Another Farming Spot Gets Stealth Nerfed

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: KazNaka.4718

KazNaka.4718

And farming is fun? You’re saying the game’s not intrinsically fun. Perhaps you’ve exhausted it already. Come back when they add new content.

It’s just how the game is currently. The developers didn’t really design (or didn’t do it well enough) for a prolonged, everlasting end-game.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

In the absence of farming; you have to wonder what is there to do exactly? Do these developers think this game is fun or something?

They should make a game where all you ever do is farm. That would be fun.

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

where is this cave? do potent venom sacks drop in lvl 10-25zones?

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

In the absence of farming; you have to wonder what is there to do exactly? Do these developers think this game is fun or something?

They should make a game where all you ever do is farm. That would be fun.

The NPCs should have very big swords. If you don’t dodge their swings they cut your head off and steal everything in your inventory.

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

There’s a difference between grinding and farming.

You killing the same set of creatures over and over is grinding, devs don’t like that.

Farming would be you killing those spiders 1 time then going and killing spiders somewhere else, devs are okay with that.

Yes, but why bother paying attention to the devs when you can QQ all over the forums?

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

Uruz Six.6594

Oh wow it’s vayne, who woulda expected.

Oh wow, its Gasoline QQ’ing in a farming thread, who woulda expected.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

Another farming spot nerfed is always good news.

Especially a repetitive do the same thing over and over spot – those ones really should get temp bans when exploited.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: krisztian.6513

krisztian.6513

Especially a repetitive do the same thing over and over spot – those ones really should get temp bans when exploited.

Sounds like a jelly troll who couldnt farm some nice spots in time :P dont worry, there are many yet ^^

Posted by: RoterFuchs.9216

RoterFuchs.9216

You killing the same set of creatures over and over is grinding, devs don’t like that.

Farming would be you killing those spiders 1 time then going and killing spiders somewhere else, devs are okay with that.

Wait what? So my goal is to farm let’s say potent venom sacs. Spiders drop venom sacs. It is not okay to farm the same set of spiders, but it’s okay to farm spiders as long as it’s a different location? Why? What’s the difference? Both is farming. Both is essentially killing the same type of mob. The only difference is, that you’re moving, and perhaps wasting money for waypoints. I call bullkitten.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like farming myself. But I also don’t care if others do it. I just don’t get the reasoning behind “you’re only allowed to farm as long as you run around in the world and don’t stick to one place”. Why? Do they want to keep people moving around in the world? If so, why not create an incentive to do so, instead of forcing people?

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

Some people just do not get it do they? You can farm an area for one hour before DR kicks in and you have to move anyways. Now one hour farming an area or 6, 10 minute runs through COF1. Both are considered farming.

Now consider this point, killing spiders for an hour in a defined area or moving across the map killing spiders. Both again are farming for a resource. Mining nodes across a map area for ore and lumber can be considered farming. Sitting waiting for an hour for Jormag to show up is essentially farming.

However ANET would have people playing the TP with scripts for hours on end. That is farming to the nth degree and to say that people do not use scripts when doing so is burying your head in the sand and looking elsewhere.

Now as someone up above is I am retired as well. I have plenty of time to devote to the game (not quite 3,000 hours yet) and disposable income that on occasion I use to buy gems with. Considering however that I have yet to get a precursor even with flushing a few hundred rare greatswords, a few dozen exotic greatswords, and FARMING dragon chests, etc. it is not that I lack patience it is more that I lack the hope required to believe that somehow, somewhere the rng Gods will smile upon me.

Some people find it easier to run COF1 over and over again in order to get a precursor drop. Myself, I do not like running dungeons and I would rather spend my free time farming for a resource to build greatswords to flush down the Mystic Toilet. In the end it all equates to the same thing. You have a goal in mind and find a way to achieve that goal (with varying degrees of success). Now what makes one way bad and the other good? Why is one way nerfed constantly and the other not?

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

1) You shouldn’t be farming to begin with.
2) Nothing was changed, your perception is just different.
3) Nobody cares.
4) If you aren’t having “fun” anymore, then quit.

I love ignorants like you. If he is writing about it he DOES care about this game and he doesn’t want to quit!

