Anet's survey wanted more comments...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sabo.1485

Sabo.1485

“Thank you for completing the survey. Your answers and comments are greatly appreciated. If you have any additional comments please visit the official Guild Wars 2 forums.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum"

That greeted me at the end of my survey. Since you asked so nicely, I’ll be happy to share my further thoughts with you.

My biggest concern is that I REALLY don’t like these one-time events. I feel like a lot of people (specifically our friends in other time zones) get left out every time one of these events goes on. I was able to attend the Halloween event and was happy to see it was just a short cut scene. Knowing that, I didn’t feel bad about skipping this event to take care of real life concerns. Of course, I didn’t know that this event would give people precursor weapons, I just assumed it would be another cut scene I could catch later on Youtube. Had I known that the event was more than that… well, I still wouldn’t have attended. My sister found out she has a brain tumor. Some real life responsibilities are more important.

I’m also not a big fan of this new dungeon, mostly because I haven’t been able to try it yet. I primarily play during the very late-night hours. There aren’t many people on. And there are NO people who want to do the level 1 part of the dungeon. So I haven’t been able to go in yet, and of course as more time passes my chances of getting to do level 1 shrink further, to the point that I’ve basically written off any notion of getting to do that dungeon at all.

Which wouldn’t be a problem, except that there’s stuff in that dungeon I can’t get elsewhere. Now I’m not one of the forum doomsayers, I have no idea whether this new tier of gear is going to dramatically affect the game or not. But, whether it’s a huge increase or almost non-existent, it’s still better than the gear I’m wearing. Much has been said about this new tier of gear, and I’m not going to rehash it here, but if it’s going to stick around then I hope to any god you wish to pray to that this is the LAST time a new tier is added. If I wanted to chase gear, I’d play a bigger and more established game. I thought the GW franchise was supposed to be an escape from that kind of gaming. We’ll see over the long haul what changes this new tier has wrought, but I’m not hopeful.

That wouldn’t be a problem if you guys at Anet were more communicative, but I feel like you’ve been very silent through all this. Surely you’ve realized by now that we players appreciate devs who are communicative and who include us in the decision-making process. Having an open rapport with your players is a sure path to success, and right now I can only speak for myself when I say I feel very shut out. There’s a lot of concern going on around here, and more than a token dev blurb would go a LONG way to soothing worried feelings and angered minds.

Finnegan Bhaird – Human Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Sabo.1485

I know this post is getting long, but I have one last request. PLEASE, for the love of all things good and right in the world, PLEASE cut down on the random number generator stuff. I know you guys were looking for a method of adding more precursors to the game, but throwing them out to some people as event prizes is NOT the way to do it. I have struggled and fought for what little bit of money I’ve been able to make since I started playing after launch. I’ve tried everything. I’ve tried farming (but you decided mesmers shouldn’t have good tagging methods, so whatever). I’ve tried “playing the auction house” but quickly realized how boring and soul-sucking that is. I’ve tried crafting, only to rapidly come to the conclusion that I’ll never make back the money I sank into it (and especially not now, since I’m a jeweler, and you in your divine developer wisdom decided that the new dungeon should reward items better than anything I can make). I have done everything I can think of to make enough money to function, which has gotten me to half exotics and half rares, and a net worth of about 7g in the bank. So it’s rather insulting to know that there were people during the event who were awarded winning lottery tickets, and that for just a few minutes of participating in an event I was unable to attend, they made more money in that few minutes thanks to precursor handouts than I will likely make between now and next summer.

No matter what I do or how hard I work to make it in this game, I feel like the RNG is rewarding someone else. I like the idea of making precursors more accessible for those who want legendaries (I’m not even going to consider such a lofty and impossible dream for myself), but at the very least, make their methods of attainment mean more than just “log in on Sunday for a little while”. That seems very unfair, to the point that I found myself staring at my character select screen tonight, unable to make myself log in. I should NOT be feeling that way. I love this game deeply, but the philosophical flaws I see were just compounded by this new patch and what it has done to the game I love. I thought GW2 was going to get better with time, and I still hold out hope that it will. But it’s going to take some serious developer attention (and more importantly, INTERACTION WITH THE COMMUNITY) for me to feel like we’re there.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Opsfor.2814

Opsfor.2814

well… i’m one of the players who can’t participate the event cos it was 4am for me. Sleep > Game. lol. i disagree with having One Time event. Anet didn’t really show consideration for other players who are in different time zone.

Posted by: Xelonir.5921

Xelonir.5921

ANet has such a nice system in place at the very start of the game, where things run in an instance, with a “blocking” event that keeps people busy until a certain amount of players has entered the instance and then proceeds.

They should simply use a similar system for these events, and making the instance available for a certain amount of time that allows players all over the world to do it (once per account) at a suitable time.

