Anet forgot about GW1 players?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zeqasa Saitou.4256

Zeqasa Saitou.4256

Think about it from this aspect….
In the OG guild wars, the only “tormented” weapon I had in my HoM was the scythe.
Even if they did gives us the skins from the weapons in the now destroyed hall which is only inhabited but some strange out of place animals, (from a lore perspective meaning its been looted) the dervish players (like me) would still be out of luck.
I’m actually glad I was able to purchase the longbow skin for my GW2 ranger. It reminds me of the good times I had in the original.
I actually hope that some of the old obsidian armors make it into the gem store as well.

Yak’s Bend
Zeqasa Saitou [Ranger]
Leader of: Requiem Aeternam [RA]

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

The audience for GW1 isn’t the audience for GW2. This game is aimed at the people that would spend hundreds of dollars on farmville or other casual facebook games.

^This.

/endthread<3

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

The audience for GW1 isn’t the audience for GW2. This game is aimed at the people that would spend hundreds of dollars on farmville or other casual facebook games.

^This.

/endthread<3

Not really, the people who would spend hundreds of dollars on Farmville or Candy Crush Saga (trademark) are already doing that and losing their plastic to the insidious lure.

The people who play Guild Wars 2 are mostly warriors, thieves, and the odd mesmer.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Big Tower.5423

Big Tower.5423

So you’re basicly saying that those who didnt play gw1 shuldnt get the weaponskin??…. What if like a gw2 player sees a skin and thinks “I want that and i am gonna work for that” “NO! becuse i played gw1 and you didnt you dont deserve whatever you do” Dosnt that sound really egoistic and selfish? Just becuse you want a exclusive skin that might affect other people.

-1 to op

7800 hours ingame, and counting.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

^This.

/endthread<3

Not really, the people who would spend hundreds of dollars on Farmville or Candy Crush Saga (trademark) are already doing that and losing their plastic to the insidious lure.

The people who play Guild Wars 2 are mostly warriors, thieves, and the odd mesmer.

The individuals that are throwing large amounts of money at Facebook games are hooked on those, but it’s the same type of gamer that Anet is relying on for their gemstore sales. Those players that are happy to throw $20 at the game every 2 weeks to get the latest shiny things, instead of having items gained through gameplay.

Right now the entire gaming industry is heading down that road because there are enough people that will play sucker to it. That’s fairly obvious when the top rated/highest profit mobile games are ones that force hours of wait times that can only be bypassed with cash.

Every time a game wants you to break out your credit card to acquire something in game, that is taking away something you could have done ingame to get that item. A new dungeon, a new boss, a new zone to explore…nope, just typing in a credit card number. That’s ok for the occasional cosmetic, but not when it’s nearly every new weapon or armor that’s been added over 18 months.

Making money from your game is fine, but there has to be some value given to the customer for their money and time invested in gameplay. Trying to monetize almost every item added to the game is just going way too far, especially when you’re dealing with a game that is not free to play. Take this current release for example. We have an hour worth of new events/content, and over $1000 worth of gemstore items. That’s based on the average drop rate of Black Lion Claim Ticket Scraps and the price of Black Lion Keys.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

(edited by mrstealth.6701)

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

as a GW1 player of several years I want to voice my very important opinion on this topic: I could not care less.

I really wish players could just let go of the past – this is not Guild Wars 1. Is it better? Is it worse? I don´t know. Guess that purely boils down to personal taste as with any game.

Posted by: Light.7493

Light.7493

I should be giving all legends in X2 because I played X1. No. Just no.

Also. They need money from gem store to keep game alive. You want them to sell pay2win items instead?

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Nah they didn’t forget GW1 players. Or at least, their marketing department didn’t.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

Posted by: Decado.9304

Decado.9304

Tormented weapons weren’t particularly exclusive in GW1, nor were they difficult to obtain and i have no issue with them being added to GW2.

Who ever realistically thought that any of the HoM skins were going to be freely available for GW1 players to use within GW2? not even a remote possibility i ever considered…

mrstealth.6701

Who ever realistically thought that any of the HoM skins were going to be freely available for GW1 players to use within GW2? not even a remote possibility i ever considered…

I think it would have been reasonable to think that before the actual HoM skins were known. Especially considering all of the statements about the HoM being used to pass down things to your descendants.