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

Sounds like a jelly troll who couldnt farm some nice spots in time :P dont worry, there are many yet ^^

Or you could notice what I’ve been saying since launch around here.

This game was meant to be played for the game, the actual content. The intrinsic rewards are what it is designed for.

If you want a progression based game where you need to gather all these shinies, go back to WoW where you belong.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

I enjoyed farming the skulks in Southsun when they spawned at a decent rate. You’d show up and work into a rhythm with the other players organically. People would start doing things like herding to each other, tagging just enough to get their share, whittling at the nests so they’d be ready to pop during a lull, popping group speed buffs and dropping banners, etc. Now, if someone shows up, odds are the person there will leave.

I don’t see how getting rid of a place where people went and played together was a positive.

Uruz Six.6594

Some people just do not get it do they? You can farm an area for one hour before DR kicks in and you have to move anyways. Now one hour farming an area or 6, 10 minute runs through COF1. Both are considered farming.

Now consider this point, killing spiders for an hour in a defined area or moving across the map killing spiders. Both again are farming for a resource. Mining nodes across a map area for ore and lumber can be considered farming. Sitting waiting for an hour for Jormag to show up is essentially farming.

However ANET would have people playing the TP with scripts for hours on end. That is farming to the nth degree and to say that people do not use scripts when doing so is burying your head in the sand and looking elsewhere.

You started off great and then right there in the third paragraph you lost me. TP scripts, uh, yeah, that’s a new one.

Anet does not mind farming. Anet does mind farming that can be taken advantage of to what they see as the economy and community’s detriment. Its that easy.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Yes, but why bother paying attention to the devs when you can QQ all over the forums?

Just think, if farming were like it is now back when the game started you would be one of the NCsoft fan bois in here QQin that you couldn’t get your precious legendary fast enough because the farmers can’t provide the mats needed on a timely basis. You can deny this but I’m sure the majority of the community would agree. Go figure.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Uruz Six.6594

Just think, if farming were like it is now back when the game started you would be one of the NCsoft fan bois in here QQin that you couldn’t get your precious legendary fast enough because the farmers can’t provide the mats needed on a timely basis. You can deny this but I’m sure the majority of the community would agree. Go figure.

Thank you for playing, but actually I’m not interested in actively pursuing a legendary. Maybe eventually I’ll start working towards one but none really excite me in the whole ‘must grind ’til my eyes start bleeding’ way.

And I’m sorry, where is your certification to speak for a ‘majority of the community’?

Im Mudbone.1437

This game was meant to be played for the game, the actual content. The intrinsic rewards are what it is designed for.

If you want a progression based game where you need to gather all these shinies, go back to WoW where you belong.

Shinies are weapons and gear, I don’t farm that I farm mats which are needed for your ultimate shiny the legendary, the shinies that do get dropped is just an extra to toss at the merchant for coin to fund my WP expenses, never played WoW it was to cartoonish to me sorry.

Im Mudbone.1437

Thank you for playing, but actually I’m not interested in actively pursuing a legendary. Maybe eventually I’ll start working towards one but none really excite me in the whole ‘must grind ’til my eyes start bleeding’ way.

And I’m sorry, where is your certification to speak for a ‘majority of the community’?

I too don’t have a Legendary for the same reasons. Look at my statement concerning the community closely please, I very well said, and I quote “I’m sure the majority of the community would agree.”. Notice the underlined portion? That’s an assumption not a definitive

Posted by: krisztian.6513

krisztian.6513

I never played wow but I played already progression based game so u got a point there :P but then again saying that ppl who dared to kill the same thing many times within a set amount of time/area should be punished with ban made you sound to me like someone who is just angry ^^’ only following forum in the past ~2weeks so didnt read anything farm related post from you yet.
Anyhow nerfing something like the skelk spot was in SS is something ppl could know beforehead as it was just too good, but claiming that getting 4rare worth t5 materials in like a hour is exploit is just plain stupid ^^
Also its a stealth nerf, doesnt matter what it relates to, this is just bad.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

This game was meant to be played for the game…

Farming is part of the game. “Play how you want.”

Theftwind.8976

You started off great and then right there in the third paragraph you lost me. TP scripts, uh, yeah, that’s a new one.

