Vertical Progression (Q&A interview inside)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shayde.2564

Shayde.2564

From: http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/qa-with-isaiah-cartwright/

“Q: how important for you is vertical progression in GW2?

A: All progression is important to us, we want to make sure our rewards and progression systems hit a spectrum of players and makes everyone feel excited to play the game."

Looks like gear treadmill is here to stay.

Moderator edit: removed CoC infraction from thread title

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: siepher.9408

siepher.9408

i don;t understand why people need a higher number at all for a sense of progression, there are many other ways to accomplish that. titles being an equally easy way to do it, if not easier because it requires no balancing.

Posted by: marianitten.1247

marianitten.1247

Amazing! another “quoting ANET people” post! we need more of this.
/sarcasm

The new dungeon is not out, the new gear is not available. WAIT to see how they managed this, and then take conclussions.

For Those About to Zerg (We Salute You)

Posted by: Shayde.2564

Shayde.2564

/sarcasm

The new dungeon is not out, the new gear is not available. WAIT to see how they managed this, and then take conclussions.

The new gear is out: http://www.gw2db.com/items?filter-item-rarity=8 Look at it and then tell yourself it’s not necessary to remain competitive.

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

/sarcasm

Sure, I would love to watch them butcher the game and then say something.

Or I could do my best to say “Hey wait a second, what the kitten are you guys doing?” and maybe even stop them from butchering it at all.

Posted by: CJAncients.6907

CJAncients.6907

I’m not sure you understand what a “treadmill” is.

Having a sense of character progression, and NEEDING to get a new tier of gear every 3 months are completely different things.

I’m not sure why so many people don’t understand that.

Vertical progression IS gear treadmill.

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

i don;t understand why people need a higher number at all for a sense of progression

Because that’s how WoW clones do things, and if you want to be a WoW clone, then you need to appease this sort of audience with useless crap like this.

From a business standpoint this seems like a pretty terrible plan… but I suppose it is easier to be just another failed WoW clone than actually sticking to your guns and making your game unique. Somehow the Star Wars Galaxies model looks more appealing to Anet than the Guild Wars 1 model… why so?.. no one knows.

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

They would like to appeal to everyone, unfortunately appealing to those that want vertical progression (who already have tons of MMOs to choose from) stifles the goals of those who want to remain secure in the GW method of handling things, which was to add non-comparables (e.g., new skills, new looks, new titles, new dances, new story) and not greater stats for character progression. If I take a break, as I have done with other MMOs like WoW, and come back a few months later or a year later will I be able to still play with friends, or will we be playing a huge (and overwhelming) game of catch up, as was the case when I quit WoW?

nofo.8469

Having a sense of character progression, and NEEDING to get a new tier of gear every 3 months are completely different things.

Not necessarily.

DAoC had vertical progression in the form of realm ranks for example.

It is heavily associated with gear treadmill however and may as well be synonymous because of all these greedy incompetent developers trying to get a piece of WoW’s consumer base.

Posted by: Arius.7031

Arius.7031

/sarcasm

The new gear is out: http://www.gw2db.com/items?filter-item-rarity=8 Look at it and then tell yourself it’s not necessary to remain competitive.

Not much different than rare versus exotic. Yes, you’ll have to grind—but not much. It’s still not a lengthy gear treadmill like in other games. It’s a very short gear treadmill, and even then, you can still play in top notch PvP without the ascended gear—just not the Fractals dungeon.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

Posted by: Slic.2406

Slic.2406

/sarcasm

Not much different than rare versus exotic. Yes, you’ll have to grind—but not much. It’s still not a lengthy gear treadmill like in other games. It’s a very short gear treadmill, and even then, you can still play in top notch PvP without the ascended gear—just not the Fractals dungeon.

Are you kidding me? Most are estimating about 90hrs of Fractal grind for ONE PIECE. I’m being modest and estimating~70hrs.

What part of this is NOT a grind and NOT a gear treadmill? They are definitely adding more ascended items and more content with higher agony requirements. That is 1 thing they have NOT been vague about.

And just so you know, a full ascended trinket/weapon/armor set wil give you up to 40% more to a stat then the exotic counterpart. This is true eve if you keep your normal exo armor for the rune bonuses…

And this isn’t counting the higher-rarity infusions that are not yet out – the blue quality infusions have +5 to stats, +5 to agony, rare/exo/asc versions of infusions will probably have at least 20 to that same stat. In which case, the modest estimate of up to 40% will grow to up to 75%.

