Anet is working on "Stuff"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

So a few of us white knight types have been saying for a while that Anet is working on stuff and a few of you not so white knight types have been saying Anet isn’t showing us anything because they don’t have anything to show. Enter this article:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/11/25/flameseeker-chronicles-navigating-guild-wars-2s-tangled-paths/

The article itself is what it is, but there’s one bit of it that I’ll quote here:

“Although I’m bound by blood oath not to discuss any specifics (it’s a Necromancer thing), I can say with certainty that, yes, ArenaNet is working on stuff. It is working very kitten stuff. There is no internal catastrophe or barren office lurking behind the studio’s policy of limited communication as some fans have feared. There are a lot of highly organized developers there doing things I was mostly not allowed to see up close because there are probably nuclear fallout shelters less secure than ANet HQ. But it’s safe to say that they didn’t pull together hundreds of people and tell them to look very busy and enthusiastic and excited about their game just because I happened to be in the vicinity.”

Now of course, this really means nothing. It’s one man saying he saw something at the studios when he was there, that he’s not allowed to talk about. But it was being done.

The same stuff a lot of us have been saying. He’s saying straight out the fans who say Anet doesn’t have plans in the background are incorrect.

I suppose time will tell, but it’s what I’ve always believed.

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Of course they have “stuff” under work but the question is will that bring us actually good content for endgame pve/pvp/wvw or will it be another trait/NPE fiasco that no one asked for.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Not to mention when he says " But it’s safe to say that they didn’t pull together hundreds of people " while some people claim Anet outsource everything and there are barely 50 people working there.

If the bulk of the content we’ve experienced so far has been developed by a team of 20 people I am really curious what 250+ people will be delivering when ever we get to see what they’re working on.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Sounds like an expansion. Hopefully we will get Elona, paragons and gw2 raids.

Seriously though, their living story team only consists of 20 people, everyone should have been expecting an expansion. I’m guessing first half of 2015. With their “communication policy”, it’s no surprise they don’t talk about it until much closer to release than one would expect.

Posted by: leviathan.2148

leviathan.2148

Is there any reference of Anet confirming the 20 dev size of Living World Team?

I am an engineer – a pianist of destruction! Now please go back to standing in my AOE.

http://wpwhendead.tumblr.com - a GW2 webcomic about a Charr and a Skritt

Posted by: Kveldulf.7605

Kveldulf.7605

More LS updates! Yay!

Kveldulf Frost – Thief (Charr)
Wlaadas Frost – Warrior (Charr) Torlic Frost – Guardian (Norn)
http://amalthea-gw2.de

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The same stuff a lot of us have been saying. He’s saying straight out the fans who say Anet doesn’t have plans in the background are incorrect.

That’s not what he’s saying, actually. He is saying that from what he saw, they are working hard, but it seems he wasn’t really allowed to see what they are working on. He just assumes it’s something big – but for all we know, they might have been working on the current LS and new gemshop additions.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Fernling.1729

I saw it in a forum post or interview or something in the past, I can’t seem to find it right now. Maybe someone else will be kind enough to send you in the right direction.
Surely I didn’t just make it up, right? Maybe I did.

Galen Grey.4709

yes. it comes from Angel McCoy herself.

Source: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/Enough-of-your-GMPC-please/page/3#post4193277

“Our team changes in size, but there are just a little over twenty people on it at any given time.”

Posted by: Mavis.1463

Mavis.1463

Might as well be gemstore items and LS.
I’ve lost hope of anet ever releasing an expansion or any fulfilling content.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Any rational person would truly believe they work on stuff, otherwise they wouldn’t have a job. What it really boils down to is, what stuff. Is it 2 year old bugs that have been reported over and over?

Also, i have no idea how from one (i’d assume fairly short visit) he could claim “There is no internal catastrophe”. Not that i would assume there is, but every company has it’s share of drama and disorganization.

While the article was well written, it wasn’t all that informative.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Neve.7134

Neve.7134

Problem is not if they’re doing stuffs or not. They do of course, without any doubt. And probably the stuff they’re working on are long and difficult to create from 0. Problem is “is this stuff what players want?”

Galen Grey.4709

That’s not what he’s saying, actually. He is saying that from what he saw, they are working hard, but it seems he wasn’t really allowed to see what they are working on. He just assumes it’s something big – but for all we know, they might have been working on the current LS and new gemshop additions.

Except he clearly says he saw 100s of people working hard while the living story team is 20 people in total. Anet also stated they have over 350 employees and there are at the very least 300 people on linked in who list their current workplace as Arenanet.

Somehow i doubt it takes 330 people to create the gemstore stuff.

