Anet question on the mounts?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

Will we be forced to use mounts to get to certain areas for the story? Or will we have the choice of walking to get there or using a mount? I am super excited for the expansion I love guild wars but I don’t like mounts. It is a personal preference I feel they ruin the immersion so I don’t want to use the mounts. Will this be an option or will I have to use mounts to get to certain areas for the story?

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I think it’s safe to say that we WILL need the first one, the same way we needed gliding in HoT. Beyond that, it’s hard to say and I’m sure ANet won’t answer because spoilers.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

If anything I can try and farm keys and hope to get some waypoint to friends so I can skip the mounts.

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

Posted by: Will Lucky.8703

Will Lucky.8703

Waypoint to friends won’t work considering story instances.

Server: Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

Will we be forced to use mounts to get to certain areas for the story? Or will we have the choice of walking to get there or using a mount? I am super excited for the expansion I love guild wars but I don’t like mounts. It is a personal preference I feel they ruin the immersion so I don’t want to use the mounts. Will this be an option or will I have to use mounts to get to certain areas for the story?

It seems the Raptor will absolutely be needed.

The mounts are not speed increases, they are movement skills just like the HOT mastery skills.

Edit

I was incorrect. The mounts absolutely do have a speed increase. Though it seems to be under 30% so perhaps faster than passive 25%

(edited by Lokki.1092)

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

It seems the Raptor will absolutely be needed.

The mounts are not speed increases, they are movement skills just like the HOT mastery skills.

They all will be needed since they stated that each has a unique movement skill. The extent that they will be needed is the important part. You don’t need Leyline gliding but it sure helps in some places.

The real question I want answered is will be able to use the mounts in other areas of the game like they added gliding to everywhere.

Posted by: DeadTreeJig.6714

DeadTreeJig.6714

From the video it looks to me like a speed increase, of course those could be animation renders rather than actual game play.

When a man lies he murders some part of the world – Paul Gerhardt
Just so we’re clear, I’m a solo player – Kirito
Live, Laugh, Love Kill Dredge – DedTreeJig

Posted by: Will Lucky.8703

Will Lucky.8703

From the video it looks to me like a speed increase, of course those could be animation renders rather than actual game play.

Well, rabbit can leap up cliffs, and the raptor can leap over spaces. Not too sure about the other two, one seems to float over everything which might be needed for Lava? Unsure to be honest.

Server: Far Shiverpeaks

Palador.2170

The real question I want answered is will be able to use the mounts in other areas of the game like they added gliding to everywhere.

I kind of want to know that myself. I mean, I doubt it, but I doubted gliding, too. And if they can disable gliding in areas, I’m sure they can do the same for mounts.

Lokki.1092

He actually flat out said they are no speed increases. did I hear that wrong?

It seemed to me that they are not about moving faster at all. They are simply movement skills like gliding, or mushrooms. From what I could tell they seem to be permanent, slightly better, slightly different Aspect crystals.

I’m watching gameplay right now. It seems no faster than walking, in fact the player is not using the mount to get around, but rather to make the long jumps. It’s possible that they are perm Swift/25% movement speed.

I can say for certain you will need the raptor.

Edit

Mounts can be given swiftness, so they definitely do not have perm swiftness. But they do have a movement speed increase. Possibly 30% but the dev was unsure of the exact percentage.

(edited by Lokki.1092)

Palador.2170

Well, they’re Masteries. I’m sure that at some point, one of the levels of the mastery will give them the 25% speed boost. But that’s a side thing, they’re mostly about the other changes to movement.

Posted by: DeadTreeJig.6714

DeadTreeJig.6714

He actually flat out said they are no speed increases. did I hear that wrong?.

I had to watch while at work so I had the volume really, really low and I missed some of the narration. Thanks for the clarification.

When a man lies he murders some part of the world – Paul Gerhardt
Just so we’re clear, I’m a solo player – Kirito
Live, Laugh, Love Kill Dredge – DedTreeJig

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Dyeable mounts! Didn’t even think that would be a thing….

Honestly though, lots of people complained that the HoT maps were difficult to traverse, my guess is mounts are meant to make that traversal a bit more fun. I’m not even a fan of mounts but I can tell they put a lot of work into them and they genuinely look like they aren’t something you can just pass on. Even in the story mission, you need to use a mount to get to the end.

Lokki.1092

Another update. It seems every mastery in POF is tied to mounts. Just heard it from a dev on twitch. Mounts are the new skills. Also they are usable in core content just like gliding.

Also there is a native mount speed increase. Just got that from the dev as well. he didn’t know the percentage.

(edited by Lokki.1092)

Leo G.4501

Well, rabbit can leap up cliffs, and the raptor can leap over spaces. Not too sure about the other two, one seems to float over everything which might be needed for Lava? Unsure to be honest.

Just saw that Skimmers can traverse quicksand too.

Leo G.4501

Another update. It seems every mastery in POF is tied to mounts. Just heard it from a dev on twitch. Mounts are the new skills. Also they are usable in core content just like gliding.

I bet this will make HoT maps easier to traverse too. I still get frustrated finding places even with all my movement masteries.