(edited by Slic.2406)

nofo.8469

/sarcasm

From what I understand this gear treadmill is set to be implemented in such a way that would make Blizzard blush.

5 tokens per 15-30 min run.

~500 tokens per item?

From what I read somewhere, going ahead with this would be absurdly stupid however and even though I’m not a fan of ANet atm, I have a little more faith in them than that.

Posted by: CJAncients.6907

CJAncients.6907

Not necessarily.

DAoC had vertical progression in the form of realm ranks for example.

It is heavily associated with gear treadmill however and may as well be synonymous because of all these greedy incompetent developers trying to get a piece of WoW’s consumer base.

Good point.

Slic.2406

/sarcasm

From what I understand this gear treadmill is set to be implemented in such a way that would make Blizzard blush.

5 tokens per 15-30 min run.

~500 tokens per item?

From what I read somewhere, going ahead with this would be absurdly stupid however and even though I’m not a fan of ANet atm, I have a little more faith in them than that.

It’s actually closer to 2000 tokens. The exo backpiece costs 1350, then the gift costs 500. And then there are probably other ingredients, and I fear that 1 of them is the obsidian shard (15 a piece).

Arius.7031

/sarcasm

Are you kidding me? Most are estimating about 90hrs of Fractal grind for ONE PIECE. I’m being modest and estimating~70hrs.

What part of this is NOT a grind and NOT a gear treadmill? They are definitely adding more ascended items and more content with higher agony requirements. That is 1 thing they have NOT been vague about.

And just so you know, a full ascended trinket/weapon/armor set wil give you up to 40% more to a stat then the exotic counterpart. This is true eve if you keep your normal exo armor for the rune bonuses…

And this isn’t counting the higher-rarity infusions that are not yet out – the blue quality infusions have +5 to stats, +5 to agony, rare/exo/asc versions of infusions will probably have at least 20 to that same stat. In which case, the modest estimate of up to 40% will grow to up to 75%.

Meant to say PvE, but the point stands. You’ll still be able to do all of the old PvE content with exotics (like we already do). But more than that, how are people making estimates before it’s out? Do they know exactly how much it’ll require, and how you gain the stuff to make it? Can you give me a link to see where you got this information? Not saying I don’t believe you, but I’d like to verify—I don’t just take people’s word for stuff (no offense).

Anyway, if that is true, and it is about a 40% increase in effectiveness, that’s utter insanity—I don’t think ANet would make it that hard.

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

(edited by Arius.7031)

Slic.2406

/sarcasm

Meant to say PvE, but the point stands. You’ll still be able to do all of the old PvE content with exotics (like we already do). But more than that, how are people making estimates before it’s out? Do they know exactly how much it’ll require, and how you gain the stuff to make it? Can you give me a link to see where you got this information?

This one’s a good read, start from there:
http://www.guildwars2hub.com/guides/basics/complete-guide-fractals-mists

Pay close attention to the screenshots. Also, for the millionth time, here are the links to all the existing ascended item codes:

http://www.gw2db.com/items?filter-item-rarity=8

(edited by Slic.2406)

Arius.7031

/sarcasm

Meant to say PvE, but the point stands. You’ll still be able to do all of the old PvE content with exotics (like we already do). But more than that, how are people making estimates before it’s out? Do they know exactly how much it’ll require, and how you gain the stuff to make it? Can you give me a link to see where you got this information?

Pay close attention to the screenshots.

Thank you for the link, that’s very interesting. I’m now very, very worried. But, there is one thing that we need to keep in mind. Internal testing is for testing bugs/balance, these things could be dramatically different when they’re launched. Let’s all get angry after it’s launched if it turns out to be insanely hard to get. Let’s not jump the gun.

Edit: Wait, didn’t they say the rewarding scaled the further/harder it got? Doesn’t that mean that we’ll get more the further we get in?

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

Slic.2406

/sarcasm

Pay close attention to the screenshots.

Thank you for the link, that’s very interesting. I’m now very, very worried. But, there is one thing that we need to keep in mind. Internal testing is for testing bugs/balance, these things could be dramatically different when they’re launched. Let’s all get angry after it’s launched if it turns out to be insanely hard to get. Let’s not jump the gun.

The link to the item codes is live. Click on each ascended item in gw2db, copy/paste the code, look in-game.

None of this is test-only anymore. I hate to say it, but all the ‘QQ’ and ‘negativity’ is justified in this case.

