Anet know something that we don't?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tokugawa.1268

Tokugawa.1268

I haven’t seen anyone mention the 800 lb gorilla in the room in regards to Anet’s switch on gear philosophy. Could it be that they are doing this because they have noticed a very noticeable drop in server activity that has progressed over time? Could the data metrics they possess suggest something is wrong? One of the major financial concerns for this game long term was how would it be able to generate a long term, consistent stream of revenue. For some strange reason, a number of people believed that Anet was fine with droves of people leaving this game or keeping it as an on again, off again game. The problem with this belief, from a financial point of view, is the people behaving this way are far less likely to spend any additional money. This was always a cause for concern for Anet. After all, the likelihood of gobs of new game purchases extending past the new year is highly unlikely and always was with or without this upcoming change. So player retention is definitely a focus for Anet and with it, a focus on ways to keep these retained players spending money. This brings us to this upcoming change. I personally find it rather shocking they would have had such a fundamental change in philosophy though we haven’t seen all the details as of yet. I do agree that something needed to be done since the “endgame” is pretty sparse at the moment.

As for endgame, some of the things I love to see them implement:

1. open world PvP complete with conquerable guild keeps. For a game called “Guild Wars” there is nothing that promotes any activity that reflects the title.

2. If they insist on going with this new item system, make it so that agony mitigation is the only additional stat thus making the power creep on agony alone. This way it makes Ascended and exotic gear basically the same for all intents and purposes

3. Somehow tie in sPvP with the rest of the world…and nerf thieves and mesmers. Lol, I couldn’t help but throw that last bit in there

in Suggestions

Posted by: Loumy.7841

Loumy.7841

That’s what I am guessing as well Tokugawa. That this might be result of financial metrics. It sure doesn’t make sense in regards to successful branding.
I’m personally hoping that there will be an alternative to grinding new gear all the time – maybe something like buying it with real money. I want that option – if I feel to cheap to pay, I can grind a some of the stuff and buy the rest.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Umm, it is their game, they probably know what the first expansion is while we don’t in addition to other information that hasn’t breached their closed doors, hello!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

“3. Somehow tie in sPvP with the rest of the world…and nerf thieves and mesmers. Lol, I couldn’t help but throw that last bit in there”

Only if mobs and other classes get nerfed accordingly too in order to keep the balance.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wasselin.1235

Wasselin.1235

There must have been a huge drop off in players and the Halloween event must not have brought them back. I just wish they would acknowledge that and thoroughly explain the reason for changing direction beyond a simple sentence that “many players have been asking for it.”

“Please find my dear friends… Dead or Alive” -redmakoto

in Suggestions

Posted by: ExpiredLifetime.1083

ExpiredLifetime.1083

Basically my belief is that they saw how many people their game attracted, pulled a Blizzard and got money hungry, and are now trying to keep them playing.

in Suggestions

Loumy.7841

Basically my belief is that they saw how many people their game attracted, pulled a Blizzard and got money hungry, and are now trying to keep them playing.

And the long term consequences will be that in the end, these dungeon loving players will move onto the next conventional MMO – and GW2 will be an unauthentic brand that sold out – [EDIT—>] not making any money, cause players moved on.

(edited by Loumy.7841)

in Suggestions

ExpiredLifetime.1083

And the long term consequences will be that in the end, these dungeon loving players will move onto the next conventional MMO – and GW2 will be an unauthentic brand that sold out.

Which is pretty much what’s going to happen.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

It takes months to develop new MMO content; there’s no way that this could have been done in response to a recent change in server traffic. It’s been planned for a long time.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

Yeah, how evil is it for a company to make money, anyway?

in Suggestions

ExpiredLifetime.1083

It takes months to develop new MMO content; there’s no way that this could have been done in response to a recent change in server traffic. It’s been planned for a long time.

If you check the gw2db website, the Yakkington items have already been in there.

in Suggestions

ExpiredLifetime.1083

So you like for your car dealer to lie to your face about what the car has, just to get more money out of you?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

If you check the gw2db website, the Yakkington items have already been in there.

No they’re not.

in Suggestions

ExpiredLifetime.1083

No they’re not.

I actually saw Yakkington armor in there that wasn’t in game. So.

in Suggestions

Leiloni.7951

No they’re not.

See screenshots. No Yakkington stuff in there.

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Shootsfoot.9276

So you like for your car dealer to lie to your face about what the car has, just to get more money out of you?

Horrible analogy, but I will humor you. First off, I test drove the car myself, I researched the car myself. I then bought the car and then drove it for 50k miles.

