Anet please put warning up

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: trunks.5249

trunks.5249

i finally started getting ascended stuff. i saved up for another ascended ring come to find out i cant wear it. i wasted 35 days on a ring i cant put on. now i have to save up all over again .Anet please put a warning up saying you cant have two of the same ascended trinkets like you can the exotics . this is the first time i am upset with you guys

master jedi david

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

If you infuse one of the rings, you can wear them both then.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

i finally started getting ascended stuff. i saved up for another ascended ring come to find out i cant wear it. i wasted 35 days on a ring i cant put on. now i have to save up all over again .Anet please put a warning up saying you cant have two of the same ascended trinkets like you can the exotics . this is the first time i am upset with you guys

You can contact CS and they will replace your ring with another. Support at the top of the page.

Good luck.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

It says unique on the ring.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I had the same issue. They were quick to fix the problem for me.
However they won’t do this for you if you continually contact support for repeated issues like this, just a warning.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: cheese.4739

cheese.4739

A note when buying Unique items would be nice - an extra bit of text under the standard ’are you sure you want this’ saying that you can’t equip two identical Unique items.

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

On the bright side, at least now ascended stuff is account bound, so you can give the other ring to an alt.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

It’s a really small tag at the bottom of the stats, barely noticeable. And how are people supposed to know what this ‘unique’ tag actually means?

I hate it when people say ‘there is a tiny unique tag at the bottom, you should have known’.

The only reason I was lucky enough never to make this mistake is because I saw people complaining about it on the forums, never noticed the unique tag before that. At the very least anet can make the unique tag red. So you actually can see the unique tag represents a restriction of sorts.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: AIex.4105

AIex.4105

same happend to me at first, got other ring identical to the other dident knew that I cant use 2 of same tipe, good thing i only wasted 10 pristine relics

Posted by: Logos.1306

Logos.1306

buying ring using laurels was your first mistake.Why waste 35 days when you can buy them from fractals easy in 10 days?

(you can even get if for free if lucky)

Posted by: Vespertilionidae.5018

Vespertilionidae.5018

When I contacted CS I received a reply with a link to the gw2 wiki where it defined what unique was with the suggestion I use the ring on an alt pc. In effect saying…

‘there is a tiny unique tag at the bottom, you should have known’.

Infusing is another option.

Successful opportunism is often indistinguishable from a masterful plan.

(edited by Vespertilionidae.5018)

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

buying ring using laurels was your first mistake.Why waste 35 days when you can buy them from fractals easy in 10 days?

(you can even get if for free if lucky)

or buy it from laurels and not waste time doing fractures, it works both ways.

they should just remove the “unique” text and place something like “can on be equipped ones per character”, is it really so hard to make the text longer so ppl have some context……

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

It’s a really small tag at the bottom of the stats, barely noticeable. And how are people supposed to know what this ‘unique’ tag actually means?

It’s called paying attention, reading something and applying common sense. But no, there should clearly be a fifteen page PDF guide to walk people through this.

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

There is nothing ‘common sense’ about Unique being restrictive to only one equip. All it indicates is rarity.

Anet has been adding dozens of tooltips in their latest patches. An additional warning should be easy to implement.

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Fenrir.3609

There is nothing ‘common sense’ about Unique being restrictive to only one equip. All it indicates is rarity.

If it related to rarity it would say “unique” on legendary or ascended weapons/armour, it doesn’t.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

If it related to rarity it would say “unique” on legendary or ascended weapons/armour, it doesn’t.

when i first saw the unique tags i had to go google it to see if you could only BUY one of each type of ring for the entire account that was my first thought that went through my mind. “Oh its unique that means i can only get one in the whole game”. it should be stated outright you can only equip one per character

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

It’s called paying attention, reading something and applying common sense. But no, there should clearly be a fifteen page PDF guide to walk people through this.

Condescending remark combined with an exaggeration, typical.

