Anti Casual

Anti Casual

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Halanna.3927

Halanna.3927

There is a problem when you can gear up in WoW 50x faster than you can get full exotics in GW2.

That can’t be a serious post. I think you mean that the other way around.

The grind in WoW is so massive, so repetitive and so boring that you don’t even want to gear up.

I have full exotic armor on my ranger and I didn’t even try. It’s not what I consider my “complete” set as I’m still looking for different pieces, but really, that statement is simply ridiculous.

Anti Casual

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

If you are casual, why do you need top tier armor/weapons anyways? Won’t 30 silver rares do just as fine when doing “casual” things?

That’s like me complaining how high-end gaming computers cost too much, when I only want to play facebook apps on it.

Anti Casual

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

‘’Eiposu no Tenshi.5079’’

‘’If it’s taking you ~7hrs to complete a daily, it’s clearly a lack of time management on your part. The “average casual player” thread which I’ve seen posted every now and then will raise the issue that they have no other small achievements or goals to work towards after completing their daily in ~30mins of gameplay.’’
’’

Mmmk so “My time management” when i play gw2 :

1-login
2-Go to Eb
3-look for good fights
4-fight ( step 3 )
5-logout

What is wrong?

nothing is wrong.

I think what they should do is make a list of 12 dailys and players only have to do maybe 4 of it.

for example:

1) kill 10 players
2) capture 3 structures
3) dodge 10 attacks
4) revive 5 times
5) visit 5 enemy camps
6) kill 10 types of monster
7) aquatic killer
8) gather 20 items
9) craft 10 items
10) do 5 event
11) construct 3 siege item
12) do 1 dungeon or fractal

something like that would work. or better yet. allow us to complete the same daily multiple times. for example if the daily says complete 5 event, and I can just do that particular daily 4 times, ie 20 events. I’ve done my daily

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Anti Casual

Posted by: Spencer.1386

Spencer.1386

I don’t like the current implemation of the daily achievment and laurels. Guild Wars 2 was a game that I didn’t feel like I had to log into every day. I could play when I wanted for as little or as long as I wanted. Now I feel required to log in every day to finish the daily achievment. Every day that I miss the achievment I miss out on a laurel which puts me one day farther from top stat gear. I often only have a limited amount of time in the day to play video games and it’s upsetting that in this “grindless game” I find myself grinding a daily every single day in order to keep up with gear in this game where “you dont have to grind for gear”. If Arena.net wants to implement currency like laurels they should learn from Blizzards implementation of the model. Blizzard gives you the entire week to grind your 7 days worth of dungeon points. You can do it all in one day or spread it out as you see fit. I just don’t want to be forced to log in every day to grind for top stat gear in my grindless mmo where you don’t have to grind for gear.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Anti Casual

Posted by: Halanna.3927

Halanna.3927

Guild Wars 2 was a game that I didn’t feel like I had to log into every day. I could play when I wanted for as little or as long as I wanted. Now I feel required to log in every day to finish the daily achievment. Every day that I miss the achievment I miss out on a laurel which puts me one day farther from top stat gear. I often only have a limited amount of time in the day to play video games and it’s upsetting that in this “grindless game” I find myself grinding a daily every single day in order to keep up with gear in this game where “you dont have to grind for gear”. If Arena.net wants to implement currency like laurels they should learn from Blizzards implementation of the model. Blizzard gives you the entire week to grind your 7 days worth of dungeon points. You can do it all in one day or spread it out as you see fit. I just don’t want to be forced to log in every day to grind for top stat gear in my grindless mmo where you don’t have to grind for gear.

If you don’t feel like logging in, don’t, and yes you won’t get your laurel, but it’s not like items cost 500 laurels or anything.

And no, the last thing Anet needs to do is learn or copy anything from Blizzard or WoW. Seriously. They need to stay as far away from that grindfest of a game as possible.

Let’s let Anet and their Dev’s do their own thing.

Anti Casual

Posted by: Nalora.7964

Nalora.7964

I was being sarcastic. I have been told so many times in these forums that I must be doing something wrong, or that I am not playing the game right.

I did fine for 7+ years in Guild Wars 1. My HOM is 42/50. (I only stopped working on it because as a history buff and avid reader in RL I liked my title of “I have many leather bound books”.)

But apparently I do not play Guild Wars 2 right, and should quit. It is a pretty standard answer (said in many ways, and with many words, but in essence the same) on these forums to everything that ails you.

I kind of hoped you were being sarcastic, given your signature… but after being on these forums for so long, I’m not sure.

I’ve long grown tired of so-called “white knights” that are quick to jump at any chance to defend EVERY choice that ArenaNet has ever made.

ArenaNet has admitted they’ve made mistakes (and taken action to fix them).

I’d really just like a chance for the forums to be a reasonable place to discuss things without everyone being hand-wavey and saying “Only ArenaNet knows the real data.”