Now I’m to expect the dealer to take it back because there’s a new model with better features and other people can get it?

(edited by Shootsfoot.9276)

in Suggestions

Loumy.7841

Horrible analogy.

Actually it’s a good analogy. Would you think positively of that car dealer and buy your next car from him?

in Suggestions

Wasselin.1235

I don’t think so. Why would they change direction unless they saw some kind of reason to after release? There would be no reason to risk angering their customers unless there was a reason— like a drop in the amount of people playing. Or maybe low Gem sales during the halloween event.

in Suggestions

ExpiredLifetime.1083

No they’re not.

Then I have no clue where I saw it, but I know for a fact I did beforehand.
Oh, I just found it on the wiki. That’s where it was when I was looking for skins.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Yakkington%27s_armor

in Suggestions

Shootsfoot.9276

Horrible analogy.

Actually it’s a good analogy. Would you think positively of that car dealer and buy your next car from him?

See my edit.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wriith.6581

Wriith.6581

Horrible analogy.

Last I checked, cars don’t evolve after purchase. MMORPGS however, do. Not saying I agree with the changes, just saying that the myriad analogies being tossed around the forums are relatively weak and in many cases totally off-base.

in Suggestions

Leiloni.7951

No they’re not.

Oh, I just found it on the wiki. That’s where it was when I was looking for skins.

That’s an Exotic armor set, not Ascended. It’s an existing set of gear named after a famous GW character. There are a number of such sets:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armor_set#Named_armor_sets

in Suggestions

ExpiredLifetime.1083

Horrible analogy, but I will humor you. First off, I test drove the car myself, I researched the car myself. I then bought the car and then drove it for 50k miles.

Now I’m to expect the dealer to take it back because there’s a new model with better features and other people can get it?

…how is that even remotely similar to this?
Really.

We were lied to about where this game was going to be taken.
Let’s put it this way. You go to your car dealer, you test drive a car but want a different color, so you pay for it and order one. When your car comes in, its not what you ordered.
How would you react?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ditton.3149

Ditton.3149

they will never go open world pvp..its even more of a niche market than the one from Gw1. They want a sustained progressing happy pve world because its the most concurrently running type of customer base, open world pvp would alienate more than half of their players.

in Suggestions

ExpiredLifetime.1083

No they’re not.

That’s an Exotic armor set, not Ascended. It’s an existing set of gear named after a famous GW character. There are a number of such sets:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armor_set#Named_armor_sets

But its not in the game, yet the Ascended items share the same name. That’s what my assumption was.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shayde.2564

Shayde.2564

WoW = subscription model
GW2 = microtransaction model

Until they offer items and services that players actually want to pay for, they will not make money off of it. This gear change does nothing but piss off their core audience.

in Suggestions

Shootsfoot.9276

Really.

Let’s put it this way. You go to your car dealer, you test drive a car but want a different color, so you pay for it and order one. When your car comes in, its not what you ordered.
How would you react?

This is really a ridiculous analogy, as was said before…cars don’t get changed once purchased. Not to mention you’re crying like a little baby about a car that you haven’t even SEEN yet.

You’ll have to try something different.

You got many, MANY hours out of this game so far for 60 bucks. You are getting free content added monthly. You are not paying a monthly fee. You have gotten more for 60 bucks than any game without a subscription that I can remember in a long, long time.

in Suggestions

Tokugawa.1268

I should have left the nerf thieves and mesmers comments out. I couldn’t help myself though, lol. It’s one of those forums posting requirements, though usually only in the PvP section.

At the end of the day, Anet is a business and a business needs to make money. If that business is making money, then said business needs to find out how to maximize it’s earning potential. That’s what Anet is doing now though in a very heavy handed way. I would not be surprised to find out that Anet had considered the possibility of having gear progression and planned accordingly. As Rhyse said, developing MMO content takes time. I just hope that the power creep stats are limited to the “resist” needed for the current dungeon. It would still create a gating effect but it’s effect would be minimized for the “resists” specific content thus mitigating people’s need to acquire it.

in Suggestions

ExpiredLifetime.1083

WoW = subscription model

Until they offer items and services that players actually want to pay for, they will not make money off of it. This gear change does nothing but piss off their core audience.

