Anet: Making weapons appealing.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DakotaCoty.5721

DakotaCoty.5721

Hey all,

I’ve had this idea for a while and wanted to share it with you all and I hope Anet will also reply with how they view this idea.

As we know, there are a few weapons that people aren’t happy with. Whether it be the legendaries, Ascended, custom skins or your level 1-80 classics.

The suggestions I have for these ‘Undesirable Weapons’ are the following:

- Integrate the idea of GW1’s weapon dying system… It worked, and there should be a quest available to unlock it. I suggest a quest because we have too much Trade Post stuff and way too many achievement metas with the current living story.

- Elemental Fusions (Idea from: Tibia)
You can buy/craft/create/earn your very own elemental gems and attune them to your weapon(s). Again, a really good customisation that is ignored by most games and I feel it would add to these ‘Undesirable Weapons’

- Energy Gems (Jade Dynasty – Refinery System, WoW – Enchantment System, Rift – PvP rank items)
Allow the ability of adding gems to your weapons that add a certain glow/shimmer effect to them. This has been used on several games; Rift, WoW etc..

Again, these are just some ideas that GW2’s Dev team could really focus on to distract players from the constant ‘Money sink’ and ‘Grinding’. I know they have avoided quests as much as possible, but could a few here and there hurt that much? It never did in GW1. This is also my first suggestion, don’t shoot me

[CG {EU} – Leader] Leading farm guild~193 cRanger~
https://www.twitch.tv/dakotacoty
https://www.facebook.com/RealDakotaCoty/

(edited by DakotaCoty.5721)

Posted by: Trashman.8596

Trashman.8596

I agree that weapons should be able to be customized some what. I’m attached to my Seraph Pistols.

Venkas
Ehmry Bay/Haven Community
A Commander sometimes

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

I agree. Weapons that are low tier should be able to be upgraded into something more appealing. You like the aesthetics of a weapon/armor set but the color and effects of it might not be on par with higher tier weapons/armors.

I’ve had this idea with dungeon armors and weapons before, posted on the forums a long time ago. Let us upgrade those armors so they look better. Take Ascalonian armor for example, it isn’t glowing and you don’t look like a ghost. I think you should be able to upgrade it so it looks that way.

Of course it would be expensive to do so and require a lot of resources.

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

i also think they need to make better staffs, the current ones are very very very bad looking. the only nice is the kasmeer and the legendary one that are both fenelish and they dont fit to a male elementalist or mesmer.

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

- Integrate the idea of GW1’s weapon dying system… It worked, and there should be a quest available to unlock it. I suggest a quest because we have too much Trade Post stuff and way too many achievement metas with the current living story.

While i would like something like that, it would also make some weapon set ingame useless, since some are just reskins of other (asura and inquest for example).
Overall it is a nice idea, however there is another problem:
Some weapons are colorful, but only thanks to their effect that is placed on them.
So it would not work with your following idea.

-snip-

- Energy Gems

-snip-

I like the idea. even though i am against the whole “too many particle effects” thing.
I am a bit more simple with the designes i like.
Anyway the system you are proposing is something that has been said before, however i would rather integrate into the a revamped crafting system so the high lvl crafting jobs actually mean something.
It could be combined with the ability to choose handle and bladeform to create unique weapons.
Right now every tier looks the same, so they are not really desireable before lvl 400, where you get access to the cool stuff.

However if you want to aply elemental effects on the weapons, they actually need to do that damage too, like all the other “elemental” weapons ingame.

I also would suggest that this is not something everyone can do from the start. it should be something to be earned.

Furthermore it has to be restricted to certain weapon, so that there can be still a lot of unique weapons.

While i understand that you want to “pimp” every weapon i do not think that is a good idea in the long run, because after a while we would see a lot of “same” designes in the world

i also think they need to make better staffs, the current ones are very very very bad looking. the only nice is the kasmeer and the legendary one that are both fenelish and they dont fit to a male elementalist or mesmer.

I have to agree. Staffs are not easy to do, however the ones we have range from elaborate to unpractical.
I was hoping for a “simple” staff design somwhere. However in my search i did not find many so i went with the guild staff.

However i have to ask you what you (Immensus) think would be better looking staffs?
kasmeers is cool because he has unique animations and effects.
I hope you do not mean we need more of these.
The staffs ingame are fine for the most part, but they all follow mostly the same design paradigma and thus are stuck in some way.
Do you want more leaborate designes in general. Things that stick out.
Or do you not like the overall designes so far?

(edited by Jaken.6801)

Posted by: DakotaCoty.5721

DakotaCoty.5721

Again, something I agree with. The basic staff is a wooden one with some form of crystal at the top, say one of my ideas was integrated or many of them. You could dye that simple basic wooden look to a nice black one with a death crystal for that extra particle effect… Or perhaps attuning that staff to a specific element.

However if you want to aply elemental effects on the weapons, they actually need to do that damage too, like all the other “elemental” weapons ingame.

I also would suggest that this is not something everyone can do from the start. it should be something to be earned.

Furthermore it has to be restricted to certain weapon, so that there can be still a lot of unique weapons.

While i understand that you want to “pimp” every weapon i do not think that is a good idea in the long run, because after a while we would see a lot of “same” designes in the world

I agree, we may see a lot of the same designs in the future but it’s better than the current blasé ones that we have going around at the moment. I just think adding some way to customise your weapons like in Guild Wars 1 would be amazing but keeping it out of the gold market would be even better.