And at least one of the actual skins from the HoM is a weapon even more rare/exclusive than Tormented.

Posted by: AtlasSi.9130

AtlasSi.9130

So you’re basicly saying that those who didnt play gw1 shuldnt get the weaponskin??…. What if like a gw2 player sees a skin and thinks “I want that and i am gonna work for that” “NO! becuse i played gw1 and you didnt you dont deserve whatever you do” Dosnt that sound really egoistic and selfish? Just becuse you want a exclusive skin that might affect other people.

-1 to op

Or, what they could have done is let players from GW1 have a better skinned version (like more glowy or something), and sell a lesser looking one on the Gem Store. I would have been fine with that.

I’m just going to leave this here. I couldn’t agree more with the OP.

18 80s | 12 100% | r177 | wvw r970 | 9,000+ hours
BP → DR → FA → Mag → BP → FA

(edited by AtlasSi.9130)

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

I haven’t played the game since December because of all the crappy stuff that gets added to the game. 90% of every update is just gem store nonsense so I don’t even bother.

I’ve been subscribed to the email updates just to see if anything interesting will be happening that may get me to come back and what do I see today?

Tormented Weapons………

As a 50/50 & GWAMM player of GW1 I gotta say I am kittened off beyond belief right now. Not because they were added – I’m glad to see more GW1 stuff make its way into GW2. But RNG BOXES? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I am so done right now it’s not even funny. I haven’t logged in since December to the forums or to the game, but I logged in specifically to say how distasteful all this RNG bullkitten is and how EVERYTHING added is through the gem store or through RNG.

Great job Nexon – you did it again. You ran a great franchise into the ground by ruling out skill and bringing in luck and microtransaction requirements instead.

I am just so furious that everything added is done through RNG boxes. Not to mention it’s clear at this point that we’ll never see significant weapon skins or armor added to the game that DON’T require microtransactions.

GW1 players rejoice. You can soon earn all GW1 loot by spending 100s of dollars to MAYBE get a few weapon scraps!

I’m unsubscribing to the email updates and am going to continue to not log in. This makes me so upset to see ArenaNet and Guild Wars go from so great in GW1 to abysmally awful in GW2.

I’m so disappointed.

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

I haven’t played the game since December because of all the crappy stuff that gets added to the game. 90% of every update is just gem store nonsense so I don’t even bother.

Ahh yes, because you have not played you know that 90% of the update is gemstore? This last patch was about 10% store with 90% being LS events. Please do not post your knowledge of something that you do not even play.

mrstealth.6701

Ahh yes, because you have not played you know that 90% of the update is gemstore? This last patch was about 10% store with 90% being LS events. Please do not post your knowledge of something that you do not even play.

This last patch is an hour or two worth of events and $1000 worth of gemstore items.

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

This last patch is an hour or two worth of events and $1000 worth of gemstore items.

Tormented Weapons – 60-100 Gold in game, so at Gem – > Gold rate, about $20.
Minis – 500 gems, $6.25
New guild finisher, 800 gems, $10.00

Total: ~36.25

Difference from your total, $1000-36.25 = $963.75

Really not much else to say, besides learn to math.

TehPwnerer.7215

GW1 is an entirely different game. Game GW1 players do not ‘deserve’ rewards in GW2. It’s nice that they provided a link, but that’s because Anet chooses to.

If Anet released a Torment weapons in their gem shop in GW1, hey, I can understand.

But GW2 is an entirely different game and you shouldn’t be holding it as a leash to GW1.

Gw2 would not exist without Gw1 and the players who spent their hard earned dollars(or other tender) there to support that game, Gw2 players should be mindful and at least somewhat thankful or respectful in that sense. 50/50 was a bigger grind than anything in gw2 to date yet including making all of the current legendary weapons. They also outlined you would get rewards for the HoM 30/50 would have item rewards anything past that was titles. They’ve given us (Gw1 vets) some decent things even if they chose to take the fell blade and release it as a purple champ weapon re-textured and 1 handed.

Imagine a Gw3 is made and you can buy rng boxes for a shot at a twilight or sunrise skin because that’s the level of prestige that the torment weapons were for gw1 players.