It should be literally stated that you can only wear one. And please be so kind as to keep derogatory comments about so called common sense to your self.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

If it were actually unique it would be impossible to buy more than one. and only one person would have it.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

The “one of each ring” surprise situation is just dumb. “Unique” is a keyword that is never explained in-game, as there are no NPCs that ever mention it or even a hint about it. It’s also used extremely unevenly across the game; there are trophies and other items that have the “Unique” keyword even though they aren’t able to be equipped. I don’t have a list of which items those are, but I think a casual player is probably more likely to run into a unique trophy before they’re ready to buy ascended gear, which gives the impression that it’s just a flavor word, not something with hidden rules attached to it.

For anyone who thinks it’s self-evident that “Unique” has special game meaning, I present my first unique item. It was only available per-character and it was soulbound on acquire, making it basically impossible to get more than one into a character’s inventory. (Barring transmutation? Maybe?) Plus it’s a backpack, meaning it would be impossible to equip two into the relevant slot even if you did have more than one.

Look at that and tell me it seems more likely “Unique” is a warning against an impossible situation, and not just more flavor text. I realize this particular item is an extreme case, but if I go a month or two and only ever see that keyword in meaningless, flavor-only contexts, I’m not going to magically know that it has a special meaning for rings.

Half of what’s sad about this is how simple the fix is. Just add a “Unique Equipment” game hint that pops up the first time a player acquires a unique piece of equipment, explaining what it means. Teaching players this kind of information is exactly what that system is for.

Attachments:

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

(edited by Redenaz.8631)

Scientia.8924

Funny that you talk about common sense and then make the same mistake you’re trying to put other people down for. I’m not talking about loot Rarity in that post, and wouldn’t even make sense in that context since Exotics and below don’t share the same equip characteristic.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

If it were actually unique it would be impossible to buy more than one. and only one person would have it.

Exactly, thats the logical extension of the term.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Scientia.8924

Would it be easier to just replace ‘Unique’ with ’Only one copy of this item is equipable ’? Needs to be a little more concise though…

Redenaz.8631

tl,dr; for my post above:

“Unique” is never explained in-game, and shows up in some confusing, irrelevant places. The problem could be largely avoided if, upon a player acquiring their first piece of unique equipment, a hint box told them what it means.

That’s what the hint system is for.

Posted by: Vired swordhammer.9134

Vired swordhammer.9134

I don’t think bigger or longer text saying that the ring is unique would even work I mean I was sitting I lions arch after the patch hit for the wvw tickets and everyone got a piece of mail with the first line saying “Speak with the Battle historian in any WvW map to claim your replacement tournament rewards chest.” and a good 90% of the people where still asking where how do you get your reward chest. Also they ask you if you want to buy this item before accepting it maybe if you take 35 days to get something then you would actually look at what you are buying or see that there are multiple rings of the same stat and wonder why that is. I mean you just don’t buy a shirt at a store and not see if it is the right size until you put it on at home then get angry at the store for not asking if you really wanted to buy that size small instead of the large.

Redenaz.8631

Also they ask you if you want to buy this item before accepting it maybe if you take 35 days to get something then you would actually look at what you are buying or see that there are multiple rings of the same stat and wonder why that is.

If I’m playing a certain build with 1h weapons, I’m probably going to equip two of the same stat combination if I’m aiming to min/max. Same thing happens here.

I mean you just don’t buy a shirt at a store and not see if it is the right size until you put it on at home then get angry at the store for not asking if you really wanted to buy that size small instead of the large.

I don’t get mad, but I do consider them a pretty lousy store if I can’t try it on before buying it, or, having bought it, I can’t even return it for the appropriate size. There’s a difference between “ethically wrong” and “will make customers unhappy.” This falls under the latter heading, and while it’s not a crisis, it has obvious room for improvement.

(For anyone wondering: I’ve never had the ring problem, but I’m also the kind of person who loves reading patch notes and wiki entries. Not everyone does that, or wants to do that, or even thinks of doing that.)

Posted by: Vired swordhammer.9134

Vired swordhammer.9134

Also they ask you if you want to buy this item before accepting it maybe if you take 35 days to get something then you would actually look at what you are buying or see that there are multiple rings of the same stat and wonder why that is.

