Anet closure of HoT maps - problem

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hesione.9412

Hesione.9412

I had encountered this before the change to remove multimap in Auric Basin. The situation is, you’ve started on a meta event (e.g. you’ve gone some way towards developing one of the outposts in VB, finishing the Tarir event) and then the message pops up about not many players on your current map so do you want to change to another version of the map (and get a bonus).

Without fail, every time this has happened to me when I have been working towards completing a meta event, I have been placed in a map with few players and with the meta events much less progressed – if at all.

I have no idea how the criteria for picking which maps will close and which will be the receiving maps. However, perhaps the map with more progression towards the meta should be the one kept open.

Latest example: in Auric Basin, attacking octovine. Option flashes up. I agree, and then find myself in an Auric Basin instance where the gates into Tarir are still blocked – i.e. a much less advanced meta event that is likely to fail.

In future, I’m going to refuse to change maps. But why is the directionality moving players from a partially completed meta to a zero completed meta, when one would expect the opposite to occur?

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Having the same problem.
Seems to pop up right in the middle of the AB meta event, and if you say yes, you end up on a map with no one anywhere.
Is there any way of telling how many ppl are on a map?

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I don’t think anyone is entirely sure how it works but I don’t think it takes into account the meta at all. I think it’s purely on the number of people in the map. In general, never accept the kind offer to switch maps!

Posted by: Jwake.7013

Jwake.7013

Yeah this has to do with the mega servers and how they determine if a map needs to be closed or not due to lack of population. This has been going on since HoT came out and is a wide spread problem, not just isolated to one or two maps.

I remember them (anet) commenting on this, that it is a very complicated problem and would take a lot of work to fix. Not sure really the status of this anymore since it’s been so long since I’ve seen any update about it from anet. Most players if in a good map know now to just stay and figure out time wise if it’ll work out for them to get done what they want before closing. Then figure out if they want to move maps based off that judgement of either trying to finish a meta or maybe going for a achievement and go from there. People use lfg or just hop in and out a few times to find a better map normally that isn’t closing because the map it switches you to is almost always dead and sometimes 5 minutes later will tell you to switch again. It has been very frustrating at times for many people so I can completely understand where your coming from with this. Sadly I don’t think we’ll see a change unless they’ve been silently working on this the entire time. (which you never know, could totally be the case)

(edited by Jwake.7013)

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Yeah, I never accept to change maps, but depending on how far the meta timer is it auto switches right at the moment when the meta ends, moving you awy from rewardschests or worse inthe middle of anevent.

I guess the system has to close maps somehow, but its very disruptive and annoying no matter which way around it happens.

Personally think it should only switch people 15min after the meta ends.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Hesione.9412

Hesione.9412

People use lfg or just hop in and out a few times to find a better map normally that isn’t closing because the map it switches you to is almost always dead and sometimes 5 minutes later will tell you to switch again.

Yes, previously I have experienced about 4 map changes in a hour on the same HoT map – it was VB from memory and none of the maps were particularly advanced on the preparation events.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Yeah, I never accept to change maps, but depending on how far the meta timer is it auto switches right at the moment when the meta ends, moving you awy from rewardschests or worse inthe middle of anevent.

I guess the system has to close maps somehow, but its very disruptive and annoying no matter which way around it happens.

Personally think it should only switch people 15min after the meta ends.

It doesn’t check the meta state at all. It simply closes exactly 1 hour after that first popup.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

People use lfg or just hop in and out a few times to find a better map normally that isn’t closing because the map it switches you to is almost always dead and sometimes 5 minutes later will tell you to switch again.

Yes, previously I have experienced about 4 map changes in a hour on the same HoT map – it was VB from memory and none of the maps were particularly advanced on the preparation events.

That happens precisely because of the stuff the OP is describing. If you keep swapping players who are doing the meta to a map that has not started the meta then those players are most likely to zone back out again, either to a different part of the world or to another instance of the same map via the LFG tool. So the map that the megaserver is trying to fill just becomes a bus stop. The LFG tool works against the megaserver and players, being human, don’t just accept being shovelled around the place.

The other problem with the megaserver is that it has to cope with the end of world bosses/timed Metas where there might be dozens of full maps that suddenly start emptying at the same time. Its job is to try to combine maps to keep them full but us players are mapping out more quickly then it can bring players in. It’s a difficult problem to solve I think.