But to be honest this game is getting really tiresome with its constant Gem-Store only Gw1 themed or existing content. With the seemingly endless supply of white knights who defend garbage practices that insult the players who supported the franchise, its no wonder why fewer people who played since launch disappear day by day which is sad since most core game-play elements are actually solid x.×.

Hit the nail right on the head. This is just pure insulting.

TehPwnerer.7215

Really? Read my post. I get the updates in the email that are the overviews of the new patches. 90% of every patch is RNG and Gem store related. The other 10% is a stupid hat or back skin and the temporary content update overview for the next two weeks.

mrstealth.6701

Minis – 500 gems, $6.25

As in a previous post in this thread, I’m referring to the cost of Black Lion Chest Keys required to get the 19 new weapons at an average of about $56 each, plus the cost from the two other gemstore items. A total of over $1000 in gem store merchandise.

Even using your method, that’s $20 per weapon, which is still nearly $400 worth of gemstore weapons.

edit: So even looking at this in the best possible way, that’s still $400 worth of monetization for 1-2 hours of game content. And the same price applies to any other release that includes a new BL weapon set. Even the previous release and the week before it had $50-60 worth of gemstore monetization.

TehPwnerer.7215

Minis – 500 gems, $6.25

As in a previous post in this thread, I’m referring to the cost of Black Lion Chest Keys required to get the 19 new weapons at an average of about $56 each, plus the $36 from the two other gemstore items. A total of over $1000 in gem store merchandise.

Don’t worry it’s cool you can work your butt off for an hour or two to get a hat that will collect dust in your bank.

Don’t forget to buy more bank tabs!

Posted by: Krugan.7901

Krugan.7901

And then they say there is no endgame. Of course there isn’t if you put the all skins in the gem store.

Posted by: Lohre.9031

Lohre.9031

GW1 is an entirely different game. Game GW1 players do not ‘deserve’ rewards in GW2. It’s nice that they provided a link, but that’s because Anet chooses to.

If Anet released a Torment weapons in their gem shop in GW1, hey, I can understand.

But GW2 is an entirely different game and you shouldn’t be holding it as a leash to GW1.

Imagine a Gw3 is made and you can buy rng boxes for a shot at a twilight or sunrise skin because that’s the level of prestige that the torment weapons were for gw1 players.

Wow. I would be sad

TehPwnerer.7215

And then they say there is no endgame. Of course there isn’t if you put the all skins in the gem store.

Stop using logic.

TehPwnerer.7215

Wow. I would be sad

Right. That’s how us GW1 players feel. Everything from Gw1 is being added as cheap RNG “rewards.”

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I should be giving all legends in X2 because I played X1. No. Just no.

Also. They need money from gem store to keep game alive. You want them to sell pay2win items instead?

Well if you consider the fact that the majority of skins are in the Gem store overall, and that the end game for this game is in skins, looks and horizontal progression, arguably we already are playing a Pay2Win game.

I mean, sure, they’re cosmetics. But cosmetics are the focus. If they sold stats in the stores no one would care because the purpose of the game is to ultimately look nice in your own view and most of the nice looking stuff has a $ tag on it. x:

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Where’s the profit in keeping the weapon skins exclusive?

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

GW1 was a great game. I invested thousands of hours into the game, and had multiple accounts just for storage. I bought costumes from their microtransactions offerings. And filled my HoM to the max. To add, GW2 was advertised as a new game, but one that’s connected with your GW1 account. That’s why I use the argument that it’s the “same” game. The HoM was the bridge between the two. True some weapon types and professions weren’t added to GW2, and new races were introduced, so I understand why certain things couldn’t be carried over. But because lore is such an integral part of the Guild Wars universe, my opinion is having “ancestors” from GW1 should have provided more prestige in GW2.

As for Gem Store items, I’ll continue to pick up vanity skins when necessary. If something is nice, I’ll gladly support Anet with more microtransactions. So I’ll look into some Tormented weapons now, and await the Obsidian armors in the future. Would have been great if I could pick these up from my HoM where my ancestor left them though.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Given all the GW1-related threads that appear in the GW2 forums, many of which criticize GW2 for not being more like GW1, as well as the fact that GW1 is still an active title, I doubt it’s even possible for ArenaNet to forget about GW1 players.