EDIT: sorry you replied before I edited, so, for sake of redundancy:
http://www.gw2db.com/items?filter-item-rarity=8

This is all live as we speak.

Posted by: Reclusiarh.2674

Reclusiarh.2674

What part of this new patch is difficult to understand? for some people like me, grinding for legendaries is not an option and having full exotics gear is getting closer as a goal, so the ascendant tier is the new legendary tier for casual players.
I estimate I will need at least a year if not more to be just partially geared in ascendant gear.
But since I intend to continue to play even longer, I have no problem with this.

Guild wars should be war between orders, because orders are guilds too.

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

Meant to say PvE, but the point stands. You’ll still be able to do all of the old PvE content with exotics (like we already do). But more than that, how are people making estimates before it’s out?
Anyway, if that is true, and it is about a 40% increase in effectiveness, that’s utter insanity—I don’t think ANet would make it that hard.

Lfm dungeon run , ascended geared only, whisper gear or no invite.

All is vain.

Posted by: axiology.5807

axiology.5807

Edit: Wait, didn’t they say the rewarding scaled the further/harder it got? Doesn’t that mean that we’ll get more the further we get in?

I’m not sure how the reward scaling would work, but to get deeper into the Fractals, you would need some Agony resistance from infusions. This recipe may interest you:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/lostshores/Vitality-Infusion-Mystic-Forge-Recipe

And that’s only a blue defensive infusion. What would a masterwork/rare/exotic/ascended infusion would require? What would those fancy omni infusions require?

Posted by: BBilbo.9641

BBilbo.9641

Stat progression in this game would serve no purpose.

Stats on your character would go up, but so would the stats on the enemies, you’re gearing for anyways, as the game would balance that content based on best gear. Relatively speaking there is no “real” progression.

And you cant even use the excuse of decimating everything lower than you, because the game scales your player down to whatever zone you’re in, anyway.

The result? The only thing that’s going to happen is Elitist jaggoffs will be alienating players who don’t continue to grind the gear treadmill.

Lionsarch Chat:
Playerxyz: LFM Fractals Ascention gear only.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: ZaxanRazor.6235

ZaxanRazor.6235

I have to say, while I’m not thrilled that another tier has been added, I’m not going to join the minority in jumping to wild conclusions based on an update done 3 months after release.

If they add a new tier to the armour level on a regular basis, then I’ll join people in being annoyed. If, however, we are three years down the line and only two tiers have been added to the game, then I’ll be pleased. This is how it was in Guild Wars 1 (sort of, they massively improved the armour system with one the expansions).

Quite frankly, if you think there was never going to be any sort of item progression added in content patches for the entire lifespan of the game, you’re being a bit naive.

I think, more than anything, the timing of the new tier has caused more problems than the tier itself. If they’d have added this after a year, I’m sure the reaction to it would have been much less of a.. panic / hissy fit.

Also frankly, we should be pleased that they’re adding this for everyone in a free update. This is normally the sort of stuff that gets added to expansions.. paid expansions.

Slic.2406

I’m not sure how the reward scaling would work, but to get deeper into the Fractals, you would need some Agony resistance from infusions. This recipe may interest you:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/lostshores/Vitality-Infusion-Mystic-Forge-Recipe

And that’s only a blue defensive infusion. What would a masterwork/rare/exotic/ascended infusion would require? What would those fancy omni infusions require?

Obviously, they’d ‘bridge the gap’ to the legendaries, so they’d require as much as a legendary. GG anet, GG. I didn’t see this coming. Shame on me.

Posted by: dirtyoldgoat.5496

dirtyoldgoat.5496

/sarcasm

Wow the new gear is awesome. I am looking forward to it.

Fallendruid, White Lighter, The Native Sun
PINK is the new Black
Tarnished Coast (via Tyranny)

Slic.2406

/sarcasm

Wow the new gear is awesome. I am looking forward to it.

You will need to spend ~70-90hrs getting each piece of gear, probably doing things you don’t really enjoy. The infusion recipes by themselves take 1 eldtritch scroll and hundreds of t6 mats and dungeon-specific random drops. And these are blue-quality, not masterwork, rare, exotic or ascended. Can you imagine how much more sanity you’ll have to lose to get the higher-end infusions? I personally can’t, because I personally won’t.

As awesome as this new gear is, enjoy spending 200hrs+ getting just the 1st 3 pieces (back, rings). And then another 200+ hrs to get the next 2-3 releases, in the next tier. My guess is that you will be long-bored of the ‘new’ content before you ever get the 1st piece.