Of course I dont expect all 330 to be working on whatever big content such as an expansion. You have teams working on PvP, teams working on features etc.. But still there is a big big chunk of devs unaccounted for. Since now we have confirmation they arent being paid to sit around do nothing they have to be working on something.

after all since release the team has only increased in size. These are mostly the same people who in less then 5 years (accounting for tool development, design, conceptualization etc…) created 25 zones, 8 dungeons with 3 different paths each, good amount of jumping puzzles, WvW etc… Why were they able to create so much before and not now? Answer there is no reason, that same output power is there chances are we simply arent aware on what they are working on.

Mavis.1463

If they’ve seriously wasted 3 years with LS and trying to fix bugs then that’s it.
I’m not even going to bother any more. Anet’s silence is aggravating and insulting and to be honest, I don’t understand how so many people can stand it.
I wouldn’t even mind if anet announced they’re pulling the plug, just announce something.
LS and kittenty trailers hardly count as announcements or content.

Fernling.1729

The living story update will not be interrupted by the pvp patch.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Would have been a huge mistake if it did. Imagine putting “on hold” atleast 70% of their player base for that “10%” who play PvP..the other 20% being WvW.

Mavis.1463

Agreed, I wouldn’t want to miss out the bi-weekly grind.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Grinding new content is better then grinding release-day content.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

stuff stuff stuff ’ – skritt

Attachments:

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Sephas.8793

Sephas.8793

stuff stuff stuff ’ – skritt

Beat me to the skritt quote. GG

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Stuff. What is stuff? Stuff is a broad concept, and may include, among other stuff, such stuff as:

• creating Days of Our Lives Online! Which would be the coolest stuff ever.
  • daily Elvis lookalike contests
  • playing Golvellius on Sega Master System emulators
  • mounted precursor dueling
  • bunny juggling
  • turtle races
  • redesigning more perfectly fine existing systems not in need of redesigning

So until we know precisely what ‘stuff’ they are working on, I recommend we maintain an elevated degree of non-assumptive behavior, because, given previous deliveries of stuff, the stuff being worked on may not be quite the stuff we’d hoped for.

See also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp7130Bjec4

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

I dont blame them for that security because there are companies (Yes you Blizzard) what copy/paste every at least decent feature into their mmos sometime before those one are even released just because info leak.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

I have the feeling with the start of season 3 we will see much more content delivered beside the core story.

Vayne.8563

Stuff. What is stuff? Stuff is a broad concept, and may include, among other stuff, such stuff as:

• bunny juggling
  • turtle races

So until we know precisely what ‘stuff’ they are working on, I recommend we maintain an elevated degree of non-assumptive behavior, because, given previous deliveries of stuff, the stuff being worked on may not be quite the stuff we’d hoped for.

It doesn’t actually matter. Not when people on these forums are saying Anet is saying nothing because they’re not working on anything.

Now we don’t know what this stuff is. But since you have any number of people saying Anet is only doing the living story and working on nothing else and you have a guy that’s there saying there’s more being worked on, I’ll think I believe him.

Your post would be relevant if multiple people haven’t already said in different threads that Anet isn’t talking because Anet has nothing to talk about.

But people have said that. This is the answer to that.

Anet is not talking because Anet is not talking. Having nothing to do with what they may or may not be working on.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

I really don’t see the point in this topic, other than for it to cause an issue between the people who believe Anet ignores us, and the people who believe Anet do not, you could post 1000 links to articles about anything, unless Anet come onto these forums and post it themselves, its all hearsay,

They may very well be working on bigger things to come, but you cannot very well ignore the 100’s of bugs reported in the bugs section of the forums that are still not fixed, some of them bugs are around since before LS season 1……. another perfect example is the Meta event Orge wars, ( around since the game was launched ) yet still bugging out, and it just happened to be linked to an exotic drop that can only be gotten from that event!!!!! It stands to reason that if you make a drop linked to an event, you need to make sure that event works all the time without fail.

Regardless on what they are working on now, the game has become stale and boring for a lot of people the new LS chapters can be completed in a few hours, (for us who are still here playing) and unless your into grinding for crests for the new armor the updates are old fast, many of us have moved onto other games, with less and less reason to return, that in itself becomes a problem for Anet, I have given up trying to get my friends to come back to play this game, most have uninstalled and will not return, that alone says a lot.