Yes, I figured you probably realized I was in a foul mood today, and feeling sarcastic.

I am not an Arenanet White Knight. I will defend them if I agree with them, but I will also criticize things that I deem of questionable value. Although in these forums it is apparent that critique is frowned upon and we must all bow to the great and wonderful powers that be that know oh so much more than we do.

Many things bother me, and I would speak out about them, but it is quite obvious to anyone that communication with the player base is not Arenanet’s strong suit. In fact I think it is not even a suit in their deck.

In any case, it has become quite apparent to me that Guild Wars 2, despite all the hoopla, is, indeed the most “grindy” game I have ever played and I have played many.

It is sad, actually to those of us who enjoy so much the art and the grandness of it all, and I try every day to keep an open mind….it has only been 5 months….it is just the beginning….but I do not hear that from them…only me. The voices in my head telling me to be patient, and they are all the more loud because Arenanet is so quiet——often silent.

And for those of us who have a comparison…can compare where we were in other games to where we are in Guild Wars 2 compared to the all-day-all-the-time grinders, farmers and others, There is a stark contrast that does not need data provided to the silent developer overlord to prove our points.

When I look at my friend’s list and see it as empty as my friends list in the last dying days of City of Heroes….then something is horribly wrong. And the silence from the developers and the platitudinous mockery of the forum-goers does nothing to appease my fear that the game I waited for 5 long years (since I got my mini-asuran in the May 2007 issue of PC Gamer and the hints of Guild Wars 2 in that issue) is not going to last long if something does not change to make it more friendly to the “casual” player.

Casual is not how many hours a day you play…it is how you play. You play to have fun, to explore, but more and more I feel forced to grind at something just so I can get into other areas to have a good look at them.

I can remember one time feeling this way in Guild Wars 1. When I first stepped out the wrong door at Beacon’s Perch, and found myself in Lornar’s Pass in less than max armor, instead of Deldrimor Bowl. Of course later I would clear this area in Hard Mode to vanquish it, fight people to Droknar’s because it was more fun than running it….

I just want to have fun for a long time in Guild Wars 2, I guess, and more and more it looks like the party is over.

DEMAND Bunny Slippers and a bathrobe!

Anti Casual

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The only thing that’s even remotely anti-casual is laurels. While laurels are intended to be a reward for showing up and playing daily, it’s always going to feel like a penalty to those who can’t play that often.

Everything else about the game is mega-casual.

Laurels are actually anti-hardcore.

Because no matter how much you play the game, you can only get so many laurels.

Play for 1 hour a day or 10 hours a day, same reward.

If they are anti-hardcore, and anti-casual, then who they benefit exactly?
And no, if you are playing 1 hour a day, you will get less, unless you will be only doing dailies. If you decide to play something specific, you might just run out of time for dailies.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Anti Casual

Posted by: Valion.4638

Valion.4638

I’m a casual player. I have noticed that this game is evolving in a way that is making it harder for casuals to complete content. Too bad. Why is that?

I play casually. its awesome. the more content the better. you can do whatever you want. so you dont have to wait to do something you want to do untill you finish everything else. you wanna do something do it now. I dont understand what your having an issue with.

Anti Casual

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

If people think GW2 is the grindiest MMO of all time, they seriously need to play FFXI for 1 year, and then Aion for 1 year.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Anti Casual

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

If people think GW2 is the grindiest MMO of all time, they seriously need to play FFXI for 1 year, and then Aion for 1 year.

It is nowhere close to being the grindiest, it’s just that it was marketed as having no grind at all, which some people find quite upsetting.

Anti Casual

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

@OP
You must be a Super Casual.

Because this game isn’t for Hardcore players, it’s definitely catered towards the average casual player.

Anti Casual

Astralporing.1957

@OP

Because this game isn’t for Hardcore players, it’s definitely catered towards the average casual player.

The ascended gear was never aimed at casuals. Since it’s introduction the game’s dev-intended gameplay has been shifting more and more towards top tier gear acquisition. As an effect, it’s direction is shifting slowly away from casuals towards the grinders.

Actions, not words.

Anti Casual

laokoko.7403

@OP

The ascended gear was never aimed at casuals. Since it’s introduction the game’s dev-intended gameplay has been shifting more and more towards top tier gear acquisition. As an effect, it’s direction is shifting slowly away from casuals towards the grinders.

Like I said before, you must be super casual if you can’t do your daily. “very super casual”.

yes it takes time. 1 month per. But you just need to spend a little time a day logging on and do your daily.

Anti Casual

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

But people STILL don’t have to log in and do the daily, because the content isn’t gated by having ascended gear. The only thing you need ascended gear for is the fractals, and if you’re going up to the higher levels of the fractals, you’re probably not casual.