I can understand the sense of nostalgia, and appreciate that Tormented Weapons have a special place in GW1, but caution against allowing that to develop into a sense of entitlement or bitterness when expectations are not met.

“To a dark place this line of thought will carry us. Great care we must take.” — Master Yoda

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

There’s a lot of things in GW2 that mimic GW1 items but with different acquisition methods.

Like the mini polar bear – in GW1 it was extremely rare and valuable, in GW2 it’s a normal Set 1 green mini. Or ectoplasm, it’s gone from only dropping in end-game areas to coming from all rare items. A lot of weapon and item sets in particular have been re-purposed.

Personally I don’t see the big deal. It’s like complaining that the position of green and purple item rarities have been swapped. It’s a different game, things will have changed.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

This isn’t continuity, this is more like a contrived fanfic. The ArenaNet from 2006 would have never ever even considered this real-money gambling bullkitten (delightfully unregulated by law due to dinosaurs in the legislation I might add). This was their archenemy, it would have been against everything they stood for.
But this isn’t 2006 ANet anymore and except for the two names Guild Wars and ArenaNet (ironically both obsolete, because this game and company has no PvP focus anymore) and some smiles for press photos they have no one left from that era. They have a very high intern/contractor turnover rate and it shows.

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

This is a different game. They are still just as hard to get in GW1 (I assume).

Posted by: Tranc.6780

Tranc.6780

Let me start off by saying I am in general against the whole limited access/prestige item thing, where people don’t want others to have what they have so they can feel good about themselves.

That said, I think GW1 players have every right to be upset. Here’s why:

When GW2 was announced, GW1 was still doing very well. To placate the player base who wanted to keep their characters, gear, etc., Arena Net told us there would be a Hall of Monuments that would allow us to transfer certain items to GW2. The original description, back in the day, was that we could put a sword on display in the Hall of Monuments, and 250 years later, our GW1 character’s ancestor could crack open the case to retrieve the weapon. Tormented Weapons were one of those few endgame items that could be placed on display in the HoM.

As time went on, the story changed to we would only be getting points for our HoM contributions, though some of those points would unlock various skins (though not the things we specifically put on display).

You would think that if anything carried over it would be the hard to get endgame items: zodiac & tormented weapons. Nope, those go straight to the cash shop.

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

Nobody would be angry if these weapons were put into GW2 as rewards for a dungeon, maybe as relics from the past that originated from the Domain of Anguish?

Or maybe ArenaNet could have waited until they had an Elonian expansion to start with before adding in the Realm of Torment itself, or a portal that goes straight to the Domain of Anguish to play the elite instance for gemstones to buy tormented weapons.

But Nooooooo.

Instead these GW1 endgame weapons are kittening RNG gemstore items. Are you kidding me? Also the fact that these weapons were asked for way back, say 2010, for them to be added into the HoM rewards since 1) They can be dedicated into the GW1 HoM itself and 2) They were the hardest weapons to get before that free give away at the Wayfarer’s Reverie update and they were slapped into the gemstore instead, of all places, is a real slap to the face.

No, instead they sell GW1 prestige THAT COULD BE ADDED INTO GW2 WITHOUT BEING BEHIND AN RNG BOX OR SOLD IN THE GEMSTORE AT ALL.. to profit off the nostalgia of the player base that made GW2 happen in the first place.

This sort of none sense doesn’t just stop with us GW1 players, no no no. Yeah they sold Zodiac weapons, Primeval armor, and now Tormented weapons. But a few months ago they turned on you guys and reskinned human T3, which didn’t last a couple of days before it was pulled out of the store and redesigned.

You faced a similar controversy and your outrage worked. If you’re okay with them slapping content into the gemstore instead of the game itself (reminder: they could have waited to put these weapons in the future DoA or through other means that required skill, dedication, and gameplay to earn instead of in the gemstore) then you’re okay with them slapping GW2 prestige into the gemstore.

It doesn’t even make sense, WHERE did the Black Lion Trading Company get these weapons? Where did they get Zodiac weapons from? Are you telling me Evon and his crew went to the Domain of Anguish and bought them from the Forgotten? Or did they loot my HoM?