If I’m playing a certain build with 1h weapons, I’m probably going to equip two of the same stat combination if I’m aiming to min/max. Same thing happens here.

I mean you just don’t buy a shirt at a store and not see if it is the right size until you put it on at home then get angry at the store for not asking if you really wanted to buy that size small instead of the large.

I don’t get mad, but I do consider them a pretty lousy store if I can’t try it on before buying it, or, having bought it, I can’t even return it for the appropriate size. There’s a difference between “ethically wrong” and “will make customers unhappy.” This falls under the latter heading, and while it’s not a crisis, it has obvious room for improvement.

(For anyone wondering: I’ve never had the ring problem, but I’m also the kind of person who loves reading patch notes and wiki entries. Not everyone does that, or wants to do that, or even thinks of doing that.)

I also use 2 of the same rings but I do look at the rings and notice that there are 2 rings with the same stats like the red ring of death and crystalline band and look over the rings it is just about paying attention to details that most people cant seem to notice or bother looking over things before buying

also I had more in mind the white undershirts you buy in the packs of 5 not like a shirt you buy off the rack that you can try on in the dressing room of a store.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The word is in the area of the description that covers restrictions such as Soul Bound.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Xerion.8014

Xerion.8014

I would suggest you to contact support with this problem. If you explain you didn’t knew this and for example if you bought 2 Offensive infusions instead of 1 Offensive and 1 Defensive and you ask for 1 offensive to be deleted and in return you want a defensive, they will help you with that.

I had the same problem and i contacted support and it was done really quickly.

Xerion The Fierced – #1 Ranger Extraordinary
“Beautiful, talented and unique.”
Velocity [VcY] – Somewhere roaming on Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: iFocus.3781

iFocus.3781

Exactly, thats the logical extension of the term.

Yes, and people saying “you should have read about it” is just not acceptable, and here is why:

In difference to what many no-life whatevercore players think, this is a game. To the fullest extent of the word “game”, this is it. It is not work. It is not a learning ground per say. It is meant for us to play and enjoy. EVERYTHING I need to know about the game MUST be available for me to learn IN the game.

The term “unique” is as mentioned above, at the very best, vague. Many things are unique, but these rings are not. The simple word “unique” does in no way hint of a restriction to the use of simply one ring – BECAUSE I can purchase more than one, and more people than me can have it – thus it is NOT unique. Unique is not a sentence, thus it is not a description.

TLDR;
Anet made a bobo and there is nothing anyone can say to justify anything but. I shouldn’t have to play other mmos for 20 years to understand things in this game, nor should I be required to play gw1 to understand the mechanics of gw2, nor should I need a wiki to understand the game: IT MUST BE SELFEXPLANATORY.

Posted by: Solus.3926

Solus.3926

can I has my laurels back ?

:(

I am the menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

Because +4 stat is game breaking if you have more than one of the same type!

“Unique” has no context in this game.

Upon review of EXTERNAL resources you can find that Unique means you can only wear one of that type (offensive, defensive, or utility) but it literally makes no sense on some items (like the backpiece above…)

This merchant needs dialog if he’s going to sell stuff without context.

Fenrir.3609

Funny that you talk about common sense and then make the same mistake you’re trying to put other people down for. I’m not talking about loot Rarity in that post, and wouldn’t even make sense in that context since Exotics and below don’t share the same equip characteristic.

It is really rather obvious that a 30+ laurel item available on a merchant is not going to be an item which is a complete one off which once bought, no one else in the game world can own.

Perhaps they should replace “unique” with “one per character”, i’m just somewhat surprised that people can’t work it out for themselves.

(edited by Fenrir.3609)

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

I’m sorry, but this makes no sense at all. You’re saying you much prefer spending anywhere from 25 to 32 days doing dailies for laurels, which are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better spent on something other than ascended rings, than 10 days doing FotM 1s each day? I honestly do not understand that. Sure fractals may take forever if you’ve got a party full of scrubs, but that’s why you ask in guild or your friends if they run fractals. FotM 1 takes 60-90 minutes with a smart casual group at most. And that’s discounting the amount of exotics and rares you can pick up on the way.

