Anet & Community Thank You

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

After reading through many different video game forums , such as Diablo 3 and WoW. I have come to the conclusion that this forum community is by far more tolerant and respectful. The number of flaming forums on here are not as toxic and insulting to read.

Diablo 3 forums are like trying to listen to rival gangs talk with each other without being able to shoot. Extremely toxic community with insults and threats being thrown around every 3rd post (sometimes more frequent). Even reading some of the “helping” threads ends up in a giant war over nothing (or a missing calculation or something small).

So here is a big thank you to Anet and the GW2 Forum community for being more tolerant and respectful in the posts. The worst GW2 posts are similar to the best Diablo 3 posts!

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: pswendel.8179

pswendel.8179

That’s a refreshing perspective.

Ps: what do you have against necros and thieves? GRRRR

Suddenflame.2601

what you mean about necros and thieves? I got nothing against them. Unless that comment is directed at Anet lol

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Posted by: pswendel.8179

pswendel.8179

what you mean about necros and thieves? I got nothing against them. Unless that comment is directed at Anet lol

Was a joke – reference at your signature.

Suddenflame.2601

Which is why there is also thanks to Anet as well for keeping insulting posts on the low. If you read Diablo 3 forums there is some highly insulting posts (99% of them) and it far out of control. The entire posts just end up people insulting each other for 400 posts.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Yea, I agree. The community here is one of the big reasons I switched from Tera to GW2.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I spend most of my forum time in the General Discussion section. I find the posters in this section by and large match the OP’s description. The Profession Balance sub-board, on the other hand, can be quite a bit less … civilized.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Have you checked out D3 forums since ROS? I actually find them quite positive overall. And, this is reflective of the fact that forums generally reflect the state of the game.

Suddenflame.2601

Have you checked out D3 forums since ROS? I actually find them quite positive overall. And, this is reflective of the fact that forums generally reflect the state of the game.

I was just reading them before making this posting. They are still horrible beyond belief. The first page of postings is just filled with negative forums filled with people insulting each other.

I got nothing against forums that criticize the game or are angry about the balancing of classes etc. What I go against is if the arguments and debates end in just insults (in the case of Diablo 3 starts in insults).

I have a ranger and I do post in Ranger forums sometimes, but those forums are still decent and there is a constructive conversation. You won’t have someone in the ranger forums insulting you drastically for not agreeing (can’t say the insults here cause of the filter and don’t want infractions lol).

Infractions are helpful as they keep the most toxic people out or makes them think about what they are saying.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

What a refreshing thing to hear. I don’t read other game forums so in the GW2 forum vacuum things can seem a bit toxic sometimes.

A recent example of the generally good natured helpfulness of the community appeared in the ‘TBD-World Boss’ thread. Among all the creative definitions of what TBD stands for someone genuinely did not know what it stood for. I noticed immediately everyone edited their post to include the real meaning of the abbreviation. It was sort of heart warming for some reason.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

-looks at the metric ton of posts on this forum that criticize things on this game-

Oh I don’t know… Maybe if one can level criticism without being vitriolic about it, then maybe it won’t get deleted.
And even then, some get past the forum moderators… They aren’t omnipresent, after all.
Food for thought there.

Despite the fact that there seems to be always at least /one/ person throwing the thinly-veiled cheap-shot in threads like this, for absolutely no other reason then because they can (enough with the Anti-Anet Agenda… Seriously, it’s gotten old…) I believe that Forum Moderation does indeed have a lot to do with it.
And truth be told? I’m glad for it.

People have their opinions. Sharing those opinions is good. Sharing those opinions in a vehemently negative fashion while deriding anyone that doesn’t share that opinion is not, regardless of what that opinion is.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Next

People have their opinions. Sharing those opinions is good. Sharing those opinions in a vehemently negative fashion while deriding anyone that doesn’t share that opinion is not, regardless of what that opinion is.

So true! We do understand it can be a bit jarring to folks used to other forums, when we’re very vocal about keeping our forums respectful to each other and to our staff. There are a good many folks who are critical, but never have their posts removed or get infracted.

We believe that the community likes that we work hard to create a safe and welcoming space. Thousands up thousands of posts are made every single day and although we wish we could review them all, it’s just not physically possible. The more folks report posts, the better the forums are for everyone. When they’re welcoming, both players and staff feel more positive about interacting with each other.

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

If you care enough to criticize then you should care enough to complement.

and we do

-M

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

You’ve obviously never been to the WvW forum. I hadn’t either until recently. A guy’s thread was moved there and I was watching it because when he got into jade quarry I was gonna invite him to my guild, entire thread just turned into a thread about matchups and server bashing.

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

Previous

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

You’ve obviously never been to the WvW forum. I hadn’t either until recently. A guy’s thread was moved there and I was watching it because when he got into jade quarry I was gonna invite him to my guild, entire thread just turned into a thread about matchups and server bashing.

Alas, we cannot always find and hunt down the posts, so it’s always great when players report them to direct the Moderation Team to those threads.

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

My only complaint is that people hate being told they’re wrong (especially when it comes to builds). You can be extremely helpful in giving correct, accurate and honest advice but people will still report you. I mean, I received infractions for asking if somebody could figure out percentage differences by themselves after going to the effort of calculating effective powers & eps numbers for 4 builds for them. That’s not even the most ridiculous infraction/suspension I’ve received.

Yes, these forums are clean and polite, but if you’re an experienced and well informed player – it’s obvious to see that similarly well informed players are absent from the forums. There is a huge lack of helpful advice in the class forums, nobody is bothering to say “that is a bad build” to people any more when they ask for opinions, because nobody still posting knows any better. Even the dungeon forums, once a safehaven for skilled minmaxers are eerily casual nowadays.