(edited by Ok I Did It.2854)

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

We all know living story will coming thats nothing where you need so much secret.
There are basicly 3 thing what they can work on:

- GW3 – highly unlikely because they just launch GW2 and game is in full swing spliting team will be dumb idea.
- Entirely new game – Who knows there are many studios what doing that
- Expansion – I am almost sure they work on that because thats simply to much security for just another Living Story. Recent hints also support this like NCSoft report where they said its about time for expansion.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Vayne.8563

The point of this topic, simply put, is to stop people from saying that Anet isn’t announcing anything because they’re not working on anything.

If you want to say Anet doesn’t listen to you that’s perfectly fine. I don’t listen to people all the time either, because I have my own ideas. I listen to people who give me suggestions that fit the ideas I already had, but not people who don’t really understand where I’m coming from (of which there are many).

Anet listens to some people and not to others, because some people have better ideas than others, some people are more attuned to what the game was designed to be than others and some people suggest things that are too hard to program or too expensive to implement.

I think whether or not Anet listens to or doesn’t listen to people is off topic here.

But if people are saying that Anet really isn’t working on anything, and there are only a few people working there, well, this is their answer.

I don’t know why any new information would be pointless, unless of course you’re scared of what that information suggests.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

The point of this topic, simply put, is to stop people from saying that Anet isn’t announcing anything because they’re not working on anything.

Colin already talked about a big team that worked at big stuff in the background, beside the PS 2 years ago .. at that time i expected an expansion after maybe 1 year .. and then at least when we got the first feature patch ..

Meanwhile i think that the wardrobe and the megaserver was what they call “big things” .. and the stuff the now work on are maybe some raids at max level 90 where you can only get some new skins when your one of the 5% that can beat them.

And now i wait for my personal stalker to flame me for that .. lol

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

• bunny juggling
  • turtle races

It doesn’t actually matter. Not when people on these forums are saying Anet is saying nothing because they’re not working on anything.

Now we don’t know what this stuff is. But since you have any number of people saying Anet is only doing the living story and working on nothing else and you have a guy that’s there saying there’s more being worked on, I’ll think I believe him.

Your post would be relevant if multiple people haven’t already said in different threads that Anet isn’t talking because Anet has nothing to talk about.

Anet is not talking because Anet is not talking. Having nothing to do with what they may or may not be working on.

Tachenon’s post was just as relevant as yours.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Your point still doesn’t make any sense though, the argument about people saying anet isn’t doing anything because they don’t announce it is already Mute, we already know they are doing LS2, and will likely recycle more content for LS3 and LS4, we might get a new zone which is time locked for events like the current zones, the problem with zones like this is, eventually when enough ppl stop going to them, they are harder to complete,

The entire concept around LS really is kind of flawed, but its clearly an idea that was put forward that they where never going to back down from,

Im HAPPY that some people love it, and will continue to play the game as it is, as that’s what a game is for, however they have pushed way to far into the causal gamer side now that anyone who plays the game for longer than an hour is bored, and that is what is happening, if you personally are in a guild that is 100% fully active, happy days for you, sadly that is not the case echo’d across the game,

Are Anet working on things, YES 100%, will they announce things ahead of time probably not, can you admit to the fact that not everyone has the same fun playing as you do, probably not,

WvW is suffering,
sPvP is suffering
PvE is ok for 2 hours every 2 weeks then its dead, ( unless your a causal ) people who want to play longer and farm for mats for weapons/armor are being hammered, CS, never seems to have events anymore, and when there is theres 200 people at them and you get little to no loot.

Will Anet eventually address all the issues, probably yes, will it be before 1000’s more leave the game, probably not, they need a target audience, they made it clear that is the causal, everyone else, pack your bags and leave.

I felt in GW1 there was always something happening, and Anet was always announcing upcoming events etc, in GW2 I feel there is nothing left to do, and we hear very little.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

They’ve been working on “stuff” since the game launched, yet this is the slowest progressing AAA MMORPG I’ve ever seen. Why do you think that is?

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

So a few of us white knight types have been saying for a while that Anet is working on stuff and a few of you not so white knight types have been saying Anet isn’t showing us anything because they don’t have anything to show. Enter this article:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/11/25/flameseeker-chronicles-navigating-guild-wars-2s-tangled-paths/

The article itself is what it is, but there’s one bit of it that I’ll quote here:

“Although I’m bound by blood oath not to discuss any specifics (it’s a Necromancer thing), I can say with certainty that, yes, ArenaNet is working on stuff. It is working very kitten stuff. There is no internal catastrophe or barren office lurking behind the studio’s policy of limited communication as some fans have feared. There are a lot of highly organized developers there doing things I was mostly not allowed to see up close because there are probably nuclear fallout shelters less secure than ANet HQ. But it’s safe to say that they didn’t pull together hundreds of people and tell them to look very busy and enthusiastic and excited about their game just because I happened to be in the vicinity.”