As far as the rings go, the Unique tag is enough. Anet has very little expectation of people being able to read in this game. If people fail to do even that much, let alone something as simple as “/wiki unique”, why change things people still wont read afterwards?

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

‘Unique’ is a very common term in MMORPG’s and games in general.

I mean by definition of the word outside of the gaming context, you would think that maybe you wouldn’t be allowed more than one of the exact same item.

Does seem like a common sense thing to me too, but my opinion may be colored by my long gaming history I suppose.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Laurels do not require running with a party, fractals do. It’s been my experience that most party’s aren’t all that welcoming to players who do not live and breath whatever dungeon path or fractal and know the strategies as 2nd nature. So while FotM 1 may be trivial to you it can be quite the demeaning experience for someone less skilled.

Nobody has been chewed out for not completing their daily.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

sorudo.9054

I’m sorry, but this makes no sense at all. You’re saying you much prefer spending anywhere from 25 to 32 days doing dailies for laurels, which are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better spent on something other than ascended rings, than 10 days doing FotM 1s each day? I honestly do not understand that. Sure fractals may take forever if you’ve got a party full of scrubs, but that’s why you ask in guild or your friends if they run fractals. FotM 1 takes 60-90 minutes with a smart casual group at most. And that’s discounting the amount of exotics and rares you can pick up on the way.

daylies can be done within an hour or so, fractures takes allot more time which is much better spend on things i like to do, in my case running fractures isn’t my idea of fun.
also, a daily is done while playing the game, some things need a little more dedication but for most of the time it’s done without going a different length.
doing a fracture means you need to do the fracture, it isn’t just along the way and making a team for it is hard enough when you don’t like to rush things.

so again, just buy it with laurels so time isn’t wasted on fracture runs.

As far as the rings go, the Unique tag is enough. Anet has very little expectation of people being able to read in this game. If people fail to do even that much, let alone something as simple as “/wiki unique”, why change things people still wont read afterwards?

what is there to read, it’s a word that can mean anything.
in the literal sense it means only one single player can have it, in marvel heroes it’s the highest rarity of an item.
unique is as encrypted as saying “nothing” to a person, what nothing, why nothing, where nothing?

(edited by sorudo.9054)

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

And what does that mean? It is never explained what it is supposed to mean withing the context of the game.

unique
Being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else

(edited by frans.8092)

Azhure.1857

I don’t see where an argument is popping up here. Why can’t we all just agree that putting a little more information or warning on “unique” ascended trinkets is a good idea?

Instead we have people coming on this thread just to say “you should have known better”. How very constructive.

Posted by: Fanolian.8415

Fanolian.8415

And what does that mean? It is never explained what it is supposed to mean withing the context of the game.

unique

Many things are not explained in-game. The term soulbound, account bound are not explained in-game neither but I don’t recall anyone complaining those items cannot be sold.

By the same logic, if it were actually soulbound/account-bound than you can’t have it because someone else had already bound it. But no, because it is soulbound/account-bound/unique to you.

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

unique

Many things are not explained in-game. The term soulbound, account bound are not explained in-game neither but I don’t recall anyone complaining those items cannot be sold.

The term ‘soulbound’ explains better what it means within the game then ‘unique’. You also get a warning before soulbinding an item, you get no warning when binding an acended trinket. It would certainly help if a message popped up telling me that I am about to ‘purchase a unique item that I already have’. You even get a warning when buying a salvage kit with karma, why not a warning with something that costs so much more?

By the same logic, if it were actually soulbound/account-bound than you can’t have it because someone else had already bound it. But no, because it is soulbound/account-bound/unique to you.

Yeah, unique to you so one character (or account) (who also happens to be the only/unique Commander and Trehearnes right hand in the story) buying another one would be ‘impossible’.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

I don’t see where an argument is popping up here. Why can’t we all just agree that putting a little more information or warning on “unique” ascended trinkets is a good idea?