(edited by Jovel.5706)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The fact that I have 2 of them should kill any notion of Tormented weapons in GW1 having any kind of prestige.

I’ve never completed any of the elite ‘end game’ zones, I’ve only been into the DoA once and I think I managed to kill 1 enemy before my entire party wiped. Instead I bought an Ambrace from someone in one of the starting cities, and got another weapon for doing a short quest during the GW2 anniversary.

Let me start off by saying I am in general against the whole limited access/prestige item thing, where people don’t want others to have what they have so they can feel good about themselves.

That said, I think GW1 players have every right to be upset. Here’s why:

When GW2 was announced, GW1 was still doing very well. To placate the player base who wanted to keep their characters, gear, etc., Arena Net told us there would be a Hall of Monuments that would allow us to transfer certain items to GW2. The original description, back in the day, was that we could put a sword on display in the Hall of Monuments, and 250 years later, our GW1 character’s ancestor could crack open the case to retrieve the weapon. Tormented Weapons were one of those few endgame items that could be placed on display in the HoM.

As time went on, the story changed to we would only be getting points for our HoM contributions, though some of those points would unlock various skins (though not the things we specifically put on display).

You would think that if anything carried over it would be the hard to get endgame items: zodiac & tormented weapons. Nope, those go straight to the cash shop.

I may be remembering wrong (it was a while ago when EOTN was announced) but I don’t remember ever being told that the actual items would transfer between the games. At first they were very vague, only saying that adding stuff to the hall would unlock some type of rewards, and maybe some people assumed it would be a direct transfer but I don’t remember ArenaNet ever saying it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

GW1 is still alive and kicking, feel free to play it and show off your hard earned weapons as much as you like.
Do you honestly expect to be rewarded for something you did ages ago in a whole different game for the rest of your life? Hey i unlocked jedi in SWG, it took almost a year of constant grind, maybe i should ask anet to give me alpha class access here to?
You got hall of monuments, you got achi points, you got unique skins, and you got to show off those weapons in the game you earned them in. That is more than enough i believe.

mrstealth.6701

I may be remembering wrong (it was a while ago when EOTN was announced) but I don’t remember ever being told that the actual items would transfer between the games. At first they were very vague, only saying that adding stuff to the hall would unlock some type of rewards, and maybe some people assumed it would be a direct transfer but I don’t remember ArenaNet ever saying it.

I’m fairly sure they mentioned passing down items. I do recall them specifically stating that anything obtained via the HoM would not give any advantages/power in GW2 (ie; not giving us free exotic weapons to start with). I believe that statement was before the actual HoM items were known.

The general impression given was that the items obtained in GW2 would be related to the items added in GW1.

Posted by: wolfpaq.7354

wolfpaq.7354

I think you was alredy rewarded for playing gw1? so why are you complaining?

Could not agree more with this. We knew what all of the HoM rewards would be way before GW2 came out. There are dozens of unique armor/weapon skins, some minis, some ranger pets, a title “track”, hundreds of achievement points AND a unique zone solely for us designed after an area in the first game. Really, really cool.

In fact, ArenaNet has rewarded its prequel players above and beyond any company I have ever seen. Asking them to do more or to retroactively add more rewards is very selfish. They told us what the rewards would be and then gave them to us. Content from here on out should be available to the general public and using it for revenue to keep the game running is terrific, even if it is taken from gw1.

Like you said OP, we have the equivalent of torment weapons in GW2 already: LEGENDARIES. Now go make one to make yourself feel special again since it sounds like getting 50/50 isn’t enough.

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

Really? Read my post. I get the updates in the email that are the overviews of the new patches. 90% of every patch is RNG and Gem store related. The other 10% is a stupid hat or back skin and the temporary content update overview for the next two weeks.

So you base your knowledge of the game on a one page email?

Saying that 90% of every patch is RNG and Gem store related is demonstrably untrue. If you’d said 90% of each patch is about new achievements that drive people nuts, you’d be closer.

mrstealth.6701

It really is too late to be expecting exclusives for GW1 players. I think they should have used Tormented/Destroyer weapons as GW2 HOM rewards back in 2012, but not now. Like them or not, we got our exclusives a year and half ago.