Anet does not mind farming. Anet does mind farming that can be taken advantage of to what they see as the economy and community’s detriment. Its that easy.[/quote]

Yes, TP scripts. You can see evidence of this if you post anything on the TP that has a buy price and a sell price with a large gap in between. If you set your sell price slightly lower then what the main buyer/seller of that commodity has his sell price at very quickly that item is bought and resold at the higher price. So for example someone has a buy order for 20 units at 10 silver each. Then you see there is a seller selling 4 units at 30 silver each with nothing in between. Set your sell price at 20 silver, still allowing the buyer to make a profit and your 20 silver piece is quickly purchased as the seller with the 4 units does not want to lose any profit on those 4 units. The buyout of your 20 silver piece happens so quickly at times that there is no way a person going through the TP could find them that fast unless they are running a script that does the looking for them. I have seen this form of trading post buying/selling in almost every game I have played and even tried a version of it in one game long ago but quickly decided that it went too much against the grain and I was no longer working for my coin and it just was not for me. I have no way of proving that people are using TP scripts in GW2 but the signs of them are there.

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Kilaelya.1420

Kilaelya.1420

I’m not sure why it’s so hard for some to understand farming is enjoyable for others. I like to see direct results of my actions. I like being self reliable. I enjoy farming. I’ve played MMOs for nearly 15 years starting with the EQ franchise. I also played GW1 from when it launched. Anet has said before they aren’t against farming if that’s what you enjoy doing.

Just because you don’t enjoy something doesn’t mean it’s impossible for someone else to enjoy it.

Minara | Ranger | Beastgate | [vR]

Theftwind.8976

My first online game was script based, a game called Gemstone that I played in the early 80s. That game had an anti farm code and if you farmed one type of MoB for too long of a period it would kick in and you had to go elsewhere and kill something else in order to “clear your cache” is how we put it. However the devs did not go around and nerf farming spots or drop ratios because people farmed a particular mob, they had that anti farming code. Why does ANET does or have both is beyond me especially with the recent post on the Southsun boards where they insisted that they are not against farming.

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

The problem I have with your diatribe is the terms reasonable amount of time. Reasonable amount of time to whom?
In most games, if you don’t have certain gear, you can’t progress at all. You need X gear in order to enter Y raid. This game doesn’t do that to you, so the amount of time it takes to get the highest end gear is longer…intentionally so.

It’s not supposed to be fast to get the best looking (matter of opinion anyway) weapons in the game. They’re not giving you more power.
The problem is, you kids today have no patience. lol

Why do you keep going to the age argument? We get it man …. You are retired, and stuck at home, and play up to 10 hours or more a day since launch, as per your statement of having played 3000+ hours already. You playing this game is basically a full time job.

If I had 3000 hours in this game, I am sure I would have my legendary too, and I would be on here telling people to relax and take their time and high fiving you on your post, but I dont.
So when I come on, I farm.
1. Because I enjoy it after a long day at work to come home and do mindless nothings for a while.
2. Because I have a goal I would like to achieve in a reasonable amount of time, so that if something new does come out .. and it will, I will be able to spend my time working toward that goal as well.

The age argument is not based on how much time I have to play. It’s based on the younger generations today being in a rush for everything and having a lot of stuff handed to them on a silver platter…things we used to have to work for. It’s a different mind set. So it’s appropriate.

I guarantee you that if I could only play 1 hour a day, I’d still feel the same way. Because I don’t expect, nor have ever expected, to get anything quickly ever. It’s just not the way I was raised.

My kids. not so much.

Well I guess you failed to pass on some of that good ole parent son teachings that were instilled in you like you say.
Me thinks you enjoy placing smoke screens in the way of what you keep saying.
Every post you write is all about time and its relevance on your perspective of the game.
You seem to enjoy making your assumptions.. firstly about how the game is designed and how it’s meant to be played out. Then you assume the definition of a player is to somehow based on how much time they play the game and by what they enjoy doing in game. Now you think to pigeon hole players by way of age and your perception of how that affects gaming attitude.