Yes, but with more armor sets, more items that have to be forged, etc. the more likely someone is to hit the cash shop for forge items, gold or transmutation stones.

in Suggestions

Loumy.7841

I’m pretty sure that the people in A-net have different and strong opinions about this, but devs got nothing to say when the finance guys from up top come down and start getting “great ideas”!

in Suggestions

Wasselin.1235

WoW = subscription model

But maybe their numbers show that the “core audience” wasn’t big enough to sustain the game. More people playing increases the likelihood of people buying things from the store.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shayde.2564

Shayde.2564

No, but this car was designed and advertised to never need an oil change. Now suddenly at 20k miles the dealer tells us to start changing the oil for optimum performance? Yeah that’s false advertising.

in Suggestions

ExpiredLifetime.1083

Really.

How would you react?

This is really a ridiculous analogy, as was said before…cars don’t get changed once purchased. Not to mention you’re crying like a little baby about a car that you haven’t even SEEN yet.

You got many, MANY hours out of this game so far for 60 bucks. You are getting free content added monthly. You are not paying a monthly fee. You have gotten more for 60 bucks than any game without a subscription that I can remember in a long, long time.

Okay since you seem to not understand anything I’ve said, let me make it as clear as I possibly can. Hell, I’ll even use a video ANet produced.
Guild Wars 2 Manifesto:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35BPhT-KI1E

They are changing a basic principle that they built the game upon, and they promised to deliver. What a lot of people, including myself, were expecting.

Why? Likely for money.
Is that evil? I would call it so. You may not, but I do.

in Suggestions

Loumy.7841

Short-term money that is. Goodbye to long-term profit.

in Suggestions

Shootsfoot.9276

Really.

How would you react?

Okay since you seem to not understand anything I’ve said, let me make it as clear as I possibly can. Hell, I’ll even use a video ANet produced.
Guild Wars 2 Manifesto:

They are changing a basic principle that they built the game upon, and they promised to deliver. What a lot of people, including myself, were expecting.

Why? Likely for money.

Yes, imagine that. A software company wants to make money so they can produce more content.

Shocking, really.

in Suggestions

ExpiredLifetime.1083

Really.

How would you react?

Guild Wars 2 Manifesto:

Why? Likely for money.

Yes, imagine that. A software company wants to make money so they can produce more content.

Shocking, really.

You seem to be stuck on the “content” and not the promise of what would be delivered. But hey, have fun playing a game that you can’t guarantee will be in a year what it is now if the developers won’t stand by what they say they will and won’t do.

in Suggestions

Leiloni.7951

Really.

How would you react?

Guild Wars 2 Manifesto:

Why? Likely for money.

Shocking, really.

Except the only reason they sold so many copies initially was because we all bought into the marketing hype. We bought that game, not this new game. What makes them think adding in gear progression will make them money, when the majority of their audience only bough the game because it had no gear progression?

in Suggestions

Shootsfoot.9276

Really.

How would you react?

Guild Wars 2 Manifesto:

Why? Likely for money.

Shocking, really.

Except the only reason they sold so many copies initially was because we all bought into the marketing hype. We bought that game, not this new game. What makes them think adding in gear progression will make them money, when the majority of their audience only bough the game because it had no gear progression?

Really? Stood around in Lions Arch lately? Seen many people? I’m on a high-population server and there’s a handful of people in there.

Orr is outright deserted, the low-level areas have maybe 6 people in them at a time.

Where are all these people you’re saying bought the game for no gear progression?

I’m on a high-population server and I’m certainly not seeing them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

Completely wrong.

It’s like buying an electric car and finding out that 2 months later someone is going to come rip out the electric motor and throw in a generic gas guzzler.

If you wanted a gas guzzler don’t you think you would have bought one?

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

in Suggestions

Shootsfoot.9276

Really.

How would you react?

Guild Wars 2 Manifesto:

Why? Likely for money.

Shocking, really.

Really? Stood around in Lions Arch lately? Seen many people? I’m on a high-population server and there’s a handful of people in there.

Orr is outright deserted, save for the 20 people doing that stupid zerg, the low-level areas have maybe 6 people in them at a time.

Where are all these people you’re saying bought the game for no gear progression?

in Suggestions

Shootsfoot.9276

Completely wrong.

It’s like buying an electric car and finding out that 2 months later someone is going to come rip out the electric motor and throw in a generic gas guzzler.

If you wanted a gas guzzler don’t you think you would have bought one?

/facepalm

And while we are at it, lets have aliens come down and put square wheels on it, too!

Jeeze.

in Suggestions

ExpiredLifetime.1083

Really.

How would you react?

Guild Wars 2 Manifesto:

Why? Likely for money.

Shocking, really.

Exactly why people are in an outrage. This is not the game that they bought. It’s being turned into something completely different.

Thanks for entirely proving my point, by the way.

in Suggestions

Shootsfoot.9276

Really.

How would you react?

