Another great opport, Ps4? :)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

I found this interesting article concerning Sony Playstation 4 embracing free-to-play gaming in their gaming system.

So again, the question arises, will Arena.net reconsider and embrace this great opportunity. encouraged by sony ?

Guild wars 2 in playstation 4 , in the not so distance future?

My encouragement to Arena.net, you have another chance of expanding Guild Wars 2 in a wider market; in other word, more profit and more fame to you.

Well, let me quote exactly what was said,.

John Smedley indicates MMO’s console release is just a matter of time

“Elsewhere in the interview, Smedley explained why he believes the PlayStation 4 is going to be a lucrative new market in the free-to-play sector.

“Free-to-play gaming is going to take a large role on the PlayStation 4. In fact, you’re going to see a number of free-to-play games at launch, and we think it’s going to be the biggest opportunity in free-to-play gaming right now.

“PS4 architecture lends itself well to MMOs, because we know we can use the stable platform – where we know everyone has the same hardware. That stable base is probably the biggest advantage that PS4 offers.”

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/438663/soe-boss-i-cant-wait-to-see-everquest-next-on-ps4/

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

But GW2 isn’t free to play. It’s buy to play. It wouldn’t be different than any other ps4 game as far as that goes.

It might stand out for being an mmo but that’s beside the fact.

Posted by: VidGhost.3215

VidGhost.3215

I was thinking the same thing.. gw2 is buy to play and also has a cashshop that lets you also use ingame gold to buy things from the cashshop!

It would be awesome on PS4 though.. hope they make the port!

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Of course the SoE boss would say that about Sony’s MMO on Sony’s system.
Why would ANet want to compete with them under those conditions?

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

Why would Arenanet choose the Brickstation 4 though?

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Anet has said several times that they will not port to PS4 or any other console for that matter.
The most obvious reason being their frequent game updates.
They will instead focus on PC, which gives them the freedom to ship a new built whenever they need to

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Why would Arenanet choose the Brickstation 4 though?

https://twitter.com/John_J_Ryan/status/401507118412349440

/conspiracy

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

lol no

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Anet has said several times that they will not port to PS4 or any other console for that matter.
They will instead focus on PC, which gives them the freedom to ship a new built whenever they need to

While I have little doubt we’ll never see a PS4 version of GW2, I dont see the logic of your reasoning. An MMO is always online. You cant play without updating. Why would frequent updates be an issue on PS4? It would just start the launcher in full screen mode, change the controls to PS4 controller and voila – PS4 version of GW2. The actual console architecture is a HTPC otherwise, they shouldnt have to do much else with the game itself. Of course they may need a bigger team to have a PS4 and PC Q&A/feature implementation but that sort of comes with the territory. They’ll get cash from PS4 game sales anyway.

Personally though, I’d rather see some type of action MMO on a console, it just fits it better. 3rd person “raid” type MMOs would just feel constricted. For example I cant play GW2 without live WvW in a browser on the second monitor, TS and Vent at the same time. But I wouldnt be adverse to say… an Elite style MMO. Space combat fits a controller perfectly.

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

the last thing we need is the horrible toxicity of console players in the PC community. mark my words, they will be ESO’s downfall. it would be a downfall for diablo3 if blizzard hadn’t already killed it with RMAH, always-online and no pvp.

the only modern PC game i wouldnt mind seeing go console is LoL, and only because that community is already founded on hate and resentment and has nothing to lose.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

While I have little doubt we’ll never see a PS4 version of GW2, I dont see the logic of your reasoning. An MMO is always online. You cant play without updating. Why would frequent updates be an issue on PS4? It would just start the launcher in full screen mode, change the controls to PS4 controller and voila – PS4 version of GW2. The actual console architecture is a HTPC otherwise, they shouldnt have to do much else with the game itself. Of course they may need a bigger team to have a PS4 and PC Q&A/feature implementation but that sort of comes with the territory. They’ll get cash from PS4 game sales anyway.