Now of course, this really means nothing. It’s one man saying he saw something at the studios when he was there, that he’s not allowed to talk about. But it was being done.

Yep LS and the gem store both count as “stuff”.

Galen Grey.4709

Your point still doesn’t make any sense though, the argument about people saying anet isn’t doing anything because they don’t announce it is already Mute, we already know they are doing LS2, and will likely recycle more content for LS3 and LS4, we might get a new zone which is time locked for events like the current zones, the problem with zones like this is, eventually when enough ppl stop going to them, they are harder to complete,

The entire concept around LS really is kind of flawed, but its clearly an idea that was put forward that they where never going to back down from,

Im HAPPY that some people love it, and will continue to play the game as it is, as that’s what a game is for, however they have pushed way to far into the causal gamer side now that anyone who plays the game for longer than an hour is bored, and that is what is happening, if you personally are in a guild that is 100% fully active, happy days for you, sadly that is not the case echo’d across the game,

Are Anet working on things, YES 100%, will they announce things ahead of time probably not, can you admit to the fact that not everyone has the same fun playing as you do, probably not,

WvW is suffering,
sPvP is suffering
PvE is ok for 2 hours every 2 weeks then its dead, ( unless your a causal ) people who want to play longer and farm for mats for weapons/armor are being hammered, CS, never seems to have events anymore, and when there is theres 200 people at them and you get little to no loot.

Will Anet eventually address all the issues, probably yes, will it be before 1000’s more leave the game, probably not, they need a target audience, they made it clear that is the causal, everyone else, pack your bags and leave.

I felt in GW1 there was always something happening, and Anet was always announcing upcoming events etc, in GW2 I feel there is nothing left to do, and we hear very little.

He actually meant doing something beyond the living story.

As you probably noticed by now there are 2 sides to this argument.
Some who believe that LS is all Anet are interested in doing and all we’re ever going to get until things get so bad that Anet will not have any option but be forced to deliver an expansion and there is the other side who believe LS is just an awesome way to keep us busy until they finish an expansion or releases like an expansion (truckload of new zones, new dungeons etc…)

Galen Grey.4709

Yep LS and the gem store both count as “stuff”.

They also count as 20 – 30 employees out of 350 which is actually Vayne’s point.

Tachenon.5270

• bunny juggling
  • turtle races

Admit it! You hope they are working on Days of Our Live Online (DOOLO) as much as I do! Which faction you gonna choose?

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

Swagger.1459

If you want to say Anet doesn’t listen to you that’s perfectly fine. I don’t listen to people all the time either, because I have my own ideas. I listen to people who give me suggestions that fit the ideas I already had, but not people who don’t really understand where I’m coming from (of which there are many).

Anet listens to some people and not to others, because some people have better ideas than others, some people are more attuned to what the game was designed to be than others and some people suggest things that are too hard to program or too expensive to implement.

I think whether or not Anet listens to or doesn’t listen to people is off topic here.

But if people are saying that Anet really isn’t working on anything, and there are only a few people working there, well, this is their answer.

I don’t know why any new information would be pointless, unless of course you’re scared of what that information suggests.

your post will not stop players from communicating their thoughts and feelings. anet leaves most players no choice but to speculate because of the lack of transparency. your op and the quote do nothing except create more speculation and controversy.

question time… why do you think anet is so tight lipped about development while other games are more transparent through public testing realms and communicate openly about potential or in the works development?

Vayne.8563

• bunny juggling
  • turtle races

In your opinion. However since I made the first post, and I say his post pretty much ignores my point, we’ll have to agree to disagree.

My post doesn’t have the problems he’s pointing out because the issues with it he has have nothing to do with my intention.

Vayne.8563

your post will not stop players from communicating their thoughts and feelings. anet leaves most players no choice but to speculate because of the lack of transparency. your op and the quote do nothing except create more speculation and controversy.

question time… why do you think anet is so tight lipped about development while other games are more transparent through public testing realms and communicate openly about potential or in the works development?

I’m sure people will keep saying anything, but there are reasonable people out there reading this post who can now more easily dismiss those claims. Obviously something is being worked on, unless this journalist is lying.

So people might see people say that and shrug and move on…because now there’s something to show as a counterpoint (as opposed to just logic which worked before for some). This should help others make more educated decisions about posts that pretty much make stuff up.

Galen Grey.4709

No one wants to stop anyone from communicating. Its just pointing facts people can factor in in their toughts and feelings in order to get a better picture.
Ultimately we’re all speculating and ultimately we could all be totally wrong (who knows maybe they are developing Gw3 )

As for why Anet are so tight lipped? because the community forced the, to. Time and time again if Anet said something and then deviated even an inch from that initial message then they were viciously attacked for it not to mention even years later (see manifesto for example) people point at that calling them liars and how anything they say cannot be trusted.