The fractals were designed for hard core competitive players, to give them something to bang their heads against. A casual player can start at level 1 and see everything without a single piece of ascended gear. I can.

I’ve done every dungeon in the game, in explorable mode as well, without ascended gear. I WvW, successfully, without ascended gear. And it doesn’t affect SPvP at all.

If you’re a casual player you have no need for ascended gear and frankly, you don’t really even need exotic gear.

That said, exotic gear isn’t that hard to get.

Anti Casual

laokoko.7403

But people STILL don’t have to log in and do the daily, because the content isn’t gated by having ascended gear. The only thing you need ascended gear for is the fractals, and if you’re going up to the higher levels of the fractals, you’re probably not casual.

The fractals were designed for hard core competitive players, to give them something to bang their heads against. A casual player can start at level 1 and see everything without a single piece of ascended gear. I can.

I’ve done every dungeon in the game, in explorable mode as well, without ascended gear. I WvW, successfully, without ascended gear. And it doesn’t affect SPvP at all.

If you’re a casual player you have no need for ascended gear and frankly, you don’t really even need exotic gear.

That said, exotic gear isn’t that hard to get.

It’s not that they need it. It’s that they think they should have the best gear in the game eventhough they are casual, or don’t play as much. Or they don’t want to enter wvw and thinking the other guy have a slight advantage over them.

And fractal dont’ have to require ascended gear. Anet could just design it as require exotic gear sloted with agony resist. Ascended gear have better stats. That’s why other casual players are complaining.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Anti Casual

Astralporing.1957

@OP

Like I said before, you must be super casual if you can’t do your daily. “very super casual”.

yes it takes time. 1 month per. But you just need to spend a little time a day logging on and do your daily.

Lot of casuals i know (the “average” kind) play like 6-8 hours per week. Most of that time they spend on weekends. Even people that play 3+ hours/day on average (which is definitely not casual anymore) can have days (or whole weeks) where they don’t play at all. That makes it a little hard for them to do dailies – especially if they also want to do anything else in this game.

Additionally, casuals just play for fun. They don’t follow little checkboxes. Just logging every day, and doing all dailies is not exactly very casual gameplay.
What? you didn’t do aquatic and crafting, because you were just doing hearts for 2 hours? Too bad! you fail! You are too casual for this game!
…isn’t that exactly the point OP was talking about?

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Anti Casual

laokoko.7403

@OP

Lot of casuals i know (the “average” kind) play like 6-8 hours per week. Most of that time they spend on weekends. Even people that play 3+ hours/day on average (which is definitely not casual anymore) can have days (or whole weeks) where they don’t play at all.

Additionally, casuals just play for fun. They don’t follow little checkboxes. Just logging every day, and doing all dailies is not exactly very casual gameplay.
What? you didn’t do aquatic and crafting, because you were just doing hearts for 2 hours? Too bad! you fail! You are too casual for this game!

That’s what don’t make sense. If you are indeed casual and just play for fun, you won’t care about those so slightly stats difference.

And if you care so much, you don’t bother to spend 10 second crafting copper bar or 3 minutes killing aquatic monsters?

You are not casual. You just want things easy. Which is nothing wrong with that. As a player/customer you have the right to complain.

Anti Casual

Posted by: Arheundel.6451

Arheundel.6451

@OP

Lot of casuals i know (the “average” kind) play like 6-8 hours per week. Most of that time they spend on weekends. Even people that play 3+ hours/day on average (which is definitely not casual anymore) can have days (or whole weeks) where they don’t play at all. That makes it a little hard for them to do dailies – especially if they also want to do anything else in this game.

I understand your point of view..but in this case maybe a simple RPG would be better solution, a MMO is an evolving world you can’t expect it to slow down because you can’t keep up.

If you just want to max your character with the best gear, you really don’t need to do nothing else but play the game, you can get a full exotic armor set by running 7-8 times the same dungeon and another 7-8 times to get a full set of exotic weapons, finally by simply playing the game you can get exotic trinkets by paying with all the accumulated karma up to that point.

Really by simply playing 6-8 hrs per week you can be full geared within 3-4 months..not bad for a “non-casual friendly” game; legendary weapons and titles are purely cosmetic and ascended gear only add a couple of pts to your stats frome exotic gear..if you lose to somebody it won’t due to that couple of pts for sure, so yeah GW2 is extremely casual friendly.

Finally I have to say that if you want you can complete a daily in a couple of hours or less…not hard at all : ress 10 people, kill 50 foes, collect some ingredient and complete 5 events.. it or similar stuff,what so hard about it?

Anti Casual

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

@OP

I understand your point of view..but in this case maybe a simple RPG would be better solution, a MMO is an evolving world you can’t expect it to slow down because you can’t keep up.