I don’t have a problem with Anet adding these weapons for everyone. My only issue is with them (like almost everything else) being stuck into the gemstore. That is a slap in the face to GW2 players and GW1 vets alike.

It’s probably not fair to say that the gemstore is 90% of every update, but it is certainly a huge part of it. About 2-3 hours of content, 5-6 hours of achievements/busy-work, and hundreds of dollars (often $1000+) worth of monetization each month.

…actually, maybe 90% isn’t all that unfair. There is over $500 worth of directly purchasable gemstore merchandise, not including consumable items. That’s just the permanent items and some upgrades (bank space/collectibles). Plus the fact that each weapon set added via claim tickets is introduced at an average price of over $1000 via keys. This price increases 5x after the first month to $5000.

Over $30,000 worth of monetization, in return for less content than a $60 expansion would have given.

Even looking at the lower cash cost of using gems to buy gold, and in turn buying the claim ticket weapons on the TP, the average cost of a weapon set is still over $650. That brings the total monetization to over $5000.

This is why we don’t have an expansion yet. They can make more money giving us things to throw money at instead of actual content.

Posted by: A R W E N.6895

A R W E N.6895

Saying that 90% of every patch is RNG and Gem store related is demonstrably untrue. If you’d said 90% of each patch is about new achievements that drive people nuts, you’d be closer.

Open your launcher and count the amount of things that talk about the gem store addition.

Come back here and say it out loud

I love debate
[Kr] Dungeon Speedclear & Fractals
www.keep-running.fr

Posted by: lazarus.1639

lazarus.1639

They keep pooping on hurting GW1’s lore, and people pays for it.
So, if you really need to keep making new store skins every 2 weeks, go ahead, but why the hell did you pee all over reused our GW1’s hard earned skins, only to put them in the gem-store? did you really think people would not get angry?

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I’m not the least bit bothered that Tormented weapons are in the gem store and not somehow free for me.

I AM bothered that once again, they’re tucked behind an RNG wall. I really wish people would stop telling Arena.net it’s a great idea (by giving them money for the RNG… which they are).

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

Open your launcher and count the amount of things that talk about the gem store addition.

Come back here and say it out loud

The launcher is the game? Who knew? Last I checked, I don’t play the launcher. I play Guild Wars 2.

Let me ask you a simple question. A month ago, Anet released Edge of the MIsts an entire WvW map. It’s pretty big. It’s an entire zone. What was in the cash shop for that update that represented 90% of the update? I’m genuinely curious.

mrstealth.6701

Let me ask you a simple question. A month ago, Anet released Edge of the MIsts an entire WvW map. It’s pretty big. It’s an entire zone. What was in the cash shop for that update that represented 90% of the update? I’m genuinely curious.

That’s the patch that added Lovestruck weapons, which at the time took an average of over $1000 ($5000 now) in Black Lion Keys to obtain a full set of, or about $55 ($275 now) each. On the conservative and smarter side, you can exchange about $300 worth of gems to buy them on the TP at around $15 each. (note that the entire supply of these weapons still depends on BL keys being bought/farmed)

Just looking at a single weapon purchase, is EotM really worth $55, or even just $15? What about $300, or $1000 for the full set? Compared to the amount of playable content added, the gem store got a massively disproportionate addition. I think I’d put EotM down for $5 DLC at most, which still gives $5 to $300+ (at the conservative end) comparison between content and skin monetization. With those numbers, 10% content is actually being extremely generous. And this isn’t even including the other gemstore merchandise added at the same time.

And the huge difference in the value placed on claim ticket weapons by Anet ($55-275) and the players that have acquired them ($10-$25) says something on its own. Anet has an absolutely absurd concept of just how much these skins are/should be worth. I could buy several full-price games for the BL key cost of a single weapon.

edit: amusing note
I had to edit this a couple times because the kitten filter didn’t like ‘$5’ being put after the letter ‘a’

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

The OP derailed himself by making his post have such a focus on GW1 players.

As a former GW1 player who had EVERY torment weapon its unfortunate that the torment weapons have been released the way they have. But not because of what the OP said but rather what has been alluded too.

