Anet pls copy Reincarnation

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lanhelin.3480

Lanhelin.3480

This is a concept from DDO, which I like very much: Let players at level 80 reincarnate to lvl 1 toons. Attributes should have an increased value and so should do weapon skill numbers. Not op numbers but remarkable ones.

I know many players who focus on just one or a few toon(s), so why not encourage them to continue to do so? But as rewarding as any other type of gameplay?

What do you think? Reincarnation yes or no?

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I’m going to say no. There’s just no point to it.

Firstly, if someone is only going to play one or two characters, they don’t need an ‘incentive’ to do so. In fact, this would make those who like playing a multitude of characters less inclined to since they’d need to ‘catch up’, especially if you introduce content balanced around these higher numbers.

If you don’t introduce content around these higher numbers, then that makes the progression meaningless.

Preferably, Anet will work on their horizontal progression in the form of skills and traits.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I haven’t played DDO (not even sure what it stands for) so I’m not sure what their reincarnation is. But based on your description it sounds like the end result would be the same as down-levelling: Allowing max level characters to go back and do low level zones as if they were at that level, but slightly more powerful.

Can you explain what the difference is?

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I haven’t played DDO (not even sure what it stands for) so I’m not sure what their reincarnation is. But based on your description it sounds like the end result would be the same as down-levelling: Allowing max level characters to go back and do low level zones as if they were at that level, but slightly more powerful.

Can you explain what the difference is?

From what they’re saying, it sounds like that they’d go back to level 1, but keeping their level 80 stats and them stats increasing again as they level up.

So, if we take current numbers, a reincarnated level 1 would have base stats of 916, rising to 1832 at level 80 (or less, if you cut that amount down).

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

He basicly means you reset your char to lvl 1 but it gets more base stats then before so at end game you are stronger. I dislike this because it takes the fun out of trying other classes. This system only favors games where your 1 single character can switch to different roles whenever.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Oh. So it’s basically a way of doubling the level cap, but without adding new zones for the new levels?

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

You’re also able to get abilities based on which classes you’ve reincarnated through in DDO. The more you do it the stronger you get. I never did it with any of my characters there, though it would have suited one of them.

I was actually thinking yesterday of what it would be like if that system was “borrowed” for this game and I came to the conclusion it wouldn’t work. There’s no need for it.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

what if reincarnation allowed you to add one utility skill from your previous level 80 character to the list of available skills for your new profession ? For example if I reincarnated my level 80 ranger to a level 1 mesmer I might choose to add Lightning Reflexes to the list of skills available to him as a mesmer.

Not arguing for reincarnation really, just find the idea somewhat interesting.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

Consider it to be like “Prestiging” in the Call of Duty series.

You reset your level and gain a benefit of some sort. Seeing as this is Guild Wars and not DDO it would have to be a cosmetic benefit.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Posted by: Swag Captain.5318

Swag Captain.5318

Righto.. lemme explain this since DDO gave a kittenized version of Reincarnation from DnD.

Reincarnation was not given as an idea to “advance your character even more once you’ve hit 20 (or 30 if you’re epic campaign)”. It was there because many players expressed a deep hate that they had to roll an entirely new character when going through a dungeon module that was known for being a meat grinder (Meat grinder modules usually are known for being brutal and murdering EVERY character that sets foot.. Big ones include Dungeonland and the infamous Tomb of Horrors). SO they effectively put out a book that detailed reincarnation. Your character would, if they had permanently died and not had their soul stolen or taken to the void, be able to have their spirit put into another character you roll. Doing this would cause the new character to have slightly more gold (like.. an extra dice roll), get a +1 (some homebrews gave you up to 3 depending on what level the dead character was) to a single ability score and if the DM was REALLY nice, you could start with an extra feat.

Problem. Reincarnation was seen as a cop-out maneuver that many bad players decided to abuse, at least in my area. You’d have them killing their characters off about halfway in and have a significant advantage over the party/encounter thanks to reincarnation. (+1 CAN lead to this, believe me it sucks).