If you just want to max your character with the best gear, you really don’t need to do nothing else but play the game, you can get a full exotic armor set by running 7-8 times the same dungeon and another 7-8 times to get a full set of exotic weapons, finally by simply playing the game you can get exotic trinkets by paying with all the accumulated karma up to that point.

Really by simply playing 6-8 hrs per week you can be full geared within 3-4 months..not bad for a “non-casual friendly” game; legendary weapons and titles are purely cosmetic and ascended gear only add a couple of pts to your stats frome exotic gear..if you lose to somebody it won’t due to that couple of pts for sure, so yeah GW2 is extremely casual friendly.

Finally I have to say that if you want you can complete a daily in a couple of hours or less…not hard at all : ress 10 people, kill 50 foes, collect some ingredient and complete 5 events.. it or similar stuff,what so hard about it?

You make a good point but i have a feeling ppl who still find it too hard to get items are more facing there own personnel. They must have every thing and they must have it now with little to no work and its just sad. All of this is not changing there minds they are just saying the same things over and over with no back up to proved there facts. Its not the players who enjoy the games jobs to enplane to thoughts who hate the game (at all cost) why the game is good over and over.

Simply put there is NO way to changes there minds and they only come to these forms to find like minded ppl who come to these forms to find like minded ppl etc…. I must say i am not playing FW2 (form wars 2) i am playing GW2 if they truly wish to play a game let them if all they want to do is come here and have no true Discussion on the Discussion forms and just simply talk AT ppl then let them. There is no point in talking to them and are best left on there own to talk to them self.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Anti Casual

Posted by: Nalora.7964

Nalora.7964

Please note that although you did not address this specifically to me, I no where in my post said “grindiest MMO of all time”, I said it was the grindiest game I had ever played.

DEMAND Bunny Slippers and a bathrobe!

Anti Casual

Posted by: Ooshi.8607

Ooshi.8607

maybe they should change daily to weekly and reward 7 laurel for it. Some people can’t play 30 minutes a day every day. But they may be able to play acouple hours a week.

What about all those people that can only play every other week? Shouldn’t they be given the same opportunities? And what about people that have to travel a lot and can only play every 2 months? Shouldn’t they be able to get same laurels as well? After all this is supposed to be a casual game? I’m pretty sure there’s a guy out there that can only play on the 29th of February between 6pm and 7pm, shouldn’t he have the opportunity to get the best gear as well?
You people are like unbelievable!

Anti Casual

Posted by: AstralDusk.1670

AstralDusk.1670

maybe they should change daily to weekly and reward 7 laurel for it. Some people can’t play 30 minutes a day every day. But they may be able to play acouple hours a week.

What about all those people that can only play every other week? Shouldn’t they be given the same opportunities? And what about people that have to travel a lot and can only play every 2 months? Shouldn’t they be able to get same laurels as well? After all this is supposed to be a casual game? I’m pretty sure there’s a guy out there that can only play on the 29th of February between 6pm and 7pm, shouldn’t he have the opportunity to get the best gear as well?
You people are like unbelievable!

Again, this just highlights the idiocy of time-gated currency at all. The only reason these get added to games is to get people hooked on logging in as frequently as possible. It’s not for fun, not for challenge, not to appeal to this or that type of gamer. It’s meant to get under your skin and keep you playing.

And I think that’s something that we as players should always be opposed to. I don’t care how casual or hardcore someone is, whether they play 10 hours a day or 10 hours a year— this sort of content does all of them a disservice.

(edited by AstralDusk.1670)

Anti Casual

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Casuals don’t need ascended, I’m spending my laurels on dyes.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Anti Casual

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

You people all missed the main point of his post, he said the game is evolving into a non casual game, means “slowly changing”..

And i agree with him

Some examples?

Fotm, everything about this thing is non Casual..

Ascended items direction, cannot get them as easily as exotics (as you claim are so easy) but ascended take months no matter what either hardcore grind or time sink to get.

Dungeons not PUG friendly, cannot just pick up a group and play anymore.

Guild Events coming not sure if this is casual or not yet..can small casual guilds even compete?

Dailies taking much much longer (effecting player with real lives e.g Casuals)

Anti Casual

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

MMOs always end up changing to what the hardcore wants. Every single time.

Anti Casual

Geotherma.2395

Please note that although you did not address this specifically to me, I no where in my post said “grindiest MMO of all time”, I said it was the grindiest game I had ever played.

I think that’s what makes the post so “relative”. In order to remove bias, and attain the most accurate rating of a game, people really need to experience a wide spectrum of MMO’s. GW2 isn’t perfect, nor is any other MMO, but it takes much of what every MMO in the past has done wrong and made it better. My personal experience is that this is a very friendly, casual type game compared to about 10 of the top rated MMO’s out there. But to each their own, just remember various aspects of MMO’s that you experience are only relative to your overall experience. But not necessarily an accurate portrayal of the true aspects of the game.

Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF

Anti Casual

Geotherma.2395

MMOs always end up changing to what the hardcore wants. Every single time.

But Guild Wars 2 isn’t like any other MMO, be optimistic :P

Anti Casual

Dante.1508

You do realize people stayed clear of those two MMO’s for a reason, people said they were insanely grindy, so i for one ignored them..

Guildwars 2 actively said “no grind” and people took their word for it, true or not there’s a big difference in that alone..

leveling does feel grindy at times, and resources in this game feel downright “Asian Grindy” to me, and i played Rohan, Perfect World, Runes of Magic, RF Online etc, to me they felt less grindy and had a better loot system than GW2..

Anti Casual

Geotherma.2395

You do realize people stayed clear of those two MMO’s for a reason, people said they were insanely grindy, so i for one ignored them..

Guildwars 2 actively said “no grind” and people took their word for it, true or not there’s a big difference in that alone..

leveling does feel grindy at times, and resources in this game feel downright “Asian Grindy” to me, and i played Rohan, Perfect World, Runes of Magic, RF Online etc, to me they felt less grindy and had a better loot system than GW2..

I just don’t see the grind in a game where you can hit 80 in 1 day to 1 week. And thats just playing the game. Maybe 2-3 weeks for more casual people. But the fact that all exotics share the same stats means that 80 can also be very well geared quickly. Aion wasn’t grindy to me either, not as grindy as FFXI. But GW2 is definitely less grindy than FFXI, Aion, WoW, Tera. I personally find GW2 much more rewarding loot wise than any of those games as well. I can spend 12 minutes online and have enough gold to buy almost a full armor set of rare gear. Maybe I’m just in my own little bubble, but I started in FFXI, so anything after that when people say the word grind I just laugh.. This is a very casual game, my son played for 2 days-about 1 hour a day or two. He had leveled to 7, gathered about 12 materials, and made around 6 silver just from drops. He’s 6 years old.

And people didn’t stay clear of those games, they came in hoardes. More so Aion because FFXI is pretty darn old now. But it still has a huge player base, despite its many flaws.

Anti Casual

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

I’ve played for about a month on launch, highest I got was 26 elementalist. I am a casual, ignore the other idiots claiming to be casual but having an 80 and maxed professions. You can’t a casual, you are semi hardcore.\

I am truely a casual, it took me a week to figure out the classes. When I did find a class I liked it took me another week and a half to figure out how to even play it without dying constantly. Now I’m re-entering the game again. I have no idea any of the terms people are throwing around. I don’t have a guild and honestly haven’t been given much reasons to even join one. The grouping in this game sucks, worst I’ve ever seen in an MMO. Sure people do events but nobody groups for things. Nobody really helps but a few who get drowned out by the sea of trolls.

I have yet to set foot in a dungeon and honestly don’t think I will because of the horror stories I’ve heard about them. I’m not really looking forward to 80, it seems like a massive massive grind to get anything. I’ve tried pvp but it’s a bigger grind there, and I’m really bad at pvp. I’ve tried WvW but I have no idea about the terms being thrown around. It just confuses me.

I don’t really have any friends who play the game. I usually just play one class till I get aggravated by something and move onto another.

Oh and I’m on the “friendliest server” in the game and it’s still not friendly. This is by far the most anti social game ever made.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Anti Casual

Dante.1508

I personally find GW2 much more rewarding loot wise than any of those games as well. I can spend 12 minutes online and have enough gold to buy almost a full armor set of rare gear. Maybe I’m just in my own little bubble

Care to share this amazing 12minute secret, of getting 3gold every 12mins sounds amazing, as each rare now is about 45plus silver times six for a set…

I think you are in some lucky bubble..

And no the loot is far inferior to most other mmo’s i’ve ever played, even the bad ones, the game aesthetically is great, sadly many game mechanics bring it down..

Anti Casual

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

No changes that I’ve seen are anti casual (or antianything for that matter).

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

Anti Casual

Posted by: lcpdragonslayer.7895

lcpdragonslayer.7895

I don’t understand how people can claim to be a ‘casual’ player if you play an hour or two a day. If I played 2 hours every day I could finish all 3 paths of AC and do the daily achievement everyday – how is that casual? There are actual casual players who only have time for the game on weekends, or just log in for 30 minutes~1 hour every other day to do a daily achievement. That’s casual.

But that’s besides the point. I agree that a lot of the content is designed for more ‘hardcore’ players who are willing and have the time to farm Orr or grind towards full dungeon sets, FotM gears, a legendary and so on. It gets boring fairly quickly if you can only play on the weekends for example and all you have to do is the daily.