Sabo.1485

ANet has such a nice system in place at the very start of the game, where things run in an instance, with a “blocking” event that keeps people busy until a certain amount of players has entered the instance and then proceeds.

They should simply use a similar system for these events, and making the instance available for a certain amount of time that allows players all over the world to do it (once per account) at a suitable time.

Oh, in the tutorial areas you mean? Like the human one where you have to fight centaurs at the gates for a little bit?

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: goldenhornet.1205

goldenhornet.1205

I also wanted space to put comments at the end of the survey.

Unlike the OP, I really enjoyed the one-time event. I like that you create a reason for new content to appear in the world rather than just patch it in and leave.

I did want to comment on the more technical problems with the event however. It seems that weeks/months of fixing problems with dynamic events and heart tasks not resetting properly hasn’t taught the dev team anything. The event was spoiled by quest lines blocked by bugged NPCs that really you should be able to code properly by now.

Also, I wanted to question the wisdom of having a free trial weekend at the same time as a very limited time world event. The extra influx of players this caused probably contributed to the terrible lag conditions experienced on the Friday and to a lesser extent on the Saturday. As many people have shared, the big Friday event opener in Lions Arch was totally unplayable as you fought both the server lag and the culling effects which resulted in being killed by monsters you couldn’t see while trying to trigger powers that never fired.

Trying to cram all this in to a single 3 day event meant that I guess your support and dev teams didn’t get much sleep and a large percentage of the player base were unable to attend. I hope in future events you space things out a little more and allow all parties a little more breathing room.

Posted by: Xelonir.5921

Xelonir.5921

Oh, in the tutorial areas you mean? Like the human one where you have to fight centaurs at the gates for a little bit?

Yes, exactly. Every tutorial seems to have a similar mechanic implemented.

Posted by: Rin of Rivvinda.4971

Rin of Rivvinda.4971

Yes space at end of survey would have been great so i agree and comment here instead also.

My biggest point about the update was also the one-time part. I like it as a one-time thing happening in tyria but not on just 1 time in the game, because of the timezone issues. I propose to use the old gw1 system where things where going on for 24 hours, repeating every 3 hours.

PROPOSAL :
To still keep the feeling of the change, make it so that everyone who has completed the event on his/her account moves to the main server where the event is run the first time and stays completed afterwards.
If you have not yet completed the event, you should be moved an overflow map when you enter where the event will start every 3 hours. After completion it stays like that and new overflow server opens for players who still need to complete it (and so on until the event is over)
Further a system should be used to prevent players who repeat the event again (though party joining) from recieving the special 1 time rewards (but still get ‘normal’ loot, exp, gold and karma as reward for helping in the event) To explain this, for the Karka event, this should mean that you only get the reward box with 20 slot bag + change at precursor weapons once, on repeat you should still get 2 exotics (no precursors) and 2 rares + normal event rewards of exp,karma,coin.

With such a system everyone wins, you still have the ‘on time event’ feeling, because you wont see the event again, but players who play other times can still join by doing it on the overflow servers where you go by default for as long as the event runs and you did not complete it.

For the rest i liked the event (perhaps the second time reinforcements on the final was a bit much, but on the other hand, it showed the scale of the event) I specially liked the rewards, 20 slot box is great and also makes the event worth it (because you spend a lot on repair and portals)

for the story it was a pity that one of the story line npc’s from the Friday events was badly bugged so you had to wait to after phase 2 to complete phase 1.
Also really happy with a new lv 80 map that is NOT full of risen
Also really liked the opening on Friday that something did really happen and you had to fight (opposed to the short movie of Halloween) even though it was lagfest like crazy…

All in all i like these type of event to continue, but please with some system like proposed to make sure everyone can enjoy them at a for him/her acceptable time.

Vin Lady Venture, of The Rising Falcons [RiFa]
member of the Fissure of Woe (FoW) community

Posted by: nysta.6713

nysta.6713

i felt the survey was oddly in tune with this last few weeks of anet’s releases. baffling. the lack of space to put comments showed the lack of interest in the obvious panic many of us are feeling with the recent announcements.

i think they’ve miscalculated the “fun” of one-time events by narrowing their targetted audience too far. they’ve narrowed it further with the introduction of a more wow-like grind masquerading as end-game.

i’m one of those who preferred replayability to endgame. the whole game was supposed to be endgame. that was the catch-phrase. if this event heralds the concept for future events to be so narrowminded in their inclusiveness, i’m going to have to need some help putting my jaw back on my head.

for me, not having a comments section was pretty much underscoring the new philosophy which has taken gw2 into a whole new, or rather old, mmo direction where the company you trusted suddenly takes a few steps back, builds a one-way mirror wall, and starts adding bizarre patches. i’m concerned that this event, while it had a wonderful concept, was made for the guys in the office rather than the game itself.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

I’m also not a big fan of this new dungeon, mostly because I haven’t been able to try it yet. I primarily play during the very late-night hours. There aren’t many people on. And there are NO people who want to do the level 1 part of the dungeon. So I haven’t been able to go in yet, and of course as more time passes my chances of getting to do level 1 shrink further, to the point that I’ve basically written off any notion of getting to do that dungeon at all.