Personally though, I’d rather see some type of action MMO on a console, it just fits it better. 3rd person “raid” type MMOs would just feel constricted. For example I cant play GW2 without live WvW in a browser on the second monitor, TS and Vent at the same time. But I wouldnt be adverse to say… an Elite style MMO. Space combat fits a controller perfectly.

A while back I remember reading about this, the main issue is Sony and Microsoft require “patches” to go through them. Anet would have to create a patch and submit it to the console manufacturer, who would them have to approve it before loading it on their servers to be distributed. There are many online games that are not going to to jump through hoops to patch their own game.

I find this quote funny
““PS4 architecture lends itself well to MMOs, because we know we can use the stable platform – where we know everyone has the same hardware. That stable base is probably the biggest advantage that PS4 offers.””

GW2 is played on a wide range of PCs, so to take advantage of this “benefit” they would have to stop allowing PC based players to access the game. Not going to happen.

BTW, the PS4 really sucks. I have 1 of the launch versions. No 3D blueRay movie support, cannot play MP3s, my own movies, no DLNA support at all. It actually does FAR less then a PS3 does.

(edited by ShiningSquirrel.3751)

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

If I was ANet I wouldn’t like the idea of Sony making money on my back, you know … the psn+ membership REQUIRED for online play. Which atm crashes more often than it’s on

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

Even for this forum it is surprising to see people request a console port. You can’t build for both platforms. Either you dumb-down your game for an inferior machine which alienates your current fan-base on PC, or you build your game for a platform that offers more flexibility and complexity.

…Sorry, I’m still crying over X:R’s abysmal launch.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

There’s a lot of costs to make it playable in a PS4, and the game wasn’t designed to be played on a gamepad.

Posted by: Berformet.2981

Berformet.2981

personally i wouldnt be able play it on console for the obvious restriction of losing a LOT of command input. i played ff14arr on both ps3 and pc and personally the ps3 version was too confusing to play compared to the pc version simply because if i hit the wrong shoulder button at any point it’d screw up my command selection and i’d have to spend 5 seconds trying to get it back to where i was while tanking an enemy.

/) /)
(^.^)b Cmdr Whíte Rabbit, The Bunny Mesmer
d(“)(”) Alias: Thalia Cereus, Cisna Brightwell, Toxic Bunny

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Got to agree that the amount of patching ANet does would prove problematic on consoles. Just take a look at the release notes, pretty much any release has bug fixes in the next day or two.

And honestly, the last thing you want is to unleash the console vs PC war on any game.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I find it funny that they’re talking about the PS4 having stable architecture where everyone has the same hardware as if it’s a new innovation they’ve just come up with. That’s been the case for almost every console ever made.

I agree it can be an upside, especially for players because (unlike PC games) you don’t need to know any of the specs when buying games – you know all Xbox 360 games will work on all 360’s, all PS3 games will work on all PS3’s etc. But it’s not new and seems like an odd things to point out. A bit like promoting the fact that it plugs into the TV so you don’t need to buy a screen and can play in the living room.

Personally I’m very skeptical about how an MMO would work with a controller. I know some people do use them for GW2 but they still need to use the keyboard and mouse for various things. You’d have to do a lot of work to change the interface to make it work properly.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

You guys do realize, ps4 has usb connections right?

In other word, it is designed to be compatible via usb with mouse, keyboard, etc..

(Remember, final fantasy 11 was released in ps2 with usb mouse and keyboard connectivity)

So rest assure, guild wars 2 would not have any problem with concerns to mouse and keyboard connectivity and compatibility.

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The game engine would need to be completely rewritten to work on the PS4 simply because the CPU in the PS4 is roughly 1/2 the power of a FX-8350. They would have to come up with a more balanced approach to multithreading the engine since right now the game uses only 3 cores worth of CPU power, regardless how many cores you have.