Torment weapons were hard to acquire in GW1. They are not hard to acquire in GW2, in fact the system behind GW2 is about RNG/gemstore or simply use gold to buy off TP. Anything that was special about torment weapons has been lost, in GW2 it’s just a skin.

There is nothing sentimental or special about these weapons anymore. Its a repacked skin that was sentimental but ANet decision to to take what was special and completely disregard it has changed all that.

Posted by: AEFA.9035

AEFA.9035

This is the first time I really had a major complaint about a release. Us long time Guild Wars fans played our hearts out in the original series. We paved the way for what evolved into a true MMO in Guild Wars 2. When the Hall of Monuments came out, and allowed us to save our exclusive weapons in it, some of us assumed that we’d be able to pass these weapons down to our ancestors in GW2. Fast forward to release day, we were disheartened to learn that wasn’t the case, and that all our efforts to fill our HoM only gave us Achievement Points (although the boost to 50 AP in each category was a nice gesture later on). So no Tormented weapons…

Then… today comes. And what do we see? Gem Store Tormented weapons. Say what??? The weapons we worked our butts off for aren’t exclusive anymore. New players to the GW series didn’t know just how hard it was to get these weapons. When the Domain of Anguish first came out, we had to grind grind grind in order to get enough Gemstone sets to trade for one. I remember fondly that my friends wanted to be the first ones to get an Armbrace, so we did a 16 hour run, from start to finish, to get the bonus gems for doing the entire 4-part raid run. Waking up at 2am in order to coordinate a run like this is pure dedication. The run took longer than it should because one of our tanks over-napped on the scheduled break at the midway point… To add, this was before we knew about mechanics and pull locations, so we suffered greatly trying to succeed. To further my rant, I was the only Heal Monk, so keeping everyone alive was a chore. Anyways, Torment, Margonite, Stygian, and Titan Gems. Those were our prize for working hard. By doing a 4-part run, we could trade our extra Titan Gems for the other cheaper ones with other players. All in all, we worked for our weapons. We earned them, and proudly showed them off in Kamadan. For a time, they were like Legendary weapons because they were so hard to get. Over time, they got cheaper due to duping scandals which made Armbraces more common, but that’s another story.

To me, the price of having to buy Tormented weapons with tickets, or from the TP isn’t the issue. I can afford to do so, so access to these skins aren’t the problem. What I do feel strongly for is that anyone can purchase these skins now. In my opinion, Anet should have kept these weapons as unique HoM skins for only those players who had them stored. Or, what they could have done is let players from GW1 have a better skinned version (like more glowy or something), and sell a lesser looking one on the Gem Store. I would have been fine with that.

With all this said, Anet needs to really consider their old school players. Bonus AP is nice, but give us something that we can have that Special Snowflake feel. 50/50 HoM took effort, and effort should be rewarded.

Here is an answer why all of weapon skins are in black lion chest and armor skins are in gem store. Forget about the lore in GW1, forget original GW entirely, clearly we have no place in this game.

ANet has changed

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Meleagar/112012/24237_NCSoft-Sold-Arenanet-and-GW2-Out-For-Nexon-Investment

Success is my only option, failure is not.

mrstealth.6701

Here is an answer why all of weapon skins are in black lion chest and armor skins are in gem store. Forget about the lore in GW1, forget original GW entirely, clearly we have no place in this game.

ANet has changed

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Meleagar/112012/24237_NCSoft-Sold-Arenanet-and-GW2-Out-For-Nexon-Investment

There is some truth in that, I think the general point is right. I’ve always believed that Nexon’s influence was all over the insane amounts of monetization GW2 has. But there are a lot of factual errors and incorrect assumptions, mainly regarding ascended gear. You can’t buy it off the TP, but you can buy your way around the primary timegates (Deldrimor steel, damask, Elonian leather). You’re still stuck gathering up quite a bit of other bound items, but none of it is timegated.

The pay2win argument doesn’t really hold up well. You can pay to get something faster/sooner, which is p2w in a temporary and minor way. But you can’t pay to get anything exclusive that improves your character…at least not outside of the temporary armor/strenght/regen/speed boosts available from BL chests. I think those items are more p2w than using gems>gold to get ascended (or even exotic) gear faster.