Not being able to enter a dungeon because of your work/home situation can hardly be blamed on arenanet.The dungeon is open 24/7 and i still see loads of people asking for levels ranging from 1 – 15.

Posted by: Humposaurus.5764

Humposaurus.5764

I plaed through the entire event. Died multiple times due to invisible crabs, but plowed my way through. Got to the end, a nice cutscene and a big chest. Some random exotics nice! Then I heard this:
“Lololol afk’ed after the first part, still got the gold medal. And look! [Dusk] [Spark]”

I cried myself to sleep that evening….

Posted by: Deadlyflea.4029

Deadlyflea.4029

lol, for me the link the the survey (for both emails i’ve received today) leads to a page not found error, obviously my feed back is not wanted :P

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

I filled out my survey also today and even though I did put a lot of my comments in the “other” sections I did wish it had an additional comments at the end of the survey. Most surveys do ask for your personal thoughts…..

So I will post them here in hopes that ArenaNet does read this.

Since release I have been playing Guild Wars 2 everyday. Even thru the Ranger nerfs and poor updates ( but that’s another post! :P )

I was REALLY looking forward to this one time event. Since I am disabled and I can be on during the day I was able to see the start of the event. My heart goes out to those who work or have other obligations and couldn’t log on. I don’t think that is how events should work in ANY game. All should be able to participate and not have to goto YouTube to see what happened!

When the event started it was so laggy that I couldn’t tell what was going on! I could only cast my auto-shot and my FPS went to crap. I have a decent machine (i7/5870) and never have had a problem in game yet. After a few mins I finally got loot to turn into the NPC so I could try and get some type of credit for the event. I think after the first part of the event was done I turned in only 2 items.

Then it went to the in-game movie with the Giant Karka destroys the lighthouse, which was a slideshow, When the slideshow was over I then immediately got disconnected. I logged back on and found myself in the overflow and the event was over.

We then saw that the new FoTM dungeon was open so I got a group of guildies together and tried to enter the dungeon but we couldn’t zone in. After several attempts to try to zone in, trying everything we could think of to get in, we gave up.

I then went to lions arch and talked to one on the new event NPCs and they talked about going to Kessex Hills . After killing the sea witch then heading to the NPC in Viathan Lake I saw several players waiting by the NPC and the chest underwater. Only to find out that the NPC was bugged!!

People where typing about it in General chat and also mentioning that the other Event NPCs in the other zones where also bugged.

At this point I was VERY frustrated. I lost all interest and just didn’t care anymore, which was a first for me in Guild Wars 2. Since the event started I haven’t logged back into Guild Wars 2 till today. I haven’t been to the new zone or the new dungeon. I lost all interest. How can an event that is so buggy even hit the live servers is beyond me. Why are there no test severs for stuff like this? I understand not wanting to give away the whole event on the test server, but certain parts of the event could be tested. It’s obvious that the internal testing does NOT have enough people to test events like this!

After the Halloween event, which I did enjoy very much, it was really disappointing to see what happened to The Lost Shores event, the ONE time event.

I care about Guild Wars 2, I really did enjoy playing! That’s why I am taking my time and telling you all how I personally feel and what my experience was (I would have put these comments in the survey if it had a spot). I hope something like this to never happen again and we don’t see these “one time” events ever again. Let EVERYONE experience it!

• And just watched the GameBreaker video that there where rewards, more parts of the event, mechanics of the event that I had no clue about because the lag was so kitten bad….

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/the-lost-shores-post-mortem/

(edited by MrLee.6892)

Posted by: Lamont.5973

Lamont.5973

I enjoyed the event very much and don’t really mind that some got great drops and I only got mediocre – I don’t like the looks of the legendaries anyway.

But, to be honest, having every player on every server have to play the event at the exact same time was just asking for trouble and was a very very very bad call.

If you can’t figure out a way to stagger servers then please don’t do any more of these. Just don’t. I would rather be able to play with my friends and not have them constantly disconnecting than have the event at all.

(OK so people could change to a second server and get a second 3hr fight with some nice loot – they can only change once ever 7 days so it’s not like they will be server hopping all day)

And nothing was asked about the ascended gear – just freeze it where it is at and NEVER NEVER NEVER add any more stat progression. It stinks.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

I didn’t get a mail offering a link to a survey; I only knew it existed because of this thread.
Would someone care to link it?

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I didn’t get a mail offering a link to a survey; I only knew it existed because of this thread.
Would someone care to link it?