Now will MMOs come to the next gen consoles. Of course, already happened with DCUO not to mention FF whatever. But in the case of DCUO, the game engine they use is UE3 so it was up to Epic to recode it for the PS4 and not SOE, although I expect they provided a lot of support.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Clockwork Bard.3105

Clockwork Bard.3105

While I have little doubt we’ll never see a PS4 version of GW2, I dont see the logic of your reasoning. An MMO is always online. You cant play without updating. Why would frequent updates be an issue on PS4?

It’s not so much a matter of hardware as pure ugly bureaucracy. The update problem is that console manufacturers exercise an iron grip on anything that passes through their services. Everything must go through stringent code review, leading to sizable delays and costs to the developer/publisher for every update. That’s why console versions generally get fewer and much later updates than PC versions. ArenaNet often responds to major bugs in hours, not weeks, which just would not be possible with the degree of bureaucracy bogging down those architectures. While Sony undoubtedly alleviates much of that red tape for their own suite of MMOs, I doubt they’d do the same for ArenaNet.

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

GW2 with a PS4 controller ?

i already lol at the LFG tool :

LFM AC P1 & P3 No rangers , No PS4

Berformet.2981

im aware of this but with ff14arr you have an option for mouse/kb but only for chat and menus, combat and gameplay is limited to the controller iirc

Why does every1 hate rangers?? we’re not all bearbow. lol.

/) /)

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

im aware of this but with ff14arr you have an option for mouse/kb but only for chat and menus, combat and gameplay is limited to the controller iirc

I dont hate Rangers .. i have one myself with the legendary Rodgort .. i typed this because it’s a classic

Berformet.2981

funniest ive seen is a guild recruitment shout for wvw/dungeons/fractals. they listed recruitment for every class and at the end they put ‘no rangers, we’ll probably never ask for rangers’ :/ we’re more useful than you think >.<

/) /)

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Guild Wars 2… for Ps4? haha.

No offense, but console users have become more accustomed to receiving a constant flow of adventure, action, and difficulty. I consider myself a console user, and I would not play GW2 on a console for just those reasons. Guild Wars 2 does not offer the “entertainment high” that I look forward to when I hop on my console to play a game. The only MMORPG I might consider playing on a console is WoW because there’s so much to do. No other MMORPG would be worth putting on a console.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

In other word, it is designed to be compatible via usb with mouse, keyboard, etc..

(Remember, final fantasy 11 was released in ps2 with usb mouse and keyboard connectivity)

So rest assure, guild wars 2 would not have any problem with concerns to mouse and keyboard connectivity and compatibility.

Yeah but people don’t buy consoles to play games with a mouse and keyboard.

There’s no way anet would ever release on PS4 (at all, ever) and then kind of as a foot note mention that you need to also buy a new keyboard and mouse to play the game on your ps4, too. Console players would never go for that.

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

I would go for console support, but only and exclusively if the resources (including manpower) were not taken out of the current game dev teams, and only if the console servers were completely seperate from PC version servers.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I don’t see GW2 coming out for PS4. If GW2 ever made it onto Steam, however, it could make it onto the future Steam console.

Posted by: Clockwork Bard.3105

Clockwork Bard.3105

I don’t see GW2 coming out for PS4. If GW2 ever made it onto Steam, however, it could make it onto the future Steam console.

I’m all for that. Simply because that would mandate a Linux port. A Linux port would be shweet.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve always considered myself both a console and PC gamer, I use both, I like both, but I don’t think I’d want to play an MMO on a console.

I dont hate Rangers .. i have one myself with the legendary Rodgort .. i typed this because it’s a classic

Slightly off-topic but I main a ranger and I’ve never had trouble getting groups for anything, including dungeons. Admittedly I normally start my own groups. I imagine the combination of the little paw print symbol and ‘casual run, first timers welcome’ scares away the elitists.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

PuGs that can’t even type to tell you they are new to the dungeon.

Yay?