Posted by: Gudy.3607

Gudy.3607

I don’t think anyone is entirely sure how it works but I don’t think it takes into account the meta at all.

It doesn’t, although it bloody well should. It didn’t when Dry Top – the first map with a map-wide meta event – got revealed, it still doesn’t to this day. And none of the work-arounds people have suggested, like manually picking another instance when you’re asked to switch, have been implemented, either.

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

I had encountered this before the change to remove multimap in Auric Basin. The situation is, you’ve started on a meta event (e.g. you’ve gone some way towards developing one of the outposts in VB, finishing the Tarir event) and then the message pops up about not many players on your current map so do you want to change to another version of the map (and get a bonus).

Without fail, every time this has happened to me when I have been working towards completing a meta event, I have been placed in a map with few players and with the meta events much less progressed – if at all.

I have no idea how the criteria for picking which maps will close and which will be the receiving maps. However, perhaps the map with more progression towards the meta should be the one kept open.

Latest example: in Auric Basin, attacking octovine. Option flashes up. I agree, and then find myself in an Auric Basin instance where the gates into Tarir are still blocked – i.e. a much less advanced meta event that is likely to fail.

In future, I’m going to refuse to change maps. But why is the directionality moving players from a partially completed meta to a zero completed meta, when one would expect the opposite to occur?

I have been in huge zergs doing big meta events and it says “we will close this map”. The best thing you can do in this situation is to agree, take the buff, then immediately rejoin your party in the map you just left.

How Anet calculates what makes to close makes no sense but ever since the nerf of AB MM I feel like they are constantly closing HOT maps which implies the population on these maps is basically nonexistent. Other than getting a toon to elite spec, I would never voluntarily spend time in Maguuma. I hate the maps, the metas other than AB are unrewarding, I hate the maps, the enemies are all annoying, and I hate the maps.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

This problem has existed since HoT’s launch. I often go from event chains completed → less completed → … → first event in the chain. I am probably part of the tiny minority that will be slightly disappointed whenever they get around to fixing this …

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

So when a map decides to close, that decision is final, and it will close in 2 hours once its population hits a designated low point. The problem with this is that even if the population of the map goes back up, even if it reaches the population cap, that decision to close the map was final. So the map will still consider itself to be empty, and will then prompt you to leave the map.

In core tyria maps, this really isn’t a problem. But in HoT maps, where everything revolves around a 90min-120min meta event, it suddenly becomes a really noticeable problem. People will stick around for a meta, then leave soon after its over. It just happens when 90% of the maps content revolves around the meta that is on a fixed timer. Now, since people leave the map within a few minutes of the meta finishing, the map decides that it will close. And its 2 hour timer starts, which happens to end just a few minutes after the next meta will end. So, the map will prompt you to leave the map in the middle of the next meta, because it already decided that it was going to close, regardless of how many new people joined that instance.

There is also another problem with the mega servers switching you to an instance that is also about the close. I don’t know if they are related or not, but I consider them separate issues.

Its a horrible problem, and I wish that ANet could fix it. But it seems that either they aren’t sure how or don’t have the resources to fix it properly, which is very unfortunate.

Posted by: Major Domo.9250

Major Domo.9250

Tossing this one in for the thousand and first time…

/tyriadistricts2017

Attachments:

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

^And, except for Festivals, there was only 1, or perhaps 2, Districts to choose from. Of course, those were only Cities, Towns, Outposts; nothing to do with playable content (again, except during Festivals).

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

Tossing this one in for the thousand and first time…

/tyriadistricts2017

This would be awesome, most games allow you to pick your server anyway…….. Kinda like GW1 did………………..

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

And none of the work-arounds people have suggested, like manually picking another instance when you’re asked to switch, have been implemented, either.

Not going to happen. They don’t want us to get any hints about how many players there might be around.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

It’s been over a year since they posted that they were looking at a fix for mega servers.
Don’t hold your breath.

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

I don’t meta much, but I’ve heard a lot of people suggest using LFG at the beginning of the meta. If you find taxis, use them because that map is more likely to get fuller.

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

Yeah, I never transfer maps when it offers – the reward is way too little if the map is completing something. I doubt I’d do it for a few gold, even.

It is baffling that they don’t take into account how far along the meta the map is.