I got one yesterday then deleted from mail when I completed it and got another one today asking me to take the survey again.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/eGW2LostShores_en

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

I like one-time events as they keep the world fresh, dynamic, and engaging. I disagree that they should reward players who can make it. Rewards, if any, should be cosmetic (like the witch hat).

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

I like one-time events as they keep the world fresh, dynamic, and engaging. I disagree that they should reward players who can make it. Rewards, if any, should be cosmetic (like the witch hat).

The Halloween one-time was mostly fine (design-wise, the mass DCs sucked) because – while enteraining – it didn’t take anything tangible from people who couldn’t make it.
Now this event… well. Terrible.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: kanikani.2430

kanikani.2430

I agree with the OP fully and I wrote as much as I could similarly in the survey they sent.

This game was all about you can do what you want and progress in different ways if you want. That’s why they let you get money/xp in so many different ways, exploring, dungeons, crafting, fighting, quests, events, etc.

Now this new thing can only be done in one way. Who is running this game now?

Ishionna (80 Ele)
Maguuma

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

This needs to exist on all big content to prevent the massive amounts of lag and people.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I’m going to touch on a couple things you mentioned. I missed out on much of it as i too had RL issues. Also, I’m sorry to hear about your sister, not much i can say beyond that.

First and foremost, the ascended gear currently only available in the dungeon is also only required in the dungeon, no where else in the game will you be required to use it. As a matter of fact the stats on it aren’t really that great given the upgrade slot is only for infusions, either defensive or offensive. It’s also possible to craft them in the forge, however expensive. They have said, as they expand on the ways to acquire these pieces, there may also be a need for them outside the dungeon. Right now however, that isn’t the case.

Second, as to one time events, think about how many one time events happen daily, how many things you might miss out on. It’s hardly something that doesn’t normally occur. Everything found in that end chest is available to find elsewhere in the game, including pre-cursors. I’m glad they made the drop rate higher temporarily, if for no other reason than to drive the prices down in the AH.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Never.6014

Never.6014

One-time events have been covered pretty well, so I’ll just say that I hate them.

Onto other matters, I think that instead of adding more grind to the “endgame” we should be given incentive to return to existing parts of Tyria. Zones below level 75-80 have become quite empty, and that needs to change. Please give us equal rewards at any content, or maybe have certain zones give a special boost each day. For example, on one day Gendra— Genrrand— Genradd— Kessex Hills has 10% more xp/karma/money, etc. The next day it’s Sparkfly Fen. This could be random and different for each player so it keeps people roaming around.

We don;t want more power to chase, we want more content to see and do. It is not necessary to make us gear up for new content once we obtain high quality max level gear.

Tell Anet’s boss what you think: http://tinyurl.com/arkgzku

Posted by: Lothair.8942

Lothair.8942

We don;t want more power to chase, we want more content to see and do. It is not necessary to make us gear up for new content once we obtain high quality max level gear.

More content to see =/= more money in ANETs pocket. They want everyone funneled through LA & FoTM farming ascended gear and converting your cold hard cash to gems so you can buy the remainder of their materials to complete them. Try farming for the materials, see how far you’ll get.

Posted by: Jorn Wolfgang.3712

Jorn Wolfgang.3712

Thanks for mentioning the survey I just went back through my email and filled it out. Hopefully next time they have a one time event they keep it separate from the guest weekend. I had to really work at convincing a couple of people to play and they will not be coming back anytime soon.

Friday the event kicked off at noon while we were at work. No worries we thought we could hit the storyline quests. Lions Arch to start it off and from there we bounced between zones and instances finding the quest npc’s broken. Saturday morning to early afternoon they were still broken. I convinced them to hit up a couple starter areas and class quests.

We met up had lunch screwed around at a bar for a couple hours. Feeling nice and relaxed we head our separate ways go home and hop back in the game. We check the npc’s and find they removed them instead of fixing. At which point buddy number 1 bails. My second buddy stuck around for a bit but was no longer interested in the event.

Morale of the story if you are going to do a one time event make sure that everything works and if not have support ready to fix the broken parts. Secondly if you are going to get friends coming in for a weekend event make doubly sure it is for part of the game that works. I felt like an kitten after convincing these guys to play to only hit problem after problem. Neither is interested in coming back and I can’t say I blame them. I did not follow any of the rest of the event after this and just tooled around with an alt the rest of the weekend.

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

If they want more comments, why aren’t they rereading the closed and moved lost shore forum? (Maybe they are, but who can know that? They just closed and moved it, without saying anything.)

There is a lot of feedback in it, but it seems that will be forgotten.

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

One-Time Events are nice but they should not be so one-time ;
First, it creates lag because we gotta all be there at the same minute to participate. Then, a lot of people can’t participate, so the event should maybe repeat all over a week so that those people can’t really have an excuse.