Thought's on ranger

Thought's on ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

I always played the worst class in any Open World Pvp mmo or in this case WvW.
And for GW2, yes Ranger. I could easily roll my Thief if i prefer easy mode. But meh.. no challenge = no fun. Seriously i got bored killing roamers. I can’t deny that it is fun for a while killing players who have no chance react usually. And i am not even in full ascended. But it got old pretty fast for me.
So i’ve been running Rangers for months now. Yeah i got owned most of the time but the fun came when i downed someone with the worst class in game!
That’s what i called FUN! But of course if i’m in my ownage mood i’ll switched back to my thief lol
So my advise is : Always Level up a Theif or Mesmer IF you wanna play Ranger. Cause if you got kittened, you always could switch to one of those classes and Return for The Kill for the LOLZ!

Thought's on ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

1) You are not going to get Anet to respond by antagonizing them. Your question is phrased very passive-aggressive.

2) There are multiple classes with low skill floors and ceilings and they have to be there for noobs to have something safe but effective to play. Warrior, any spec, and Guardian, bunker, are pretty much the mainstays and have been since launch. Current Meta: PU Mesmer, though I would argue mesmers have a moderate skill ceiling even when their skill floor so low in this particular meta. What makes these entry level classes is that you dont need to be good to be effective. While I feel the Ranger is easy to play (my main) and has a comparable skill ceiling to warrior, its lack of effectiveness at the skill floor really prevents it from being a good noob class for PvP and serious WvW and PvE, while longbow makes it effective at casual WvW and casual openworld PvE.

So Yes, Ranger is a noob class for some things, but its not THE noob class because a noob class has to be good enough to help noobs break into some high level things, and the ranger is not actually competitive enough to help a noob break into challenging pve, pvp or wvw as easily as Warrior.

In the future, it could be comparable to warrior as THE noob class: changes to buff cap, at least in raids, would guarantee rangers 1 spot. If they ever make spirits into auras instead of these stupidly weak totems, rangers will have a spot in GWEN wvw. Rangers have low rep in tournament play, but 1 of us was on the winning team of the last major tournament and was a huge contributor to the success of the team. And no one knows what Druid will really add.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

Thought's on ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

The top 20% PvE tournaments? lol okay then.

Are you saying that the top 20% of the playerbase appear in those tournaments. Maybe you’re talking about the top 2-3%?

Would you feel more comfortable asking the hundreds of competitive players in the dungeon forums about this? Let’s count the guilds that run rangers for competition? DnT? SC? KING?

This conversation is over. You’ve never heard of what I’m talking about in any of the 3 formats.

So let’s say hundreds of people talk in the dungeon forums and there are a hunded thousand rangers playing the game.

What percentage do you calculate that as. Your issues may be real, but making up numbers isn’t going to help your cause.

And if this a dungeon specific problem, OP should post in the dungeon forums, maybe those dungeon cracks can help OP in finding a viable group composition for rangers.

If you actually read what he said you would see that this isn’t a dungeon specific problem. The problem is rangers don’t have the tools to be competitive in any game mode.

This is a fact. You all seem to be ignoring what the op is saying and just responding with, ” but it’s fun to RP with and open world pve with so the class is fine”

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

Thought's on ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: InsidiousWaffle.7086

InsidiousWaffle.7086

I’m tired if this bullkitten, you guys need to calm down with your victim complexes. Ranger is a good class. It can do very well for itself in any of the three game modes. Rangers one weak point is active team support, but it does very well for itself in every other way.

If you care to see a good ranger paper, check out gladomer on youtube and twitch, then tell me ranger is bad

Thought's on ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Darkness.9732

Darkness.9732

Anet devs, do you consider ranger to be the newbie class, that gets people through content without really trying, but has a very hard, low cap?

Consider that ranger is represented at 0% or close to 0% in the top competitive teams for PvP and PvE, and is unwelcome in WvW guilds to the point that “no rangers accepted” is a common statement seen on guild sites.

Can we assume you intend for the profession to be “intro to GW2”? Should serious players move on after a while?

Man you will not have an answer from anet on this.
Too many times we asked for some ranger love but still nothing.
I doubt things will change.

Thought's on ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Are you saying that the top 20% of the playerbase appear in those tournaments. Maybe you’re talking about the top 2-3%?

Would you feel more comfortable asking the hundreds of competitive players in the dungeon forums about this? Let’s count the guilds that run rangers for competition? DnT? SC? KING?

This conversation is over. You’ve never heard of what I’m talking about in any of the 3 formats.

So let’s say hundreds of people talk in the dungeon forums and there are a hunded thousand rangers playing the game.

What percentage do you calculate that as. Your issues may be real, but making up numbers isn’t going to help your cause.

And if this a dungeon specific problem, OP should post in the dungeon forums, maybe those dungeon cracks can help OP in finding a viable group composition for rangers.

If you actually read what he said you would see that this isn’t a dungeon specific problem. The problem is rangers don’t have the tools to be competitive in any game mode.

This is a fact. You all seem to be ignoring what the op is saying and just responding with, ” but it’s fun to RP with and open world pve with so the class is fine”

OK, maybe then all who play ranger are simply not skilled enough, thats what i read from it.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Thought's on ranger

in Ranger

Puck.9612

OK, maybe then all who play ranger are simply not skilled enough, thats what i read from it.

It has nothing to do with personal skill. If you take the greatest driver in the world and stick him in a go kart is it the drivers fault he can’t compete in a nascar race? Does that make the go kart any less fun to drive?

Thought's on ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Matt.7890

Matt.7890

So i’m just going to give everyone here a different perspective on ranger real quick. If you have the time, then go to gladomer’s channel on Twitch tv. Ranger is almost all he plays, and he dominates in WvW with it (on a WvW server too). I don’t think ranger is completely useless in pvp.