Instead we have people coming on this thread just to say “you should have known better”. How very constructive.

Mostly because if people fail to read the section in the item description regarding RESTRICTIONS when it simply says “unique,” they are just as likely to fail to read an expanded information line.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Not really. If you have ever played Diablo 2 there was for example the famous “uniqe” Ring “Stone of Jordan”, and you could without problems wear 2 of them. So as an old Diablo Player you simply don’t expect that just from the word “unique”.

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/normal/urings.shtml

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Azhure.1857

Mostly because if people fail to read the section in the item description regarding RESTRICTIONS when it simply says “unique,” they are just as likely to fail to read an expanded information line.

You have to know that is BS.

I was a victim of this myself. I saw “unique” but was totally unaware that a character could only equip one, though could buy two. Just because you and others understood it, doesn’t mean everyone does – as this thread shows.

Again having ArenaNet put a more clear warning on these items does not negatively effect you or others. Its not taking anything away from the game. Its just adding clarification to an item. You and others are just finding enjoyment from kittening at people on this thread…. for what?

(edited by Azhure.1857)

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

^^^^^ This.

Also the description does say “Unique” which would essentially imply that you can’t wear multiples, however, that isn’t explained anywhere, so I could see how someone wouldn’t notice that or if they did not really know what it means.

But there’s a work-around like TheDaiBish said, so no worries OP.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Fanolian.8415

Fanolian.8415

The term ‘soulbound’ explains better what it means within the game then ‘unique’. You also get a warning before soulbinding an item, you get no warning when binding an acended trinket. It would certainly help if a message popped up telling me that I am about to ‘purchase a unique item that I already have’. You even get a warning when buying a salvage kit with karma, why not a warning with something that costs so much more?

I agree with what Aidan Savage.2078 said above me.

Yeah, unique to you so one character (or account) (who also happens to be the only/unique Commander and Trehearnes right hand in the story) buying another one would be ‘impossible’.

This is how I categorise a unique item:
Unique does not mean the item cannot be sold. It is restricted by soulbound/account-bound status. Though I think, correct me if I am wrong, all unique items in-game comes with either soulbound/account-bound status. That is why unique is shown alongside with soulbound/account-bound but not a 3rd status of binding.
In theory I can buy a unique-but-not-soulboun/account-bound-(on acquire) item and resell it.
Therefore, restricting the purchase of more unique items does not sound right to me. That’s my 2 cents.

Posted by: Sinope.5630

Sinope.5630

What I have learn from GW1 and GW2, is that Wiki is my friend:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unique

You can access to wiki really fast from the game. Just type in chat /wiki and it will take you to the Wiki.

If you type /wiki Unique, it will take you to the proper site.

I love wiki, it has been helped me out so many troubles in GW1 and GW2. So if you don’t know what something means in this game, try first from Wiki. /wiki command is your friend

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Also the description does say “Unique” which would essentially imply that you can’t wear multiples, however, that isn’t explained anywhere, so I could see how someone wouldn’t notice that or if they did not really know what it means.

Read what i just wrote before :
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Anet-please-put-warning-up/4134651

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Azhure.1857

^^^^^ This.

But there’s a work-around like TheDaiBish said, so no worries OP.

The “work-around” you speak of only works if you know about it beforehand. I’ll say that I did not and infused both rings, both the same defensive ring, and THEN learned what “unique” meant in GW2. It was a painful learning experience. One that could have been easily avoided.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is giving a good reason for NOT adding a more clear warning on unique trinkets.

Azhure.1857

I’m not sure what your problem is.

If you’d been reading this thread, particularly the last few posts above yours, you would understand what the “problem” is. You’re wearing two of the same ring because one is infused and one is not.

Do you want congratulations for that?

sorudo.9054

I’m not sure what your problem is.

If you’d been reading this thread, particularly the last few posts above yours, you would understand what the “problem” is. You’re wearing two of the same ring because one is infused and one is not.

Do you want congratulations for that?

you do know the picture is filled with troll faces……