Posted by: risa.1382

risa.1382

There is some truth in that, I think the general point is right. I’ve always believed that Nexon’s influence was all over the insane amounts of monetization GW2 has. But there are a lot of factual errors and incorrect assumptions, mainly regarding ascended gear. You can’t buy it off the TP, but you can buy your way around the primary timegates (Deldrimor steel, damask, Elonian leather). You’re still stuck gathering up quite a bit of other bound items, but none of it is timegated.

The pay2win argument doesn’t really hold up well. You can pay to get something faster/sooner, which is p2w in a temporary and minor way. But you can’t pay to get anything exclusive that improves your character…at least not outside of the temporary armor/strenght/regen/speed boosts available from BL chests. I think those items are more p2w than using gems>gold to get ascended (or even exotic) gear faster.

The issue there is that they deliberately made the ascended grind so ridiculous to make you feel like spending money on gems is a good idea. The vision crystal part is not hard at all, the rest you can buy and those are the extremely grindy parts. It’s the difference between a game that is designed to be a great game for players and a game that is designed to make you feel like you need to spend money. One is making a great game and the other is exploiting your players, you can’t do both.

But on topic I was also very let down, not because they’re cash shop skins but like others because they’re BLC items. I wish people would stop calling it RNG and call it what it is, gambling.

There might have been one piece of silver lining in there, being that these skins don’t hold a candle to the quality of the originals. But then I realized that I’m even more insulted from them thinking they could use my love of GW1 to make me gamble on these things without even putting in the effort to get them right.

mrstealth.6701

The issue there is that they deliberately made the ascended grind so ridiculous to make you feel like spending money on gems is a good idea.

I’m sure that was at least part of the reasoning for making those materials tradable instead of bound. If I were actually bothering to craft ascended gear the whole idea of it being to “keep crafting profitable” would be utterly pointless for me, as I’d be spending a year or more using every last piece of D-steel/E-leather/damask to craft gear for 8 characters. Their stated purpose would apply to those only making 1-2 sets of it, but I find it hard to believe that their motives were purely to benefit crafters.

There might have been one piece of silver lining in there, being that these skins don’t hold a candle to the quality of the originals. But then I realized that I’m even more insulted from them thinking they could use my love of GW1 to make me gamble on these things without even putting in the effort to get them right.

I have to agree there. The new Tormented weapons, with a few exceptions, are a big step down from their GW1 counterparts. I had several in GW1, but the only GW2 Tormented weapon I would even consider is the shield. And I’m certainly not putting any real money towards that, or anything else in GW2. I’m at a point where I have to question even buying them with gold, as that still supports this entire over-monetization system they’ve set up.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

And out comes the tinfoil hat brigade.

One more time… Nexon’s share gives them the power to do absolutely kitten all. They don’t have majority control, they don’t even have enough shares to push someone onto the Board of Directors.

ANYTHING that Arena.net thinks players will be willing to spend cash dollars on is GOING to be in the gem store, because it’s their primary revenue stream. It wouldn’t take Nexon’s “influence” to convince them of that. That’s just common business sense. Arena.net exists to make money first and foremost, and always has.

It’s okay to take off the tin foil. There is no conspiracy at play.

mrstealth.6701

And out comes the tinfoil hat brigade.

One more time… Nexon’s share gives them the power to do absolutely kitten all. They don’t have majority control, they don’t even have enough shares to push someone onto the Board of Directors.

ANYTHING that Arena.net thinks players will be willing to spend cash dollars on is GOING to be in the gem store, because it’s their primary revenue stream. It wouldn’t take Nexon’s “influence” to convince them of that. That’s just common business sense. Arena.net exists to make money first and foremost, and always has.

It’s okay to take off the tin foil. There is no conspiracy at play.

Actually, they own just shy of 15%, and are the largest shareholder (aside from NC itself). That means Nexon has more say in how the NCSoft/Anet is run than any other shareholder. They aren’t in control, but they most certainly do have the power needed to have an influence on company operations, or tip board member elections in their favor.

edit: And let’s not forget the fact that Anet’s ‘monetization manager/producer’ came from Nexon just before their stock purchase. I believe that position didn’t actually exist before she came to fill it.