Thought's on ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

It has nothing to do with personal skill. If you take the greatest driver in the world and stick him in a go kart is it the drivers fault he can’t compete in a nascar race? Does that make the go kart any less fun to drive?

You would have to ask that the greatest driver in the world.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Thought's on ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: SNIEVES.3964

SNIEVES.3964

OK since we have so many people, and a few love there Ranger while others don’t care for them, tell me :
Why did the developers of guild wars 1 or 2 create the ranger?
What is the purpose of this class. ?
why is there so much hate towards the class?
and on the same topic since you think rangers are useless, thieves are usless as well m in pve and in www zergs, lets get rid of them and the ranger, and while you at lets get rid of the necros, becasue there is no love for them in the game as well?

So now we got hard dps, warrior, gurdian ele, oh waite forgot about the mesemers, gert rid of them too, cause only thing they got is teleport, mass invisi, and portal, other than that no sustain, either, hehhe.

thee game needs to be balance, screw meta, meta should be done with and nerfed, ele ice bow needs to be nerfed, 100k dmg in 3 -5 seconds, is crazy, 25 stacks of anythiongn is crazy.

Thought's on ranger

in Ranger

Puck.9612

OK since we have so many people, and a few love there Ranger while others don’t care for them, tell me :
Why did the developers of guild wars 1 or 2 create the ranger?
What is the purpose of this class. ?

That is pretty much what is being asked in this thread. Since after 3 years anet still hasn’t given rangers the tools to be competitive in any game mode what is the purpose of the class? Is it just meant for new and casual players?

why is there so much hate towards the class?
and on the same topic since you think rangers are useless, thieves are usless as well m in pve and in www zergs, lets get rid of them and the ranger, and while you at lets get rid of the necros, becasue there is no love for them in the game as well?

So now we got hard dps, warrior, gurdian ele, oh waite forgot about the mesemers, gert rid of them too, cause only thing they got is teleport, mass invisi, and portal, other than that no sustain, either, hehhe.

This is why I normally avoid the general forums…. it should be renamed to the “open world PvE” forums.

Thieves, necros, and mesmers all have a solid place in WvW and PvP. Thieves and mesmers have a solid place in dungeons. There is no game mode where a ranger is the best choice to bring.

Edit: I see they moved this out of the general forum… not sure if I’m happy about that or not. It means less people making completely irrelevant arguments like how their pet makes RP’ing better, but it also means the thread will receive less attention.

(edited by Puck.9612)

Thought's on ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

1) You are not going to get Anet to respond by antagonizing them. Your question is phrased very passive-aggressive.

That isn’t really an issue as Anet in general avoids this subforum so.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

Thought's on ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Oh they moved this to the ranger forum. Just ignore this, fellow rangers. We already know all this stuff. I was throwing a temper tantrum in the general forum “for awareness”.

Thought's on ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

it’s not about what you like, aurora, or your roleplay phantasies it’s about (numerical and mechanical) facts.
gameplay and fun doesn’t matter when it comes to efficiency and numbers.

what the goals for ranger were i don’t know. i guess you had to have that class since it is a classic one in nearly every rpg (the usual treehugger with bow and pet). i have never played one since they have always been subpar.

What percentage of the playerbase do you really think cares aobut numerical and mechanical facts. I’m guessing it’s a much smaller percentage than you think it is.

Stop hijacking the ranger subforum Vayne.

Edit: Ha! I was worried Vayne was trying to hijack the Ranger subforum, but as it turns out, this thread was moved from the general discussion forum.

As for the inital question, I don’t think it has anything to do with "being considered a noob profession. I think the reason why the Ranger is lacking is because they tried to achieve something with the Ranger they clearly weren’t able to pull off.

The wanted to give us a companion that fights with us, so that we are able to be at two places at once, being able to apply pressure to multiple targets or being able to “surround” a target. But what we actualy got was a deaf AI that was doing too much damage, and because they didn’t want to nerf the pet, they nerfed the Ranger instead (Rangers having their damage cut by roughly 30%).

They wanted to make the sword the most mobile weapon in the game and accepted the flawed AA to pull that off.

They wanted to give us more control over the pet and created the shouts, which are useless for the most part.

Hell, we know that they changed our profession mechanic very late in the development (we could only choose between 4 pets but were able to customize their attacks).

The Ranger is subpar because all of its elements are subpar to what ANet imagined them to be.

The reason why that hasn’t been addressed really is probably because changing all the flawed stuff would take too much time. The fact that there are so few Ranger mains in the ANet staff is probably another reason.
The third reason is that, despite having all that flaws, the Ranger is still pretty good at kiting. So we never excell in anything, but we can simply outlast them while hitting them with our wet noodles.

(edited by Wuselknusel.4082)

Thought's on ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

Let’s refocus this:

Consider that ranger is represented at 0% or close to 0% in the top competitive teams for PvP and PvE, and is unwelcome in WvW guilds to the point that “no rangers accepted” is a common statement seen on guild sites.

Given the fact the the ranger is one of the most popular professions I’m not really sure how this matters. That is to say, at least four professions, probably five, are less popular than the ranger.

“I don’t care how good or bad my profession performs, so clearly everyone who’s questioning my profession’s performance is wrong.”
Yeah yeah, I see where this is going.

Thought's on ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Skullface.7293

Skullface.7293

You guys should keep an eye on eDream, I play with the team in ESLs and AGs on ranger with good success.

Hiro || Talgo
Main: Ranger
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/hirothebeast

(edited by Skullface.7293)

Thought's on ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: DoogySnowStalker.2069

DoogySnowStalker.2069

Disappointing to see that Anet moved this post into the Ranger forums where it will never see the light of day.

Is a Warrior just a pet without a Ranger?