I think you just need to have long-term goals set in place and work towards that in your own pace, like getting crafting levels to 400 over the course of a couple months. You’re never going to be as decked out as a player who can devote more time to the game if you don’t have the time to run dungeons or whatever (but you can always craft your end-game gears), but the game is also about spending time with your mates, exploring the map, jumping into DEs you come across and the occasional farm for gold or crafting materials. Those are things you can do in your own time.

@heartless.6803 – If you’re in an NA server I can take you on your very first dungeon run Promise it won’t be a total disaster. They can be really fun if you’re with the right crowd. You should give everything a go at least and if you find you don’t like it, at least you’ve tried it and know what it’s like.

Anti Casual

Geotherma.2395

I personally find GW2 much more rewarding loot wise than any of those games as well. I can spend 12 minutes online and have enough gold to buy almost a full armor set of rare gear. Maybe I’m just in my own little bubble

Care to share this amazing 12minute secret, of getting 3gold every 12mins sounds amazing, as each rare now is about 45plus silver times six for a set…

I think you are in some lucky bubble..

And no the loot is far inferior to most other mmo’s i’ve ever played, even the bad ones, the game aesthetically is great, sadly many game mechanics bring it down..

All my grinds are listed in the perceived loot forum thread. Video in HD and pics.

I do not sell rares, I salvage them and get 1-3 ectos which is about 38s or at most around 1g+.

Anti Casual

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Yes, I figured you probably realized I was in a foul mood today, and feeling sarcastic.

… snip …

I just want to have fun for a long time in Guild Wars 2, I guess, and more and more it looks like the party is over.

Nalora: I am seeing most of the same things that you are, but I am reacting to them differently. I don’t experience any grind in GW2. Any time I am faced with doing something I really don’t want to do, I just don’t do it. If I decide to do something because I want the outcome/reward then I do it, realizing I chose to do it.

I also don’t stress about not getting something. If I want something, but don’t want to do what it takes to get it, I decide not to go for it. If I want something and getting it faster means doing stuff I prefer not to do, I just take longer. I don’t have to have it now.

There are things about the game I do not like. I ask for change if I think it’s warranted, but I have no thought that it has to happen. If it means I avoid that part of the game, well there are a lot of things in the game I DO like to do, so no big deal.

When I decided to buy GW2, I chose not to look at it as an MMO, with the expectations that I have seen expressed about MMO’s here, there and everywhere on the internet. Instead, I looked at it as a game. I was paying $60 US for a game that I have to this point played for > 1200 hours. To me, this has been a good value, since I have paid as much for other games and played for much less time.

This is not meant to criticize your way of looking at GW2, but to suggest a different way of looking at the game that might promote your having more fun. You can say no to grind and still play and enjoy GW2. Whether you want to do that or not, good luck going forward, no matter what your choice of entertainment is.

Anti Casual

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

@OP

Exactly and if it were solely to give agony resistance it wouldn’t have higher stats on it.

Also everything they’ve added post launch to the game has used nothing but the mystic toilet moving away from the crafting disciplines.

And if they don’t retro it’s going to take 13-16 months to completely gear in ascended from laurels, it takes less time in WoW using that formula. And before someone tells me they plan on adding retro laurels, they also planned on adding DE meta’s instead they put in another dungeon and severely nerfed the loot from the metas they already have. :/

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Anti Casual

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

Casual imo is a couple hours on the weekend (by that definition I am not anywhere near casual). If that is your level of casual then even so after 13 weekends of running each path of AC once you should probably have full exotics with two weapon for swap and enough gold to buy all exotic rings amulet trinkets. Just stay casual whatever that is and take your time.

Anti Casual

Posted by: lothefallen.7081

lothefallen.7081

This game is extremely casual in almost every way.

No defined combat roles and simplified combat.

Easy to play and get into.

You level very easily.

There’s no need to really ever play with anyone else.

Reward systems that basically reward you for being online.

Mob / content difficulty is laughable.

Customization / aesthetic is largely optional and doesn’t matter too much to combat or group situations.

Sure there is content that caters to other player groups besides casuals, but at the core, this game is very shallow, easy, requires almost no real group coordination, and rewards you for pretty much everything. It’s the pinnacle of a casual MMO, almost to its’ own detriment, so i don’t understand this topic.

The Ardent Aegis
http://aa-guild.shivtr.com/

Anti Casual

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

I am amazed that by playing a few hours a day you managed to get to level 80 in a week. You must be a very skilled player.

I consider a “few” hours to be 2-4 hours. I can only manage 5 levels in 4-5 hours via personal story and completing an area map.

Anti Casual

Posted by: lisamee.2408

lisamee.2408

I think GW2 is more for hard core players, since the dungeons are very difficult, and pve game play is the least rewarding after level 80. But the leveling system is very fun for the casual player. And crafting was not developed to be meaningful, profitable, fun or relaxing type game play for casual play. There is only one good item in the game after 80, (the legendary) which as a casual player the steps required would not be fun to do.