And those who are borked in the head and like to grind 10+hrs a day? They’ll be more effective/stronger than you in stats, and will beat you in WvW/lfg dungeon with time spent instead of skill/talent and other less shady merits.

(edited by Slic.2406)

Posted by: xtorma.1283

xtorma.1283

This is the only time they will ever introduce higher stat gear……they swear this time…..honest.

Baron Irongut – Warrior-

Posted by: BurnedToast.3781

BurnedToast.3781

What part of this new patch is difficult to understand? for some people like me, grinding for legendaries is not an option and having full exotics gear is getting closer as a goal, so the ascendant tier is the new legendary tier for casual players.
I estimate I will need at least a year if not more to be just partially geared in ascendant gear.
But since I intend to continue to play even longer, I have no problem with this.

In a year the bar will have moved and you will have to start grinding divine tier gear with agony mk.2 resist, or actually by the time a year has passed we will probably be on to super-divine tier with agony mk.3 resist.

The content locusts they are now catering to will NEVER be happy with just this, they will play 18 hours a day and gobble it all up in a month and whine for more.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Another quote from this article from Isaiah Cartwright:

No, we limited the rewards for this new dungeon to rings and back items, our goals are to keep invalidating old content to a minimum because that just limits the fun an interesting things for people to do. This is why we also added some new unique rewards into our repeatable dungeons!

They want to keep invalidating old content to a minimum, ergo old content will be invalidated as per the treadmill pattern, just more slowly.

People can shout “wait till the content is actually out before you judge”, but then again, how much more clearly can it be that the treadmill is a reality and that it’s just a slower process.

So we went from 2 years of advertising: there is no treadmill in GW2
To 4 months after release: it’s not really a treadmill.
To 1 week later: it’s just a slow treadmill so you have enough time to adapt.

What can we expect on Monday I wonder?

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: BBilbo.9641

BBilbo.9641

Quite frankly, if you think there was never going to be any sort of item progression added in content patches for the entire lifespan of the game, you’re being a bit naive.

We’re naive for believing a now blatant LIE the developers made for 5 strait years about no gear treadmill, no grinding, and no gated content?

Fair enough, I guess.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien

Posted by: Gauradan.8361

Gauradan.8361

In a year the bar will have moved and you will have to start grinding divine tier gear with agony mk.2 resist, or actually by the time a year has passed we will probably be on to super-divine tier with agony mk.3 resist.

The content locusts they are now catering to will NEVER be happy with just this, they will play 18 hours a day and gobble it all up in a month and whine for more.

If the game is still around by that time. The way they’re treating us, I wouldn’t put much faith in it.

Aed f’haeil moen Hirjeth taenverde.

Posted by: Reclusiarh.2674

Reclusiarh.2674

If this really is an issue, then by all means we ( anti-locust majority) have to tell them that ascendant tier will have to suffice for the next 5 years to come.

Or else…

Guild wars should be war between orders, because orders are guilds too.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

If this really is an issue, then by all means we ( anti-locust majority) have to tell them that ascendant tier will have to suffice for the next 5 years to come.

Or else…

Name calling doesn’t bring anyone to your side…

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

Another quote from this article from Isaiah Cartwright:

You know, every time I read that, my brain kind of wants to insert a period before “to a minimum”.

Posted by: Kirani.2690

Kirani.2690

I have to say, while I’m not thrilled that another tier has been added, I’m not going to join the minority in jumping to wild conclusions based on an update done 3 months after release.

If they add a new tier to the armour level on a regular basis, then I’ll join people in being annoyed. If, however, we are three years down the line and only two tiers have been added to the game, then I’ll be pleased. This is how it was in Guild Wars 1 (sort of, they massively improved the armour system with one the expansions).

I think, more than anything, the timing of the new tier has caused more problems than the tier itself. If they’d have added this after a year, I’m sure the reaction to it would have been much less of a.. panic / hissy fit.

Also frankly, we should be pleased that they’re adding this for everyone in a free update. This is normally the sort of stuff that gets added to expansions.. paid expansions.

No we should not be happy this was added to a free update. This BS has totally eliminated the GW2 model of horizontal progression. If they decided to add this crap to an expansion that costs money I would just never buy it. Instead they are ruining the game I already paid for.

Posted by: Genesis.5169

Genesis.5169

What i get from the game is you don’t want to work for you gear.
Fine don’t no one is forcing you to.
Go do other content with your other casual friends, all mmo’s need progression if there is none why play?