We have way too many customisable features that consume some form of gold-based currency:
- Gender Change
- Physical Change (Height, Size, Skin colour etc…)
- Hair Colour
- Transmute Crystals.

Something outside of the pressure of having gold would be amazing for Guild Wars 2, I just hope they can figure that out.

[CG {EU} – Leader] Leading farm guild~193 cRanger~
https://www.twitch.tv/dakotacoty
https://www.facebook.com/RealDakotaCoty/

Immensus.9732

While i would like something like that, it would also make some weapon set ingame useless, since some are just reskins of other (asura and inquest for example).
Overall it is a nice idea, however there is another problem:
Some weapons are colorful, but only thanks to their effect that is placed on them.
So it would not work with your following idea.

-snip-

- Energy Gems

-snip-

I like the idea. even though i am against the whole “too many particle effects” thing.
I am a bit more simple with the designes i like.
Anyway the system you are proposing is something that has been said before, however i would rather integrate into the a revamped crafting system so the high lvl crafting jobs actually mean something.
It could be combined with the ability to choose handle and bladeform to create unique weapons.
Right now every tier looks the same, so they are not really desireable before lvl 400, where you get access to the cool stuff.

I have to agree. Staffs are not easy to do, however the ones we have range from elaborate to unpractical.
I was hoping for a “simple” staff design somwhere. However in my search i did not find many so i went with the guild staff.

However i have to ask you what you (Immensus) think would be better looking staffs?
kasmeers is cool because he has unique animations and effects.
I hope you do not mean we need more of these.
The staffs ingame are fine for the most part, but they all follow mostly the same design paradigma and thus are stuck in some way.
Do you want more leaborate designes in general. Things that stick out.
Or do you not like the overall designes so far?

Awesome question… i really wonder first of all why there are Mists weapons and Foefires with very cool looking auras and no staff at all… i believe having weapons with auras makes them very good looking, also the staff is a weapon better represented from magic so staffs like the aether one or the fused dont really fit to the concept, from the other hand i think kasmeers the legendary one and the ascended are a very good example of how they should look like. for start what i would do is get the ascended staff concept and add some blueish aura like the mists weapons.
EDIT: Something that i want to add is theres was a post quite sometime ago on reddit with a staff that they datamined with a very very cool looking raven effect, you should check it out.

(edited by Immensus.9732)

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Awesome question… i really wonder first of all why there are Mists weapons and Foefires with very cool looking auras and no staff at all… i believe having weapons with auras makes them very good looking, also the staff is a weapon better represented from magic so staffs like the aether one or the fused dont really fit to the concept, from the other hand i think kasmeers the legendary one and the ascended are a very good example of how they should look like. for start what i would do is get the ascended staff concept and add some blueish aura like the mists weapons.
EDIT: Something that i want to add is theres was a post quite sometime ago on reddit with a staff that they datamined with a very very cool looking raven effect, you should check it out.

So your mainproblem that you do not think there are some “high level” staffs that fill your needs in term of design, while you see no other overall that seem to be what you desire for your character.

You want a clear distinction for high lvl content to look epic. glistering with particles and maybe some cool animation.

Right now the ascended weapons are not that what you would like, i guess. At least not in their current form.

In my opinion i am not really a fan of particle effects. The whole glowing thing is getting a bit out of hand in my opionin.
I like it a bit more subtle. More detail.
Simple looking from the outside, but if you look closer you see all the amzing design that was put into it,

I think there are other ways, aside from: “let`s put more sparkle or fire on it”, to get an epic looking weapon done.

This is why like to ask the question: What is good design? What is beautiful?
It is a personal question. Everyone has his own ideas about that. This is what makes art so hard.
More so if you try it on a common sense.

Immensus.9732

So your mainproblem that you do not think there are some “high level” staffs that fill your needs in term of design, while you see no other overall that seem to be what you desire for your character.

You want a clear distinction for high lvl content to look epic. glistering with particles and maybe some cool animation.

Right now the ascended weapons are not that what you would like, i guess. At least not in their current form.

In my opinion i am not really a fan of particle effects. The whole glowing thing is getting a bit out of hand in my opionin.
I like it a bit more subtle. More detail.
Simple looking from the outside, but if you look closer you see all the amzing design that was put into it,

I think there are other ways, aside from: “let`s put more sparkle or fire on it”, to get an epic looking weapon done.

This is why like to ask the question: What is good design? What is beautiful?
It is a personal question. Everyone has his own ideas about that. This is what makes art so hard.
More so if you try it on a common sense.

Yes I agree everyone has personal preferences. But! There are currently very simple looking or detailed staffs that are very good looking that are good for both for male and female characters. But there aren’t any good with effects especially and I repeat that especially for male characters which is where I think the problem is

Posted by: Brian.6435

Brian.6435

I would happy just to see the ability to add some sparkle to some of the well designed but otherwise dull skins. Perfect examples would be the Ebon Vanguard Staff skin and Seraph Staff skin, which I currently use. If you could enchant them to make them have some kind of glow and sparkle shine to them it would make them much cooler weapons.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Great idea! It would also add more depth to the game..something everyone wants!

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

Not being able to dye weapons is a crime against humanity. It was an option in GW 1 so why not Gw 2? I mean, sure, dying certain weapons would probably be an issue, but they could always just do what they did in GW1 and make it so that some weapons aren’t affected by dyes in order to maintain a certain “aesthetic” the artist had in mind for it(think Tormented weapons, for example).

P.S. And why should customizability be limited to just weapons? The game is lacking in customizability overall from character appearance options to skills and many things in between, IMHO.

(edited by Justin.7163)