – were beyond what they wanted to spend.

(Edit: just a bit more color. The requirements here could be in terms of programmers, artists, modelers, or some combination of all of the above. Probably some combination of all of the above. I get the feeling that animating chest and leg pieces for all the gender/race/armor-weight combos is a substantial amount of work, so they try to stick to more universal glove+shoulder+boot+helm+back pieces.)

Individually, you don’t have many options. They knew this change would upset people. Now it’s upsetting people.

If sales of outfits are poor, that will send a message that people don’t like this system.

I was in game last night and ran across tons of people with this outfit. Anecdotal, of course, but it seems to be selling well. I know I bought it. It’s wonderful.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

(edited by timmyf.1490)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I bought it to escape male medium skirts and trenchcoats, it still looks cool though, but becomes more important when it’s literally the only slim-fitting skirt-less outfit/armor available to male Sylvari. Would buy plenty more like this.

To me it doesn’t seem too horribly difficult to mix things when they have the hide function working entirely. They could turn that into a decent enough fix till something better was found possible. When I first put the costume on and hit the head toggle my Headband showed up on my character with the costume (the head piece thief starts with). Unfortunately it was a bug, as I thought for a second this outfit was unique and allowed use of any headpiece. Anyways, they could add a button/s that could allow armor pieces to show through instead of costume parts.

Something like; Hide Outfit Helm and Show currently equipped Armor Helm, Hide Outfit Pants for currently equipped Armor Pants, and etc. Add a ‘potential clipping’ warning if you must since some things might, but a lot of things wont at all. Some costumes have leg/body connected~ well that could be fixed with some effort. This one specifically might be body+pants from the looks of it and considering it isn’t a full outfit like the others.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

The problem is that the armor models were created in a way that you can’t already mix and match light, medium and heavy armor.
So since Outfits can be worn by every class they would have in the end to make a light, medium and heavy version of it so that it can be mixed and matched.

And of course then we may have to buy all 3 different versions, and have to use transmutation charges for each part we want to use.

So i must say i’m not totally unhappy with the outfits since i simply just have to buy them once and can use them whenever i want on every character without having to pay anything again.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

ArenaNet determined the resource requirements – whatever they are, and it’s not necessary to know for you to understand this point – were beyond what they wanted to spend.

(Edit: just a bit more color. The requirements here could be in terms of programmers, artists, modelers, or some combination of all of the above. Probably some combination of all of the above. I get the feeling that animating chest and leg pieces for all the gender/race/armor-weight combos is a substantial amount of work, so they try to stick to more universal glove+shoulder+boot+helm+back pieces.)

They’ve already said why they did it, so that it would be easier to make new outfit sets going forward. I’m guessing that means that they don’t have to worry about clipping and such between parts any more, which is technically true.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

They’ve already said why they did it, so that it would be easier to make new outfit sets going forward. I’m guessing that means that they don’t have to worry about clipping and such between parts any more, which is technically true.

There is that, yes. Of course, now I have this idea buzzing around…

What if, after we got a full set of gear unlocked, we also got the same gear set as an outfit? For those who don’t mix and match, that’d be a godsend.

..wait, no, snag.. Outfits are usable by all armor weights. Urgh. I need to think more on this.

Many alts; handle it!
“Iā€™m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Big Tower.5423

Big Tower.5423

if anet made the chestpiece a standalone chestpiece i would be blessed.

7800 hours ingame, and counting.

Posted by: EgonVenkman.1907

EgonVenkman.1907

The ancestral outfit bugs me for two reasons.

1. Outfit – not armor. Hate how they did the whole outfit system. I see this being removed in a year or two and just unlocking the armor slot.

2. Female outfit- Another hooker-bot, stare at the boobies piece of armor. As long as the hormonal infused junkies keep buying these… we won’t get to see the true potential for a decent looking female armor/outfit. It could have looked worlds better and been a more standard Asian/Cantha themed outfit. There needs to be a difference between monk and nipple stickers.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.ā€
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-guild-wars-2-preview?page=3

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

2. Female outfit- Another hooker-bot, stare at the boobies piece of armor. As long as the hormonal infused junkies keep buying these… we won’t get to see the true potential for a decent looking female armor/outfit. It could have looked worlds better and been a more standard Asian/Cantha themed outfit. There needs to be a difference between monk and nipple stickers.

I… What? The Ancestral outfit is extremely tasteful. And for future reference… Just because boobs are hanging out doesn’t mean you need to stare at them. I mean, I know it’s natural to want to, but you don’t have to. People really gotta stop making sex appeal seem like such a bad thing…

As for what OP has said; I both agree and disagree. Although I can’t deny that I’d enjoy being able to mix and match these outfits, I’m just content we’re able to use them in combat, and that they’re still releasing new outfits on top of that. They’ve been releasing a lot of content as they are always doing. Best to be happy we’ve been granted our wishes even if not exactly as we’d imagined.
Give it time, maybe they’ll change it one day in the future. If not, don’t buy the outfits in protest?

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Posted by: EgonVenkman.1907

EgonVenkman.1907

I… What? The Ancestral outfit is extremely tasteful. And for future reference… Just because boobs are hanging out doesn’t mean you need to stare at them. I mean, I know it’s natural to want to, but you don’t have to. People really gotta stop making sex appeal seem like such a bad thing…

I disagree with the tastefulness, unless you use it in comparison of the other sets of armor released. This one is less streetwalker/mardi-gras, and more massage parlor. There is only one real reason Anet keeps making sets like this. It isn’t about desensitizing sex appeal, or any other sort of agenda (moral or otherwise). It’s about the money. It sells. It sells a lot. Which is why we don’t see the Man-kini or Thong armor on the guys. It is standard MMO fare, which wants to monetize its main demographic. What better way to do that than offer virtual naked ladies?

They won’t see any money from me on these types of outfits. But 1 person means nothing to Anet, only the vast amounts of aggregated dollars across everybody. Choosing light armor shouldn’t be a choice of monk/quite revealing/very-revealing/nothing(edit:zodiac). And truly tasteful armor sets for females won’t be sold for $$ until the player base stops thinking with their smaller non-brain.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.ā€
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-27-guild-wars-2-preview?page=3

(edited by EgonVenkman.1907)

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

If Outfits are easier for them to whip out without clipping being an issue, then why does their very first Outfit post-Patch have clipping issues?

• GW2 General World artwork: A+ (Excellent. Realistic settings that help create a mood and enhance immersion.)
  • GW2 Armor artwork: D (Almost a failure; Many unaddressed clipping issues, outsized floating shoulders, lack of variety and imagination, disappearing hair, etc.)

If they’re going to take away our Town Clothes, this is NOT a very good start for their replacement. They’ve got to have better quality control than clothing that clips with itself when the toon is just standing there doing nothing.

Attachments:

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

On the upside, I think the new Ancestral outfit looks really pretty on my Sylvari mesmer. It’s such an elegant change from the previous weird horns and fur armor sets (I’m looking at you, Lawless Armor).

Please make some outfits with foofy skirts next ANet (and a nice tux, for the boys), so I can destroy my enemies in style!