Anet, why dont you split PvE and WvW?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hekdragoon.1972

Hekdragoon.1972

- Diferent traits and skills in WvW and PvE, just like in PvP.
- Specific daily for WvW, don’t mess it with the PvE one.
- You can keep the PvE gear in WvW (so people wont cry).

What would be the downside to this? I fail to see it, it would make it better for you to balance things, WvW guys wouldnt even have to leave WvW to do the daily (which I dont know if its the case now) and they would not have to work again to regain their gear.
Hell, Im not even suggesting to remove WvW from map completion, which would be another logical thing to do. (Aside from making Commander tag more expensive but account wide).

Posted by: LoopySnoopy.7923

LoopySnoopy.7923

WvW first and foremost is PVX, you can do your daily in WvW easily if you just get out of the zerg once in a while.
Also to note it is the hardcore elite of WvW that thinks it’s PVP well they are truly wrong on that. I agree that WvW completion should not be tied to World Completion I also agree that commander tags should cost a bit more but not to be allowed accountbound.

As for balance it’s simple PVE is so unbalanced it’s unreal and the mix of the player VS Player is again balanced to an edge of its life. Anet just need to do a large balance sweep across the board to shift a lot of the top tier classes, hopefully when this large balance feature patch comes it’ll help with the balance issues.

Too much agreement kills a chat.

(edited by LoopySnoopy.7923)

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

WvW first and foremost is PVX, you can do your daily in WvW easily if you just get out of the zerg once in a while.
Also to note it is the hardcore elite of WvW that thinks it’s PVP well they are truly wrong on that. I agree that WvW completion should not be tied to World Completion I also agree that commander tags should cost a bit more but not to be allowed accountbound.

As for balance it’s simple PVE is so unbalanced it’s unreal and the mix of the player VS Player is again balanced to an edge of its life. Anet just need to do a large balance sweep across the board to shift a lot of the top tier classes, hopefully when this large balance feature patch comes it’ll help with the balance issues.

As always with nerfs they actually broke all the contenders to other “top teir” classes when any number of nerfs made things slightly too weak to stand up, broke traits/utilities etcetc… ranger longbows, so many, many engi traits and so much more…the list goes on and most all of them were caused by some nerf or other

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I’m hoping they get around to doing that eventually. It would allow them to do 2 things:

A) Properly balance WvW PvP without breaking PvE by separating skill linkings between the two. A nerf to warriors in WvW would affect them in PvE.

B) Allow them to cap armor stats at exotic in WvW while allowing a near infinite armor progression in PvE. I do understand that there are some folks who practically need the 10% extra stat handicap that Ascended gear gives them in WvW in order to be competitive, but at the same time if anything gets added beyond Ascended gear it will start to do really bad things to that part of the game.

I’m all for them separating WvW PvP and the rest of PvE even farther. That would be amazing.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

They have already stated that they will never split PvE/WvW/PvP completely because they feel it is too much work and too hard.

Basically if it doesn’t make them money very fast then it isn’t worth doing.

Posted by: Willowleaf.5721

Willowleaf.5721

They should do like they did for GW1, split PvE and PvP/WvWvW skills. Like that PvE players would not get their classes nerfed into oblivion.

Necro (LV 80), thief, ele, guardian, engineer, revenant, ranger.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Supposedly they want to avoid GW1 style splits, because it made going from PVE to PVP confusing for newbies.

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

Their reason is creating too many different skills hence having too many things to balance. And they don’t want players to relearn all their skills in different game mode.

However we all know it simply doesn’t work.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

And probably sooner or later they’ll be forced to do it.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Mochann.5298

Mochann.5298

If you don’t do WvW and PVE, you should’t give suggestions on how to improve both.
That said, there already is a specific set of Dailies for WvW, so there’s nothing to do there.

As for different traits and skills, this actually would probably make quite a few people happy, since some people have different builds for WvW and PVE, and hate having to retrait each time they jump from one to the other.

