Anniversary outfit promoting Christianity

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Highness.9061

Highness.9061

Yes , with all the crosses on it I was like wow wtf ?
I thought this game had nothing to do with real life religions , a clown outfit or anything that represent the game would’ve been good and fun .

I’m not a Christian and I’m really offended by this Anet . Please do something about it , can’t I enjoy a new free outfit without a religious reference ???

Strike while the iron is hot ????????

Posted by: Brighthawk.2705

Brighthawk.2705

It’s not a Christian cross. It would need to be further up and it is not nearly narrow enough. This is more of a stain glass X or a clover.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yeah. That’s not a Christian cross. It’s more like a decorative t or a clover.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Well selling weapons in the gemstore promote murder but you dont hear us complaining about it.

Posted by: Lux Dominatoris.3941

Lux Dominatoris.3941

Wow so what if they would promote it? You’re offended? So what, the world is not only your offended at anything western society. They promote transgender, killing, homosexuality, pagan magic, politic intrigues etc etc but when a cross comes into a game omg I am oppressed by the evil Christians. Get out of here!

Deus vult!

Posted by: paulv.5361

paulv.5361

Its just a game kitten , pl stop with this religious stuff. religion is the reason people are killing people all over the world.

If we all got over that then we would be a much happier place.

If your that offended then hy are you playing a game with fantasy creatures, are they not offensive as well ?

Get a life…

Take the symbol as a " Red Cross / Paladin and it suits Guardians to a Tee

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

Clover.

and what Lux Dominatoris said.

Posted by: Rainman.6978

Rainman.6978

I’m not a Christian and I’m really offended by this Anet . Please do something about it , can’t I enjoy a new free outfit without a religious reference ???

I’m not a transsexual. You don’t hear me complaining they put one of them in. It’s not even a Christian reference anyway, but they can only put stuff in involving topics you agree with? Get off your Highness Horse.

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

This has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

There’s crosses on the Guardian starter shoulders / head piece as well. But you’re the one that decides to tie it to some sort of real world religion, from within a virtual world, a place where they worship their own religious beings, depending on race. E.g., Six human Gods, the Eternal Alchemy, and so on forth. The game itself is not promoting any kind of real world religion, you are.

Get mad about anything fictional in relation to vampires while you’re at it, they tend to use crosses as a way to ward off the foul fiends—crosses which are tied to a real world religion. How dares Van Helsing carry a silver cross! It’s appalling! Or get angry at the word and inherent design of a crossbow. Ironically, your name is somewhat religious in its nature as well, Highness, even if you may not be aware of it.

I would advice you don’t read all too much into things. Especially fictional things. It makes life all the more easier and enjoyable. You got something for free.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: WAR.8465

WAR.8465

I agree with OP the same thing came to my mind when I saw the cross .

Just a flesh wound.3589

Lol. I was thinking it was ironic that the display name is Highness. It’s a term used for people who were thought to be God’s secular representative on earth. They were chosen by God to rule over others.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: JHoax.6812

JHoax.6812

You wouldn’t have by chance been in Detroit recently would you? I think i seen you on Youtube

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Dont like it, dont use it? I dont like church, so i dont go to church! Just saying

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

These are not christian crosses, these are gothic archer flowers.
These flowers were common “decoration” of fortress walls, so archers had a rather wide FoV while still being protected by walls. Before that a similar looking rune got used to depict the 4 seasons by germanic tribes. During the Renaissance this motive got picked up for decoration purposes as well, as reference to the old & famous castles / fortresses.

And beyond that, even if they were including christian crosses, jewish stars, far-east symbolism or any other religious symbols, the only offending thing about it were your intolerance.
Religion is part of our history & played many important roles in events that lead to the society you’re currently living in. Not all of them were positive, but with your not only negative, but hostile position towards it, you’re part of the problem rather than the solution. There is no mayor religion out there that does not tolerate atheism & that includes Islam. It is fanatics, such as yourself, that wage wars & cause intolerance on both sides. In fact, your ignorance, born out of a lack of education is offending me.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

Posted by: Highness.9061

Highness.9061

It’s a cross it comes in every shape and size . Why would you say it’s a clover cuz it’s not . Also if this game has fictional gods what does they have to do with the crossfcation?? Why are there crosses on this outfit , they could’ve added a million other costumes that would’ve been much better and doesn’t prompt anything ?

Strike while the iron is hot ????????

JHoax.6812

Do you have lots of cats by any chance?

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

It’s a cross it comes in every shape and size . Why would you say it’s a clover cuz it’s not . Also if this game has fictional gods what does they have to do with the crossfcation?? Why are there crosses on this outfit , they could’ve added a million other costumes that would’ve been much better and doesn’t prompt anything ?

Stop posting & read up on the thread.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

This is a troll right?! plz tell me this is a troll!!!!!

Posted by: Ronah Lynda.2496

Ronah Lynda.2496

The Cross you see on the outfit is a Gothic Architectural object.
An example of it is the Doge’s Palace in Italy. Although there are many Gothic Cathedrals in the world, the Gothic theme is more related to witchcraft and black magic then Christian beliefs which makes them to be considered more Gnostic than Christian.

Attachments:

(edited by Ronah Lynda.2496)

Posted by: Lux Dominatoris.3941

Lux Dominatoris.3941

Even if it literary was the Christian Cross. And the outfit was themed for this religion. So what? What’s your problem. Dude, just get out of here.

Deus vult!

Dawdler.8521

I still dont care but I find it amusing that everyone deny it… yet the new armor also has a rather impractical “visor” that is obviously inspired by ornamental Christian church windows.

LET THE CONSPIRACY THOUGHTS BEGIN!