Pure and simple you enjoy guesswork, you enjoy stigmatising and you enjoy hearing the sound of your own voice… try drawing the curtains, take a walk out in the world and breath the fresh air, then come back and tell us all about your journey back into RL. You might have the time to play 24/7/ 365 so achieving things to you seems easy to do without the need to set particular goals and timescales.. but many others amongst us, young, middle aged or senile simply don’t have that luxury and so look to make adjustments in game to accommodate our own allotted time, playstyles and enjoyment.
Just please stop preaching your babble and go do something more useful.

You sound hostile. Maybe you should consider anger management classes.

90% of everything you see on these forums is guesswork. You don’t like MY guesswork, so you have a problem with me. I don’t really care that you do. That would be your problem, certainly it’s not mine.

You don’t know how much I get outside, or how much air I get, or what else I do in my spare time. In fact, that’s all just guesswork on your part. Maybe you should get out into the open are and stop trying to guess about people’s real life actions or circumstances.

At the very least it would make you seem less hypocritical.

Hostile, no not at all… you obviously still fail to understand or refuse to consider what others say if is not in agreement with what “you” believe to be the right,wrong, blue, black, up, down, casual or hardcore etc, etc.
As for guessing what you do in your spare time… well, sorry you obviously missed what was meant by that part of the post as well, but hey its no biggy…. I understand you love to post about assumptions, guesswork and hearsay, you enjoy seing your name in stars here, but maybe try reading and perhaps understand just what others say, it may open your eyes to a whole new perspective.. but please do carry on trying to look the fool with your hair brain mememe postings.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The problem I have with your diatribe is the terms reasonable amount of time. Reasonable amount of time to whom?
In most games, if you don’t have certain gear, you can’t progress at all. You need X gear in order to enter Y raid. This game doesn’t do that to you, so the amount of time it takes to get the highest end gear is longer…intentionally so.

It’s not supposed to be fast to get the best looking (matter of opinion anyway) weapons in the game. They’re not giving you more power.
The problem is, you kids today have no patience. lol

Why do you keep going to the age argument? We get it man …. You are retired, and stuck at home, and play up to 10 hours or more a day since launch, as per your statement of having played 3000+ hours already. You playing this game is basically a full time job.

If I had 3000 hours in this game, I am sure I would have my legendary too, and I would be on here telling people to relax and take their time and high fiving you on your post, but I dont.
So when I come on, I farm.
1. Because I enjoy it after a long day at work to come home and do mindless nothings for a while.
2. Because I have a goal I would like to achieve in a reasonable amount of time, so that if something new does come out .. and it will, I will be able to spend my time working toward that goal as well.

The age argument is not based on how much time I have to play. It’s based on the younger generations today being in a rush for everything and having a lot of stuff handed to them on a silver platter…things we used to have to work for. It’s a different mind set. So it’s appropriate.

I guarantee you that if I could only play 1 hour a day, I’d still feel the same way. Because I don’t expect, nor have ever expected, to get anything quickly ever. It’s just not the way I was raised.

My kids. not so much.

Well I guess you failed to pass on some of that good ole parent son teachings that were instilled in you like you say.
Me thinks you enjoy placing smoke screens in the way of what you keep saying.
Every post you write is all about time and its relevance on your perspective of the game.

snip

Pure and simple you enjoy guesswork, you enjoy stigmatising and you enjoy hearing the sound of your own voice… try drawing the curtains, take a walk out in the world and breath the fresh air, then come back and tell us all about your journey back into RL. You might have the time to play 24/7/ 365 so achieving things to you seems easy to do without the need to set particular goals and timescales.. but many others amongst us, young, middle aged or senile simply don’t have that luxury and so look to make adjustments in game to accommodate our own allotted time, playstyles and enjoyment.
Just please stop preaching your babble and go do something more useful.

You sound hostile. Maybe you should consider anger management classes.

90% of everything you see on these forums is guesswork. You don’t like MY guesswork, so you have a problem with me. I don’t really care that you do. That would be your problem, certainly it’s not mine.

You don’t know how much I get outside, or how much air I get, or what else I do in my spare time. In fact, that’s all just guesswork on your part. Maybe you should get out into the open are and stop trying to guess about people’s real life actions or circumstances.