Frankly though, I personally think that all three main game modes — PVE, WvW and PVP — should have the same traits, skills and equipment. I hate how the PVP balance is fragmented from PVE. They should be the same for me. I also would like to wear my PVP gear in WVW or PVE. Shame I can’t.

It’s bad game design IMO if your game in one mode is broken with the exact same mechanics in another game mode. If the game is well-designed, it should have the same balance no matter which game mode it’s in.

BTW — I would like to note that if I play WvW, all I need to do is play normally for about an hour or two and my dailies are usually magically done by then. I don’t even have to pay attention to doing them; they get done by themselves. Playing WVW is like the easiest way to do your dailies.

Usually it’s something like this:

• 10 Daily Invader Kills – done by killing players
  • Daily Event Completion – done by capping anything
  • Daily Kills – done by killing things
  • Daily Gathering – I always break off to mine that Platinum Ore
  • Champion Killer – lvoe this, so easy
  • Daily Leveller – happens automatically without thinking after 2-3 caps of towers, keeps or camps
  • World Ranker – happens after about 30 minutes of play automatically

Regardless of what mix and match of dailies are present, I usually have 5 of them covered with the above.

#ELEtism on Eredon Terrace

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

They can’t balance WvW like sPvP for the simple reason that you aren’t dealing with the same numbers 95% of the time.

And I doubt WvW players are bothered by dailies. You can complete your dailies from the comfort of WvW. The main complain from them is that Ascended equipments “forces” (because I don’t think it’s such a big deal) them to play in PvE.

The main complain for PvErs is that they hate WvW with a passion.

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

They can’t balance WvW like sPvP for the simple reason that you aren’t dealing with the same numbers 95% of the time.

And I doubt WvW players are bothered by dailies. You can complete your dailies from the comfort of WvW. The main complain from them is that Ascended equipments “forces” (because I don’t think it’s such a big deal) them to play in PvE.

The main complain for PvErs is that they hate WvW with a passion.

You can get all the crap you need to make ascended gear in WvW. It’s just far quicker to get all the needed materials in PvE. So saying it forces you to do something is just silly.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

digiowl.9620

It will always be impossible to balance PVE and PVP as one unless we can come up with an AI that plays like a human without melting the server cluster.

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

- Diferent traits and skills in WvW and PvE, just like in PvP.
- Specific daily for WvW, don’t mess it with the PvE one.
- You can keep the PvE gear in WvW (so people wont cry).

What would be the downside to this? I fail to see it, it would make it better for you to balance things, WvW guys wouldnt even have to leave WvW to do the daily (which I dont know if its the case now) and they would not have to work again to regain their gear.
Hell, Im not even suggesting to remove WvW from map completion, which would be another logical thing to do. (Aside from making Commander tag more expensive but account wide).

Why? If it was up to me Spvp would be done away with and we could just use our gear anywhere.

Getting ganked in WvW? Need to learn how to counter specific classes? Running a bad build for roaming?

I like that your post has zero reasons to split pve from pvp. And oh yeah spvp is already split from pve.

I do my dailies all the time in WvW.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

WvW is PvPvE. Meaning that is has both environmental as well as human elements that a player has to face. Technically this does make it different than plain pve or plain pvp, as it is a combination of the two.

I do agree in separating them, though I don’t necessarily agree that they would require a separation of skills. At least not as distinctly as straight pvp sometimes does, since the pve element does still exist.

I also agree that the normal wvw dailies should be separated out from the standard ‘dailies’ list. Considering they broke the pvp dailies into their own catagory, it would be logical to follow the same pattern with wvw. They are each their own mode, with their own followings.

Edit: Besides, a couple of extra laurels would be a nice thing….