(edited by lisamee.2408)

Anti Casual

Posted by: Ageia.5843

Ageia.5843

Original Poster, I understand your frustrations. That said, I am a casual player too and don’t find myself at a disadvantage from the hardcore players. No, I don’t have as much time playing, but I have the same opportunities and other than dungeons, you can do pretty much anything any other player can do. If you get a good casual guild, I’ll bet you can even do dungeons sometimes too.

Anti Casual

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

I am amazed that by playing a few hours a day you managed to get to level 80 in a week. You must be a very skilled player.

I consider a “few” hours to be 2-4 hours. I can only manage 5 levels in 4-5 hours via personal story and completing an area map.

Ditto.

I play a few hours a day and it took me over a month to get one toon to Lvl80 – no PvP, WvW or dungeons just plain PvE. I just don’t understand the thought process here.

“Rush” to Lvl80 and then steam roll all the lower level content when over leveled for it?
(and complain that the game is to ‘easy’)
“Farm” game elements for gold/Exotic gear and then complain the game is to ‘easy’ or ‘grindy’.

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

Anti Casual

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

I’ve played for about a month on launch, highest I got was 26 elementalist. I am a casual, ignore the other idiots claiming to be casual but having an 80 and maxed professions. You can’t a casual, you are semi hardcore.\

I am truely a casual, it took me a week to figure out the classes. When I did find a class I liked it took me another week and a half to figure out how to even play it without dying constantly. Now I’m re-entering the game again. I have no idea any of the terms people are throwing around. I don’t have a guild and honestly haven’t been given much reasons to even join one. The grouping in this game sucks, worst I’ve ever seen in an MMO. Sure people do events but nobody groups for things. Nobody really helps but a few who get drowned out by the sea of trolls.

I have yet to set foot in a dungeon and honestly don’t think I will because of the horror stories I’ve heard about them. I’m not really looking forward to 80, it seems like a massive massive grind to get anything. I’ve tried pvp but it’s a bigger grind there, and I’m really bad at pvp. I’ve tried WvW but I have no idea about the terms being thrown around. It just confuses me.

I don’t really have any friends who play the game. I usually just play one class till I get aggravated by something and move onto another.

Oh and I’m on the “friendliest server” in the game and it’s still not friendly. This is by far the most anti social game ever made.

Actually, a guild will really help with the problems you’re having. You say the game is confusing and you aren’t finding friendly people to play with. A guild is supposed to provide a group of people you can ask questions of and group with to play content, or just chat with while soloing. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/OPERATION-UNION-Bringing-Players-Together/page/31#post1434801 is a cross-server guild of players specifically dedicated to helping new players, answering questions, etc. There might be a good match on your server also, try checking in the guild forums.

Anti Casual

Geotherma.2395

Ditto.

I play a few hours a day and it took me over a month to get one toon to Lvl80 – no PvP, WvW or dungeons just plain PvE. I just don’t understand the thought process here.

“Rush” to Lvl80 and then steam roll all the lower level content when over leveled for it?
(and complain that the game is to ‘easy’)
“Farm” game elements for gold/Exotic gear and then complain the game is to ‘easy’ or ‘grindy’.

I really hate the rush to 80. I didn’t want to level fast, I wanted to explore the game. But the keyword there “explore” is probably what leveled me the most lol.. I wanted to try dungeons when I hit the appropriate level, but most people wanted only 80’s.. Which seemed a bit ridiculous.. Once I found a guild the game was much better, but now I still have that mentality that I won’t be good enough in dungeons unless I’m 80. So whether or not it’s true I still stay away from dungeons and just grind or do what I normally do. I still enjoy the game, but feel like when I started the community was very against doing dungeons with anyone who wasn’t 80. And that was very disappointing.

Now my thief on the other hand.. I’ve been running through lands, doing hearts, even maxing crafts and omg.. It’s like she doesn’t want to level haha. I think its because I actually want that character to hit 70/80. So it is torturing me :P

Anti Casual

Posted by: Full MeTaL.7503

Full MeTaL.7503

If you can’t keep up with the pace of the most casual-friendly game in the market then you are doing something wrong.I suggest you to try a single player RPG where you can play whenever and however you want without spoiling the experience for everyone else.

Anti Casual

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

I have no issue with not getting a laurel every day. If you do, either play more and stop complaining, or deal with waiting a little longer for an amulet.

I’m doing the latter, and I’m not missing anything or falling “behind” anybody.

4-8 hours a week here.

