Anet goofed on the Asian hat design.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I like the hat. Wish I could wear the hat without the rest of the outfit really.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

It’s interesting to consider the multiple threads going on in this one:

1a) That isn’t an accurate representation of a real hat that fits the aesthetic they were going for.
1b) That actually is an accurate representation of certain types of hats.
1c) Who cares if that hat actually exists, it’s a Halloween costume meant to evoke a certain vibe, whether or not it’s accurate.

Meanwhile,

2a) Is it politically correct to say “Asian hat?”
2b) I think it’s more from this part of Asia, while Cantha draws influence more from that part.
2c) Geeze, can’t people see something different and not call it racist? GET OVER IT.
2d) It’s not racist, even if it is a Halloween costume.
2e) Is it racist to dress up like another culture if you’re a specific character in that culture? Like, being an “Indian” isn’t cool, but being an exorcist or ninja is usually okay?
2f) Just because it’s Halloween doesn’t mean it’s okay to be racist!
2d) Wait, who called it racist?
2e) This was clearly designed for the Chinese market.
2f) I don’t think an iconic hat is racist.
2g) I don’t know, I just wasn’t sure if I should be uncomfortable or not.
2h) GUYS, CANTHA =/= ASIA
2i) WHO ARE WE SHOUTING AT AGAIN?

Meanwhile,

3) Hats are the best. <3

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Mouhappai.5406

Mouhappai.5406

I am okay with this particular design, as I’ve said earlier in this thread, other than its implementation as a Halloween costume and brushing aside all my problems with Cantha itself.

However, I find worrying that people are so quick to jump in shouting “it’s just a Halloween thing who cares” the moment people start discussing it, because it’s the same kind of defensiveness you see in people who find it fun to use blackface or wear feathered headdresses when told they’re being disrespectful, right before they shut down the conversation.

Fantasy and Cantha or not, the fact is inspiration is drawn from existing cultures. Please be open to discussion (or criticism, if it comes to that) on it, and be willing to accept that what seems ok to you as an outsider to those cultures can rub someone who knows and/or lives it wrong. People are allowed to say if something is wrong.

Note that this is not adressed to anyone in particular, but more a response to the tone of some of the posts I’m seeing in this thread. OP was wrong in saying the hat was a result of “not enough research”, as has been pointed out – but several people seem to see a general criticism of the costume and immediately jump on the “it’s just for fun/Halloween sheesh cool down” excuse, when it is not, in fact, a good excuse. If the issue had been that the hat was designed after a real life hat that had significant cultural meaning but was used here as a trivial matter and thus cheapened that culture for the sake of looking cool in a game, for example, would they have still used that excuse? Probably, and that’s what my issue is.

Thank you sir, you’re like the only person in this thread who got what I was trying to get across, even if you may not agree with some of my points. I meant no disrespect to anyone but people get so defensive at a drop of a feather sometimes.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I’d like to point out that Cantha is inspired by Asia. This doesn’t mean that everything they add in game has to be an exact replica of Asian real world design, because Cantha is it’s own place.

Please don’t be that guy, OP. Please no.

Also, as has been pointed out, the in game hat design is prominent in vietnam.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

I am okay with this particular design, as I’ve said earlier in this thread, other than its implementation as a Halloween costume and brushing aside all my problems with Cantha itself.

However, I find worrying that people are so quick to jump in shouting “it’s just a Halloween thing who cares” the moment people start discussing it, because it’s the same kind of defensiveness you see in people who find it fun to use blackface or wear feathered headdresses when told they’re being disrespectful, right before they shut down the conversation.

Fantasy and Cantha or not, the fact is inspiration is drawn from existing cultures. Please be open to discussion (or criticism, if it comes to that) on it, and be willing to accept that what seems ok to you as an outsider to those cultures can rub someone who knows and/or lives it wrong. People are allowed to say if something is wrong.

Note that this is not adressed to anyone in particular, but more a response to the tone of some of the posts I’m seeing in this thread. OP was wrong in saying the hat was a result of “not enough research”, as has been pointed out – but several people seem to see a general criticism of the costume and immediately jump on the “it’s just for fun/Halloween sheesh cool down” excuse, when it is not, in fact, a good excuse. If the issue had been that the hat was designed after a real life hat that had significant cultural meaning but was used here as a trivial matter and thus cheapened that culture for the sake of looking cool in a game, for example, would they have still used that excuse? Probably, and that’s what my issue is.

No, this is you making this a way bigger deal than it is.

Posted by: Furesy.6935

Furesy.6935

All I get from this topic is…

Cantha confirmed???!!!?!?!??!?!!

Oh no, nvm