Is it really a surprised they decided to make it policy they only talk about stuff once its set in stone and they know for relative certainty its not going to change?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

They’ve been “working” on precursor crafting for 2 years now. They are very good at “working” on stuff. Their problem is in delivering stuff.

Things they are “working” on:

1. precursor crafting
2. cooking 500
3. jewelcrafter 500
4. new legendary weapons
5. legendary trinkets
6. new skills
7. more weapons for each clas

These are all things they have been “working” on for more than 12 months… yet they have not delivered a single one.

I’ll remain skeptical…

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

Ugh you guys are hard to please.

If they werent doing anything

“I KNEW IT ARENANET ISNT DOING ANYTHING, YAY FOR LS!!!”

And now they are doing something

“Hurr is this even worth it??? I bet it is 10 LS episodes!! The content must be bad (even if it wasnt been released yet nor we know anything about it)
“Obviously not an expansion omg why bother”

Also,
Did I read"Bi weekly grind" ? Really? Are you guys forced to play LS? also,I think you don’t know what grind means,you are not grinding,you are playing the story,and if you want to,you might not play it if you consider it a grind.

Swagger.1459

• bunny juggling
  • turtle races

In your opinion. However since I made the first post, and I say his post pretty much ignores my point, we’ll have to agree to disagree.

My post doesn’t have the problems he’s pointing out because the issues with it he has have nothing to do with my intention.

we are all entitled to our opinions…

you are entitled to disagree, but his/her post was relevant and interrelated to the topic at hand and didn’t warrant a “relevancy” tag.

Vayne.8563

• bunny juggling
  • turtle races

we are all entitled to our opinions…

you are entitled to disagree, but his/her post was relevant and interrelated to the topic at hand and didn’t warrant a “relevancy” tag.

Which doesn’t change anything I’ve said one whit. It still doesn’t apply to what I was saying, relevant or not.

Tachenon.5270

As for why Anet are so tight lipped? because the community forced the, to.

Oh? In that case, come on, community! Let’s use our community force powers to get ’em to rollback the trait system redesign and NPE. ;D

Ahem.

Nope. No one ‘forced’ them to clam up. The powers that be at anet chose that policy. However illogical and detrimental it may be, it’s entirely self-inflicted.

On a more personal note, personally, I think it might be fun to play a DiMera.

The table is a fable.

Vayne.8563

Oh? In that case, come on, community! Let’s use our community force powers to get ’em to rollback the trait system redesign and NPE. ;D

Ahem.

Nope. No one ‘forced’ them to clam up. The powers that be at anet chose that policy. However illogical and detrimental it may be, it’s entirely self-inflicted.

Long before the trait redesign and the NPE this community has had a strong toxic element. I think it probably started pretty much from the second month when ascended gear was released.

Some people who left the game then are still commenting on the forums now. Still trying to wear down the game because they feel let down. Even if they don’t play the game and don’t really know any better.

Anet didn’t make this decision because of the trait revamp. They made it, more likely because of the reaction to their change in precursor crafting.

Anet could have handled that situation a lot better in my opinion.

Swagger.1459

I’m sure people will keep saying anything, but there are reasonable people out there reading this post who can now more easily dismiss those claims. Obviously something is being worked on, unless this journalist is lying.

So people might see people say that and shrug and move on…because now there’s something to show as a counterpoint (as opposed to just logic which worked before for some). This should help others make more educated decisions about posts that pretty much make stuff up.

well thank you for making an attempt to help with community relations.

so about that question I asked…

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Grasping at straws, this thread is~

To elaborate, how does this thread help anyone? How does it shed more light on what exactly is in the works? How does it loosen the tight-lipped policy? (those are all rhetorical questions, mind you)

Frankly, both the OP and the article boil down to more stringling along, this time by means of a proxy.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

All I want to know is when we are getting this. Best. Thing. Ever.

Vayne.8563

Grasping at straws, this thread is~

Pointing out a comment in an article that a journalist felt should be made is grasping at straws.

I think the people who want to see this game sink are the ones grasping at straws. Five years from now, when they game is still fine, people will be telling us it’s dying.

So far, there hasn’t been an MMO released since Guild Wars 2 has been released that has been as successful. Maybe there’s a reason for that.

Galen Grey.4709

Ahem.

of course Arenanet chose to adopt that policy. Did I say otherwise? I was only pointing out why I believe they made that decision.