Now, say a similar system is put in place. You can reincarnate and each character gains +1 to every stat for every level. So 80 would equal 80 in every stat.. that just might be a threshold where it could give a VERY significant advantage in PvE or WvW.. suddenly you have a splitting where all who want the META which is now a reincarnated character with Berzerkers are gating everyone out. The system becomes more of a scumbag system than META already is, and that’s just from a small difference!

SCIENCE!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This is a bad idea of this game. The game doesn’t need to be easier.

Leveling in DDO is truly truly awful. I’d rather gnaw off my own leg that level a character in DDO again. You have to do that in a game like DDO because it takes ages to get even to level 20 (no idea what the level cap is now).

Here, leveling is much much faster. There’s far less standing in the way of those who want an alt. I mean even achievements and money and karma are account wide now. There’s very little reason not to play an alt.

Swag Captain.5318

Well Vayne, DDO is as close to DnD as an MMO has gotten. Leveling to 30 (if it’s an epic campaign. 20 if it’s not) takes almost a year in a campaign mainly because you only play once a week. They actually kept the system the PnP game has, but the problem is that it doesn’t work that well in an MMO Setting..

For instance, the starting zone has you go through a very large area (think the size of Queensdale and DR put together) doing quest after quest until you FINALLY go into a massive mountain area that can be very confusing and watch a dragon freeze a Mindflayer. The whole line takes a few hours to do.

DnD the board game? That would equate to about 2 sessions of 4 hours IF you’re lucky. That’s not including player banter, investigation breaks, ragestorms that come when the Lawful Stupid Paladin murders the thief because “HE’S EVIL!”.. To compensate for this, usually whatever quest or undertaking you complete during your time there, you gain either a level or a good chunk of one (usually 1/3 or 3/5 for a harder one..) and that’s not counting enemy XP and DM XP (the latter is a homebrew creation where DMs reward player ingenuity in a situation..) So, if I were to do a campaign that included that starting area, the players would leave it at around level 6. The DDO players who leave? Level 3… 4 if they farmed EVERYTHING. The real pain comes from you getting barely ANY XP from quests at all. That starting area has about 20 something quests IIRC.. that’s insanity.

Suppose I should leave a note here: Quests in DnD are more than “Kill X amount of enemy Y.” A dungeon here in GW2? That’s a single one.

One.

Think about that.

SCIENCE!

Posted by: Lanhelin.3480

Lanhelin.3480

I mainly thought of the past life feat concept, which could be adapted by additional traits or something like that. Eg. I play a Guardian to level 80, then reincarnate to an Elementalist and get a special trait from my Guardian past life, and so on. It could be implemented by a 6th trait tree and every past life grants 1 pl point in this tree only. Maybe without minor traits but major, selectable ones only.

This could encourage people to relevel the toon and also different classes as every profession should give different past life traits. In DDO there is a limit of releveling a class three times, then the benefits from these past lives cap. This could be similar in GW2 and it could also allow more build diversity (only if the traits are worth it ofc).

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Why not just ask for new traits and explain how they could be useful?

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

what if reincarnation allowed you to add one utility skill from your previous level 80 character to the list of available skills for your new profession ? For example if I reincarnated my level 80 ranger to a level 1 mesmer I might choose to add Lightning Reflexes to the list of skills available to him as a mesmer.

Not arguing for reincarnation really, just find the idea somewhat interesting.

Well if that was to happen im sure everyone would be an invis killshot warrior.

Swag Captain.5318

^ pretty much this. You’d have people picking and choosing the “best traits” and putting them over onto one character. While I do find myself angered over a lot of useless traits (grandmaster..), I’d rather them just add more to the game than deal with such BS. Plus it’d be a NIGHTMARE to balance.

SCIENCE!

Posted by: Ettanin.8271

Ettanin.8271

No, because Reincarnation would lead to vertical progression which is counteracting the intention of GW2.