At the very least it would make you seem less hypocritical.

Hostile, no not at all… you obviously still fail to understand or refuse to consider what others say if is not in agreement with what “you” believe to be the right,wrong, blue, black, up, down, casual or hardcore etc, etc.
As for guessing what you do in your spare time… well, sorry you obviously missed what was meant by that part of the post as well, but hey its no biggy…. I understand you love to post about assumptions, guesswork and hearsay, you enjoy seing your name in stars here, but maybe try reading and perhaps understand just what others say, it may open your eyes to a whole new perspective.. but please do carry on trying to look the fool with your hair brain mememe postings.

I have plenty of perspective. This isn’t my first rodeo. And you apparently don’t understand my posts, any more than you accuse me of not understanding yours. In fact, with each post you make, you look more and more hypocritical.

It might help if you stopped with personal insults, too, btw. Whatever arguments you might have, getting personal isn’t going to win them. I’m still not sure why people don’t get this.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

It’s evident that ANet want farming to be uniform across the world, so that you aren’t forced into a small area with mobs that are respawning faster than they are supposed to be.

Seems they want people to travel across a zone, maybe get involved in some events while farming stuff.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

After reading threads like this, I really can’t wait for Wildstar to get released. I’m going there day one and not looking back. Sadly, since ncsoft is involved with Wildstar, as well, it will also probably end up starting strong and sputtering out in a year.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

there’s one more that’s important because it’s basically one of the few places left to farm. If they nerf these locations I won’t be back ever, because they obviously have no idea what keeps people playing. Carrot on a stick. It’s a harsh reality but it’s the key reason psychologically that people keep playing for years in the majority.

I’m kindof leery about Wildstar danbuter because it’s partnered with NCsoft. I’m curious to know if Wildstar’s economy will be just like GW2 in the end so I’m not really in a rush to jump into that game. I’ll be watching the threads there to see if people complain about loot nerfs or any mechanisms to look like DR in their title. If that happens then every post we’ve made about the economy and our suspicions about the economy in this title will be validated and confirmed.

It will indeed be interesting to see what happens next.

I’m going to be watching what happens with the newest location to farm in SS cove, a location with sharks. We’ll see.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

It’s evident that ANet want farming to be uniform across the world, so that you aren’t forced into a small area with mobs that are respawning faster than they are supposed to be.

Seems they want people to travel across a zone, maybe get involved in some events while farming stuff.

There are far better ways of ensuring participation, one specific one comes to mind, improve the rewards for participation in events, and change the event handling from an all DPS all the time system to one that measures healing CC and rezzing. That’s not what we’re seeing, however.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

My first online game was script based, a game called Gemstone that I played in the early 80s.

GEnie FTW! Haha I almost forgot about that.

The Burninator

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

Buy Gems, trade them in for gold.

I have no doubt that that’s exactly what Anet wants us to do.

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

Posted by: Zoop.1360

Zoop.1360

That sentence right there is more than likely why Arenanet makes us put up with such an absolutely restrictive DR system and why they keep nerfing every single good farming spot. The harder it is to make gold, the more likely it is someone will buy gems to resell for gold.

Im Mudbone.1437

That sentence right there is more than likely why Arenanet makes us put up with such an absolutely restrictive DR system and why they keep nerfing every single good farming spot. The harder it is to make gold, the more likely it is someone will buy gems to resell for gold.

Which is why I do the complete opposite, I trade in game gold for gems if/when I want something from the scam store. I refuse to spend 1 penny more of my real money until things turn around.

Posted by: Ricky Da Man.5064

Ricky Da Man.5064

I used to go bk to the same spots to farm all the time, I farmed the hell outta the skelk, even the grawl in timberline falls when I was new to the game, I wasn’t happy at the skelk nerf, and only recently discovered the grawl nerf.

So after deciding farming like this wasn’t going to work I decided to go for world completion, currently at 50%, a steady 1 gold a day plus bags and bags of materials in the bank.

You can guarantee there is another map with spiders that drop potent venom sacs or any other materials you could want, just explore and you will end up with lots and lots of mats and other stuff, I know this doesn’t solve the issue of end game etc but just that I found that farming on the move does work better here.