Guild Wars 2 Manifesto:

Why? Likely for money.

Shocking, really.

Exactly why people are in an outrage. This is not the game that they bought. It’s being turned into something completely different.

Thanks for entirely proving my point, by the way.

So where are they? They must all be on one single server, because like I said…areas on my server are absolutely deserted.

in Suggestions

ExpiredLifetime.1083

Really.

How would you react?

Guild Wars 2 Manifesto:

Why? Likely for money.

Shocking, really.

Orr is outright deserted, save for the 20 people doing that stupid zerg, the low-level areas have maybe 6 people in them at a time.

Although the population density on the server screen is probably the most invalid thing I’ve seen in a very, very long time, there’s plenty of people still playing this game. It was built upon the same model as GW1, people have expected it to stay with that same model.

Try looking in WvW, try in sPvP.

When you don’t get what you were promised and expect, you’re always going to be a bit put off.

in Suggestions

Shootsfoot.9276

Really.

How would you react?

Guild Wars 2 Manifesto:

Why? Likely for money.

Shocking, really.

Although the population density on the server screen is probably the most invalid thing I’ve seen in a very, very long time, there’s plenty of people still playing this game. It was built upon the same model as GW1, people have expected it to stay with that same model.

When you don’t get what you were promised and expect, you’re always going to be a bit put off.

Answer my question….where are they?

in Suggestions

Tokugawa.1268

Honestly, there are some other ways they could have made some additional money via the cash shop though one of the ways would have voided their promise of pay to win

1. Mounts. Make them unusable in WvWvW. Profit
2. cool clothing skins like they have in Aion
3. They could add in items via the cash shop which allow you to enhance gear more effectively. This last one is a major source of conflict though. Many FTP games out there have those items, like Runes of Magic or Aion. The problem is those items become pay to win since you can only enhance an item so far without one. I recall Anet mentioning they didn’t want any pay to win items in the cash shop. I also recall they didn’t want item progression

in Suggestions

ExpiredLifetime.1083

Really.

How would you react?

Guild Wars 2 Manifesto:

Why? Likely for money.

Shocking, really.

Answer my question….where are they?

Christ, you seem to be like a hell bent child on this. The players are spread out across everything. sPvP, WvWvW, dungeons, as well as servers.

If you’re on Henge of Denravi I can assure you that although its shown as a high pop server, its far from that. I have no issues finding a metric kittenton of people in LA on Crystal Desert during prime time.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

/facepalm

And while we are at it, lets have aliens come down and put square wheels on it, too!

Jeeze.

What a constructive & convincing response.

I’m shocked you can’t convince more people around to your way of thinking when you debate this well!

The analogy in the post I first quoted made no sense, this isn’t buying one thing and demanding an upgrade free when the next thing comes out – that would be GW1 players expecting GW2 to come free for them.

What this is is us buying one product and then having the very core of it replaced with its opposite.

And to top it off the post I have replied to this time makes no sense either. The whole point is that I want the product that I purchased, in no way am I asking for any request as ridiculous as aliens changing my wheels. All I’m asking is for my electric car to have an electric motor for it’s entire life. I bought the car from someone who claimed that would be the case, so I’m understandably annoyed when they say “Sorry, we were just kitten you” and doing the exact opposite of what they promised.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

in Suggestions

ExpiredLifetime.1083

/facepalm

Jeeze.

What a constructive & convincing response.

I’m shocked you can’t convince more people around to your way of thinking when you debate this well!

The analogy in the post I first quoted made no sense, this isn’t buying one thing and demanding an upgrade free when the next thing comes out – that would be GW1 players expecting GW2 to come free for them.

What this is is us buying one product and then having the very core of it replaced with its opposite.

And to top it off the post I have replied to this time makes no sense either. The whole point is that I want the product that I purchased, in no way am I asking for any request as ridiculous as aliens changing my wheels. All I’m asking is for my electric car to have an electric motor for it’s entire life. I bought the car from someone who claimed that would be the case, so I’m understandably annoyed when they say “Sorry, we were just kitten you” and doing the exact opposite of what they promised.

This.
This is exactly the point why most people are in an outrage. We purchased this game, looking at the history of Guild Wars 1 and seeing that ANet seemed to have a mindset of sticking to their guns, then not even 3 months into a release they go and change something that was a core principle.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Actually the 800 lb gorilla is the cash shop going pay 2 win. They threw out there cornerstone philosophy pretty darn fast so I bet that pay 2 win and better than legendary are up next in the cash shop.
Then next month there will be that new armour piece. Nothing to stop them now that everything is on the table.