Just a flesh wound.3589

Poor ANet. They can’t add any sort of decorative design to an outfit now without someone getting triggered.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Poor ANet. They can’t add any sort of decorative design to an outfit now without someone getting triggered.

Welcome to the new world i guess?

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

I think we all should boycot the ‘+’ key, maybe the ‘x’ since it’s just a lazy ‘+’.

Oh let’s also boycott a the ‘t’, because in certain fonts it looks like a ‘+’

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

JHoax.6812

A cross…
4 points…
Moon landing….
ANet….NetA…..NetA scarfe….
Honey Boo Boo….
Coincidence? I think not……Aliens my friends. Aliens.

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis,
sed nomini tuo da gloriam.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Dawdler.8521

3 A…

Half-life 3 confirmed.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I assume this is a troll post but meowever~ It doesn’t promote anything and you don’t have to wear it if you don’t want to. Even if it was it’s not much different than in RL where I don’t walk up to someone and tell them to take off all of their religious clothing because I think them wearing it is offensive to me. Then there’d be naked Nuns everywhere if the world worked like that; which may or may not be a bad thing in some situations if they’re cute. But peoples’ differences should be respected when it’s not harming anyone.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

Even if it literary was the Christian Cross. And the outfit was themed for this religion. So what? What’s your problem. Dude, just get out of here.

Don’t provoke them, remember how tolerant and peaceful non-Christians are towards everyone else.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

There’s crosses on the Guardian starter shoulders / head piece as well.

Actually it’s an Ankh, not a cross.

OP, it’s in no way a cross on the Royal Guard Outfit. It’s a simple X. Or clover, or plus symbol. But it’s not a cross. Stop trying to make drama over something that doesn’t exist.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

JHoax.6812

3 A…

Half-life 3 confirmed.

Half-Life 3…
3 rhymes with Duck…
This goes deeper than we anticipated……almost….too deep. dumbbb dumbbb dumbbbbbb

“On tomorrow’s episode! We find out, is rice truly good for your hair? If you turn a glove inside out can you really wear it on the other hand? and does mother hubbard really own a cupboard hmmmmm?”

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Well thank God we don’t have clerics in the game then.

And as others have said, not a cross.

Attachments:

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Just a flesh wound.3589

I shudder to think what the op would have said if this game had Monks and the Holy Trinity.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

Well even if it WERE a cross wouldn’t that be something brutal? You know it’s a form of torture and execution right? Might as well have used a picture of a guillotine.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Don’t you dare ruin this for me.

Jeez.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Looks like a stained glass four leaf clover to me.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I find the OP’s post history in other threads and their making this thread to be quite hypocritical.

I mean, there was even a thread where someone said people talking about god in game chat was offensive, and this OP responded with i find this thread offensive … Basically the same thing here, but here they are the thread creator saying pretty much the same thing that they previously attacked someone else for saying.

As well as another gem they said which is basically what any number of other people in this thread are saying to them:
We all had relatives die in different ways does that mean playing necro is offensive because he’s raising the dead ?
This logic is just invalid I’m sorry .
- Highness.9061

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

Don’t you dare ruin this for me.

Jeez.

I find your name to be very funny in relation to this thread’s topic. :p

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

With the latin meaning being a cross with handle. Ankh, cross with a handle, same difference. If we’re going to be pointing things out I mean.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Marko.1895

Marko.1895

Aaaaaaaaaaand the award for the dumbest thread of the year 2015 goes to…

Posted by: Miss Lana Too.5794

Miss Lana Too.5794

With the latin meaning being a cross with handle. Ankh, cross with a handle, same difference. If we’re going to be pointing things out I mean.

Yet people didn’t get up in arms over that saying GET THAT EGYPTIAN AFTERLIFE KITTEN OUT OF MY GAME.

Seriously dude. If you can’t even tolerate other religions and lifestyles then why should they tolerate yours?

45 characters, 20 level 80s, 11 impersonal story completions and counting.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

The cross didn’t originate from Christianity.

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

I think the op just wanted to take a shot at Christianity. Anet’s track record doesn’t seem to support a Christian agenda.

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

Last I saw/heard there’s no right to not be offended. Get over it.

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Meh if anything it is more closer to the Red Cross (just with rounded edges). Ever hear of that organization? I even painted mine red. So if you see me around sporting a red cross don’t cry about it please. :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Religions have inspired art for thousands of years. The artist and viewer doesn’t need to be of the religion and the art isn’t promoting it.

Go complain about Michaelangelo’s David..

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

I wonder if the OP gets equally offended by Islamic State destroying anything they see as “unislamic” or “pagan”, like the reports of the destruction of the Temple of Bel coming out of Syria this morning, or the beheading of muslims who follow the “incorrect” version of Islam in their criminalistic view?

Probably not. Far easier to get worked up over a vague symbol in a computer game!

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I wonder if the OP gets equally offended by Islamic State destroying anything they see as “unislamic” or “pagan”, like the reports of the destruction of the Temple of Bel coming out of Syria this morning, or the beheading of muslims who follow the “incorrect” version of Islam in their criminalistic view?

Probably not. Far easier to get worked up over a vague symbol in a computer game!

Like the several centuries old statues destroyed in Afghanistan by religious fanatics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhas_of_Bamiyan

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

End of the day, whilst I am a staunch / militant atheist, I really don’t have THAT much of an issue with it. No more than I have with the ankh on almost anything to do with guardians.

There are many cultures who use cross symbolism, and many subcultures within them which use their own version of those. A cross is one of the simplest possible things you can draw, so they turn up in many different places around the world, totally unconnected to each other.

If the ones in GW2 had a little man nailed to them then I’d have an issue – till then, game on.