If you can’t see your character grow and you become stagnate i’m positive that all the casuals in this thread will start to cry about there’s nothing to do i’m bored give me new content that i can’t roll in 1day.

Weren’t have you guy kittening about 2month ago about there being nothing to do post 80 now you get something and its still a problem?

I dislike you people to the utmost i try to accept casuals but everyday you find little ways to make me hate you.

These forums are a joke its not for opinions or debate its just a safe place for people to cry at.

Posted by: Irnhide.3428

Irnhide.3428

Everything Anet told us about how this game was gonna be different……. I’m sad.

Crater.1625

all mmo’s need progression if there is none why play?

If a game is fun to play simply for the sake of being fun to play, you don’t need to get a cookie at the end to want to play it.
If a game isn’t fun to play simply for the sake of being fun to play, you shouldn’t play it whether they give you a cookie at the end or not.

Weren’t have you guy kittening about 2month ago about there being nothing to do post 80 now you get something and its still a problem?

No, none of us really were. But if we were, “something to do” doesn’t mean “make my numbers go bigger”. That’s not something to do; that’s just making numbers bigger.

Fractals of the Mist, without gear-gated Agony, without power creep and the Ascended gear treadmill, would have been “something to do”. Being a fun dungeon would be more than enough to justify playing it. There didn’t need to be a cookie at the end.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

I’m not sure how so many people like you can’t understand so many other, different people feel different.

-Mike Obrien

Posted by: Natural.7013

Natural.7013

There isn’t much today in the game after 80. Spvp is boring. WvW is pointless right now. Pve is…. Plinx. The game is pretty, but it needs more depth.

Crater.1625

Adding more powerful equipment doesn’t add depth; it removes depth.

Posted by: Creslin.1758

Creslin.1758

Yeah! I can’t believe that they added vertical progression to this game!

Now let me get back to leveling my character in a sequential fashion from levels 1 to 80, unlocking new content as I get higher level.

Magaera Enflanza (F Human D/D Ele)
[Envy], [Moon]

Surbrus.6942

Go do other content with your other casual friends, all mmo’s need progression if there is none why play?

I used to think that “MMO players hate fun” was a joke with little basis.

You people must have absolutely hated and despised video games before treadmills and ill-named “progression” became popular.

Don’t worry, the hate is mutual. I hate skill-less, self claimed “hard-core” players that need inflation to keep them happy, and need those inflated stats to make up for their low skill when competing against “casuals”.

(edited by Surbrus.6942)

Posted by: John Lucier.5486

John Lucier.5486

holy cow, the grind for this new gear makes asian MMos look high-speed, maybe they are trying to copy WoW and Lineage 2

Surbrus.6942

holy cow, the grind for this new gear makes asian MMos look high-speed, maybe they are trying to copy WoW and Lineage 2

I remember when I used to laugh when people ironically called GW2 a Korean MMO…

Posted by: Haette.2701

Haette.2701

Yeah! I can’t believe that they added vertical progression to this game!

Now let me get back to leveling my character in a sequential fashion from levels 1 to 80, unlocking new content as I get higher level.

Am I the only one that thinks leveling is already PLENTY of vertical? As in, we don’t need any more?

Posted by: Berethos.4526

Berethos.4526

Meant to say PvE, but the point stands. You’ll still be able to do all of the old PvE content with exotics (like we already do). But more than that, how are people making estimates before it’s out?

“LFM dungeon run, Exotic geared only, whisper gear or no invite.”

Last I checked, that hasn’t taken over the game. Ascended gear won’t either. The sky isn’t falling just yet, Chicken Little.

Crater.1625

Am I the only one that thinks leveling is already PLENTY of vertical? As in, we don’t need any more?

Hell, the best changes they could make to the game’s vertical progression would be to either let you just create a character at 80 and bypass most/all of that stuff, or to implement upscaling in all zones instead of just WvW and special events.

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

Last I checked, that hasn’t taken over the game. Ascended gear won’t either. The sky isn’t falling just yet, Chicken Little.

Maybe getting 1 exotic gear is super easy to get. Ascended not so much.

All is vain.

Posted by: Evil Geek.6904

Evil Geek.6904

Oh it will start as people start hitting the content that needs the infusions to succeed, this is a very deliberate gate that doesn’t exist with rares versus exotics, we all know that current content can be completed without exotics easily enough, currently there is no solid gate to content but it’s coming….