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

One can only hope but I agree with the op, I would like to see WvW achievement requirements taken out of purely PVE gameplay because this is not Aion we don’t need to make the same mistakes as before (like world exploration, forgive me if they already did it)

I would also like to see them balance the classes range on weapons that are exactly the same weapon (such as warrior rifle vs engineer rifle) the same goes for other classes, and I’d personally ask for them to make engineers a heavy class instead of a leather class because in every other title they have always traditionally been a soldier class like they were in BWE1 before the change.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Mochann.5298

Mochann.5298

WvW is PvPvE. Meaning that is has both environmental as well as human elements that a player has to face. Technically this does make it different than plain pve or plain pvp, as it is a combination of the two.

I do agree in separating them, though I don’t necessarily agree that they would require a separation of skills. At least not as distinctly as straight pvp sometimes does, since the pve element does still exist.

I also agree that the normal wvw dailies should be separated out from the standard ‘dailies’ list. Considering they broke the pvp dailies into their own catagory, it would be logical to follow the same pattern with wvw. They are each their own mode, with their own followings.

You’d still be limited to one laurel a day, just like how it is today with PVP and PVE dailies. You can’t do your PVP dailies for 1 laurel, then do your PVE for another.

#ELEtism on Eredon Terrace

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Your biggest problem that you need to get over is 2 fold.
First wvw is not made to be balanced there is always going to be something that you have or the other team has that will put you at an advantages or disadvantages in a week or in a fight its an open fight so any thing goes.
Second 1v1 are not how classes are balanced there are some class that are and always will be better in a 1v1 and should win out every time. This game is made for team battles in a more pvp setting.
These things will always keep wvw in a places where its not true pvp and it should not be a true pvp places Spvp is for that and that is why Spvp has a very limited set of gear runes etc… and is not on the same balanced as pve (though they are trying to make it a bit closer).

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

You’d still be limited to one laurel a day, just like how it is today with PVP and PVE dailies. You can’t do your PVP dailies for 1 laurel, then do your PVE for another.

Sorry, I should have phrased it differently I guess. Options for obtaining laurels.. If you opt to do the pvp dailies, you only have 4 to do. Yes, regular dailies only require 5, but I don’t think there are 5 wvw specific generally. I don’t tend to pay attention to those, but it looks like there are only 3 wvw specific for today… If, for example, a wvwer didn’t have to leave wvw to complete their dailies, wouldn’t that make some of them happier? (I’m aware that in some cased, you can complete the normal daily without leaving, but not in all cases from my understanding) Or if the dailies were specifically wvw tailored and didn’t have to include things like gathering, or crafting?

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

RedStar.4218

You can get all the crap you need to make ascended gear in WvW. It’s just far quicker to get all the needed materials in PvE. So saying it forces you to do something is just silly.

I know it’s silly, that’s why I tried to make it clear that personally I don’t see a problem.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

It will happen sooner or later when the devs finally wake up. It happened in GW1. They said they would never separate the 2, but eventually the did. They separated skills to have different effects in PvE and PvP, they allowed you to purchase all skills for PvP only, end even let you purchase accounts that where strictly PvP. PvP in GW1 was supposed to be end game and PvE only used to unlock your equipment and skills. That was a complete failure. unfortunately Anet failed to learn from past mistakes.

RedStar.4218

Some skills already have slight differences in PvE and sPvP. As for WvW, that won’t happen.

digiowl.9620

Some skills already have slight differences in PvE and sPvP. As for WvW, that won’t happen.

Dunno. WVW confusion follows SPVP rather than PVE. At launch it followed PVE, but it was quickly changed to SPVP after complaints about how much damage it did.

RedStar.4218

Didn’t PvE confusion got caught into that too ? Sorry, didn’t pay too much attention on this since my characters don’t really cause confusion and I don’t attack too much when I have it.

digiowl.9620

Didn’t PvE confusion got caught into that too ? Sorry, didn’t pay too much attention on this since my characters don’t really cause confusion and I don’t attack too much when I have it.

If so the wiki is out of date, as it still lists PVE confusion as being twice as a strong as PVP confusion.