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

Anti Casual

Geotherma.2395

Theres no response that will appease every player. But I can say in the end there are two very important details to remember:

1. This is an MMO.
2. This is a money making business.

First and foremost this game has things that make you feel the need to log in every day. That’s the excitement of MMO’s. Even if that daily log in is only 1 hour, thats all they really want. An MMO is not just an RPG, its a sustainable world that MUST change often in order to keep people playing. If you make it so people can log in once a week to get the same rewards as the people get by logging in daily, well then you might as well just make this an RPG. Even in the videos with Colin, as well as other MMO’s you will hear them state “We are working on bringing more to the world, making it so people want to log in everyday.” These words may be said in different ways but always the same idea. In order to have a seemingly “busy” and “active” world you need those players to want to log in everyday. Say you switched everything to monthly. Log in and make it so everyone could complete every reward in a day, and that counted for the month. Where then is the player base in between? These daily are why you see people when you click “log in”, these ongoing meta events and ascended gear is why you see people in zones. Without an active world the world dies, and with it all hope of the game as well as the business becoming worth anything. By far this is probably the most casual you will see, the closest thing you will see to the casual aspect of this game is a console RPG.

Lastly, this is a business. A developing ongoing business. And people seem to think that the devs and leads do not care about the community. This makes no sense! Granted they made their 3 million copies, but do you honestly think they see posts and say “oh who cares, we’re done anyway”? This isn’t smart in any business sense. They do care, and they continue to grow their game. Whether its because they care about you the community or the $$$, it really doesn’t matter. What does matter is that they aren’t giving up, and they are trying. But there’s enough slander and name calling and down trodding of this title and its employees to make anyone want to quit working on the game. There’s more than a dozen ways to play this game, one way isn’t the right way. But if you don’t enjoy it don’t trash it because your own opinion in your mind means more than everyone else.

The fans, the players, the consumers, they are what keep this going. Give them a reason to stay, to log in and be part of the world, and they will. And in my opinion that’s what they have done and continue to do to the best of their ability. I just thank the MMO gods that Arenanet is not NCsoft entirely. I wish them luck, and hope that the players can find what is really special about this game before giving up.

Anti Casual

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

this is the most casual mmo i’ve ever seen. i play in the evenings and i do fine.

playing 30min a night is beyond casual. you will never get anywhere in a mmo playing 30min a night. i’m sorry but it’s true.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Anti Casual

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

This game is extremely casual in almost every way.

No defined combat roles and simplified combat.

Easy to play and get into.

You level very easily.

There’s no need to really ever play with anyone else.

Reward systems that basically reward you for being online.

Mob / content difficulty is laughable.

Customization / aesthetic is largely optional and doesn’t matter too much to combat or group situations.

Sure there is content that caters to other player groups besides casuals, but at the core, this game is very shallow, easy, requires almost no real group coordination, and rewards you for pretty much everything. It’s the pinnacle of a casual MMO, almost to its’ own detriment, so i don’t understand this topic.

We’re not saying it’s no longer casual we’re saying they are moving away from casual. And as for the rewards for just being online, that’s an extreme exaggeration. They don’t reward you enough for the things that you do participate in. They’ve thrown Karma down the toilet with their new laurel system (unless they secretly plan on making the rest of the ascended gear cost Karma points which I doubt) and loot drops / typical casual farming of any kind is all but completely deleted unless you’re one of the contestants that won the secret GW2 lottery where DR doesn’t hit you and you can play freely getting rewarded for participating in DE metas and defend/capture events.

Moving away….. Is what we’re talking about, and it started in Nov.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Anti Casual

laokoko.7403

I never seen any mmorpg so casual as GW2, but I didn’t play GW1.

It is so casual I find it very shallow. Get full exotic 1 day after reaching level80. The stats difference between tier is bare minimum. Dungeon in general is too easy so pug can complete it. People just goof around for 30 minutes a day and get ascended amulet. And what the hardcore people get? Cosmetic tradmill which is just tedious grind for money to get a legendary skin which take like 300 hours. First of all I dont’ even know why I should get ascended since the stats difference is so small. Second of all, you want me to spend 300+ hours “of grinding” for a cosmetic item that barely look better than any other weapon in the game?

So ya people is right. GW2 isn’t casual. Since casual dont’ have 30 minutes a day to play and even that they dont’ have time to do daily… “Oh my god 10 second to craft 10 copper bar and 3 minutes to find water to kill water animal isn’t casual!”

And the problem? eventhough those casual players barely play, they still think they should have the same gear as those that plays 10 hours a day. I dont’ even know why they care, they barely plays, why does it matter? I don’t even know why they introduce ascended gear, there is barely any stats difference. I don’t even care. If not for those elitist gear checking for dungeon I won’t even bother with ascended gear. The only end game is tedious grind for money for a skin since they can’t add any content since you know… “those people that barely play can’t complete them”.

So people are right. GW2 eventhough is the most casual mmorpg “beside maybe GW1”…. still isn’t casual. Since casual don’t have time to play. Maybe they should change the daily to “logon”, “logoff”, and “walk 10 foot”. Or maybe not, those casual dont’ even have time to logon.

(edited by laokoko.7403)